Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

shivers27 wrote: »
    Penny I hope your little one moves into the right position, as you say there's lots of time to move yet. I think I'll try that no drinking after 8pm coz it's a pain getting up and down to the toilet.

Digs I hope last night was just a once off and you get back to sleeping ok.

Are any of you guys going the sma baby fair this weekend ? I went back in 2014 and thought it was pretty good. Ya get loads of freebies :-)[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to go. Too many humans in one place for me when I'm carting my bump around. I'm not a big fan of crowds anyway (gets too hot and stuff) at the best of times and when I'm more likely to be hot and uncomfortable and in need of seats and toilet breaks I just can't imagine going to the baby fair.
    To be honest we have almost all that we need for the baby anyway. I have things to do - finish putting clothes away in the chest of drawers and pack my hospital bag and that but don't need anything other than nappies I think.
    Enjoy it if you do go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Can I ask if any of you know does health insurance cover elective sections. It's very likely I'll need one for breech baby and other issues. I'm not opting for a section it will be needed. Still it's described as elective and I'm not sure what the insurance company's stance is on these.
    Thanks.

screamer wrote: »
    Can I ask if any of you know does health insurance cover elective sections. It's very likely I'll need one for breech baby and other issues. I'm not opting for a section it will be needed. Still it's described as elective and I'm not sure what the insurance company's stance is on these.
    Thanks.

It will depend very much on your particular policy and the company you are insured with. However, I know with mine (I'm on the Simply Health Excess plan with Laya) that a section, if decided upon by the consultant, is covered as is the hospital stay afterwards. They see it as having been deemed medically necessary and so cover it.
    If I asked for it then it would be a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

screamer wrote: »
    Thanks.

Just double check with your insurance company but a section for breech baby is a medical necessity and your consultant will sign for this. Can't remember off the top of my head how many nights stay we're covered for, again double check with your insurance co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Aveen wrote: »
    Hey ladies, sound like we're al starting to feel the pregnancy. Heartburn is really kicking in here.

Shivers I see you've option for elective section, I'm really considering it too, don't want another emergency section. But keep think what if... Over thinking big time.
    Not sure what position baby in at present, GP wasn't sure this am, has be beech but that nothing to worry about until 36wks. Swelling in hands and hand starting too but I know I need to drink more water but mean more toilet trips lol!
    Eight weeks of work left, I'll see how this month goes first, but I'll hope to keep going for as long as possible

Hi Aveen ,
    Yes I've opted for an elective section. I had a Very stressfull labour with my son. He was in distress for most of the time and I was so worried about him. I didn't really dialate at all but he was right down ready to come out. My consultant says she thinks if I tried VBAC I'd have 80% chance of needing another emergency section ! Can't imagine going through that again and ending up with emergency section anyway.

What have the doctos said to you ? What do they suggest for you to do ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Hi Aveen ,
    Yes I've opted for an elective section. I had a Very stressfull labour with my son. He was in distress for most of the time and I was so worried about him. I didn't really dialate at all but he was right down ready to come out. My consultant says she thinks if I tried VBAC I'd have 80% chance of needing another emergency section ! Can't imagine going through that again and ending up with emergency section anyway.

Hi Aveen ,
    Yes I've opted for an elective section. I had a Very stressfull labour with my son. He was in distress for most of the time and I was so worried about him. I didn't really dialate at all but he was right down ready to come out. My consultant says she thinks if I tried VBAC I'd have 80% chance of needing another emergency section ! Can't imagine going through that again and ending up with emergency section anyway

I was very similar to you, went into labour myself but after 16hours and only getting to 4cm (with some help), my son heart rate been effected too, I was getting weaker too. Had to stay on my back to help control his heart rate, they called a section.
    I'm public patient both times so no one doctor has helped with my decision. They said it's likely to end up in section because of my failure to progress. Having scan at 36weeks and seeing consultant at 38 weeks to make decision. I was told I was having small baby and my son was 8lbs 8.5oz & I'm not a big lady .I'm thinking section return, itswant I know & don't want to be emergency reason again. The only reason for not having section is I want to be able to lift my 15month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dusst

Hi all! I'm 29+5 with my first.
    I didn't buy anything yet for the baby but I have checked a couple of shops comparing prices mostly for travel systems and furniture. Tomorrow I'll go to the baby fair. Would you suggest that I order from there if I find something more interesting- cheaper? Have you ever bought anything from there? I've read some comments on facebook regarding late deliveries etc and I'm a bit sceptical.

dusst wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm 29+5 with my first.
    I didn't buy anything yet for the baby but I have checked a couple of shops comparing prices mostly for travel systems and furniture. Tomorrow I'll go to the baby fair. Would you suggest that I order from there if I find something more interesting- cheaper? Have you ever bought anything from there? I've read some comments on facebook regarding late deliveries etc and I'm a bit sceptical.

Hi, I know I'm a little late in replying but I just wanted to let you know (in case you did order things at the baby fair) that my sister ordered her travel system at one last year (she had a baby in October 2015) and was delighted with it and the price she paid for it there too.
    There were no issues with delivery or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Anyone else feel like their bump has exploded? Feel like it's really popped again in the last week. Also feel like it's stretched to its limits... nothing more can fit inside me. I've started to get stretch marks on my belly too :(

Anyone else feel like their bump has exploded? Feel like it's really popped again in the last week. Also feel like it's stretched to its limits... nothing more can fit inside me. I've started to get stretch marks on my belly too :(

Yes! Over the last two weeks or so I feel like there is just no more room for the baby to grow and I have no idea where he will fit for the next few weeks.
    Then people (being nice) tell me I'm so neat and small and it makes it easier. I sometimes want to hurt them a lot. I still can't sit or bend or just exist with comfort.
    Then the little one kicks and it feels lovely and I feel like a wagon.

I do not know how I can last another 8 or 9 weeks to get to my due date. I'm all for the baby making an early appearnce any time from May 16th onwards. Then I'll have had my weekend away in Wineport Lodge and a chance to get my highlights done. I'll be officially 36 weeks then too but the last time I was 36 weeks and delivered a 7lb 2oz baby. Not an issue in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'm going to jinx myself here but surprisingly comfortable where the bumps concerned. Definitely more so than last time. After weeks of discomfort and shortness of breath it's disappeared this week and my bump seems lower so think she's dropped from the height she was at, making life much easier for me. Just feels like I have a basketball up my jumper some days, very strange.

Still sleeping great and feeing good overall. Long long long may it last.

My husband was in agreement at how fast time is going by, my last pregnancy dragged but this time we can't believe it. Not a thing got for a hospital bag or one vest bought for this child, it's the one thing I will be buying as I threw out all her sisters. twill be grand sure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Like Digs I'm doing surprising well. I wasn't looking forward to the last trimester as was afraid I would be massive but I'm still quite neat+ I can wear normal tops in a bigger size. I have probably jinxed myself now and my bump will get huge in the last few weeks! I found the weeks seemed to drag from about 22 to 28 weeks. Think it was because I was worrying about the baby coming very early. Now that I'm 31 weeks I feel I can relax a little about it. I have a mental 7 weeks left in work so think that will help make the time fly.

We had our antinateal class last weekend which eased my nerves a good bit about the labour although I still reckon I'll be screaming for the epidual after 5 mins !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 bonnie_

I'm doing pretty good here too. Have had plenty of energy the past month. Am feeling a few more aches and pains in my back this week so I'm hoping that's just a short phase and not here to stay until babs arrives, could be wishful thinking though! Bump has grown a lot the past month too, was in with my GP today and she says it's growing on track (I'm 30 weeks now). I'm sleeping reasonably well, I'm waking a few times in the night between toilet trips and cramps in my legs. I was cycling to and from work up to recently but am on the bus now so also walking a lot more to and from the bus stops. Definitely feeling much slower when walking now! We've bought some of the stuff we need for hospital bag but haven't washed or packed anything yet and still have a few bits to get together. I'm with the domino midwives so am hoping that all goes well and I can get home quickly after the birth although i'll have to pack with the assumption I'll be staying in, hopefully in practice I won't need too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

bonnie_ wrote: »
    I'm doing pretty good here too. Have had plenty of energy the past month. Am feeling a few more aches and pains in my back this week so I'm hoping that's just a short phase and not here to stay until babs arrives, could be wishful thinking though! Bump has grown a lot the past month too, was in with my GP today and she says it's growing on track (I'm 30 weeks now). I'm sleeping reasonably well, I'm waking a few times in the night between toilet trips and cramps in my legs. I was cycling to and from work up to recently but am on the bus now so also walking a lot more to and from the bus stops. Definitely feeling much slower when walking now! We've bought some of the stuff we need for hospital bag but haven't washed or packed anything yet and still have a few bits to get together. I'm with the domino midwives so am hoping that all goes well and I can get home quickly after the birth although i'll have to pack with the assumption I'll be staying in, hopefully in practice I won't need too much.[/quote

Hi bonnie_,
    How are you finding the Domino scheme?? I'm in it too and it came highly recommended but I'm a little bit anxious about it..or maybe lost is a better word for it! I've only had 1 appt so far as I'm only 28 weeks but it was very similar to my GP visits (ie. Blood pressure, doppler, abdominal measurement). I was hoping for a bit more info on kegels, how to prepare for labour and birth..is that all to come yet?! Maybe I'm panicking a bit too early..just want to be sure I'm as ready as I can be for all that's ahead!! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 bonnie_

Hi Teeley,
    I've had three appointments so far, with the main focus being the various antenatal checks, BP, urine check, doppler for the heartbeat (same as the GP). I've had a different midwife each time and on the advice from my appointment last month I've been doing the different exercises outlined in the domino handbook (not super regular but as often as I can remember!). They are explained pretty well in the handbook so I didn't really have any questions on them. I am booked into antenatal classes with the Domino midwives next month, it's 2 evenings where they'll cover more specifics on labour etc. They also show you the delivery rooms in the hospital if it's possible at the time. I've been following Gentle Birth also so finding that very good, we did a workshop last weekend and myself and my husband are both feeling very positive about labour, birth and welcoming our baby to the world as a result! Any niggling doubts I have from time to time are about breastfeeding so I'll need to start working on positive thoughts about that too.
    I would say Teely to put together a list of questions in advance of your next domino appointment and the midwife can reassure you about what will be covered in the appointments or elsewhere (eg. the antenatal classes).

appledrop wrote: »
    Like Digs I'm doing surprising well. I wasn't looking forward to the last trimester as was afraid I would be massive but I'm still quite neat+ I can wear normal tops in a bigger size. I have probably jinxed myself now and my bump will get huge in the last few weeks! I found the weeks seemed to drag from about 22 to 28 weeks. Think it was because I was worrying about the baby coming very early. Now that I'm 31 weeks I feel I can relax a little about it. I have a mental 7 weeks left in work so think that will help make the time fly.

We had our antinateal class last weekend which eased my nerves a good bit about the labour although I still reckon I'll be screaming for the epidual after 5 mins !

Labour wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Its still labour and appropriately named but it is astonishing what you can do when called on to do it. I did get an epi but it was close to the end. I used my TENS machine for a good bit, got some pethadine but I don't think I'll get that this time around. I didn't like how it made me feel so disconnected from what was going on around me. Once the epi was administered (and I only needed the loading dose of it too which was great) things were grand and I didn't feel a thing. Granted I used the gas and air too. I'm not 100% sure that it really did a whole lot for me but being able to be in charge of it and when I got to use it made me feel a bit better.
    Digs wrote: »
    I'm going to jinx myself here but surprisingly comfortable where the bumps concerned. Definitely more so than last time. After weeks of discomfort and shortness of breath it's disappeared this week and my bump seems lower so think she's dropped from the height she was at, making life much easier for me. Just feels like I have a basketball up my jumper some days, very strange.

Still sleeping great and feeing good overall. Long long long may it last.

My husband was in agreement at how fast time is going by, my last pregnancy dragged but this time we can't believe it. Not a thing got for a hospital bag or one vest bought for this child, it's the one thing I will be buying as I threw out all her sisters. twill be grand sure :)

I'm what they call "very neat" (who has a messy bump:confused:) and I know I am really. I weigh a little under what I did at this stage of my last pregnancy and my bump is just baby nothing else but bloody hell I still can't bend down to put my shoes on with ease and this child has lodged himself in the oddest position inside me. I get so short of breath when sitting down that it feels like someone is sitting on my chest at times. Last night I thought my skin was going to tear apart just under my ribcage he was so stretchy.
    The only comfortable position I could find was a weird almost on all 4s but not quite that either. I eneded up falling asleep like that on the floor for an hour!
    Then I slept so badly. I was convinved that my little girl was crying a lot during the night and so kept waking up. She was snoring her head off the whole time not a bother on her. :rolleyes:
    Arrgghh. Thankfully no work from when I finish today until Tuesday and its only a 2 day week for me next week.

It's definitely alot to do with babies position, nothing to do with the size or shape of a persons bump. I'm just glad my baba has moved out of my ribs and I can breathe again, good baby :)

Someone mentioned kegels a few posts back and just wanted to mention an app called squeezy, it's an NHS physiotherapy app and it reminds you when and how to do them. My physio is obsessed with kegels, obsessed!! She has me do them every week with her! She's right though, I had one bladder episode after my first labour (which thankfully developed in absolutely nothing) but it frightened the living daylights out of me so I'm a kegel nazi ever since! The app is very good for anyone that's interested :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Hey girls hope everyone is well, been so busy lately both my girls have been sick with tonsillitis and flus still all not right here but we are heading in the right direction xx

baby wise doing ok here baby is head down let's hope it stays that way, bump feels like it's at its max I feel like I'm as big now as I was full term with my last baby xx 31+5 here now I have cut down to 3 days in work couldn't hack the craziness of the clinics and Somerset's being so busy been ages between toilet breaks, don't know myself since, getting loads of braxton hicks here too tone is ticking on girls won't be long until we have our little ones here with us xx

Oh betsie meant to ask about that! Got no Braxton hicks last time but have been getting loads lately, for a few weeks now. When I stand up or go up the stairs etc some are a wee bit sore! It's a funny feeing.

Sorry to hear your girls have been sick, hope they're doing better now :)

I slept badly the last few nights in a row and was debating not going to work today as a result. I threw on my game face and went in anyway but was so wrecked by the time I got there and my office so hot and airless (for me anyway) I left again at 11am.
    I almost cried with relief when I got home and went straight to bed. I slept from 11:39am until 15:37!

Sleep rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

bonnie_ wrote: »
    Hi Teeley,
    I've had three appointments so far, with the main focus being the various antenatal checks, BP, urine check, doppler for the heartbeat (same as the GP). I've had a different midwife each time and on the advice from my appointment last month I've been doing the different exercises outlined in the domino handbook (not super regular but as often as I can remember!). They are explained pretty well in the handbook so I didn't really have any questions on them. I am booked into antenatal classes with the Domino midwives next month, it's 2 evenings where they'll cover more specifics on labour etc. They also show you the delivery rooms in the hospital if it's possible at the time. I've been following Gentle Birth also so finding that very good, we did a workshop last weekend and myself and my husband are both feeling very positive about labour, birth and welcoming our baby to the world as a result! Any niggling doubts I have from time to time are about breastfeeding so I'll need to start working on positive thoughts about that too.
    I would say Teely to put together a list of questions in advance of your next domino appointment and the midwife can reassure you about what will be covered in the appointments or elsewhere (eg. the antenatal classes).

Hi bonnie_, thanks for the reply and sensible positive advice! I think yesterday was one of those days where I got slightly overwhelmed by it all! I'll look into gentle birth classes..great if they help hubbie too! Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Oh betsie meant to ask about that! Got no Braxton hicks last time but have been getting loads lately, for a few weeks now. When I stand up or go up the stairs etc some are a wee bit sore! It's a funny feeing.

Sorry to hear your girls have been sick, hope they're doing better now :)

The braxton hicks are worse this time I'm getting then all the time when I'm on the go or sitting down doesn't matter x my baby is measuring about 2 weeks ahead and is head down so I'm kinda hoping I go a little bit early x

Girls are ok have one just finished antibiotics and another started a2nd dose today the lack of sleep is killing me is all xx hopefully on the mend soon and back sleeping x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well Betsie & Penny I'm with you both on the sleepless nights. The baby seems to have decided to change position & it is soooo uncomfortable. Up to now all the movement was in my lower belly or at my side but now the baby feels like it's right under my boobs at the bottom of my ribcage. Which means it keeps me awake. I had my first real experience of heartburn/indigestion. I thought I was going into labour! The pain was unreal like nothing I ever experienced before. Thankfully my husband figured it out and a few Rennes later +it was sorted. How am I going to cope with the real thing;-). Bestie hope your girls are on the mend + your getting more sleep.

appledrop wrote: »
    Well Betsie & Penny I'm with you both on the sleepless nights. The baby seems to have decided to change position & it is soooo uncomfortable. Up to now all the movement was in my lower belly or at my side but now the baby feels like it's right under my boobs at the bottom of my ribcage. Which means it keeps me awake. I had my first real experience of heartburn/indigestion. I thought I was going into labour! The pain was unreal like nothing I ever experienced before. Thankfully my husband figured it out and a few Rennes later +it was sorted. How am I going to cope with the real thing;-). Bestie hope your girls are on the mend + your getting more sleep.

Awww no. The bad nights are the worst. They don't last forever though if thats any good. Last week was horrible for me and I could have (maybe I did and just don't remember because I was so tired:o) cried with tiredness. I then had a great sleep on Saturday night and again last night so feel much better.
    My baby is moving about the place like there is no tomorrow. I love it but also wish I could press pause every so often too.
    Heartburn when it strikes is hateful. I have Gaviscon everywhere, desk drawer at work, car, handbag, coat pockets, upstairs by my bed, on the kitchen windowsill...........I almost always have a touch of it but sometimes it stikes with a vengence.

With regard to the "real thing" I remember being so nervous and concerned about how I'd deal with labour and delivery that I couldn't deal with reading that part of any book without tearing up. Then as it happened the big day came most unexpectedly (which in hindsight was great, I had no time to dwell on it I just had to get on with things) surprisingly I just rolled with it. It is what it is and its never going to be easy as such but it wasn't anything as bad as I thought it was going to be either. Maybe thats because a) you're really dying to meet your little baby at this stage, b) you're more than ready to not be pregnant any more, c) its labour but with a purpose and you know that as much help as you want or need is there, a team of highly trained professionals are there with you every step of the way and d) every single person in that room wants nothing other than the most positive and happy outcome.

I've had Zantac on this pregnancy for heartburn and its a godsend, couldn't manage without it.

Husband is in the states for work this week and then I've told him he's on a travel ban although he's finished with that project for the most part so should be fine. I'm struggling without him, thank god for brilliant parents. One more week in work for me after this one and then I'm on holidays, I just cannot believe how fast the time has gone by, really should start getting things organised.

Miraculously I'm still sleeping although I'm not surprised I'm just shattered.

I've had Zantac on this pregnancy for heartburn and its a godsend, couldn't manage without it.

Husband is in the states for work this week and then I've told him he's on a travel ban although he's finished with that project for the most part so should be fine. I'm struggling without him, thank god for brilliant parents. One more week in work for me after this one and then I'm on holidays, I just cannot believe how fast the time has gone by, really should start getting things organised.

Miraculously I'm still sleeping although I'm not surprised I'm just shattered.

One more week! You're so lucky. I'm wrecked and officially have 6 weeks left in work. Granted they are short weeks given that I do a 3 day week and next Tuesday is a half day because I have an ante natal appointment and then with the May bank holiday I only have two days the week after.

That said I need need need some time to myself and so I have just requested two extra parental leave days next week. It means almost a whole week without pay but I'm just too tired. Also selfishly I want the time to myself not time at home with either my toddler or because I have a new baby to mind too.
    So I am going to sit back and relax and do SFA! It will be lovely. Then at last when I'm back and if I go the whole way to my official maternity leave start date then I'll have had some time to myself and I'll only have 3 and a bit weeks to get through.
    Still really hoping the baby comes early(ish) though. Any time after the 16th is fine with me.

I don't disagree with you on the lucky front! I am taking four weeks annual leave before my maternity leave kicks in, I'll be taking the 16 weeks unpaid so I'm not worried about carrying leave over for the end. I genuinely think women who make it through to 38 weeks in work are superstars, I know from last time I was completely miserable and had to be signed off with SPD early anyway so as soon as I started to get the pelvic niggles this time was like no way am I doing this and sorted the leave out with work back then. I work in town and aside from everything else public transport is a nightmare when heavily pregnant and in pain!

I'm going to keep my lassie with her minder two days a week and see how we go, I want to spend some time with her before the new arrival but am aware I'll be wrecked, our minder is great and has said she's there for her anytime if days need to be increased at short notice etc

Work for me is kind of up in the air anyway, we've definitely decided for me to look for a part time role when it's time for me to go back, of which there seems to be plenty in my profession. I've had enough of the long hours and trekking back and forth into town etc and I just don't want to do it with two kids, I feel guilty enough having subjected number one to it. Granted we are lucky to be in a position financially where it's an option. We toyed with the idea of me taking a year or two off but realistically I wouldn't be happy not working at all.

I don't disagree with you on the lucky front! I am taking four weeks annual leave before my maternity leave kicks in, I'll be taking the 16 weeks unpaid so I'm not worried about carrying leave over for the end. I genuinely think women who make it through to 38 weeks in work are superstars, I know from last time I was completely miserable and had to be signed off with SPD early anyway so as soon as I started to get the pelvic niggles this time was like no way am I doing this and sorted the leave out with work back then. I work in town and aside from everything else public transport is a nightmare when heavily pregnant and in pain!

I'm going to keep my lassie with her minder two days a week and see how we go, I want to spend some time with her before the new arrival but am aware I'll be wrecked, our minder is great and has said she's there for her anytime if days need to be increased at short notice etc

Work for me is kind of up in the air anyway, we've definitely decided for me to look for a part time role when it's time for me to go back, of which there seems to be plenty in my profession. I've had enough of the long hours and trekking back and forth into town etc and I just don't want to do it with two kids, I feel guilty enough having subjected number one to it. Granted we are lucky to be in a position financially where it's an option. We toyed with the idea of me taking a year or two off but realistically I wouldn't be happy not working at all.

I'm being a bit silly and want to keep all 6 weeks of my annual leave to add onto the end of my maternity leave. I also plan on taking the 16 weeks unpaid too. What will work out well for me is that my annual leave year runs April to April so if I manage to do the above I won't be due back until May 15th 2017 (or some such date) and then will have a whole new years worth of leave to take and could add another bit on again.
    We are hoping to move and build a new house in the next year too and so the extra time would be well spent around that.

I don't think I'd ever go back to working full time. Taking two parental leave days per week has been a great way to test the waters around a shorter working week in a financial sense and I know its ok for us. Although we'll see when its two kids not one. ;) With my RA I genuinely don't think I could manage a 5 day week and two kids and still have any energy or zest for life come the weekends and thats not fair on the kids or my husband if I can help it. I wouldn't like to give up the independence of work and my own money totally though all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Great to hear how well everyone is doing. Although I must admit I'm slightly jealous reading about the leave you're both taking. Unfortunately I'll be working right up to 38wks and back after 26wks. Financially we just can't get by on one income. As a teacher, parental leave can only be taken in blocks so there's no option to go back on a 3 or 4 day week. Ah well, such is life.

Had hospital appointment today and delighted to find out baby is no longer breech and is head down! All looking good. Measuring spot on despite the diabetes. Long may it last.

• Advertisement

Great to hear how well everyone is doing. Although I must admit I'm slightly jealous reading about the leave you're both taking. Unfortunately I'll be working right up to 38wks and back after 26wks. Financially we just can't get by on one income. As a teacher, parental leave can only be taken in blocks so there's no option to go back on a 3 or 4 day week. Ah well, such is life.

Had hospital appointment today and delighted to find out baby is no longer breech and is head down! All looking good. Measuring spot on despite the diabetes. Long may it last.

Thats always good to hear. My little one will hopefully turn for exit too!

Are you a primary or secondary school teacher? Although I don't think it makes much difference anymore....I say that because I think you used to be able to not count the summer holidays as part of your maternity leave and then it allowed an extra 2 or 3 months as an add on didn't it? Stupid Haddington Road probably ruined that.
    I can see how a shorter working week wouldn't really be a runner either. My sister is a nurse and they have to take their parental leave in blocks too as that allows for planning of rosters, etc.

Advertisement