Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Fri 8.7k run 46:55

20 easy
    15 steady
    5 mod
    5 easy

Did this around Annagh Hill (since I won't be racing it tomorrow sob sob). Even though I stayed on the lower trails, the route was undulating and surface uneven so numbers don't matter too much. The easy felt easy, the steady felt steady, and the mod felt like I was working.

SAT 16.67k easy run at 5:36/km pace

My legs were a bit stiff early this morning, so I kept this run at a comfortable chatting pace. (30 mins steady had been scheduled) . Glad I did now, as everything feels looser without any damage done.

Sun 2:45 easy turbo, 15min run off bike.

The plan said some structure, tempo and threshold segments in the bike session, so I forego'ed (forewent? Great word :)) the outside spin in favour of keeping an eye on turbo numbers. Alas, after an easy hour I found it very difficult to raise the power, so I resigned myself to keep it easy throughout. 145W av, which felt harder than it should have. My PM battery reading flashed up low during the session, perhaps thats an a excuse, but I'd say tiredness was more the reason.

Run was 5 mins steady (4:25/km pace), and 10 mins easy. Took a while to get rid of jellylegs, more brics like this needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

When and what is your first tri???

Dory Dory wrote: »
    When and what is your first tri???

Theres a local "indoor Tri" in April (exercise bike, treadmill) that I might do, otherwise a pool tri in mid-April. But they would just be for fun/practise, the real first on is a local Sprint at the end of May. I'll be aiming to peak towards the end of the season this year (as opposed to June last year).

• Advertisement

Fri 18th-25th Club La Santa

The kids swim club were on a training week, I was a Team Leader so everything was structured around their (35 kids) two hours in the morning, two hours in the evening, activities in between, and breakfast/lunch/dinner in between. Everything went very well, my own training was what I could grab mainly while sharing deck duties at the fantastic 50m pools. There's no point in listing every session, so I'll just group them together under relevant headings.

Diet
    I had hoped to lose 2kg but there was too much food to tempt so will make do with keeping things stable just under 90kg at weeks end. Lots of fish, lots of fruit, very little alcohol or coffee.

Stretching
    There were structured stretching classes throughout the day, for an hour at a time, and I went to four of these. Found them very useful, and I've a catalog of stretches for shoulders and back that I can use in future.

Bike
    Lanza looks a great place for spins, with free bike rental available, but alas I didn't get any time away for this. 20 mins on an exercise bike was the sum of my riding.

Run
    Thought I would get in more runs but the whole weeks was more intense than I expected (looking after the kids), so just got a couple of trail runs in. They were very enjoyable, a great way to explore the volcanic terrain around the resort. Nothing of note distance wise (5.5k and 12k). Otherwise I did a 200m race on the track against one of the kids, as part of a group relay. Took off like I was 15 years old and managed to hold a decent sprinting form for 100m before my body reminded me I am quite a bit older! Great fun though.

Swim
    With three 50m heated outdoor pools available, it was always going to be a swim-specific week. Got about 20K+ done, mainly working on my streamline position and rotation. I found the 50m pool challenging at first, but soon grew to like it, and it would be my preferance given the choice of LC or SC. I kept things steady-distance focused, lots of pb work. Hard to tell regarding improvements, but I was swimming a lot faster towards the end of the week than at the start. Comparing previous times when next in a 25m pool will be the real test.
    I got some decent swim advice from the coaches, and besides that it was an education watching the various swimmers (and triathletes) from the stands.

Kids
    Since it was all about the kids, everyone seemed to benefit from this week-long camp. It was a big step up for most of them (including my own two), and there was some herding involved in getting them up for a 7am swim start after finishing swimming at 7pm the night before... But they did very well.
    Thursday 24th March 2016 will be remembered as the date Junior usurped his dad. He did a 8*100free off 8mins session, clocking a fastest 1:13 (to my 1:14 at Limerick Masters gala), and kept all of them between 1:13-1:18. Mighty stuff :)
    Missy threw herself into the whole week, embracing the challenge with gusto. She was moved up a lane for a session mid-week to see how she would handle it, she worked her socks off so they kept her there the rest of the week and she flogged herself to stay with the bigger fish. At awards night she got Female Swimmer of the Week, and I was happiest dad on the island :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Club La Santa

That sounds excellent. Well done to both kids. Would you do a week with just the family to really take advantage of the cycling and running?

I visited the premises once to see what it was like. I would *love* to holiday there. Can't imagine it's much fun for a disinterested other half though. It's a bit remote.

That sounds excellent. Well done to both kids. Would you do a week with just the family to really take advantage of the cycling and running?

I visited the premises once to see what it was like. I would *love* to holiday there. Can't imagine it's much fun for a disinterested other half though. It's a bit remote.

I'd love to go back myself with the tri club, loads of training to be done. Personally I thought it was a great holiday, I got a break from work and decent training in. My better half wouldn't rush back, she did lots of the exercise classes but felt the whole place was a bit intense overall. Likewise I know others who went and didn't like it. You'd want to be looking for a 100% active holiday, with no distractions from a selfish training agenda.

Lots of the swim kids were flagging towards the end too, they usually do 6 hours swimming a week and in La Santa they did 22+.

Sat 60 min easy turbo

Power meter battery has died so no data, but just an easy turbo to get back into the swing of things. I stayed in the aero position the full time, thats the longest I've stayed down ever (by about 30 mins), no pain or discomfort, felt like I could have stayed down all day. This I put down to all the rotation work in the pool, twisting from my core and engaging my sides. Coupled with the extra stretching, I hope this might be the end to persistent back/shoulder/neck issues in aero position. I guess staying aero while upping the power will be a truer test.

Serious, serious congratulations to Missy for earning herself the Female Swimmer of the Week award. She must've worked her little patootie off to snag that - so proud of her as well. :)

• Advertisement

And, congratulations to Junior for uprooting you as fastest fish in 100 meter free in the Godel house. This is just the beginning..... ;)

Sun 1:30 easy turbo; 20 mins Stretching

Another turbo on the bars, and again it felt fine being down for the whole time. Stretching afterwards, the benefits of these simple pain-free stretches are immense.

Right, time to knuckle down. The North Tipp Sprint is in 3 weeks, it will serve to shake the cobwebs before the first real races in May. 89.6kg now, I'm aiming to be under 88kg for the Sprint, and under 86kg by late May.

Mon 2,850m Masters swim

400m wu
    10*25 odds kick, evens drill, 10s
    20*100 odds on 1:35, evens on 1:25 (17*100 done, times drifted to 1:45/1:35)
    400m wd

The extra volume of swimming last week led to a nagging pain in my shoulder (where the arrow is in the pic below, Dr. Dory ;)), exacerbated by throwing a football with my NFL mad son between swims. It slowed me today, not much pain but enough to annoy. Now its hurting when I lift my arm- feels like inflamed tendons.

A few days away from the pool won't harm anyway.

image5.jpeg

Tue 9k comfortable run with 5*20s strides

First run in a while and it felt good, ticking over at 4:30/km without much effort.

Wed 2:18 easy turbo, 12min easy run

I had a crap sleep with (another) sore throat that has since developed into a cold/cough. Don't know if my immune system is down or its work stress (playing catchup this week after a glorious work-free week). Others around have it too so that might suggest a general bug rather than a personal weakness.
    Rather than do nothing I sweated for a couple of hours on the turbo, while keeping an eye on office work. Straight after I took our new dog out for an easy run, his first. He didn't complain too much (only 6min/km pace) but will require more training.

Thurs 1:40 steady spin

I had to visit the bank in Gorey so this was a spin of two halves. The first was a 23.5k spin with a couple of hills, on decent enough road, and was 30kph average speed. First time outside in a while, and I felt strong on the bike.
    The return was a different route, over crap roads and a lot of hills, 21.1k at 24.2kph average. I wasn't putting in any great effort, but was able to stay in the saddle for all the climbs, something I've never done previously. Proof that the turbo makes you stronger. My bike handling has gone to pot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I hear you about the turbo, great for getting strong but like you said with your handling, worth getting out on the roads when you can too.

What type of dog did you get??

A labradoodle (labrador/poodle mix). He's full of energy, reckon he'll be a good runner in a while. Right now we have a very indignant smaller dog and cat who have tolerated each other for the past 8 years who are highly suspicious of this newcomer!

Yes, bike handling has suffered, no doubt. Hope to get out in the fresh air more often now its not icy/cold/wet. But I'll take the turbo gains over slow turnpikes any day :)

Ooooooo.......a labradoodle. :D What's his name?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Eh, we're going to need to see pictures of this dog

Happy square root day!!! :D

Happy square root day!!! :D

(2 be sure)^2

:D

• Advertisement

Ooooooo.......a labradoodle. :D What's his name?? :)

Ted (I think after Father Ted). Which suits as he's mad and a lot of fun, but a new child would be less work!

xbfqf6.jpg

Ohhhhh.....he is TOO cute!! :D

I've been suffering all week from another f***ing cold/cough from hell. Added to that my shoulder is hurting, hurts to lift the arm
    above my head, and seems very slow in recovering. First shoulder injury ever... So I've just been ticking over as best I can.

Tue 29th 46min easy/steady run

Wed 30th 2:18 easy turbo, 12m min run with doggy

Thurs 31st 23.5k bike 30kph; hilly return 21k 24kph

Fri 1st 1:50 easy turbo

Sat F***ed

Sun F***ed

Mon 60mins yoga

Tue 60mins easy bike 29kph

Ditched the pool Sprint on the 16th, won't be fit.

Ohhhhh.....mind that shoulder!!! Do not do anything that aggravates it!!! And if you tend to use paddles (do you??), toss those damn things in the bin! !!!!!

Ohhhhh.....mind that shoulder!!! Do not do anything that aggravates it!!! And if you tend to use paddles (do you??), toss those damn things in the bin! !!!!!

Yeah having a shoulder injury is very weird! Reckon a combination of volume and paddles in Lanza may have contributed- paddles will be off the menu for a while! :)

^ Everything was off the menu as my cough got much worse, I was a streak of misery and felt crap. Finally visited the Doc who said I had bronchitis and prescribed anti-b's and inhaler for 3 months, along with the all important TUE note. Seems to be doing the trick so far, I don't feel like elastic bands are constricting my chest for the first time in ages.

Today was a swim gala, I'll be living competition through my kids for a while. Missy did 1:45 for 100 breast, which is a pb but she is pissed she didn't go faster. Attagirl. Junior was put in the first heat of his 100m free, since he had no previous gala time he was among younger newbies. This meant he was home before second place even hit 75, but he had no competition and thats what pushes you along. He still swam 1:11, for a PB, and further cementing his reputation as king shark in the household :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You're having a rough trot of it with your health. Hopefully you respond well to the inhaler and anti-bs.

Great showing from the kids!!! :cool:

How's the shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Today was a swim gala, I'll be living competition through my kids for a while. Missy did 1:45 for 100 breast, which is a pb but she is pissed she didn't go faster. Attagirl. Junior was put in the first heat of his 100m free, since he had no previous gala time he was among younger newbies. This meant he was home before second place even hit 75, but he had no competition and thats what pushes you along. He still swam 1:11, for a PB, and further cementing his reputation as king shark in the household :)

I'm still not sure whether I felt pride or shame when my ten year old's 100m fs PB eclipsed mine:o There's nothing like a kids gala to make you realise how poor you really are at swimming, the day I saw an under 10's 100m fs being won in under 1.15 really brought it home to me.

pgibbo wrote: »

How's the shoulder?

Its feeling better day by day, but still a niggle there. I'll chance swimming tonight maybe in the slow lane.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    I'm still not sure whether I felt pride or shame when my ten year old's 100m fs PB eclipsed mine:o There's nothing like a kids gala to make you realise how poor you really are at swimming, the day I saw an under 10's 100m fs being won in under 1.15 really brought it home to me.

"pride or shame" :D thats it in a nutshell! Its amazing to watch fast kids, they make it look so easy.

• Advertisement

Mon 60 mins easy turbo; 2,500m Masters swim

Feeling better today so back on the horse, gentle spinning without power.

Swim:
    Warm up
    200m easy
    20x50 25 b.e.5/25 catch up 10s (I just swam these steady)
    Main set
    20x50 free
    Odds on 45
    Evens on 40
    Swim down
    10x25 free (3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3) 15s (breathed once during 0's)

Two weeks since I've been in the water, I was itching to see how the shoulder performed. Had there been any discomfort at all, I was willing to walk away, but I managed to get through the warm-up fine, albeit not going for a full catch. This meant I had to work with a slightly more bent elbow and use feel for the water rather than power, to get me through the faster 50's. Maybe thats no bad thing. I sat out two of them, mainly being overcautious, but otherwise they went well, hitting the times in the main (slowed towards the end though).

A good test that seems to be passed.

Advertisement