Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best game controller for PC?

• 28-09-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I've always been a keyboard and mouse user, and never had a console, but I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a controller for some games.

Is the PS vs Xbox vs dedicated PC controller just a personal preference thing, or are there particular advantages to any of them? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Xbox as most games have Xbox button prompts and it works out of the box.

Used to use PS3 but got a pain in my hole with the software needed to run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Xbox controller, definitely. They can be had in Argos quite cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

I'm currently using an Xbox One controller. Most games have native support for Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers these days i.e. the button prompts on the screen will match up to your pad. Some newer games have PS4 controller support as well, Batman Arkham Knight defaults to PS4.

You can get a wireless adapter for 360, One is currently wired only (you need a micro USB cable, the controller doesn't come with one IIRC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Buy an xbox controller if you need one right now but the new Steam controller will be out next month and that might be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I use the XBox controller as well as it is the go to controller if you are using one on a pc but as Jumbobreakfast says the Steam controller is coming out so maybe hold off for final reviews

I am currently waiting for a controller I purchased on Kickstarter called the Grifta which looks promising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks everyone, looks like it's pretty unanimous on the Xbox controller.
    Is there much difference between the 360 and the One?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I use sony's dualshock 4 with DS4Windows drivers. Serves me fine for DMC4, Rise of Incarnates, Skullgirls... stuff like that.

If it's charging or something messed up (had an issue when I messed with drivers) I have a backup logitech PC gamepad. It's basically a 360 pad but less comfortable but supports direct input so i can assign non-xinput keybinds to buttons for older games without support. I used it to play Silent Hill games.
    MOH wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, looks like it's pretty unanimous on the Xbox controller.
    Is there much difference between the 360 and the One?

I don't use them personally (although I've handled both) but the main difference to note is that you can use the 360 pad wirelessly with an adapter. Me sis has one I think it's officially from microsoft and all. The XBONE can only be used wired last I checked. I might be wrong on that now since things change fast but it was definitely a big complaint for it as a gamepad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

360 or One pad is definitely the best option for the pc, but i still prefer the Dualshock 4. Just feels like a better pad to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I
    I don't use them personally (although I've handled both) but the main difference to note is that you can use the 360 pad wirelessly with an adapter. Me sis has one I think it's officially from microsoft and all. The XBONE can only be used wired last I checked. I might be wrong on that now since things change fast but it was definitely a big complaint for it as a gamepad.

I'n not too worried about the wired only, since I'm always on a wired kb/mouse anyway. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Xbox controller as they require the least amount of setup to get going. My brother uses the PS4 pad and uses software to map the keys but even then it doesn't work properly at times.

• Advertisement

Cravez wrote: »
    Xbox controller as they require the least amount of setup to get going. My brother uses the PS4 pad and uses software to map the keys but even then it doesn't work properly at times.

Xinput wrapper and DS4Windows should auto-map to xinput after proper installation which is basically the xbox controller. If he's messing about with bindings it sounds like he's using moitionjoy which is garbage akin to spyware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Without dout Xbox controller. Plug it in and away you go, even the key promt on screen are right. Some of the cheaper Xbox varient are also good, think I picked up one for about €15 in Argos.

Started of with the playstation controller and it became a pane in the neck.

I would also have been a strict keyboard and mouse user but am defo won over to xbox controller now on anything but first person shooter games.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I use the Xbox one Controller and I have and for some reason it wioll only work with the Microsoft micro usb as I have a second controller with a Gamstop battery pack and the Micro Usb for that won't work on my controller. I don't know whether this is just me.

If I had a to pick between the 360 and the One controller I'd go with the 360 wired as its lighter and has better shoulder buttons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Xinput wrapper and DS4Windows should auto-map to xinput after proper installation which is basically the xbox controller. If he's messing about with bindings it sounds like he's using moitionjoy which is garbage akin to spyware.

Should is the correct word there, it doesnt then forgets its plugged in and has to be reinstalled etc.

PS3 Pad is better than the Xbox but the Xbox just plugs in and is still a decent controller.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Should is the correct word there, it doesnt then forgets its plugged in and has to be reinstalled etc.

Which drivers are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Skerries wrote: »
    I use the XBox controller as well as it is the go to controller if you are using one on a pc but as Jumbobreakfast says the Steam controller is coming out so maybe hold off for final reviews

I am currently waiting for a controller I purchased on Kickstarter called the Grifta which looks promising

Wow that looks good. I love the half controller with a mouse combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Xbox one controller is the best, better than the 360 one as I have both and if you go back to the 360 pad after using the xbox one controller. The anolog sticks just don't feel right, really slippy compared to the one's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Xbox controller definitely. And Xbox ONE version too.

Regarding wireless PC connectivity for it. There is an official wireless adapter coming for it early November.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Adapter-Windows-One/dp/B00ZB7W4QU

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

If you're on a tight budget a PS2 to usb adaptor and an old Dual Shock 1/2 controller can be got for peanuts.Otherwise the xbox360 controller has pretty much become the standard to develop for on PC .(If you can get a wireless adaptor off ebay/amazon then you can use 360 wireless controllers (which are fairly cheap second hand ).

Advertisement