Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Rogueish wrote: »
    WHINGE ALERT: Sorry gals I'm hoping that if I get this off my chest my day will miraculously improve.

A part of my work is pretty physical and I have been managing it ok. I knew it would be coming to an end sooner rather than later. Anyway yesterday was my last shift at that particular task and while I knew that I had irritated my SPD (I only have it mildly) it was manageable and I knew that it would be ok today (paracetamol & a heat pack).

However last night I was cooking sausages for my supper and I dropped the hot lid of the pan and jumped out of the way. Well holy mother of the divine it literally dropped me to my knees. Hubby thought I had gone into labour. He has never seen me do that never mind cry from pain. I was barely able to walk never mind turn over in the bed last night. This morning I'm marginally better and getting around with a crutch.

My parents are coming for lunch. The house is like a tip, my hubby is hungover. I can barely move and need a shower badly but the chances are I'll get stuck in the damn thing. My mother is going to go into worry hyperdrive and while I know she will do anything to help she has a serious back condition that is playing up at the moment.

Why Today?!!
    Digs wrote: »
    Roguish you poor thing you've my full sympathies, it's the most awful condition and very hard to explain just how bad it is!

I had an episode that sounds like that last week and I was pretty much hysterically crying that night, I just couldn't stop, my poor husband didn't know what to do with himself. The pain coupled with not being able to move a muscle is just unbearable, the mental pain of spd is almost as bad as the physical. I'd be lost without the walk in shower, I don't know what I'd do.

Just a few tips my physio gave me that I find good, one particular exercise is sit down, put your fist in between your knees and squeeze in as hard as you can against your fist with both knees. It's quite sore to do but for whatever reason mobility afterwards is definitely better. I'm not sure where your particular pain is but mine is most concentrated in my pubic bone at the front so an ice pack underneath my knickers really helps, sexy but effective!! (I put ice in a sandwich bag and wrap it in a tea towel)

Lastly, I'm sure you know this but stay off your feet for a while. After an episode like that you just have to, that's the thing I find hardest as I'm an ocd neat freak and hate sitting about not doing things but it's it's the only thing that heals you or you'll end up setting yourself back again. Keep on the crutches too, I'm on them 70% of the time now, the way I look at it is there's no too much longer left and if it means I can move about better so be it!!

I have solpadol for particularly bad episodes which I try avoid but if you're no better tomorrow maybe take a trip to your GP?

Hope today goes ok and you start feeling a bit better soon!!

Roguish if you didn't moan about that I'd send you to see a psychiatrist! That's a horrible thing to have anyway (SPD), sudden moves like the one you just did naturally make it worse and it always bloody happens when it's the worst time ever doesn't it? I really hope you feel even a bit better soon.

Everything Digs has suggested will help too. So does an ice pack on your pubic bone. It's the oddest thing I think I ever found myself doing while I was pregnant with my daughter but at times my SPD was just that bad that it in addition to the solpadine was the only thing that helped.

None of us like to take such strong painkillers while pregnant but sometimes it's just necessary. I have RA and it's been un treated since February for the health of the baby and my obstetrician has allowed/advised me to take Solpadine when necessary and has offered me a stronger prescription if I need it. Taking the Solpadine hasn't affected my baby one little bit, he is flying along, getting bigger and stronger every day and I'm actually getting very close to reaching for the raspberry leaf tea at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Rogueish how did today go for you, I we that pain it's awful, don't ever sorry about taking pain relief cuz if your not happy and comfortable then baby is not happy and comfortable x during previous pregnancies I was on antibiotics, steroids, pain killers, and babies are perfect xx look after yourself xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Thanks Ladies your sympathies kept me going today. Today was a disaster.

Once I got going today it wasn't so bad. Paracetamol, a heat pack (heat tends to work better for me than an ice pack. My SPD kicks off from muscle spasm in the glutes and groin muscles rather than the joint itself), hubby gave the glutes and groin muscles a bit of a massage and a hot shower finished it off.

I was feeling good enough that the bathroom.no longer looked as if you needed a full biohazard kit to approach it. (Small steps and slow motion). I even took the covers off the sofa to wash and dry them. Nesting never kicks in at the right time!

Hubby was sent to grab some bbq steaks for Lunch (quick thinking - hubby would be doing the cooking). Then disaster struck my 5 year old comes screaming in the door with blood streaming down his arm. Cue me heading out the gate to A&E as my parents are driving in.

An 8 inch laceration, 4 hours, a dozen stitches and almost the same number of steristrips later we arrive home. Me with small steps and very careful turns. Oh how I wish a large glass of wine awaited but instead paracetamol, with a sparkling water 'chaser', the comfort of a heat pack and an early to bed are my 'treats'. Let tomorrow dawn a brighter day!

I hope the rest if you ladies had a less eventful day and enjoyed the beautiful sunshine.

Oh rogueish your joking what a disaster of a day x hope your 5yr old is doing OK xx how did you sleep last night x

My 2 girls were in bed at 7 passed out asleep after playing outside all day and a bath they slept till 7 this morning amazing 😀😀

1st day off eldest of to playschool for the morning so just me and an almost 2 year olds for the morning what will I do haha xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Oh gosh rogueish it never rains but it pours! Hope your little one is ok.

We had a lovely day, brought my girl to her friends birthday party and then spent the day in the garden with the paddling pool and slide etc finished off with a bbq. Pure bliss. All I was missing was a cold Pinot Grigio!!

Betsie in the same boat here today, out the back with the factor 50 on and she's in the paddling pool already, I'm plonked on a chair and don't plan on moving much :) enjoy whatever ye get up to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Rogueish what a weekend you have had! Hope things have settled down a bit today+ your 5 year old is doing ok. I don't know how you ladies are coping with the SPD. I find it very uncomfortable some days but am lucky that I have no real issues at this stage. I had a nice weekend getting some last bits + pieces + relaxing in the sun. We had a nice barbecue like everyone else except I could here all the neighbours enjoying their glass of wine/processo while I was sipping on my 7up! Think I'll have to introduce the beer ban on my hubby soon so he can suffer with me. I mean we never know when labour could start;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Last day in work today. Wohoo!

Definitely feeling more pressure down below and people keep commenting on how the bump had dropped. Have a few little aches but nothing considerable. Blood sugars have leveled out the last few days too so hoping these are all indications that something will happen sooner rather than later.

It's going to be torture if I go over.

Had 37 week appointment today. Blood sugars have started to settle wohoo. Baby is head down and well engaged. Estimated weight is 3.5kg which is about 7lb 11oz. Back in next Tues for an internal exam to assess if induction is possible. She said if cervix is soft they might consider induction, if not they'll wait another week but I definitely won't be going overdue. I also have to start trying to express colostrum and build up a stash for baby after to help stabilize blood sugars.

All getting very real :O

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Hey, have growth scan tomorrow, hopefully this will make a easier decision for VBAC or not. My head saying just go for elective section, feeling happier cause it's what I know.

I'm hoping to express colostrum for two weeks before birth too, let me know how you get on

Hi ladies so had my appointment with the consultant today. Baby still in same position so that means all looking good for the birth. Head not engaged yet but not surprised as my bump still high so hopefully that means I won't have to finish work early. Some white cells in urine so have to get this checked in case of an infection. She also brought up whopping cough + really recommend it as unfortunately a baby died recently from it :-( . So think I'll get it but hate getting vaccines as always seem to have a reaction + really don't want to end up sick at this stage. How many of you got it +did anyone have a bad reaction?

• Advertisement

I got the whooping cough vaccine last week and just felt increase tiredness but that was it. I didn't it the last time but it's doing the rounds at mo, so I felt happy to get it this time.

Delighted to hear all going well with you pregnancy and baby in good position

Glad to hear all appointments going well girls, I'm not back in the hospital until Tuesday, nothing mad to report here bar feeling like this child is trying to claw her way out of my bits and pieces :) 36 weeks today, how did that happen??

Appledrop I got the whooping cough vaccine last week with my GP, again she strongly recommended it. Only side affect I had was a really sore arm which lingered for a few days and feeling exhausted, let's be fair though, that's par for the course at this stage in the game!

Thanks for the quick replies ladies I think I will get it. My consultant was saying that usually coming into the summer she wouldn't be overly concerned about people getting it but unfortunately it is doing the rounds at the moment +reading nhs website it seems wise to get it. Great we are all doing so well. Hazelnut Button looking like you could beat us all to it+ you might even have a May baby! Don't abandon us June ladies if you doðŸ˜႒

I got whooping cough vaccine around 28weeks. No side effects really, arm just a bit tender after.

Aveen I tried hand expressing some colostrum this evening. Got a few drops but found it impossible to get them into the cup. Reckon I lost most of it on my boob. Hopefully I'll get more efficient over the next few days.

Don't worry appledrop I'll be staying on the June thread regardless of bubs arrival. Been here from the get go, going nowhere.

Glad to hear all appointments are going well I have my check up Thursday can't believe how close to the finish we are x have all my waxing booked for Friday morning how exciting haha xx

Hey ladies, well growth scan went well, baby averaging just under 6lbs and I've 4 weeks to go ðŸ˜. See midwife tomorrow so hope to have chat about preparing myself. Decided to get wax today for the fear of not be ready lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

appledrop wrote: »
    Hi ladies so had my appointment with the consultant today. Baby still in same position so that means all looking good for the birth. Head not engaged yet but not surprised as my bump still high so hopefully that means I won't have to finish work early. Some white cells in urine so have to get this checked in case of an infection. She also brought up whopping cough + really recommend it as unfortunately a baby died recently from it :-( . So think I'll get it but hate getting vaccines as always seem to have a reaction + really don't want to end up sick at this stage. How many of you got it +did anyone have a bad reaction?

I had the whooping cough vaccine a while ago. I had no side effects except a slightly sore arm.

Aveen wrote: »
    Hey ladies, well growth scan went well, baby averaging just under 6lbs and I've 4 weeks to go ðŸ˜. See midwife tomorrow so hope to have chat about preparing myself. Decided to get wax today for the fear of not be ready lol

Glad your scan went well :-)

Have decided on VBAC or ELCS ? It's a very hard decision isn't it ?! Xx

Scan went well today thank God, my bp is good 1st time in ages babe measuring spot on and is head down 3 1/2 weeks and counting x

Great news especially about the BP. Not long left now at all.

• Advertisement

Fantastic news Betsie :-) Everything looking good x

So I'm 36+2 and still pregnant despite thinking "this is it" on two occasions. One was last Wednesday when I had many many braxton hicks and the other on Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning. They woke me up at 01:30 and kept going until close to 05:00........ But still no baby.
    He has quietened down a fair bit- regular movement still but space has clearly become an issue. Please feel free to be born any day now baby.

So I'm 36+2 and still pregnant despite thinking "this is it" on two occasions. One was last Wednesday when I had many many braxton hicks and the other on Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning. They woke me up at 01:30 and kept going until close to 05:00........ But still no baby.
    He has quietened down a fair bit- regular movement still but space has clearly become an issue. Please feel free to be born any day now baby.

Aw Penny, it's hard when you're so sure something is gonna happen and it doesn't ! I'm at GP on Monday so I'll be so interested to see if baby is still breech or not. 3 and half weeks till my section :-)

Good stuff re the BP betsie!

I'm strangely content at the moment, I feel like this pregnancy has just flown by and the end is in sight, it can't last forever :)

I can feel a bit of swelling creeping in, feeling puffy and tight in the hands and feet. I can get my rings on but they're more comfy off so I think I'll keep them off from now on. Have had a niggly background headache since Monday but nothing bad enough to be worried about, think it's all the extra fluid!

I had a breastfeeding consultant out to the house during the week, was absolutely fantastic and I'm feeling much more confident this time, she'll be on hand if any problems arise after the birth so I'm feeling very prepared! My daughter is captivated by the whole thing, she's been breastfeeding her dolly ever since, it's gas :D

Yeah I'm delighted bp is back on track I have some swelling in hand and feet I'm the same with the rings I can get them on and off but I think I'm going to leave them off its more comfortable x

Had an awful night last night with my smallest she woke at 1.15 and was awake till nearly 4 up ready to play no sign of sleep at all on her, to say I'm wrecked today is an understatement xx

Every day is a day closer one way I can't wait to meet baby but another way I'm enjoying every last second and kick as this is my last pregnancy x happy and sad time xx

Hey ladies,
    Haven't make a decision re VBAC or ESC. I kinda feel like I'm cheating or just been a scary cat by having ESC. I've done my research and the average success of VBAC after the my emcs reasons is only in 45- 50%. But having ECS Is major surgery and take longer to recovery but so is deep tear if baby difficult to delivery. I one way I like to try because this is my last pregnancy but am I really missing out if I don't have VB.

Advise welcome ladies.

Ah Aveen sorry I've no advice as I haven't experienced a section etc but don't be so hard on yourself. You're in no way cheating or a scarey cat whatever you decide, personally I think you're very brave either way! You have to make the best decision for you and your baby, I can't imagine it's an easy decision to make!

Ive only had one delivery and it was a VB so have nothing to compare it to but I don't think any woman who has delivered her baby by section (whether planned or emergency) can be seen as cheating.
    From the moment we find put we are pregnant to the minute our babies are handed to us every decision we make is made in their best interests. Our bodies become theirs too and they act like illegal miners taking all they want and need and to hell with the consequences for us! Making a decision around section rather than a VB is not taking the easy way out at all especially when you have another baby at home already. If it makes things a little easier for you I.e. Less traumatic a time in the hospital, things are planned and happen on a schedule etc then that's ok, I really don't buy into the (as I see it) developing cult of maternal martyrdom at all.
    Our ultimate outcome is for a healthy and happy baby and well functioning family unit, how that is achieved is up to each individual woman/ couple and it's not anyone's business how they get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Aveen just jumping in re c section. I had an emcs due to pre eclampsia at 36+5, recovery was fine. Tbh I recovered better and quicker than a friend who had a vaginal birth with intervention a few weeks before me. I thought a section meant minimum six weeks of being pretty useless but I was out and about by week 2 and "next time" I'm hoping for a scheduled section as it went so well for me. But then someone I know just had a perfect vbac with only gas and air and she feels a million times better than she did after emcs.

Do whatever you think is best for you, I thought I had "failed" after emcs and that future babies are likely to be cs, but pffft it was grand for me so I'd prefer the devil I know and how they come into the world is a minor part of the big picture of their lives.

• Advertisement

Prob tmi but is diarrhoea a sign that things could be happening sooner rather than later? Have had it on and off the last week or so but has definitely ramped up the last day or two. Also a bit more discharge. No mucus plug or anything tho.

Advertisement