Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    this is conflitiong info now as kurt says he has a tue ?

Nope, its not conflicting.

Just means someone else was wrong.

http://list.wada-ama.org/list/s3-beta-2-agonists/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

this is conflitiong info now as kurt says he has a tue ?

My mistake Peter I asked the doc to give me a letter saying the use was thereuputic, I never applied for a TUE (don't have to do so as only competing domestically)

anyway you have more of my repsct for not using it. well done.

Why? I'd be pretty surprised if someone respected me more for not taking prescribed medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Why? I'd be pretty surprised if someone respected me more for not taking prescribed medication.[/QUOTE.

at the end of the day ventulin is a weight loss drug too. and consequently potentially pefromance enhancing like eating steaks from a butcher ;-) and of course there is other side effect of the drug.

Anyway iam nore a natural guy ie i let my cold run out with out antibotics this year it took four weeks but chances are good should I realy use at some stage it might work then
    ( not saying this is better its just the way i prefer it )

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Why? I'd be pretty surprised if someone respected me more for not taking prescribed medication.[/QUOTE.

at the end of the day ventulin is a weight loss drug too. and consequently potentially pefromance enhancing like eating steaks from a butcher ;-) and of course there is other side effect of the drug.

Anyway iam nore a natural guy ie i let my cold run out with out antibotics this year it took four weeks but chances are good should I realy use at some stage it might work then
    ( not saying this is better its just the way i prefer it )

Aren't colds viral anyway?

• Advertisement

Clenbuterol is not ventolin and vice versa.

It is theorised that injecting ventolin can have anabolic effects. It cannot have an anabolic effort taken as an inhaler. Its just not possible.
    Anyway iam nore a natural guy ie i let my cold run out with out antibotics this year it took fur weeks

Sensible as colds are usually the result viral pathogens and not bacterial ones.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

shooting from the hipps Dave?
    i really dont think we can be so sure that its not perforamce enhancing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26239482

tunney wrote: »
    Clenbuterol is not ventolin and vice versa.

It is theorised that injecting ventolin can have anabolic effects. It cannot have an anabolic effort taken as an inhaler. Its just not possible.

Sensible as colds are usually the result viral pathogens and not bacterial ones.

shooting from the hipps Dave?
    i really dont think we can be so sure that its not perforamce enhancing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26239482

Emmmm Peter Kerns or WADA?
    Which might know about about PEDs.

Of course. Hands up, you've unmasked me.

I'm surprised at your tone Peter- perhaps I'm reading something that isn't meant, but you are bringing up respect, weight loss, enhanced performances, etc. I take an inhaler because I have bronchitis and asthma, on doctors orders. It's this damp Irish climate, and I've only been warm-weather training once this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

So that's how you beat me by a few secs....joking of course;)

• Advertisement

Mon Masters swim 3,450m

After the race I got a rub from one of the physios, who said I may have a mild hamstring tear. Rest was prescribed, until I couldn't feel it any more. I rested all day Monday and couldn't feel a thing, and was itching to get back in the water, so joined the lads for a steady swim. They were targeting a straight 3kTT, I went on the back with pb throughout, and grabbed a draft for much of it. The swim was very comfortable, I focussed on keeping decent form, and the arms didn't seem to tire much during the swim. Pace was a relatively consistent 1:38/100m throughout, and I felt much better after it.

Tue 20k bike; 10min OW swim

Did the bike with company, they showed me a local short loop just outside Arklow with some killer climbs. After a warmup we climbed a real toughie, turned and biked down again. I was surprised to see them descend so quick, I was on the breaks all the way- but still hit 68kph, higher than the max 63kph I hit in Sundays race. This tells me I need to learn to bike downhill. Next, a few 2min/1min hard/easy, before heading back.

A short drive and quick change and we were into the sea for the first time this year, 10 mins of a dip. The water is colder than the river, brain freeze took a lot longer to go, but it felt great to be fighting waves and sighting again. Love the sea!

Wed Nothing

Thurs 60 mins easy turbo 155W

We went out last night for a very fancy meal, kids and grandparents, which was well worth a day off. Feeling a bit hungover today, so just did 60mins easy spinning, using my new Edge 500 for data. It will stay on the bike during races which will make T2 20 secs faster (previously I had been taking off the 910XT for the run).

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Which race you entered into on Sun kurt?

Which race you entered into on Sun kurt?

Doing the Oly for the 3rd year in a row. Kids are down to race as well, so three sets of gear/bikes to organise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Doing the Oly for the 3rd year in a row. Kids are down to race as well, so three sets of gear/bikes to organise!

Might drop down the distance for a swim face off. You'll probably easily beat me though..

BTH wrote: »
    Might drop down the distance for a swim face off. You'll probably easily beat me though..

Haha don't get me started, the goal is a solid steady swim. If there is the whiff of competition to T1 however... ;)

How is your training going? It should be mandatory for mods to keep logs here!

Haha don't get me started, the goal is a solid steady swim. If there is the whiff of competition to T1 however... ;)

How is your training going? It should be mandatory for mods to keep logs here!

Training has seldom been worse. I have no interest in going on Sunday but they're already got my money so I guess I should go and do some race anyway.

It would kill you to forfeit money to them at this stage! ;)

Hope to see you there, I'll gladly take a swim draft if you're doing the Oly.

It would kill you to forfeit money to them at this stage! ;)

Hope to see you there, I'll gladly take a swim draft if you're doing the Oly.

I'll be the one drafting off you, trust me.

• Advertisement

Kurt_Godel wrote:

Sounds like a good weekend plan. I'll ask bth to point you out - if he has time between all his sandbagging :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i may be up as well, doing the family distance, entertain 6 year old, change nappy on 1 year old, then a well deserved coffee for dad. that second leg is a killer.

will keep an eye out if i'm there for ye

Sounds like a good weekend plan. I'll ask bth to point you out - if he has time between all his sandbagging :-)

SPRINT PLUS!!! Maybe I'll join you instead. I reckon I'll safely take that swim prime!!!

BTH wrote:
    SPRINT PLUS!!! Maybe I'll join you instead. I reckon I'll safely take that swim prime!!!

I've no doubt you would. More suited to us non swim type folk

I might close this tread for a few days. #noswim #foggy

I might close this tread for a few days. #noswim #foggy

Thankfully, the swim for the Olympic went ahead (as you are well aware now) {and I will remind you of constantly}

Nice to meet you today BTH, you went by me on the bike at a fair clip. Story 9f the day seems to be sapped legs on the run.

Junior is off now on his race wearing my trisuit and wetsuit. They grow up so quick!

Great swim, came in about 5th in his wave, proceeds to run out with his bike but without any shoes... thank grud for hover parents ☺

Sun Lough Cutra Oly 19th place 2:25:50

I went down with Junior the night before, caravan in tow. I've enjoyed this race before, yes its pricey, yes they brought in stupid spectator charges (reversed that decision thankfully), yes the "campsite" is expensive at €25 per night to stay in an uncut field... but the most important thing is organisation, and they have year on year scored high on this point.

I went down early on race morning to see off the Gauntlet... there was a mist down so you couldn't even see the lake. They put back the race start hoping the mist would burn off, and at 9:30 announced it would go ahead, all in for a race briefing, and a few minutes later everyone back into trans, swim called off again. I gather from speaking to a few that the Cutra people were more than willing for it to go ahead, but TI called it off on safety grounds. I'll leave it up to those entered in the Half to decide if that was the right call or not; thankfully I was in the Oly race which went ahead as planned about 11am (fog had lifted by 10am).

Swim 23:23
    Plan was to enjoy this swim, not exit wrecked, get a solid time. The lake was lovely and warm, calm as a pool. I found feet pretty soon, seemed to be going at a decent clip, swimming a little wide but nothing too bad. By 500m I was tapping his toes a bit too often, guess he was tiring. When someone taps your toes the instinct is to go faster and shake them off, and sure enough so it was with this guy. Suited me perfectly, I had a great tug till halfway where I left him. All the way back I jumped on others feet for a while, and left them as they tired. This swim was great, never been in such control. Exited in good form.

T1
    Pretty quick, no issues. Tough running up that hill but its the same for everyone!

Bike 1:17:15
    Soon after hitting the roads I was passed by BTH (is that enough clues, no-one is biting? I BEAT HIM IN THE SWIM PEOPLE!!!) who was going at a good clip. I had my new Garmin Edge showing power and speed, and tried to keep it over 260W as best I could. The backroads are fairly undulating and jarring (again, the same for everyone), but I was doing ok on the straights. I probably went a little too hard on the bike, my average numbers are 33.4kph and 258W- better numbers than last weeks Sprint.

T2 1:03

Run 43:14
    Straight away on the run I knew I would pay for the decent bike. I had nothing in my legs, the soft ground seemed to eat up my stride, just beat altogether. I tried as much as I could to change the tempo or turnover, but there was nothing there, so the run was a test of endurance and I was very glad to see the finish line.

Overall I'm happy enough, lessons learnt. I really enjoyed the trip, its a magical place when the sun is shining and they put on a decent event. Kids races followed in the afternoon and I got to watch Junior excel in his swim. A very good way to spend the weekend. Nice to meet so many from here and shoot the breeze :)

I'll be the one drafting off you, trust me.
    Thankfully, the swim for the Olympic went ahead (as you are well aware now) {and I will remind you of constantly}

Nice to meet you today BTH, you went by me on the bike at a fair clip.
    Soon after hitting the roads I was passed by BTH (is that enough clues, no-one is biting? I BEAT HIM IN THE SWIM PEOPLE!!!) who was going at a good clip.

Your victory to T1 was no a surprise, but congratulations nonetheless :) I'm actually relatively happy I was that close to be honest. About 3/400m into the swim I could see a small group about 20m in front of me. I did try to lift the effort a bit to tag on the back of the group but the swim fitness is only allowing one pace at the minute and I was soon pushing too hard so I let them go and swam solo. Odds are that you (and Ross who i pointed out before the swim) were in that group considering you were 18th (21sec ahead of me) and he was 17th (25sec ahead of me) and I was 22nd out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

I had my new Garmin Edge showing power and speed, and tried to keep it over 260W as best I could. The backroads are fairly undulating and jarring (again, the same for everyone), but I was doing ok on the straights. I probably went a little too hard on the bike, my average numbers are 33.4kph and 258W- better numbers than last weeks Sprint.

Kurt - for that power your average speed seems low. When i used a PM if i averaged that sort of power i wouldnt have been a million miles off average of 40kph. i appreciate there are differences in PM. i dont know the course down there at all either

Advertisement