Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an African Dubliner

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 52 Verified rep I Am Timi, AMA

mhge wrote: »
    Can you point out a sample trailer or two on YouTube? This could be fun!
    Exhibit A - http://youtu.be/VqEvoqtGOtQ

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Do you have a Dublin accent?

What do/did you make of "traditional" Irish food? (stew, bacon and cabbage and the likes, would be on the first plane out myself if that's what I though I'd be stuck with)

Not at all. But I enjoy the radio. I listen to Nigeriainfo from Abuja and Splash FM from Ibadan on tune in. They have had interesting guests like a phone in with their head of police traffic corps, and there was a load of interesting advice at the time of the ebola outbreak in Western Africa.

But I guess that is a bit off topic. I recommend it.
    I might check it out but to be honest it isn't my cup of tea. When I listened to talk shows in the past, I found the views of many listeners to be archaic and their stances both aggressive and patronizing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

What did I just see!! Nollywood rules :D

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Do you have a Dublin accent?

What do/did you make of "traditional" Irish food? (stew, bacon and cabbage and the likes, would be on the first plane out myself if that's what I though I'd be stuck with)
    I've lived in a lot of countries so I have this weird intra continental accent lol

We eat lots of Indian and Italian food at home (my girlfriend band I) but her dad makes a mean Sunday dinner.

Cabbage does not agree with me however...

• Advertisement

Hahaha pls stahp!

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Where do you recommend for Naija food in Dublin?
    p.s. Great work on the Naija word there #A1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's imaginative :D

Hi Timi, would you ever think about taking a trip (holiday?) back to Nigeria? Would you recommend it to Irish people looking for a different kind of place to take a holiday?

Also, not a question, but your glasses are soo cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Do you believe that it takes a village to raise a child?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Great photos and words on your website Timi.

My question is - the old lady with the shades - was she making that gesture at you - and if so, why?

• Advertisement

It's imaginative :D

Hi Timi, would you ever think about taking a trip (holiday?) back to Nigeria? Would you recommend it to Irish people looking for a different kind of place to take a holiday?

Also, not a question, but your glasses are soo cool :D
    I go back maybe once a year or every other year at this stage... For the heat and the the nostalgia.

It's not really tourist friendly to be honest with you. Everything is far away and a little strange but it would definitely be an experience!

Not an answer, but thank you!

Do you believe that it takes a village to raise a child?!
    I believe it takes a child to make a village

Great photos and words on your website Timi.

My question is - the old lady with the shades - was she making that gesture at you - and if so, why?
    Haha that's a picture of a sticker on a pole of someone taking a picture of her hahaha ��

Thanks for the kind words!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I dunno if you read much, but are there any Nigerian writers in Dublin that you'd recommend, or know about? I know there was the playwright Bisi Adigun but I was wondering are there others writing about life here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

If you could tell me? I actually have no idea (I am too continental)

The only wan I know that's still going is downstairs in Moore St. To ma palate, it's a decent jollof rice ;)

Do you like 2Face?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Hi Timi,

What area of work are you involved in and was it easy to get work?

Have you been to every county in Ireland yet?

Have you tried to play hurling yet?

If you could change just one thing about Ireland, what would it be?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Why is everyone I met from Nigeria a prince?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Hey Timi,

I read the article you linked a few posts ago...interesting read, some of the points you make I find familiar as a foreigner myself, although I "only" had to travel from Italy.

One thing resounds with me particularly - the reference a lot of people make to Dublin as "sh1te city!"; I often find it coming from individuals originating from rural areas and/or small villages, who also go on to complain about crime, traffic, dirtiness and whatnot, when compared to other European cities of similar size, Dublin would most likely come off with the upper hand.

How do you find this kind of attitude? Does the whole rural/small town culture that permeates Ireland and the aversion to urbanization look like somewhat of a problem in your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Whenever you go home could you find out where my great uncle wilbert left the 25m lotto winnings i was promised!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What kind of food do you eat and have you a good source for getting the ingredients in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

King or Tayto?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

How do you feel about the LGBTQIA+ community?

I realise you've called Dublin home quite a long time now but given Nigeria is so staunchly against it I'm wondering has any of that mentality penetrated into your own mindset?

Also, great pics on your Instagram!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Do you have an opinion on the portrayal of Africa and Africans in Hollywood films?

I'm thinking of films like District 9... I know it was made in South Africa but I heard that the portrayal of Nigerians in the film upset a lot of people. Or films like Mean Girls, where the main character has moved to the US from Africa (nothing more specific, as if Africa itself is a country) and all the references to her time there are about lions and elephants and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

To what extent do you find racism prevalent in Ireland? A friend of mine is African and he says that he encounters no outright hostility, but he would notice a lot of low level stuff (people crossing the street to not walk by him, he would get people blatantly staring at him, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If you were being racially abused on the street and it was fairly vocal, how would you feel about other members of the public speaking up for you? I was in Galway today and I couldn't hear what was being said coz I was in a cafe but I saw what looked to be a verbal altercation between a man (who didn't look Irish, maybe more Eastern) and a couple of black men. I was wondering if I was outside and I was sure it was racial abuse, how would I react?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I see in your article that you clearly consider yourself Irish and associate yourself with that but do you still connect with your Nigerian identity much or at all?

I notice that you've been in Ireland a long time, a lot longer than many foreign immigrants have been. Have you found that the Irish approach to immigrants has changed much over that time?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hey Timi,
    Is the bike OK? :)
    I don't really have any questions, just to say that I've been following your online stuff for a while now and it's great to see such positivity and how you have embraced Dublin!
    Lovely to see how you are involved with artists from other circles like Btiter Rocc....do you have anything in the pipeline with Alan Newman & Jonathan Lambert?

EDIT: Nice cameo in the new Flynn Johnson video :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭rgossip30

All so wonderful and lovely .

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Do you like tayto sambos?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Do you use Dublin Bus, Red Line Luas, Green Line Luas or DART?
    What is your experience on these services?
    In a former boards incarnation I was gugleguy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement