Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary protection

• 28-09-2015 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

So Corn market through the Tui are coming in to talk to us about this product. Has anyone a good experience of their income protection policy? No one had anything good to say about it in the staff room and a lot of people had actually stopped paying it. Would be interested to hear from anyone who had to use it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I do know that they will try to frighten the bejaysus out of you and sell you a load of stuff that you may or may not need.

I have income protection with another company myself mostly because of a cornmarket rep trying to oversell me stuff and being very pushy. The TUI news often had figures about how many claimants use it etc.

I would think that you should have some sort of insurance, particularly the way the sick pay scheme is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

fall wrote: »
    So Corn market through the Tui are coming in to talk to us about this product. Has anyone a good experience of their income protection policy? No one had anything good to say about it in the staff room and a lot of people had actually stopped paying it. Would be interested to hear from anyone who had to use it.

I'm not sure of the ins and outs, but we've had 3 teachers who've gone over the sick days allowance so I presume if they had the salary protection it would have kicked in straight away (dunno if they only get 75% or the full whack)... and if not then they would have been on half pay from the dept.
    That's my understanding of it anyhow.
    It's just insurance really.. you'll hate it if you never used it (which is inevitably more likely) and you'll be somewhat thankful if you have to claim (which is usually unlikely to happen).
    There's FAQ's on their site HEREif you want to swot up before you get the hard sell... there's probably more general discussions on the pros and cons of salary protection elsewhere (or on AAM!).
    I'm no vested interest either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Fall I got it! I just couldn't chance not having it after they cut our leave.

One girl in work has already used up her full pay sick leave this year because she was very ill when pregnant.

We just bought our house and have a big mortgage. We will hopefully be blessed with baby number 2 in a couple of years and I just couldn't take the risk of not getting my wages! If I get hyperemesis again it's just not even a question of me being able to work.

You get a lot of tax relief on the amount so I think I am paying €5 per week at the mo but next year it will be €10 per week as promo will be over for me.

I tried to get quotes off different brokers for it when we were getting mortgage protection etc and no one could match cornmarket. Apparently teachers are in the very high risk category as they claim the most!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Thanks for the replies. I am just worried because some teachers have said they will find a loophole to not pay out. Teachers who have it for years have cancelled including the union rep! They had a solicitor friend look at it and they said there are too many loopholes. I have it and I am tempted to cancel.
    Miller on the pregnancy related sick leave, check with your Union what the current situation is. I know a girl who didn't lose her pay when she was out sick on twins, I am hearing that they are afraid to touch that one in case a loss could be linked with the stress of pay being cut??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Pregnancy related sick leave is now only counted as 1/2. So 20 days PRSL goes onto your record as 10 days.

The union is touting this as a victory but personally I think it's a disgrace and is most definitely a gender basis for discrimination.

• Advertisement

fall wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I am just worried because some teachers have said they will find a loophole to not pay out. Teachers who have it for years have cancelled including the union rep! They had a solicitor friend look at it and they said there are too many loopholes. I have it and I am tempted to cancel.
    Miller on the pregnancy related sick leave, check with your Union what the current situation is. I know a girl who didn't lose her pay when she was out sick on twins, I am hearing that they are afraid to touch that one in case a loss could be linked with the stress of pay being cut??

Current situation is they give you a max of 3ish months extra on half pay if you have exhausted all your sick leave and are preggers or have used it previously when preggers. Any preggers sick leave taken before new rules are not being counted. It's an absolute disgrace and total gender discrimation. :mad: I was sick every day when preggers I worked about 10 days of my entire pregnancy.
    My mum (now retired) had the income protection herself and they paid her for an additional year then she went back to work so I don't know about loopholes?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I was aware of the official rules around pregnancy leave but I actually know someone who was out sick for nearly the entire school year ( well over the three months) and they were paid in full. So I was wondering if there was a case by case situation unfolding.
    On the salary protection it seems that historically they paid out and it was a good scheme but now it is a case of they will do everything in their power not to pay out. As I said this was all just talk in the staff room so I was hoping to get a more national picture by getting feedback here. It's big money over its lifetime and more expensive than any other insurance I pay so I would be devastated if I did need it and it didn't pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What if you had a PRSL and couldn't come back for the start of the school term in Sept. would the dept count the whole summer as being sick?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    What if you had a PRSL and couldn't come back for the start of the school term in Sept. would the dept count the whole summer as being sick?
    Yes, unless you could be certified as fit to work during the summer.

Gebgbegb wrote: »

Tui told me to go in first day back as summer would be counted!in fact they told me to come in last day in May too.
    After a certain amount of time off I was sent to that company who verify your illness.

• Advertisement

Pregnancy related sick leave is now only counted as 1/2. So 20 days PRSL goes onto your record as 10 days.

The union is touting this as a victory but personally I think it's a disgrace and is most definitely a gender basis for discrimination.

Totally agree! and don't get me started about not adding any holidays on to maternity leave. :mad:

Advertisement