Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out in Killarney

Options
  • 28-09-2015 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    I am travelling to Killarney for the Adventure Race this weekend. The night before the race, we really want to "carb load", so are ideally looking for somewhere that gives generous portions of decent food, ideally something like pasta. I don't know the area so am hoping some kind person here can help out a (very) novice racer...

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for a pub that will show the rugby and serve decent food on the Saturday evening, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Milanos is an Italian place on main street, I've never eaten there myself but it's always packed so they must be doing something right. As for the match, you could try The Porterhouse, The Dannyman, the pub in The Royal Hotel or possibly McSweeney Arms hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Their is a nice little mexican at the side carpark near pennies.
    Can't remember the name of it but it was lovely
    Carbylicious..couldn't move after it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Darsy123

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Keep them coming! ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Not Milanos.

It's grand like, as you would expect from some place with a number of outlets. Don't like franchise Italians, the Jamie Oliver one you see in some cities is poor. I think they are good for kids, but that's not what the OP wants, he wants a mound of pasta. Would much prefer a small bistro for pasta, maybe google Cucina Italiana in Killarney and check their menu and prices etc.

Not Milanos.

It's grand like, as you would expect from some place with a number of outlets. Don't like franchise Italians, the Jamie Oliver one you see in some cities is poor. I think they are good for kids, but that's not what the OP wants, he wants a mound of pasta. Would much prefer a small bistro for pasta, maybe google Cucina Italiana in Killarney and check their menu and prices etc.

Milanos isn't a franchise and isn't aimed specifically at children, but is a bit pricey although the pizzas are good, probably the best in Killarney. But wouldn't be my choice for pasta.

Jamie's Italian isn't in Killarney of course but is a step up in quality from Milanos for not much, if any more, money. Would be my choice but Dundrum is a bit of a taxi ride :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Milanos isn't a franchise :D
    Its a chain restaurant - same menu in all their stpres all over UK (Pizza Express) and Ireland. Pricey too, but plenty of coupons available.

A little too clinical for my liking, but as chain restaurants go, its quite good.

Robertinos is a proper Italian restaurant
    http://www.robertinosrestaurant.com/

At the end of the Day, Killarney town centre is fairly small, very easy to walk from end to end in 10 minutes and looking at menu boards.

Most pubs will have the rugby - so plenty of choice.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Its a chain restaurant - same menu in all their stpres all over UK (Pizza Express) and Ireland. Pricey too, but plenty of coupons available.

A little too clinical for my liking, but as chain restaurants go, its quite good.

Robertinos is a proper Italian restaurant
    http://www.robertinosrestaurant.com/

At the end of the Day, Killarney town centre is fairly small, very easy to walk from end to end in 10 minutes and looking at menu boards.

Most pubs will have the rugby - so plenty of choice.
    Well I think everyone will know it's a chain since its pretty high profile, my point was it wasn't a franchise which can vary a little more, even if they're not supposed to. Agree it's expensive for what it is.

I suppose I commented because it's a good mid range standard whereas very very many Italian restaurants in Ireland are pretty poor (not talking about any mentioned in this thread).

Advertisement