Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an African Dubliner

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

There is no shortage of zenophobia in Ireland.

What's that? An irrational fear of Japanese Buddhism?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Are pets part of Nigerian culture and family life? Did you have a dog or cat growing up?

• Company Representative Posts: 52 Verified rep I Am Timi, AMA

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Will Louis van Gaal's 'philosophy' ever come to fruition?
    LVG's philosophy is as elusive as the mythical unicorn. No one knows what it truly looks like. Not even LVG.

Shrap wrote: »
    Don't know anyone it does agree with. Nice though...but I regret it in the morning :eek:

Found that a weird question. Not sure I know any Irish natives who've traveled to every county. My London fella has seen more of Ireland than I have! Kavanagh is amazing tho - I must look up that trail and maybe learn more about my own country!

My question is a bit heavy, sorry in advance! I grew up atheist in Ireland and perhaps as a result, am a bit of a one-trick-pony in that the separation of church and state in Ireland is something I have taken up as a bit of a mission. In your living here as an atheist (having lived in places where atheism is a much more dangerous and frowned upon "lack" of belief), do you notice the prevalence of religious interference in matters of state here, or is it so inconsequential (by comparison to cultures you have experienced) that we complain without justification? Bearing in mind that you haven't mentioned if you have children, and that the school system is where you might encounter this first as a new Irish person.....
    At this stage, I'm not as new an Irish person as I think you believe (it's been three years).

In terms of separation of church and state there are a number of places where a lack of it is still evident but it is very obvious that within the next generation, many of those will be phased out. One religious belief or rather none shouldn't have the power over autonomous individuals.

In order not to offend anyone, I'll leave it at that.

Following up on this point, how do you feel about articles like this, by British Asian writer Ashitha Nagesh, who said
    I vehemently disagree with her views. As thick skinned as some* people are, many are not. We cannot discourage good intentions and the good deeds of fellow humans, especially when they take courage.

I know myself now at this stage that anything non physical that occurs to me I can very easily brush off but having someone actually speak up while that incident occurs would do the world of good and may start a chain reaction with any other person who might have not taken action.

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    That is my view of Dublin as well, and I know it's shared by many foreigners I spoke to.

I frankly think the whole mentality holds the country back a little bit. It's already amazing what a country of only 4.3 million people has done, but I feel the potential is even greater; The problem I see, and I quote some Irish friends (Dubs and Corkonians alike), is one of "culchie interests" given far too much weight compared to major areas. Take it as you will - it took me years to even understand what "culchie" means :)

Even on a "single person" level, I see people precluding themselves opportunities - many times I heard the "oh I would never go to Dublin, such a cr@p place, the traffic, the crime, the..." story...
    Totally agree!

thanks. your 20% is in the post
    Extra 20% to hold while the 25 million is resting here? You are too kind. So trusting. I have another opportunity for you...

Hi Tami, great thread, thanks for all your answers.

I hate hearing of any instances of racism against anyone and I'm glad that you have only experienced it relatively infrequently. There is no shortage of racism and zenophobia in Ireland.

My question is do you find that the wider African community are just as capable of displaying elements of racism as anyone else?
    Definitely. The problem they have is that they don't see it as racism, but almost as a sense of justice. Sometimes it is a distrust that borders on disgust and I find that disturbing.

There are many instances I've seen of it being passed down generationally and that worries me. You don't see many ethnic minority teens and pre teens (black in my case) mixing with Irish people and that lack of inclusion will lead to big problems in the next decade.

Taboola wrote: »
    Do you watch Fair City?
    Lol.

No.

GerB40 wrote: »
    As a Dub, do you prefer the hurling or the (gaelic) football?
    I don't watch either, but I do prefer football... COYBIB!

• Advertisement

Iyaibeji wrote: »
    Growing up did you find a huge difference between the way your parents parented and the general Irish way of parenting?

Also, for bonus points, can you guess the names of two of my kids?
    Massive difference.

There is a lack of trust between most African parents and their children. They almost expect the worst when they should expect the best. And I'm not talking about my situation as I've been lucky!

Physical punishment is also second nature which I find appalling. I'm guessing your kids are Taiwo and Kehinde? #LuckyGuess

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

Massive difference.

There is a lack of trust between most African parents and their children. They almost expect the worst when they should expect the best. And I'm not talking about my situation as I've been lucky!

Physical punishment is also second nature which I find appalling. I'm guessing your kids are Taiwo and Kehinde? #LuckyGuess

Spot on!

Yeah, we are in constant evolution here trying to balance the Nigerian and Irish parenting styles.
    It is most difficult in the teen years!

Thankfully bababeji is on the same page as me when it comes to physical punishment, we do not tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

Re racism,
    I, as an Irish woman married to a Nigerian man, have experienced a lot of racism from some Nigerian women over the years.
    however I have also experienced great kindness and friendship from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

In terms of separation of church and state there are a number of places where a lack of it is still evident but it is very obvious that within the next generation, many of those will be phased out. One religious belief or rather none shouldn't have the power over autonomous individuals.

Fair enough, agree with you, and thanks! However, (and there's nothing wrong with being relatively new to Ireland btw, was interested in what you see, as you may be more objective than me), you're definitely a newby if you think that "the obvious" ever changes anything here!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I wrote an article on that in the previous comments, at the moment I don't really get much if any at all but today I put my bag down for a second and a woman almost jumped a mile (BOMB!)

Living in London in the 1970s/80s, "Could I just leave this bag here for a second", in an Irish accent would have got a similar reaction.

That's sort of funny and sad at the same time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 adamshare01

What are the best things to do in Dublin?!?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I vehemently disagree with her views. As thick skinned as some* people are, many are not. We cannot discourage good intentions and the good deeds of fellow humans, especially when they take courage.

I know myself now at this stage that anything non physical that occurs to me I can very easily brush off but having someone actually speak up while that incident occurs would do the world of good and may start a chain reaction with any other person who might have not taken action.

On this line, would you be willing to stand up for another person if they were being racially abused, perhaps if the abuse was against Indian or Chinese people for example? Or would you try keep your head down and help the people afterwards?

I'm not accusing you of being scared or hypocritical or anything of the sort. I'm more wondering if you'd feel safe to do so. Because it's one thing for a white Irish person to stand up against their fellows but I'd imagine that it's much more difficult to do if you knew that there was a serious risk of getting even worse put on to you.

Also, did you lose your Nigerian accent and if so, what kind of accent do you have now? How do people react when they hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Do you like Féla Kuti? When I think of Nigeria he is the first person that comes to mind. I have always liked his music and I believe that he was quite a dominant figure in the culture of your nation. But I have a friend from Nigeria who I asked this question to when I first met her and she said that he was stupid and the people of Nigeria didn't like him very much. I know that he tried to run for president and that the government at the time wanted to stop him from gaining too much power. Personally, I always just loved the music.

On this line, would you be willing to stand up for another person if they were being racially abused, perhaps if the abuse was against Indian or Chinese people for example? Or would you try keep your head down and help the people afterwards?

I'm not accusing you of being scared or hypocritical or anything of the sort. I'm more wondering if you'd feel safe to do so. Because it's one thing for a white Irish person to stand up against their fellows but I'd imagine that it's much more difficult to do if you knew that there was a serious risk of getting even worse put on to you.

Also, did you lose your Nigerian accent and if so, what kind of accent do you have now? How do people react when they hear it?
    I have and I would again regardless of skin color, religion or orientation. No one deserves to be abused for those reasons. I have stood up for people before and I will again; fear is secondary and what is empathy if you won't act on it?

I've got a tone of accents in my throat having grown up around the world. It's quite flat with different into nations depending on who I'm speaking to. I remember moving into an apartment and the landlord was expecting someone different from me ��

Do you like Féla Kuti? When I think of Nigeria he is the first person that comes to mind. I have always liked his music and I believe that he was quite a dominant figure in the culture of your nation. But I have a friend from Nigeria who I asked this question to when I first met her and she said that he was stupid and the people of Nigeria didn't like him very much. I know that he tried to run for president and that the government at the time wanted to stop him from gaining too much power. Personally, I always just loved the music.
    I do love Fela Kuti! What a hero! Fela was loved by millions of people and the people who didn't love him were prudes who stood against recreation drug use, partying and his general 'don't give a **** attitude'

The day he died, Lagos came to a standstill as hundreds of thousands of people walked in a procession with his body. His son, Femi Kuti is also very very good and his family and my moms are quite close!

• Advertisement

What are the best things to do in Dublin?!?
    Too much to list! You will have to be more specific!

I have and I would again regardless of skin color, religion or orientation. No one deserves to be abused for those reasons. I have stood up for people before and I will again; fear is secondary and what is empathy if you won't act on it?

I've got a tone of accents in my throat having grown up around the world. It's quite flat with different into nations depending on who I'm speaking to. I remember moving into an apartment and the landlord was expecting someone different from me ��

I admire you for that. I'm sure that it can be tough. Though you are 100% correct of course!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What are the things from your Nigerian culture that you love and are proud of?

OK, I know that I'm full of questions but one more! I'm really enjoying this as an African kid myself but one from Irish parents. I moved to Ireland from Botswana 14 years ago at 10 but would imagine that we've had quite different experiences.

What's the most ridiculous Q you have been asked about Nigeria or Africa? My personal favourites have been "did you wear clothes," "Did you live in a real house (I.e. not a mud hut,)" and the classic bit 100% true "how come you're white?" Now I am very pale naturally but I don't know what she was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Howdid you get to Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Howdid you get to Ireland ?

He's answered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Whats your feelings towards rural Ireland; do you like it?
    What other places have you lived in Ireland, did you like it in these places?
    What are your thoughts on the term "black culture"? Are there ay aspects you like about it?
    Did you get to visit other parts of Africa whilst you lived there, if so did they vary greatly to Nigerian life?
    In media we are presented with this idea that the vast vast VAST majority of Africa is extremely poverty stricken with many people at deaths door due to poverty, whether it be via starvation, disease,lack of clean water, etc....now whilst you can only speak from your own experiences is this an accurate depiction of life in Africa, and do the charities which are prominent for relief aid over here actually do "notable" work in poverty stricken areas?
    Something Ive personally noticed is that generally anyone I know or have known from Africa generally tends to have great self confidence and to put it simply are very "smooth", do you think there is a reason for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I think we can call it quits on this one, I believe Timi's wrapped up with another project.

I wanna say a big thank you to you all for the questions and to my favourite blue glasses wearing friend Timi for giving us his time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement