Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an African Dubliner

Options
  • 28-09-2015 5:01pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next volunteer to do an AMA is a man who has come to live in Dublin via Lagos, Nigeria. He was born in Lagos but moved to Ireland with his family thirteen years ago when he was a teenager to the suburbs of Dublin. Since then he has made Dublin his home and has become an Irish citizen.

Timi loves to take photos and blog about Dublin so he may tell you a little about that too if you ask :)

---
    My own question for you - was there a huge culture shock involved when you first moved to Ireland or had you visited before your family made the move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hi!

My first question is sports related. Do you like football? Can I guess that you are an Arsenal fan if so? Most Nigerian people I know are Gunners fans! Have you ever attended any League of Ireland matches?

Do any of your family have awesome names? I've heard some cool ones like Goodluck, Marvellous and Wisdom. There needs to be more of these names around.

Finally, do you know of many/any white people in Nigeria with distinctive Nigerian accents? That's something I've never heard or seen.

Thank you an best of luck with your AMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Omackeral wrote: »

Do any of your family have awesome names? I've heard some cool ones like Goodluck, Marvellous and Wisdom. There needs to be more of these names around.

I know of a Blessing, Godswill, Success, Gold and Godstime. Deadly names!

My question is around cultural norms. How do you/ have you adapted to Irish norms. For example, I know that equality in the home is something African women I have met can get frustrated with. They are here years, yet their husbands do not adapt to the more "modern" way of helping with the kids/ housework/ earning money. Do your family / friends struggle with these issues?

Thanks for doing this, I think it will be really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Congratulations on your citizenship Timi.

What made your family choose to live in Dublin over the other European cities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Congratulations on your citizenship! :)

Have you experienced much racist abuse in your years in Dublin? I hope not, but i fear so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What tribe do you belong to? Do you speak its dialect.

I've a lot of yoraba and Igbo friends but was talking to someone recently who only spoke English.

I love dough balls :)

• Advertisement

Congratulations on your citizenship. :)

What one thing about Dubs would you say you like most?

What one thing about Dubs would you say annoys/frustrates/freaks you out the most?

Which photo of Dublin that you've taken would you call your favourite?

Have you got into the habit we have here of saying "grand" the way people in other English-speaking places would say "nice", "fine" or "OK"?

An bhfuil aon Ghaeilge agat (Have you learned any Irish)?

Sorry, that's a few questions, so be selective if you have to. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Are you usually this quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

What are the things about Ireland it has taken you longest to understand?

If you have any political aspirations, what are three things you think you might "easily" change in Ireland?

What's the biggest fashion mistake that most Irish men make regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Where do you recommend for Naija food in Dublin?

• Company Representative Posts: 52 Verified rep I Am Timi, AMA

Our next volunteer to do an AMA is a man who has come to live in Dublin via Lagos, Nigeria. He was born in Lagos but moved to Ireland with his family thirteen years ago when he was a teenager to the suburbs of Dublin. Since then he has made Dublin his home and has become an Irish citizen.

Timi loves to take photos and blog about Dublin so he may tell you a little about that too if you ask :)

---
    My own question for you - was there a huge culture shock involved when you first moved to Ireland or had you visited before your family made the move?
    Funny you ask Niamh, when I first came here and someone first said to me, "howaya" I swore I wasn't in an English speaking country!

The only real shock I had here was how much alcohol permeates society; apart from that, I've been lucky enough to live far and wide in my lifetime ��

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hi!

My first question is sports related. Do you like football? Can I guess that you are an Arsenal fan if so? Most Nigerian people I know are Gunners fans! Have you ever attended any League of Ireland matches?

Finally, do you know of many/any white people in Nigeria with distinctive Nigerian accents? That's something I've never heard or seen.

Thank you an best of luck with your AMA.
    I do love football!

And no, sorry to disappoint you but I am not an arsenal fan (my dad is). Many Nigerians are either Chelsea or Manchester city fans these days (I am neither).

My family have normal names very boring right? We are - Timi, Dami, Temi and Tomi (very imaginative!)

I actually have a few friends with an American mom who lived in Nigeria their whole lives until after high school!

Phew!

p.s. I'm watching the Arsenal game at the moment...

ElleEm wrote: »
    I know of a Blessing, Godswill, Success, Gold and Godstime. Deadly names!

My question is around cultural norms. How do you/ have you adapted to Irish norms. For example, I know that equality in the home is something African women I have met can get frustrated with. They are here years, yet their husbands do not adapt to the more "modern" way of helping with the kids/ housework/ earning money. Do your family / friends struggle with these issues?

Thanks for doing this, I think it will be really interesting.
    I know exactly what you mean! I mean, why move if you are not going to assimilate some of the culture?!?

Most of my friends are Irish (born) as a matter of proximity and my girlfriend (of 7 years) is Irish. I do more cooking and cleaning up than she does ������

Congratulations on your citizenship Timi.

What made your family choose to live in Dublin over the other European cities?
    Thank you!

My dad was here training pilots in the 80s and apparently he loved it.

Here I am.

His are stuck with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Do you like Cheese? What is your favourite type of cheese?

Is there much of a difference between the cheeses of Ireland and those in Nigeria, like, can you pick up a good cheddar in Nigeria, also what is the most popular cheese in Nigeria?

Have you experienced much racist abuse in your years in Dublin? I hope not, but i fear so.
    Thank you!!

I have but not enough to dampen my love for Dublin (and Ireland)

Read more on that - http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/growing-up-black-in-dublin-1891695-Jan2015/

What tribe do you belong to? Do you speak its dialect.

I've a lot of yoraba and Igbo friends but was talking to someone recently who only spoke English.

I love dough balls :)
    I'm a Yoruba man! And I do understand the lesser levels of its inner workings!

I speak a bit of French, Portuguese and I do English good ��

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He's a dub, deserves all the abuse he gets. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Do you consume much Nigerian media?

I'm not averse to listening to a bit of Nigerian radio because it is something different to what I am used to, but it is presented in English.

Congratulations on your citizenship. :)

What one thing about Dubs would you say you like most?

What one thing about Dubs would you say annoys/frustrates/freaks you out the most?

Which photo of Dublin that you've taken would you call your favourite?

Have you got into the habit we have here of saying "grand" the way people in other English-speaking places would say "nice", "fine" or "OK"?

An bhfuil aon Ghaeilge agat (Have you learned any Irish)?

Sorry, that's a few questions, so be selective if you have to. :o
    Thank you!!!

I love the banter,
    I'm freaked out by (excessive) alcohol consumption,
    There are too many to choose from, take a look at my website - www.iamtimi.com or @tweetymonkey on Instagram!
    I say ALL the colloquialisms,
    I was exempt from Irish class. Tá.

Phew!

Nib wrote: »
    Are you usually this quiet?
    Not quiet, just insanely busy ��

• Advertisement

What are the things about Ireland it has taken you longest to understand?

If you have any political aspirations, what are three things you think you might "easily" change in Ireland?

What's the biggest fashion mistake that most Irish men make regularly?
    I still don't understand why people say 'To-mah-toe' instead of 'to-may-to' or 'veetamin' instead of 'vitamin' like wtf lads?

Politics?
    I would change the current tenures and make them longer with penalties for not implementing manifesto promises.
    I would attempt to centralize policy making.
    I would empower the youth as much as possible.

Fashion?
    Omg flare jeans and brown car shoes. Give me death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Do you think religion is a big thing among the Nigerian community in Dublin? My two colleagues were disputing this over lunch recently but could not agree!

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Where do you recommend for Naija food in Dublin?
    If you could tell me? I actually have no idea (I am too continental)

scudzilla wrote: »
    Do you like Cheese? What is your favourite type of cheese?

Is there much of a difference between the cheeses of Ireland and those in Nigeria, like, can you pick up a good cheddar in Nigeria, also what is the most popular cheese in Nigeria?
    Lol... Nigerian cheese.
    Lol... Lol.

Dairylea spreadable is the height of our cheese expertise. My girlfriend loves a bitta Brie but I'm fine with processed cheese please and thanks

He's a dub, deserves all the abuse he gets. :pac:
    Omg a Dub hater.

Do you consume much Nigerian media?

I'm not averse to listening to a bit of Nigerian radio because it is something different to what I am used to, but it is presented in English.
    I consume little to no Nigerian media.

To be honest I never have as I've always found it very repetitive and to that extent quite boring. If not boring, then just crass or offensive.

Take Nollywood (the third largest film industry in the world), pretty much all the movies can be categorized into 3 or 4 genres and all the movies have the EXACT same plot. Seriously. Then there's the actors... Who can't act. Then there's the production quality... Actually there is none.

Do I sound negative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

To be honest I never have as I've always found it very repetitive and to that extent quite boring. If not boring, then just crass or offensive.

Take Nollywood (the third largest film industry in the world), pretty much all the movies can be categorized into 3 or 4 genres and all the movies have the EXACT same plot. Seriously. Then there's the actors... Who can't act. Then there's the production quality... Actually there is none.

Do I sound negative?

Can you point out a sample trailer or two on YouTube? This could be fun!

mhge wrote: »
    Do you think religion is a big thing among the Nigerian community in Dublin? My two colleagues were disputing this over lunch recently but could not agree!
    I am excluded from certain sections because I'm an atheist, which is ridiculous on their part. Does that answer your question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Omg a Dub hater.

We got jackets :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Do I sound negative?

Not at all. But I enjoy the radio. I listen to Nigeriainfo from Abuja and Splash FM from Ibadan on tune in. They have had interesting guests like a phone in with their head of police traffic corps, and there was a load of interesting advice at the time of the ebola outbreak in Western Africa.

But I guess that is a bit off topic. I recommend it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement