Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Wed 15 min OW swim; 60 mins turbo

I heard a few rumours about the Barrow water temps for the upcoming Carlow Tri, and wanted to have a look myself. Ice cream headache at first, thats fine and expected in May. It was fine after a while, and I could have stayed in a lot longer. Certainly a comfortable temperature... however I also thought the flow was fine last year but everything is at the mercy of the TI officials on the day. 10 mins up for 400m, 5 mins back down.

A sweatfest hour on the turbo:
    10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec build)
    10x(2 95-105%, 2 easy)
    5 easy

I found this tough, felt like I was working but the hard 2 mins were only around 221-227W.

What read the power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

tunney wrote: »
    What read the power?

Garmin 910, same as I've been using the past while.

Edit:
    The penny just dropped :D, you mean "where are the power readings coming from" so any issue would be crank based and dirt stuck in the turbo flywheel is irrelevant.

FWIW when I calibrate the turbo/910 each time the reading is around -500. I've read that figure itself doesn't mean much, but yesterday it displayed -440, and the power reading were low (based on perceived effort). Today I just did 30 mins easy and the power reading were back where I'd expect them for easy effort 150-170W.

Fri 2,600m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    20x100p steady-mod on 1:45
    100 easy

I had read this as steady/mod so alternated efforts. The steadys were in 1:30-1:35, and the mods were in 1:25-1:28. Plenty of rest between each, so the form was good, and the effort didn't seem too hard. The steady pace seemed very comfortable, holding back really.

Sat 1:43 bike, 15min run bric

Bike
    30mins easy
    30 HIM wattage(80-85% FTP)
    10 easy
    20 sprint wattage(95-105% FTP)
    12 easy
    onto run
    10 Sprint pace
    5 easy

Another forced early start, another delighted pair finished at 10am on a Saturday. Met with K for this bric session. I didn't have power on the roadie, so just went by feel. The 30 min HIM was on a hilly section so it was just done with a solid effort, and the Garmin up-and-down graphs don't tell much. We arranged so the 20min Sprint section would be on the old N11, flat with a decent surface, and the overall effort was pretty decent. Around 36 or 37kph overall, often hitting 40kph for flat sections. I was pleased with the effort.

An easy 13 mins back to the car, quick change of shoes, and onto the track. We both found it difficult to run upright at first, but soon got into a rhythm. We started about 4:25/km pace, and ended about 3:54/km pace, for an overall 10 mins at 4:09/km av. Both had found our stride after 10mins, and I was happy with the pace for the effort.

No training, up at the NAC to see Junior swim 1:08 for the 100 free. Household (joint) record was 1:11. A dollop of Pride and a dollop of envy in equal measure :D

• Advertisement

Mon Masters swim

200 WU
    6*50 as (25k, 25 drill, 10s)
    6*400 alternate on 6min/7min
    200 SD

This was a good session, the fast 400's were 5:45, 5:50, 5:55 (had a draft for that one). Felt solid in the water today, as I usually do the day after attending a kids gala. Its an education to watch them.

Tue 3,200m swim; 1:18 bike ride

Swim:
    200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 des 1-4 on 60
    2x400B+B + 15s
    2x300BBP + 30s
    2x200B+B + 15s
    2x100BBP +30sec
    4x50 fast on 60
    100k,100p,100sw

I didn't use my watch, just half an eye on the clock. I'd say the B&B was about 1:43 pace, and faster with the paddles. Form was decent, I got a good rotation going. Find it hard to tumble with the paddles though.

Bike:
    10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec build)
    10x(2 95-105%, 2 easy)
    23 easy

Did this with company, and tried out my new wheels (and new bottom bracket, new brakes) on the TT bike, along the N11. I was nervous having done some DIY mechanicals, but all seemed well on the night. The new wheels performed well (Carbon 82/101 with tubs), and the bike felt better than ever before. We had a tailwind out, and it was a struggle to get back, but the power figures were much better than last week, when I did this session on the turbo.
    10 x 2min hard were:
    332W

Wed 9.52k run; 15mins OW swim

10 easy
    10x(2 sprint pace, 1 easy)
    5 easy

I ran the route of the Carlow Tri, and extended further along the Barrow path to make up my session. Since I've not really an idea of my Sprint pace yet, I targeted 4min/km pace for the 2min intervals. They all came in between 3:45-3:56/km pace, which I'm unlikely to run on Sunday, but is a goal Sprint pace.

Afterwards a bunch from Tinahely club went swimming in the Barrow, brain freeze again but it quickly went, and the water temp is just about perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm hoping / praying that the torrential rain forecast for Saturday doesn't have an impact on the flow :(

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'm hoping / praying that the torrential rain forecast for Saturday doesn't have an impact on the flow :(

What will be, will be. You lads have put together the makings of a great race. 250m upstream if there is any flow (there wasn't much tonight) should be within the capabilities of anyone with a TI card.

• Advertisement

Thurs 2,300 Masters swim

300 WU
    8*50 (25k, 25drill, 10s)
    16*100 alternate on 1:30/2:00

My back is hurting me, think recent training plus an awkward nights sleep on the sofa has caused coniptions. I skipped the planned 60mins easy bike because of it, and stretched it throughout the day. A swim is a good place to be for your back, so along to the Masters tonight, just a couple of up for these 100's. The fast were in 1:25-1:28, others 1:38-1:44. Hope the back clears up for the weekends race. I'll sleep on the hard floor tonight, that often helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck this weekend. I hope the back clears up for it.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Best of luck this weekend. I hope the back clears up for it.

Cheers pgibbo. I tried to get a session with the chiropractor today, but no go. Instead I googled spinal cracking and came across some fun videos, it seems to have made a difference. Lots of stretching, no exercise today, fingers crossed all will be well.

Could be worse though, there's a lad in my wave who seems to have beaten rigor mortis judging by his sandbagging log, and will still make the start line, so he will be the inspiration ;)

SAT 45 min easy run
    Well my back felt better upon waking, so I tried a very easy run this morning with K. Seemed to help a lot, I heard a few clicks which were welcome relief. We kept the run short and finished with a few strides on the track for form. One thing we talked about was injury management- these slow runs where we force each other to slow down, are what allows the faster stuff to be done during the week. Previously we both have been hero's on solo "easy" runs, end up in no man's land pace wise, and suffer with calf/achilles/stress injuries. Not so this year.

Which leads on to the first race of the season tomorrow, and a marker of sorts. I've had a decent winter by previous standards; some training missed through sickness, some swim training missed through shoulder injury, but I'm not carrying any injuries into the race so am happy enough with that. The plan is to swim slower than I usually do, keep the bike wattage under control, and build the run so I'm finishing under 4min/km pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck tomorrow!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Best of luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You were motoring on the bike this morning out and back. There wasn't a motor in the bike was there ;) Hope you had a good race.

It was nice being out on the route as a bike marshall. Up the road though I believe a marshall was getting dogs abuse from residents who wanted to drive out onto the roundabout despite the race.

You were motoring on the bike this morning out and back. There wasn't a motor in the bike was there ;) Hope you had a good race.

It was nice being out on the route as a bike marshall. Up the road though I believe a marshall was getting dogs abuse from residents who wanted to drive out onto the roundabout despite the race.

Cheers Mick I remember now someone calling my name, thought I had fame at last but it must have been you ;) Thanks for the marshalling (and all the other marshalls), tough job but done very well.

Sun Carlow Sprint 1:10:39 (64th place, 6th in AG)

Nice relaxed vibe for this race, Racing795 had done a very good job ensuring we just had to turn up and compete, all the behind-the-scenes stuff was seamless. As its my first race of the season, I spent the drive over thinking of things I forgot (talc was the lone item, not too bad). I had my inhaler in the car but stupidly forgot to take it with me, and this was to cost me dear in the race. Writing it here so I don't forget to keep it in the gear bag again (in fact I should just get a few inhalers). Chatted to a very cool looking joey (rapper hat, mirrored shades, chilled out vibe as he was supporting rather than racing ;)), then went and set up trans.

Swim 0:11:06 (51th)
    I had a nightmare swim. Positioned myself near the front, but with 85 eager souls in each wave swimming upstream to a turnaround after 250m, it was always going to be a scrum. I got quite a few knocks and was struggling to breath- this is where the inhaler would have helped. I actually stopped a couple of times to catch breath, considered dropping out, but plowed on. The turnaround was very congested and aggressive. After that things got a little better, I found clear water and cruised along. Still having difficulty breathing, I got into a solid stroke focussing on relaxing and getting sufficient oxygen. My gasping had calmed down as I exited. The bad swim was my own fault for not having the inhaler, the scrum etc is the same for everyone.

T1 0:01:39
    Went relatively smoothly, the suit was half stripped when I reached the bike, no issues.

Bike 0:35:37 (79th)
    I had a decent enough bike I think. The course is flat for 3.5k, then a steady climb to the turnaround, and reverse for home. Several bikes whizzed by at the start, but I picked off a few places on the climb. I was aiming for 260W, this rose to about 300 on the climb, and fell for the downhill. I can't get much power going down. Garmin says 246W average for the course, which I'm happy enough about. I felt strong on the bike, and was confident descending. 33.9kph average moving speed. Again, I'm happy with that for an up/down course.

T2 0:01:04
    Wasted time getting the garmin off the bike- probably better to have a second watch ready for the run.

Run 0:21:14 (104th)
    My garmin was still set to "bike", so I didn't have pace to guide. That's fine, I did have breathing to guide, and I did have targets ahead. My run was decent enough, perhaps it could have been 30s quicker, but I was only taken by one guy (who was moving so fast he may have been a relay), and I made 7 or 8 places myself. I kept the run solid, just aiming to reel in the runner ahead, and then focus on the next. At the turnaround there was a runner about 80m in front, and I spent the next 2k reeling him in, tired doing so but having a goal made it easier. Over the bridge with 500m to guy and the guy ahead was too far, and running the same pace as me. My mind half resigned to let him go, but also upped the pace, not fully convinced. Running into the finish straight I was sure he was too far ahead, but still the little competitive spark that says "maybe"... I saw him look back with 50m to go and immediately decided to give one last push. Started sprinting, the crowd started reacting which made him aware, and he started sprinting... I decided I was getting him no matter what so upped the pace to maximum effort and just pipped him on the line. Sprint finishes always define how you feel driving home :)

Overall:
    Happy with the race, its a marker at this stage. Mistakes were made, but learned from, and thats important for early in the season. I didn't get a good show in the swim, but the bike and run were solid enough. Had a massage after and the physio said I had a small tear in the hammer, no big deal, ice and rest a couple of days. The damage was done while sprinting at the finish so well worth it! Nice to meet so many from here at the race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done today Kurt. Was a great race overall. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and everything, probably my fav sprint on the calendar. I wouldn't worry too much about that swim, I walked up the bank a few times with each wave and there was carnage at that turn around buoy on each wave. Looked like it drifted down a bit and over towards the other bike. On Laura's wave there must have been 20/30 nearly stood upright trying to get around it.

I know talking to lads in the club before they weren't expecting the bike to be as tough. 200m over 20km isn't a huge amount but its not really over 20km, its out and back so over 10k and then the 3.5 flat at the start means its a decent climb. Know a few lads in our club pushed too hard going up and only felt it during the last 2/3k of the run.

Well done though, you looked in good shape and seemed to be running well off the bike.

I thought it took you a minute to figure out who I was alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Swim was tougher than expected, the current was strong and did push the buoy off a bit for the last wave. Same numbers per wave as last year but seems the packs stayed quite tight until the turnaround when they began to break up on the downstream leading to a bit of a scrum for the first few couple of hundred meters. Tough upstream swim with a bit of a brawl, you must have loved it Kurt ;) Quite a few shook looking athletes coming into T2 having pushed too hard on the start of the bike and paying for it at the end. Overall seems to have gone well - apart from the usual abuse of marshals by drivers not happy about closed roads. At least the weather stayed dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done on getting your first race under your belt in good early-season form!!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

nicely done on the power targets too. always difficult to get them right on a short course with uphill/downhill as you are never quite sure how hard to push the uphill to make up for the downhill on the way back, 246 off a target of 260 is damn close

Lessons learned:
    Its probably useful to write this down for my own benefit so early in the season.

1. Pre race check- get extra inhalers and keep a dedicated one in kit bag.
    2. Swim- I much prefer clear water to a scrum so do my own thing at the start (go out hard if it means clear water until things settle down).
    3. Bike- I need to learn how to bike downhill, and to keep the power high when going down.
    4. Metrics- lost 30s taking the 910xt off the bike. A dedicated Edge 500 to show bike power was purchased this morning.
    5. Run- I can sustain a slightly higher pace than I think- I ran 4:16/km average when closer to 4:00/km is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

On the biking downhill bit - while it's important to know how to descend etc, don't be expecting to keep an even power profile over a hilly course - it'll actually work out faster to go harder on the uphills and take the /small/ amount of recovery you'll get naturally on a downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

kurt when do you think its right to use an inhaler
    ie you got thorugh the swim do you think it would have been fair to give you an edge using it when you dont had to ? after all its an performance enhancing drug as much as a medical device.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    ie you got thorugh the swim do you think it would have been fair to give you an edge using it when you dont had to ? after all its an performance enhancing drug as much as a medical device.
    Inhalers such as Salbutamol and Terabutaline are Beta-2 Agonists. This refers to the type of medication they are, but there is an important difference: Salbutamol doesn’t need a therapeutic use exemption [TUE], although the permitted maximum level of the substance is 1600 micrograms over 24 hours.

CT: Do you believe if somebody doesn’t have asthma but takes an inhaler, that there is a boost?

CMG: No. It might simply give you palpitations.

CT: So you feel the only way that people who don’t have asthma might be getting a boost is if they are injecting these substances rather than inhaling them?

CMG: Yes.
    http://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/why-do-so-many-elite-cyclists-have-asthma/

Salbutamol aka Ventoline aka the blue inhaler does not require a TUE because it is not performance enhancing.

Thought you'd know better Peter.

peter kern wrote: »

It's an honest question Peter. After suffering a month-long cough earlier this year the Doc said my asthma had returned, prescribed inhalers (along with a TUE). Does it give me an advantage over not using it? Absolutely. Can I use it legally under TI rules? Absolutely. I don't draft on the bike, I let people pass if they tap my feet in pool tri's, I go around every swim bouy even when they have drifted off course, if a gel wrapper falls from my pocket I'll stop on the course to retrieve it... so once I abide by the rules, ethics don't come into it.

tunney wrote: »
    http://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/why-do-so-many-elite-cyclists-have-asthma/

Salbutamol aka Ventoline aka the blue inhaler does not require a TUE because it is not performance enhancing.

Thought you'd know better Peter.

this is conflitiong info now as kurt says he has a tue ?

• Advertisement

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    It's an honest question Peter. After suffering a month-long cough earlier this year the Doc said my asthma had returned, prescribed inhalers (along with a TUE). Does it give me an advantage over not using it? Absolutely. Can I use it legally under TI rules? Absolutely. I don't draft on the bike, I let people pass if they tap my feet in pool tri's, I go around every swim bouy even when they have drifted off course, if a gel wrapper falls from my pocket I'll stop on the course to retrieve it... so once I abide by the rules, ethics don't come into it.

anyway you have more of my repsct for not using it. well done.

Advertisement