Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw 28-9-15

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Faugheen wrote: »
    Catching up now.

The New Day, Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt are the only things keeping Raw going nowadays.

It's always the case at this time of year but it's even more startling now than even a few years ago when people said the same thing about The Shield, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk.

Felt odd there was no Cesaro or Sheamus on this show too, not that either (cos Cesaro never has a storyline) were really missed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's a real shame they took the Curb Stomp from Rollins, he's suffered for it. He still doesn't look completely comfortable doing the Pedigree, certainly doesn't look as natural as Triple H.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Angron wrote: »
    It's a real shame they took the Curb Stomp from Rollins, he's suffered for it. He still doesn't look completely comfortable doing the Pedigree, certainly doesn't look as natural as Triple H.

He's not big enough for it to look right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

no surprise the ratings have gone lower again.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_87758.shtml#.Vgxc9PmeC4R

you know it's bad when they're talking about pre-attitude numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This says it all about the current state. What happened to Sandow? Like Cesaro he was over and then just forgotten about by the WWE :(

https://twitter.com/ProWrestlingMag/status/649272776507957248

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

This says it all about the current state. What happened to Sandow? Like Cesaro he was over and then just forgotten about by the WWE :(

https://twitter.com/ProWrestlingMag/status/649272776507957248

Several things:
    • The split was handled really badly
    • Sandow was left with no choice but to completely change his character following the split
    • The Miz's role in the duo was seriously underestimated (as evidenced by how he's been overall pretty damn good since)
    • Sandow, having to develop a new character, just got abandoned by creative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Damien Sandow mimicked The Miz for a number of months and it went nowhere for him because The Miz is actually the better of the two. No doubt that Damien Sandow is a great wrestler and performer but what did he do in his team with The Miz other than mimic what The Miz was doing? It was just one of those things that caught on but was completely overblown as if it was the angle of the year for some people. It was just a guy copying another.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Damien Sandow mimicked The Miz for a number of months and it went nowhere for him because The Miz is actually the better of the two. No doubt that Damien Sandow is a great wrestler and performer but what did he do in his team with The Miz other than mimic what The Miz was doing? It was just one of those things that caught on but was completely overblown as if it was the angle of the year for some people. It was just a guy copying another.

tbh your right and as others have said at the time The Miz's role in it all wasn't being given enough credit but creative 100% dropped the ball with Sandow after it and despite them knowing it'd come to an end for ages did virtually nothing with him.

Rate he mimic gimmick or not imo Sandow had made chicken salad from chicken **** with the roles he had been given (dressing up as local heroes included prior to the Miz buisniess) and no matter how good Miz was as part of their duo Sandow deserved to be given a shot at something when it finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

To add to the above.

They've killed Bad News Barrett, an over character and made him a crappy generic jobber King.

They never gave us the Cody Rhodes vs Goldust payoff at WrestleMania, could've made Cody/Stardust seem more of a big deal than the add in to an already overbooked multi man match.

They've demoted the Prime Time Players back to nobodies mere months after being champions , just because the Dudleys are here. Why not keep them relevant too.

Rusev is a great actor and wrestler, but they've zero idea how to use a guy after killing an undefeated streak. Was similar with Ryback. You just know he's never beat a Cena. Ditto for Kevin Owens too. Could've been very solidly upper mid card with Bray, Reigns and Orton instead of dead centre mid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Main event was very well done. They could have built up to that moment more though. Reigns v Wyatt is a good example of how WWE should grow two people at the same time rather than put them in predictable feuds.

Its a shame so much of the show is so poorly thought out. Take the first part (New Day, Cena, Dudleys) of the show, put it with the last part (Reighs, Wyatt) and it was great.

Charlotte and Becky teaming with Paige was really stupid, made all three look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Honestly

I loved the Kane stuff, the severed head in the box whilst predictable was awesome

Plus I just prefer to have Evil Kane around than Corporate Kane all the time

Maybe it shouldn't be done with the guy who has the title but I am finding it fun and better than some of the filler they could be serving up

Becky did well on Miz Tv but they really have to give her some singles matches to show what she can do, all she ever ends up being in the tag matches is cannon fodder

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deviladvocate

That Kane and Rollins stuff was fantastic!!!
    Yes it was over the top and silly, but it's wrestling!!! We're talking about Kane, the guy who debuted as the Undertaker's brother that kept setting people on fire and had an argument about who started the fire that killed their parents... And hooked a car battery up to Shane O'Mac's nuts... He's a monster, that monster has been suppressed and has to get out, and Rollins is going crazy with Kane torturing him... The segment got both messages across!!

People take wrestling too seriously, it's supposed to be fun and over the top! Enjoy it for it's ridiculousness!!! :)

tbh your right and as others have said at the time The Miz's role in it all wasn't being given enough credit but creative 100% dropped the ball with Sandow after it and despite them knowing it'd come to an end for ages did virtually nothing with him.

Rate he mimic gimmick or not imo Sandow had made chicken salad from chicken **** with the roles he had been given (dressing up as local heroes included prior to the Miz buisniess) and no matter how good Miz was as part of their duo Sandow deserved to be given a shot at something when it finished.
    Damien Sandow is after falling into that Zack Ryder category for me this year. It seems like he was punished for getting over to the extent that he did off of the back of that run teaming with The Miz. He could have done something surely. The Miz was always the star of that show though I feel, he's great at just getting basic heat from an audience. But the whole thing was handled badly afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

A lot of the people who can entertain in backstage segments and play the fool during matches struggle to put together matches that are any use. For a variety of reasons from a lack of real presence to looking completely unconvincing as a guy who can beat up their opponent.

It's why New Day are so great, they can entertain, the gimmick compliments their in ring performance and be convincing, credible winners of a match.

Miz can't, Sandow with his mimic character was not engaging for a match. Stardust has the same problem, bell to bell his character isn't engaging like Goldust was.

On the Goldust thing, a reason why he became so entertaining in my eyes was because of where he came from in-ring wise. In recent years I found myself amazed thinking that this was the same guy who had been so much heavier and slower during the mid 1990s WWF. I think a big thing with Damien Sandow was that he wasn't able to put that extra little bit on top of what he was given. Maybe it was his fault but also he could've used support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

On the Goldust thing, a reason why he became so entertaining in my eyes was because of where he came from in-ring wise. In recent years I found myself amazed thinking that this was the same guy who had been so much heavier and slower during the mid 1990s WWF. I think a big thing with Damien Sandow was that he wasn't able to put that extra little bit on top of what he was given. Maybe it was his fault but also he could've used support.
    If he's at all like Goldust he just has to do is drop all the substance abuse issues!

Goldust, like Jake, probably largely got to where he got by having a huge chip on his shoulder with loads of father issues (he's basically said as much a few times, hasn't he?). That's a pretty strong but volatile motivation.

One thing I've always seen as a bit of an issue with Reigns is that he just seems like a really happy, calm, family man. That's not the kind of guy who is going to do a Cena type schedule for any kind of length, you basically need someone who's a bit messed up.

Having a look through the roster, here's my selections of who seems mentally off enough to either be, or could have been had they been handled differently, the top guy:
    • Ryback
    ...won't lie, I expected that list to be short, but not that short. Either I've an extremely pessimistic outlook for the future of the WWE or this is the stupidest post I'll ever post.

Advertisement