Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

MD1983 wrote: »
    Kurt - for that power your average speed seems low. When i used a PM if i averaged that sort of power i wouldnt have been a million miles off average of 40kph. i appreciate there are differences in PM. i dont know the course down there at all either

Yes I was disappointed with the average kph for that effort. Its a very twisty, bumpy route on rough surface for over half the route. Having said that that, these were the sections people put distance into me, so perhaps my weight/power ratio needs bettering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MD1983 wrote: »
    Kurt - for that power your average speed seems low. When i used a PM if i averaged that sort of power i wouldnt have been a million miles off average of 40kph. i appreciate there are differences in PM. i dont know the course down there at all either

agreeds - typicall for someone with a reasonable position ( and a little lighter) 260 watts is close to or over 40kph even on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I believe Ed had a similar issue a couple of years ago with a P2M and the numbers weren't reading right because one of the bolts was too tight. Might be worth dropping him a PM

9htdvp.png

There's my race power in grey, overlaid with speed and elevation.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    9htdvp.png

There's my race power in grey, overlaid with speed and elevation.

If you believed in power and numbers and things like CDa I would suggest finding a big hill with known elevation, someone who has P1s and verified against calibrated SRMs, and verify your PM against the pedals and then work out your CDA from virtual elevation and from these tests figure out
    a) if your PM is hosed
    b) if you are actually aero

Just a thought. Other option is to turn off the display and just use speed, or perhaps a ouija board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yes I was disappointed with the average kph for that effort. Its a very twisty, bumpy route on rough surface for over half the route. Having said that that, these were the sections people put distance into me, so perhaps my weight/power ratio needs bettering.

For reference 225w @ 68kg on some of the same roads you biked and yielding 35kmph. I reckon your PM might be out of whack as the course was not too lumpy (for the Gauntlet anyhow)

Cheers for the feedback lads. I'm not that concerned about PM figure as a number per se, more that it is accurate to its own previous zones. Holding circa 260W+ yesterday seemed what I should be aiming for, based on previous figures. If I'm honest, it was a little high to aim for. Useful to have a figure to keep it steady effort throughout the 40k route.

Bike handling and lower weight (currently 87kg) should result in faster speed.

You spent 5.4% of the ride (by time) coasting.
    power_speed.png
    Clearly see the drop off on any inclination of any type

speed_distribution.png

From looking at the files and maps looks a bit like corners and inclinations are the issue.

Modelled FTP is coming in at 272 based on that effort. Doesn't explain the power v speed though.

Analysis of your sensor data seems to suggest, at the very least, the speed channel is hosed.

Mon 3,500m Masters swim

200m WU
    6*50 as (25k, 25 drill)
    3*1000m (2 mins rest)

The body was achey and tired today, especially my quads which felt like they took a pounding. My aim for this swim was to maintain a steady pace, using a pull bouy. Since good swimming means good technique, tired muscles should not matter too much at a steady pace, and lessons can be learned in holding good form when the body does start to flag.
    I managed the first 2 intervals well, not taking a draft and holding 1:35/100m pace without too much effort. Raising my ass seemed to help a "swimming downhill" stroke, something I noticed in yesterdays race. The third interval I was tiring, and it was harder to hold form, which slipped to 1:37/100m pace.
    The body felt a thousand times better after this swim, it was much needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Bike handling and lower weight (currently 87kg) should result in faster speed.

And first things, first. Once you've everything else in order, it might be time to worry about what Sir David Bralisford is saying to you.

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    And first things, first. Once you've everything else in order, it might be time to worry about what Sir David Bralisford is saying to you.

Yes, the weight is going in the right direction, and the next few races are on less technical courses than Cutra (HOTW, Wicklow, CK).

I've a fairly ecumenical attitude to weight though, it takes a lot of discipline to get to a good racing weight, and I've not been willing to make the sacrifices yet.

Tue 3,100m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    5x400sw STEADY + 30sec
    8x50 alt fast/easy on 60
    200 choice easy

The 400's were in:
    6:30
    6:34 (pb)
    6:33
    6:44 (pb)
    6:34

Fast 50's all under 40s.

PM 40min bike
    5 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30 sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    20x(1 alt 100%/90%)
    5 easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

pgibbo wrote: »
    I believe Ed had a similar issue a couple of years ago with a P2M and the numbers weren't reading right because one of the bolts was too tight. Might be worth dropping him a PM

My issue was the non drive lateral adjuster on the rotor 3d+ cranks was faaar too tight! Had to be Mallorca HIM too! Fixed it a few days/weeks later and rode a very comfortable 42k in Rosslare Olympic near 40km/hr for not much more power although I know I need to push >320w for 40km/hr

Bambaata wrote: »
    My issue was the non drive lateral adjuster on the rotor 3d+ cranks was faaar too tight! Had to be Mallorca HIM too! Fixed it a few days/weeks later and rode a very comfortable 42k in Rosslare Olympic near 40km/hr for not much more power although I know I need to push >320w for 40km/hr

Thanks Bambaata- in my case the lateral adjuster is too loose and needs tightening! But its good to know you need 320+ for 40kph, makes me "trust" the readings on the PM. The important number is speed, but if you can trust the power (however it is calibrated), speed should follow.

While you're here- are you racing any Tri's this summer? Or have you gone totally over to the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So, are you supposed to wear a nose clip when you use a snorkel?? :confused:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, are you supposed to wear a nose clip when you use a snorkel?? :confused:

Hahaha the student has become the master ;) Good for you Carol, there's always room for one more swim toy in the kit bag, eh? I wear a clip if I'm tumble turning with the centre snorkle, but don't wear one if I'm using it in the tethered pool. Sure your brain is practically pickled in chlorine at this stage, whats a few more drops going to do? Enjoy!:D

Hahaha the student has become the master ;) Good for you Carol, there's always room for one more swim toy in the kit bag, eh? I wear a clip if I'm tumble turning with the centre snorkle, but don't wear one if I'm using it in the tethered pool. Sure your brain is practically pickled in chlorine at this stage, whats a few more drops going to do? Enjoy!:D

I tried out the snorkel for the first time last night (its use is purely for my post- surgery recovery!!!!) and it was awful. I kept turning my head to breathe, and when I would remember not to breathe, water would go up my nose! I think the only way I will manage this is to get a nose clip.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I tried out the snorkel for the first time last night (its use is purely for my post- surgery recovery!!!!) and it was awful. I kept turning my head to breathe, and when I would remember not to breathe, water would go up my nose! I think the only way I will manage this is to get a nose clip.

Well of course it is- Dory using a centre snorkel for stroke correction?!? Guilding the lily! I'm sure it will be immensely useful to you post-surgery, and I'll be eagerly following your thoughts and sessions with the snorkel.

Wed 9.46k easy run 5:33 pace

Its a(nother) great day during Ye Great Irish Heatwave 2016 and I did an old neglected loop to Tomnafinnogue and back over the hill. Feels like running in France, as good as a holiday. May set up the tent in the back garden tonight and have a holiday. BBQ and wine, mon dieu.

And then wake up and begin to get serious about weight loss, which is holding me back on the bike and the run. There's little point in people giving very good advice on this or that aspect of my training/racing, if I continue to look at myself in the mirror face on, gut sucked in, thinking "not too bad"... <85kg for the next race HOTW, there's little point in training the engine this much if the chassis is overwrought.

Thurs 90min easy bike; 40mins Masters swim

A great easy bike on a wonderful summers evening, around the lesser-travelled roads of Wicklow. This was a tonic, exactly the sort of spin I needed. My buddy listened to an account of the weekends racing, and gave some very good advice- I was carrying fatigue into the Oly from the previous weeks Sprint. So the body got to deal with stress under load, survived, and will adapt and get better. Perfect analysis and just the right words I needed to hear.

Afterwards into the pool for some technique work- fist fly, one arm BS, one-arm FC, a couple of fast 100's... allsorts tonight.

• Advertisement

Fri 3,150m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 des 1-4 on 60
    400sw,4x100B+B + 15s
    300sw,3x100B+B + 15s
    200sw,2x100B+B + 15s
    100sw,100B+B + 15s
    4x50 fast on 60
    50k,100p,100sw

The steady swims were about 1:39 pace, and about 1:44 for the B+B. I guess pace is irrelevant doing this session, its all about form. I'd like to do the B+B in a 50m pool, the break at 25m is annoying.

Fast 50's weren't great at 40-42s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Did you ever resurrect the paddling pool in your garden for training? Perfect weather for it now

mloc123 wrote: »
    Did you ever resurrect the paddling pool in your garden for training? Perfect weather for it now

haha would you believe I am looking at it right now and will turn on the filter for an hour... then straight in! I was "swimming" in it yesterday, and will set up the tether and use if properly soon. It stayed in situ (drained of water) all winter, I filled it last week and has had lots of use since with the kids. Best Tri spend ever!

Sat Nothing
    I was at the NAC very early today as Missy had qualified for the Leinster swim finals in 200m breast. She swam a corker in her heat, taking 9 secs off her PB, and qualified for the finals that evening. The best thing in the world is a happy young girl, so she got treated to a race costume from the Swimkit shop. The final was at 6pm so we killed time in the heat as best we could (I had running gear with me but never got used). The diving pool was occupied so we "swam" in Aquazone... limit of my days exercise. She swam a corker in the final, came 5th and took a further 6 seconds off her PB. The drive home was a treat with talk of who she beat, how close she was to a medal, ways to improve, Olympics 2020... it more than compensated for any missed session in my program.:)

Sun 19.7k hilly run

60mins easy
    20mins steady
    29 mins easy

It was hot again today so I took to the hills, running along the Annagh trails. The 20min steady was a bit of work, about 4:18/km pace, before I gladly slowed to plod home. I'm so used to watching pace, PM, pool clock, that it was nice to just run in the hills for a bit. I need to include more of this.

Sat Nothing
    I was at the NAC very early today as Missy had qualified for the Leinster swim finals in 200m breast. She swam a corker in her heat, taking 9 secs off her PB, and qualified for the finals that evening. The best thing in the world is a happy young girl, so she got treated to a race costume from the Swimkit shop. The final was at 6pm so we killed time in the heat as best we could (I had running gear with me but never got used). The diving pool was occupied so we "swam" in Aquazone... limit of my days exercise. She swam a corker in the final, came 5th and took a further 6 seconds off her PB. The drive home was a treat with talk of who she beat, how close she was to a medal, ways to improve, Olympics 2020... it more than compensated for any missed session in my program.:)

Now this has put a smile on my face. :) Please tell Missy super-duper congrats for me. What a fantastic day for her....and for you! :D

Mon Killiney OW race, 30k easy run

First OW race of the season for me, as usual its a breeze to reg and chat to whoever is waiting around. Lovely sunshine, the bay looked calm, all systems go. I was given a 5min handicap, got in with 2 mins to go and acclimatised. It wasn't too cold at all, although it did feel colder once you swam a bit deeper. The current was against us to the first bouy, and there was plenty of fighting to get around once you hit it. I had the usual shoals of fish pass me by- one of the best things about these OW races is you get to see the style and stroke of the fast guys up close. The turn for home was good, I passed a few here, and a mad scramble back to the beach. 104th place, 21:26 according to my watch, but these races are not about numbers. Great fun, looking forward to more of the same.

Straight away I laced up the runners and put on the backpack for a long slog to Blanchardstown to meet the ladies. The run along Vico road and on towards Dun Loaighre was fantastic. Rain started to come down heavy from there, and I was soaked but liking it. Pace was a steady 5:20/km or so, and I felt good until I hit town. Lots of congestion until I hit the Park. The run was a longer distance than I anticipated, and I was at 26k at the top of the park. I hadn't had anything to drink, wasn't really feeling thirsty but the legs were starting to hurt. I walked for 5 mins and ran a further 4km to Blanch at a slower 5:40 pace. Tired at the end, thats the limit of what I can run unfueled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Some good training there Kurt but I'm going to ask the obvious question, was that 30km run on the plan?? How's the body today?

joey100 wrote: »
    Some good training there Kurt but I'm going to ask the obvious question, was that 30km run on the plan?? How's the body today?

No, the plan was 3hr easy bike- a puncture on our main car meant I couldn't take the bike to Dublin and bike back after the race. So I concocted a plan B, which ended up being 5km longer than anticipated...

Body is stiff today, like I ran a marathon. I've done this sort of thing before (unfueled long runs without distance background), and usually get a benefit in kickstarting running and weight loss, so we'll see what transpires.

Tue 3,000m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    4x500sw coming in on 8, off on 10
    4x50 alt fast/easy on 60
    300 choice easy

I knew this swim would be tough as the legs were dragging, so I used pb for some of the 500's. Felt ok in the water but times were down on what I'd expect for the effort- 8:15pb, 8:04, 8:12pb, 8:27pb. Fast 50's were 39, 42. Body was fatigued, but a lot less stiff after this swim.

PM 40 mins turbo

5 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30 sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    20x(1 alt 100%/90%)
    5 easy

This was a test; if I didn't hit the numbers then yesterday would have been in vain. Thankfully I managed it with relative ease (although I found it easier to stay over 270W=100% than 243W=90%). I smelt rubber starting off, and have a sneaking suspicion that something is rubbing my rear wheel. The chain feels tight, it could use another link. Perhaps the wheel is slightly moving foward under chain stress- this would be consistent with the design of my dropouts.

• Advertisement

Wed 2,500m swim

200sw,200p,4x50k
    4x50 des 1-4 on 60
    5x300 alt sw/p mod hard + 20sec
    300 swim down

Legs felt better than yesterday. I watched a faster guy swimming his 500's, and noticed his greater pelvic twist when swimming. Think I need to work on my rotation (core work would help). My 300's were (x:xx/100m pace): 1:35, 1:40pb, 1:36, 1:41pb, 1:37.

Advertisement