Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yo la Tengo NCH October 15 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

unmissable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Strange venue though for YLT but think I'll have to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The National Concert Hall are absolutely terrible at promoting gigs for a (relatively) younger crowd. A friend asked me if I'd go to see Saint Etienne there a few weeks ago. I've only one of their albums but I said I'd go. He was then surprised about the low turnout at the gig (maybe 600?).

I hadn't seen it advertised and said so, and he replied by saying "I saw loads of ads for it in the past few months."

"Where?" sez I.

"The RTÉ Guide."

Now, I'm in my early 40s but I haven't resorted to buying the RTÉ Guide, especially to see what gigs are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

By the way, it was the first time I was in the venue and I liked it. It's probably a bit too grown up for me, but I liked and disliked the way they stopped you using phones to record stuff. There's nothing worse to see loads of phones recording at gigs but I wouldn't be into the 'slap on the wrist' approach they have there. Ideally, people should police themselves and have a bit of cop-on.

But anyway, yeah, I'd say Yo La Tengo would be great there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

It's funny the way the NCH is being used now for 'rock' shows. I saw Lambchop and Sun Kil Moon there recently. It's a lovely venue.

I presume the Yo La Tengo show be acoustic as they're touring Stuff Like That There.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

What is the refreshments situation in the NCH, are there bar facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

There's a few bars in the venue but you can't bring any drink into the auditorium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

Decuc500 wrote: »
    It's funny the way the NCH is being used now for 'rock' shows. I saw Lambchop and Sun Kil Moon there recently. It's a lovely venue.

I presume the Yo La Tengo show be acoustic as they're touring Stuff Like That There.

They're doing a two set thing which, as far as I know, is similar to what they did on their last tour here - acoustic/covers up first, followed by a chance for Ira to throw some shapes whilst doing 'Goodkind' amongst others.
    I love Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Is it all seated in the NCH? Never been. Thanks :)

Is it all seated in the NCH? Never been. Thanks :)

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

So this is on tomorrow and I don't have any tickets just a booking reference. I think when I booked them that being the NCH there wasn't the option to post the tickets and you either had to collect at the Box Office or else a ticket machine; I've never been to the NCH before. Is there any way I can confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

johnnykilo wrote: »
    So this is on tomorrow and I don't have any tickets just a booking reference. I think when I booked them that being the NCH there wasn't the option to post the tickets and you either had to collect at the Box Office or else a ticket machine; I've never been to the NCH before. Is there any way I can confirm this?

The Box Office people are very helpful - give them a buzz in the morning.. if for any reason you won't have the card you ordered with, they'll print the tickets off and hold them at the box office for you..
    Enjoy the show :)

Collecting them from the box office there is hassle free. They just ask for your name and possibly your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You never told me you didn't have the bleedin' tickets yet! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Great show.

The most mellow YLT gig I've ever been to and strange to see Ira watching someone else ripping it up for a change but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Brilliant covers and great to hear them 'covering' their own songs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Great show.

The most mellow YLT gig I've ever been to and strange to see Ira watching someone else ripping it up for a change but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Brilliant covers and great to hear them 'covering' their own songs too.

The guy playing lead was amazing!

Birneybau wrote: »
    The guy playing lead was amazing!

He was indeed. Dave Schramm - he's their original guitarist. (thanks wikipedia!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There's nothing worse to see loads of phones recording at gigs but I wouldn't be into the 'slap on the wrist' approach they have there. Ideally, people should police themselves and have a bit of cop-on.

Yeah, because that works so well at all the other gigs I go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Brilliant gig. Thought NCH was class. In my mid-late thirties now so the seat was much appreciated. YLT were brilliant, the vibe was lovely, acoustics fantastic. Well played Yo La Tengo

Brilliant gig. Thought NCH was class. In my mid-late thirties now so the seat was much appreciated. YLT were brilliant, the vibe was lovely, acoustics fantastic. Well played Yo La Tengo

Weird but I just thought the venue didn't suit at all last night. It was an intimate set and would have worked better in a much smaller setting. I could hardly hear the double bass at all.
    Last night was pleasant but a bit too twee in parts. Hated that version of 'Pass The Hatchet' for one.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Weird but I just thought the venue didn't suit at all last night. It was an intimate set and would have worked better in a much smaller setting. I could hardly hear the double bass at all.
    Last night was pleasant but a bit too twee in parts. Hated that version of 'Pass The Hatchet' for one.

Where were you sitting? I was on the balcony and the sound was great.

I'd like to have been somewhere smaller to see them though. But it was kinda funny seeing people getting caught out by the doors closing at the start of the show and only being allowed in after the first song. Concert Hall rules don't change because it's a rock band obviously!

Where were you sitting? I was on the balcony and the sound was great.

I'd like to have been somewhere smaller to see them though. But it was kinda funny seeing people getting caught out by the doors closing at the start of the show and only being allowed in after the first song. Concert Hall rules don't change because it's a rock band obviously!

About 8 rows from the stage. Was at Lambchop a few months back, a few rows further back and the sound was poor for that also.

mosstin wrote: »
    About 8 rows from the stage. Was at Lambchop a few months back, a few rows further back and the sound was poor for that also.

That was my first gig in the main hall so I've nothing to compare it with but from the balcony it was all good to my auld ears.

Advertisement