Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

pgibbo wrote: »
    What are you doing up at 4am? No wonder you're tired :D

Tossing and turning and thinking of trades.

Tue 50 min turbo 218W av

10 easy 165W
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy) 221Wav
    10x(1 hard, 1 easy) (hard 376,370,394,390,395,366,374,359,314,380)
    5 easy
    5x(30sec hard, 30sec easy) (hard 360-392)
    5 easy

Crap nights sleep, had to travel to Dublin this morning, pushed for time and so did the same session as this time last week. The effort was much higher:
    Last week: (hard 311,326,323,333,322,324,329,328,327,349)
    This week: (hard 376,370,394,390,395,366,374,359,314,380)

but I was dying towards the end of them, felt the legs were going to give up. As everyone knows, there is effort to be squeezed out on the last rep of any set, and so it was here.

Tue PM 6.36k at 5:15/km av easy run

I had a window of 35mins between dropping Missy at swimming, and a committee meeting (more time management!), and so came prepared in full running gear for a nice trot along the seashore at dusk. This felt better than the earlier turbo might have affected, and I was holding the pace down to keep it nice'n'easy.

We are bringing 30+ swim mad kids to Club la Santa for a weeks intense training- just found out at the meeting there is a dedicated lane booked for the adults. A potential 4 hours swimming per day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Kurt_Godel wrote: »

We are bringing 30+ swim mad kids to Club la Santa for a weeks intense training- just found out at the meeting there is a dedicated lane booked for the adults. A potential 4 hours swimming per day.

you do know the cycling over there is superb too right? great opportunity to get some serious training miles in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

And some nice weather for running too......

last 3 posts.
    trip to lanza
    kurt says wahoo swimming
    i say wahoo bike
    joey says wahoo running
    could you guess where our strengths are :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    last 3 posts.
    trip to lanza
    kurt says wahoo swimming
    i say wahoo bike
    joey says wahoo running
    could you guess where our strengths are :)

"Train your weaknesses, race your strengths."

Those that understand and embrace this are the ones that progress the most.

tunney wrote: »
    "Train your weaknesses, race your strengths."

"Train where you can while also on chaperone pool duty"

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

"Train where you can while also on chaperone pool duty"

4 hours of pool running a day then?

plus

20130926120729-DSC_0123.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

There's a nice run track and some lovely trails for running around la Santa also.

Some cracking hills for the bike in the area. Bright and early :D

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    There's a nice run track and some lovely trails for running around la Santa also.

Some cracking hills for the bike in the area. Bright and early :D

Kids are swimming either 7-9am or 9-11am each morning, with brekkie after/before, so no early jaunts for me! Then a group lunch, and more swimming in the evening... hopefully I'll get at least one decent spin on the bike, and a trail run, but most of my time will be at the pool. No complaints mind you!:D

Thur 60 min turbo; 60 min Masters

Easy turbo at lunch, 167W av. 3*(15mins aero, 5 mins up), feeling better on the bars now.

Swim was practice for this weekends gala. After a good warm up, we practiced timed tumbles- a moving start timed from the flags, hit the wall, and to the flags again. My best was 5.9s, and it was a good lesson in how to keep momentum. Next some diving- generally I was coming up too soon, so that got corrected. All of this was done at a fast turnover rate, so it ended up being a decent workout. Finished with a few dive-start 25's, my best time here was 13.9s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Finished with a few dive-start 25's, my best time here was 13.9s.

Good Speed.

Is it the Limerick Gala? What events are you doing?

Good Speed.

Is it the Limerick Gala? What events are you doing?

The benefit of a coach on deck- I had done the first 25 in 15.1s, he noticed I was swaying slightly, corrected that to a more streamline, and took a second off the next one.

Yes Limerick Open, down for the 400m and 100m free, should be good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck at the gala!!! Whoop whoopie whoop whoop! ;) Don't forget to curl the tootsies around the starting block for that extra grip and push off! And swim like the devil himself is chasing after you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck in Limerick.

Oh, and if you want to get your opponent off his game, rock on up to the blocks with your toenails painted in a loud and obnoxious color - something that screams I wear a Speedo on the streets of France with amazing confidence. I swear it's worth 5 seconds on your 100. ;)

Well I screwed up the pacing big time! Not used to a LC I guess. The sordid numbers...

400m Free 6:20
    I honestly thought I paced this sensibly, but after 200m was wondering why I was dropping so much ground to others... felt at the end I had done a solid if unspectacular 6min race... scores on the doors were 6:20. I was pretty shocked by that, however my mates said I did the first 100 in 1:19, so I just can't pace LC. Still, its way slower than I expected.

Had to hang around for hours until my next 100m race, but got to see loads of great swimmers- Donncha O'Siadhall is a machine. Rachel Lee too, an amazing 800m from her. Trevor Woods has a very efficient style (it was clear who were the OW swimmers), and had a nice ding-dong with the lad next door in his 800m, done at circa1:20/100 pace. Great place to watch and learn.

My 100 came around and I figured on a cocky 1:10 for retribution (wanted to take a "score" home after the long journey). I was swimming well to the wall but died a death over the last 30m, just had no energy in the arms. It was a long time till I hit the wall, in 1:15. Equals my SC PB so I guess thats something.

Lots of work needed. I haven't been swimming/training much and just back from a lengthy sickness in Jan, so those times will have to act as a marker of sorts. But I wanted much faster, and will be annoyed if much faster doesn't come soon. It will be trained for.

PS I had my toes painted blue and white Asgard colours last night, maybe need to go with more aggressive colours next time what do you think Dory? ;)

I suspect had you gone with something more bold like Atomic Orange or Purple Palazzo Pants or Girls on Fire Red, your results would have been completely different. ;)

But you did fine for your first gala. Lots of good information and experience (and FUN!!) to use to your benefit next time around. One question - when you swam your 400 and 100, did you break them down into 100s and 25s respectively?

So many nail varnish colours... I've a lot to learn about swimming yet! Thankfully I have the multi-tinctured Dory in my corner ;)

I *thought* I was pacing well. The 400 I thought I went easy on the first 100 (plan/actual 1:25/1:20) and the goal was to pick it up after 200. Thought I was doing it right but swimmers made distance on me from 200, and I had nothing in the tank. Ditto the 100, plan was to go tempo the first 50, and build to a sprint from there; but I had nothing left after 70m. Found it very hard to pace in the 50m pool.

*Edit- there were no pool clocks on any wall, which I found odd.

Sun 1:30 run (60min easy, 20 mins steady, 10 mins easy)

Yonwards and yupwards. Hit the Tinahely hills this evening, the first hour was a climb up to the Wicklow Way, follow it for a while (very very mucky, a total slopfest in places) on a very enjoyable jaunt. Then upped the pace for 20 mins on the roads (4:22, 4:11, 4:11, 4:19) and a nice 10 min cool down.

*Edit- there were no pool clocks on any wall, which I found odd.

UL arena? was the electronic one not on? down the deep end?

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    UL arena? was the electronic one not on? down the deep end?

There was an electronic scoreboard in the corner which showed lanes and placings (and time during each race) but you'd never see it from the pool to pace off.

There was an electronic scoreboard in the corner which showed lanes and placings (and time during each race) but you'd never see it from the pool to pace off.

it usually has a big clock on it. seems strange they don't have one for races.

Mon 52min turbo; 3,000m Masters swim

Easy turbo squeesed into a busy work day, I was aiming for the hour, but got 52 mins before the phone went so I can't complain. 163W av, done 5 mins sat up, 5mins turbo position. It's interesting that the new turbo position feels easier, for higher watts.

Swim:
    200m warm up
    5*50m (25k, 25fist, 10s)
    25*100m off 1:45 (target 1:30)
    100m warm down

I was a little stiff today, I'm told that is normal after a gala. The 100's we alternated leading off, so I led reps 11-15, and got them all in under 1:30 without much effort. Otherwise it was an exercise in form, there was a draft available if required, or you could hold back and then chase. My foot was cramping towards the end and I sat out the third last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hard to pace a 50m pool vs SC alright. With SC you get 2 kicks off the wall for that last 50 and the glide just gives the shoulders a wee break. The last 50m in a 50m is a long long way when you have started the lactic death already.

Your first 100 was just 4 secs off your best 100! Well done for even finishing that 400!

When I was fit there were 10 secs between my best 100 (1:15 no dive) and my avg 400 best pace in that pool.

Kudos for matching your SC 100 in that pool.

50m can be a long way alright! I'm obviously getting a large benefit from my 25m wall break so thats something to consider if I want to get faster at OW swimming. Hope to get into the sea earlier this year.

By the way, good to see you back swimming, you're good at it and you like it, keep it up!

Tue 55 min turbo; 10k easy run

10 easy (162W)
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    6x(1.5 hard, 1.5 easy)
    5x(1 hard, 1 easy)
    5 easy
    5x(30sec hard, 30sec easy)
    3 easy

The plan said 10x(1.5 hard, 1.5 easy) but the plan also said it was 50mins in total, and half-way through this I realised it was in fact an hour. I was stuck for time (did the session in a strict 55min window) so shaved some time from the hard efforts- just as well as I was finding the 1.5min efforts very tough. Still managed to mess up my count though!

6x(1.5 hard, 1.5 easy) (353W, 362, 361, 357, 353, 360)
    5x(1 hard, 1 easy) (353, 361, 360, 343, 372)

Run was done later at dusk around Arklow, you can feel the first inkling of Spring in the air. Legs felt good after a sluggish start. After reading a few logs around here I'm determined to keep easy pace very easy (and so hard means hard). 5:26/km pace tonight.

Wed 2,800m swim

300sw,200k, 100k
    4x50 as 15 fs, 35 sw + 15sec
    4x200 mod + 15 sec
    10x100 P+P easy + 10sec
    4x50 choice easy

Decent enough swim, working on position throughout. I have a load of thoughts after watching the speedsters at the Masters Open Champs, and will play around with rotation a bit for a while. The 200's were solid without taxing too much (3:15, 3:18, 3:13, 3:14), and the 100's were a welcome return to the agility paddles. These force a good catch and pull, and I'll use them more frequently over the next while.

PM 60 min easy turbo 166W av

10 mins aero, 5 min up; for the hour.

Thurs 60min easy turbo; 10k run; Masters swim

Turbo: 163W average, alternating 15mins aero, 5 mis up, for the hour.

Run: Lovely twilight run along the coast, keeping it easy 5:11/km av. 5*20s strides on the way back, under a sliver of the moon.

Masters:
    400 free (tumble turns)
    6x50 free 15m underwater max/35m pace 15s rest
    4x25 fly Dec 1-4 20s
    10 press ups, 50 sit ups, 10 squats,1min plank
    4x25 back Dec 1-4 20s
    20 press ups, 40 sit ups, 20 squats, 1min plank
    4x25 breast Dec 1-4 20s
    30 press ups, 30 sit ups, 30 squats, 1 min plank
    4x25 free Dec 1-4 20s
    40 press ups, 20 sit ups, 40 squats, 1 min plank

I could be a happy alcoholic watching telly and eating crisps, or I could be doing the torture I was doing tonight. They are the only two choices, until I pick up paintbrushes again in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

My dad retired last year and took up painting again (something he did before myself and my sister were born) shortly before Christmas. Every time I call to the house now he has a glass of sherry on the go, Leonard Cohen or similar on the radio, and there's a new watercolour being worked on. You'd have a hard time convincing me he doesn't have the right idea!

• Advertisement

Haha your dad has his head screwed on properly, I like his style :D

Advertisement