Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Tue 40 min turbo

10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    5x(1 hard, 1 easy) (c.330W, 336, 340, 352, 354)
    5 easy
    5x(30sec hard, 30sec easy) (355, 375, 339, 360, 360)
    5 easy

Felt good enough today.

joey100 wrote: »
    Some swimming races, very good!

I'll be at Carlow, not racing, there as a supporter and will be doing the sprint in Wicklow too. I'm sure you will add a few aquathons to that too.

Yeah if I can fit them in I'll include Wicklow aquathon series. This summer will be all about weekends away to races. I'm doing CK too, I might need to grab a tow this year Joey ;)

WED 9km run 4:49/km pace

I'm down in kerry for a couple of days with the kids, and it seems like we've the best weather in the country today, sun is shining, fresh breeze, great place to run when it's like this. I passed by a funeral, lots of oncoming cars flaring and beeping at me for bringing running tights into their solumninity... put I stopped and respected the hearse so hopefully I avoided a curse.
    Picked it up for the last 4km, 4:27, 4:25, 4:21, 4:03.

Run was preceeded by a very short dip in the sea, a nippy 100m breaststroke, freezing!

Thurs 1:00 easy turbo 181W av

Long drive back up from Kerry, I was glad of the chance to spin some life into the legs after it. This felt good, loads of power in the legs.

Skipped the Masters session as I had too much work to do.

Fri 8.57K run 4:56/km av

Plan:
    20 easy
    15 steady
    5 mod
    5 easy

This felt the opposite of yesterday... died on the run. I felt great for the "easy" part (running a too-fast 4:54/km pace), but there was nothing in the tank when I went to up to a steady pace... struggling for breath at 4:35/km pace, really not feeling the love. I then tried to run for 5 mins mod but didn't have the gears... bailed after 90 secs, gasping for air. Jogged back with my tail between my legs, threw in a couple of 20s bursts just to save face.

So what went wrong? My breathing this morning felt the best its felt in weeks, like the chest infection had finally gone. I ran at a faster pace without issue on Wed. Don't know why I bonked today (was very busy and didn't eat anything yet today so that might be it:o). Knock it up to experience, and move on.

Sat 2:18 turbo

Plan:
    1 hr easy
    1 hour tempo
    2x(15 threshold, 15 easy)

Did the first hour easy (161W), but was struggling towards the end of the second hour tempo (210W). I tried to up it but just like yesterday, effort was exponential and I just didn't have it, so kept it easy for 18 mins and bailed. Don't like doing that but while there is a point to struggling through pain, there is no point in struggling through low energy. Don't know what it is, maybe lack of sleep (had a 4am airport pick-up this morning).

• Advertisement

Sun Annagh Hill run (13.2k, 9min/km av pace)

I wanted something long and easy today, so headed out for a look at the new Annagh hill race route. Its got some severe climbs, and I walked for plenty of them. Any running was kept at a gentle level, and the brakes were on running downhill. Its a great spot to run, so many routes, great variety in the terrain, and smashing views from the top. There's a new muddy hill section that has to be climbed: I just about managed it with a stick for balance, even then I slipped backwards often enough. Its a very testing course!

Otherwise it was a good reminder of when I used to run for pleasure, when numbers and routine didn't matter so much. I think I'll make all easy runs be hill runs, they are life-affirming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

ha, I've used the stick to help me get up that sneaky hill too. That, or the right inov8s work too.

Hope to see some Boards guys out on Mar 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sleep, accumulated stress (you said you had a very busy work period recently), return from illness and training taking their toll by the sounds of things. Smart call bailing on the turbo. Hopefully some quality sleep will sort things out for you.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Sleep, accumulated stress (you said you had a very busy work period recently), return from illness and training taking their toll by the sounds of things. Smart call bailing on the turbo. Hopefully some quality sleep will sort things out for you.

Deffo something up, I'll keep an eye on it. Work won't be getting any less busy in the near future, so I guess I'll just have to roll with it. No sleep till death ;)

Mon Master swim 2,500m

Warm up
    400 free (proper turns and 5m underwater push offs)
    4x75 25k25d25s 15s
    Main set
    All free
    2x50 on 40/50
    2x50 on 50/1:00
    2x50 on 45/55
    2x50 on 40/50
    Repeat 4 times
    200 choice swim down

I was going ok for the main set but foot cramp let me down towards the end of the first set... had to sit out one of the 50 on 40's. Same thing happened each time, foot/calf cramping when I upped the effort. Otherwise it was a good hard useful set. Yesterdays hill run left me with a battered body. glad to get into the water.

Tue 50 min turbo 213W av

10 easy 162W
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy) 234Wav
    10x(1 hard, 1 easy) (hard 311,326,323,333,322,324,329,328,327,349)
    5 easy
    5x(30sec hard, 30sec easy) (hard 353-365)
    5 easy

Had a good nights sleep last night, felt refreshed this morning. This transferred into a decent workout on the turbo. Still not sure I could hold those hard efforts for much longer, but hit where I wanted to hit today, and thats all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

gave the last of those minutes on a real lash..:)

mossym wrote: »
    gave the last of those minutes on a real lash..:)

Or took it easy on the first 9...;)

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Or took it easy on the first 9...;)

well now you've set the level of expectation pretty high for the next batch. i look forward to seeing 10>345w :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

whats your 5 minute max power Kurt?

MD1983 wrote: »
    whats your 5 minute max power Kurt?

FTP last Nov

5min TT (352W, 87 rpm)
    10 easy
    20min TT (297W, 79 rpm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

FTP last Nov

5min TT (352W, 87 rpm)
    10 easy
    20min TT (297W, 79 rpm)

You took it very easy on the first 9 so.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

FTP last Nov

5min TT (352W, 87 rpm)
    10 easy
    20min TT (297W, 79 rpm)

would you not be something closer to 400w then for the minute on and off Kurt, assuming you are feeling ok etc

MD1983 wrote: »
    would you not be something closer to 400w then for the minute on and off Kurt, assuming you are feeling ok etc

Yes you're right. It's a measure of how I've slipped with a sick month of January. From memory, I was doing hard minutes around 400 last November.

tue pm 44 mins easy run 8.2k
    Legs are still a bit stiff from the hills, but an easy trot around arklow at dusk seems to have leeched vitality unto them.

Yes you're right. It's a measure of how I've slipped with a sick month of January. From memory, I was doing hard minutes around 400 last November.

just call it "carrot"

mossym wrote: »
    just call it "carrot"

I have a large whiteboard in the office, which I had shared with work/training plans. Work took over, so I got a second whiteboard. There's a tiny corner left on it that I wrote in all my FTP settings... I got as far as VO2 284-324 and ran out of corner. When I saw "hard" in my turbo plan, I figured hard=VO2, however I just looked back on email directions and had i space I would have written the line "Anaerobic 325-405, and thats what corresponds to my hard pace.

In other news, work took over the training whiteboard today. Poor sleep last night thinking of work, up working at 7am, meet client at 4pm, home at 6:40pm (intended hitting the pool at 6pm but missed the public lanes). I've a feeling I'll end up one of those 70-year-olds repeating "you only live once" with regret...

• Advertisement

i would have thought with your background you'd be able to reel off any % ratios of your ftp quicker than i could reach for my calculator :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Is there anywhere else you can set up the turbo Kurt? To try and keep work and training separate? I don't know if it would be of any benefit but might be worth trying separating the 2. I have my turbo set up in the house in it's own room, I know when I go in there I'm training and it can help get into the right mindset for it. Where I used to live it got set up in the kitchen and found it a bit harder to get properly into it. Might even help take work off your mind when your training, after a tough day in work I'd say it could be hard going back into the office and training without work coming back into your mind. Not saying this wouldn't happen anyway but if it was 2 separate spaces it work might not be in your face as much. I hope that made some sense, it did in my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yeah figured North of 400w on those 1min efforts, i would normally have them around 140%+ for that interval duration. 10x400w is a short but tough enough little set mind you. The 1 min on goes so slow yet the 1 min off flies in.

Agree with Joey, separate room for training is ideal, especially on those tough sessions. You also get to call it your man or pain cave!

Good point about the workspace/turbo separation. I did have the turbo in the attic before, but kept getting interrupted by work calls so tend to grab the time in the office while I have it and can also keep an eye on business. Not ideal though. Think I'll have to replan a proper pain cave (Junior has his weights up there at the moment so might be better all round to just leave the turbo there).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Good point about the workspace/turbo separation. I did have the turbo in the attic before, but kept getting interrupted by work calls so tend to grab the time in the office while I have it and can also keep an eye on business. Not ideal though. Think I'll have to replan a proper pain cave (Junior has his weights up there at the moment so might be better all round to just leave the turbo there).

Turbo out in the fresh air in the back garden with AC/DC on full blast. Very enjoyable!!

Missed a lot of sessions last week- work has been busy, a lot of meetings and preparing for meetings, and I've been shagged at the end of each day. I'm going to have to reconsider the amount of time I can dedicate to Tri, if this keeps up.

Fri Easy 60 min turbo

Sat 15.83k run 5:10/km av
    This was a very helpful run- the first hour was easy and then we picked it up a tad. Chatting with my buddy meant I got some great advice- Winter miles, its still only Feb, lots of time to pick things up. We upped the pace towards the end, km splits were 4:27, 4:23, 4:07, 4:07.

Sun 64k at 25.1kph easy spin
    First venture outdoors since Oct or Nov... an easy spin with the club lads. Certainly makes the time pass quicker than sat on a turbo! Chilly enough, but dry and bright for an enjoyable ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

and I've been shagged at the end of each day.

Alright, no need for showing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Look!!! Your man Trump and James Joyce referred to by George Will! ;)

https://www.arcamax.com/politics/fromtheright/georgewill/s-1804606

And my personal favorite is this little gem:
    "So, the leading Republican candidate, the breadth of whose ignorance is the eighth wonder of the world, actually thinks that judges "sign bills." Trump is a presidential aspirant who would flunk an eighth-grade civics exam."
    :D
    I love it when Republicans eat their own kind.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    the breadth of whose ignorance is the eighth wonder of the world

Can't help but think the leading Republican candidate would read that as a compliment! My daughter was supporting Trump last week, think she saw something on the news with him saying "They can't stop me saying what I want" and she was concerned that They were trying to stop poor Don from exercising his free speech...

Then she listened to him speak for longer, and the bunting swiftly came down from her room ;)

Mon 2 hours pool

Lots of different drills, jumps, turns... everything was about technique tonight. The first hour was mainly kicking and schulling, focus on balance. The second hour was about becoming more efficient in the turns, transferring the momentum of swimming into the wall into swift momentum swimming away from the wall. Included was the Pythonesque tumble every 6 strokes for 300m. Finished with some diving practice from the blocks. Good fun all round :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What are you doing up at 4am? No wonder you're tired :D

Advertisement