Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

griffin100 wrote: »
    It could be worse, you could be sitting in a B&B in Killarney listening to the howling wind and torrential rain outside knowing you have to get up in 6hrs to do an IM.

I'll bear that in mind alright! Best of luck tomorrow Peter. May the Force be with you!

Your IRL buddy is racing next weekend as well! The series continues....

:D He came in one place ahead of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    :D He came in one place ahead of me!

I seen you's finish! Very very close again!!! Hes delighted been chasing that podium for the year!

Sat Tri the Hook Sprint

As I type I've no idea of position/time, but I may as well do a report while its fresh, since I did this for other reasons.

I've done this somewhat local (<100k) race in 2012 and 2014, mainly because I used to swim these bays as a kid on holidays. Both times I've been left disappointed with hugely shortened swims (250m, 450m) in perfect conditions, and I vowed "never again". I heard from a few that 2015 was a good race, so entered again this year. Build up has been race after race after race- I'm enjoying the competition this year, and fitness is largely carrying through from race to race.

The night before there was all sorts of storm warnings, I decided against going as I didn't want the disappointment of another cancelled swim. However, I always remember something interested told me a few years back in Valentia when its swim was cancelled- "don't let it affect you, race what is on offer, practice transitions, do as good as you can do". So I decided to head down with a "what will be will be" attitude and do my best no matter what the circumstances.

There's a world between deciding and doing however, and I found it hard to bridge that gap. But it was something I worked on during the race, and probably the most positive aspect to take home.

Swim
    I was surprised the swim was going ahead, based on past years. While wave 1 lined up, someone ran down to the beach with the two turning bouys:rolleyes: Too late to put them out, instead we were instructed to swim to a yellow kayak, turn and swim to a second yellow kayak, and back to the beach. It was obvious this would be difficult, bearing in mind other safety kayaks were moving along the course for previous wave. Anyway, run in start, dive against the waves, and off. The swim out was "with" the flow, only difficulty was sighting in the swell. I stopped a couple of times to confirm, and had a good enough start, turned in about 4th. On to the second kayak, which was very hard to spot. We had been told to use the large RNLI boat as a marker, but it seemed to have moved (to my mind anyway). Waves were crashing, gobfuls of water, against a flow- this was my type of swimming, and I was relishing being out there. Had to pull back a bit with the excitement; the swim is only a warm-up.
    I stopped and sighted a couple of times, bit realised I was sighting off a safety kayak, and had been swimming inside the correct kayak. There were two other lads close, so I swam across them and pointed, and we all diverted course and swam around the marker. Not so for plenty of others who cut a sizeable chunk off without penalty.
    Back into the beach, against a strong tide. I'm not sure where I exited, I had been high up my wave but a lot undercut the course, so no real idea. However, I was happy the swim went ahead, and happy with my own swim, and thats all that really matters to me today.

T1
    Stripped my wetsuit on the beach and ran the steep climb to the top. Fast enough transition.

Bike
    It was very windy out there. A mate recced the course last night and I asked if they had swept the gravel from the tight corners- "They've added to it!" was the answer. I drove it before regging and indeed several of the tight corners were full of grit. Anyway, I was passed fy 4 or 5 during the bike, I did what I could do, and garmin says 33.4kph average, which I'll take for that course. Solid enough bike. Let a roar at one last who passed drafting, and immediately regretted it. None of my business, don't let it affect my race.
    Half way through the bike I realised I must be doing well overall AG-wise, so determined to focus on the rest of the race. I can do so for recent club races, but todays race is a bit too mickey-mouse to focus. Nevertheless, focus I must, and I tried to push towards the end, all the while visualising T2, and the run.

T2
    No issues, probably could have shaved 10s.

Run
    Of the 4 or 5 (from wave 2) who passed during the bike, I caught one in trans. Two other lads were 50m ahead, and I hunted them down steadily over the first 2k. It helped having targets from wave 1, targets are always good. I was happy to see the 3km sign, and looked at 3 lads a good bit ahead, all the while concerned others would catch. Long story short, I held my position to the finish. No idea of pace, but it was a decent enough run. I was met at the line by my IRL-shirt nemesis, who just pipped me today. Neither of us were wearing IRL-shirts, both incognito lest the other see a target on their back. Thats what competition will do for you :)

Overall
    Solid race, I'll need to fill in the numbers after results go up. I feel I raced very well, I expect to podium in AG, although I think the swim cutting will skew overall NS results.

I seen you's finish! Very very close again!!! Hes delighted been chasing that podium for the year!

Good man, where did he come in AG?

(next up will be Clougherhead ;))

• Advertisement

Good man, where did he come in AG?

(next up will be Clougherhead ;))

2nd , would make you third id say !

2nd , would make you third id say !

Ah, well done PD!

3rd is grand, target was a podium today... must get on to the organisers, I'd say they were very good AG prizes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ah, well done PD!

3rd is grand, target was a podium today... must get on to the organisers, I'd say they were very good AG prizes ;)

Yep you were 3rd. Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats on the podium!!!! Whoop whoop!! Nothing like a little bling to make your heart sing! ;)

Mon 10k easy 5:07/km

Had company chatting all the way for this run, which felt very easy despite trying to keep it under 5:30 pace. Legs and body felt good.

I'm entered in DCTri next Sunday, I'll make a call on going up or not closer to the weekend. This Summer of racing has worked well so far, I'm enjoying myself while getting faster. I'm very conscious there's only two more races left, DCTri and my A goal of Clougherhead, so want to continue this streak.

Think its fair to say the log title was well chosen!:)

• Advertisement

Tue 1:10 turbo

5 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec build)
    4x(13 90-95%5%, 2 easy)

Turbo's can be boring, so it helps to watch some entertainment, and my recent recommended viewing was Stranger Things. My youngest watched it and wants me to finish so we can discuss without spoilers... anyone who has a tweenie, its the perfect series to watch.

Otherwise some number-watching, nothing too bad, the wattage was kept around 240 or so. "Perhaps" Wicklow Bray aquathon tomorrow evening; "perhaps" DCTri at the weekend, whatever keeps the Summer Smile machine chuggin' over...

...and seeing Dory posting again on her log has certainly helped in that regard! I'm going to start a low-level campaign to get her posting more frequently. This is a good place with good people and good advice, too many are dropping off the radar, low-level campaigns need to be advertised, formalised, realised. (s=z for this campaign...)

Sun Dublin City Tri 2:15:44, DQ'ed

Hands up, its my own fault, I didn't pay attention during briefing. So long story short is I turned for home one swim bouy too soon.

Swim 16:07
    I watched previous waves going off and evryone was having problems with the central dividers, which were snaking all over the place and made a straight line very difficult. I opted to stay left, close to the bank, and got a good start from the off, leading for the first 100m or so. Unfortunately I ran into weeds and a group of about four went by me. I swam out and tried to hook onto legs but they had made 10m on me. Round the bouy, and start swimming upstream. This was a matter of plugging away to get on the feet ahead, and after quite a while I managed to do so (looked like he'd been dropped by the leaders). He must have been tiring though, a couple of touches on his feet and he stopped and started breaststroking, so I passed and swam into fresh water myself. The center divider was causing some issues, you had to swim out from it or you'd be caught with its snaking. After a while it stopped, no divide in the river.
    Up to a lad in a kayak, past him, and I realise he's been hiding the next section of divider. I was on the wrong side, so swam back under to correct. I worked from here to the next bouy, and rounded it (this was an error, there was a further bouy higher up). Swam back down, lots of traffic from earlier waves but thats not unusual. Up to the exit, got hauled out, and into trans. I felt like I'd left a solid swim, but had no idea I'd shortened it. Very hard to gauge distance/time when you're pushing in a race.

T1 1:45
    No issues.

Bike 1:09:46
    I'm very pleased with the bike. Right the way around I was pushing it, keepig an eye on a higher wattage than usual. It was quite congested by the time we hit the course (final wave), but no real issues passing people. Any slower sections were uphills or technical biking, but I liked the course overall and was pleased with how I handled it.

T2 1:31
    No issues.

Run 46:36
    A few hilly drags, but I paced the run well enough. I was conscious of perhaps having overcooked the bike, so ran the first 5k cautiously enough (22:30). It helped having so many targets to pass, that helps take your mind off things. Wasn't passed by too many during the run myself, so overall I was happy with how it was going. I tried to keep up the pace on the second 5k (22:13), think the course was a little long? Anyway, going down the Kyber second time I was passed by a lad who looked like my AG or thereabouts. He put in 20m, and I was resigned to finish behind him, but once we hit the final 500m outside of the park I started reeling him in. Still in two minds regarding settling for second behind him, but with 200 to go I sprinted the rest, passing him and finishing dry retching from the effort.

Overall
    Obviously I'm not happy with having undercut the swim, but overall I had a very solid race, probably one of my best. The bike in particular was just rewards for the effort put in, and the run was about what I anticipated. The swim had been solid enough, I heard afterwards it might have been long, so that would have suited me. In my defence I looked up the swim course last night on google maps, anticipating bends etc, but the course wasn't up on the website. A poor excuse I know, but I'm lamenting all those easy NS points I just dropped. I thought the swim course might have been better marshalled/laid out, but I would say that, wouldn't I? The rest of the race I couldn't fault, great organisation and marshalling year after year. Thanks to those from Pirhana who gave up their days racing so we could.

Need to lick my wounds for a while before Clougherhead in three weeks, last race of the season. And then start planning for next year :D

Sun Dublin City Tri 2:15:44, DQ'ed

Hands up, its my own fault, I didn't pay attention during briefing. So long story short is I turned for home one swim bouy too soon.

Swim 16:07
    I watched previous waves going off and evryone was having problems with the central dividers, which were snaking all over the place and made a straight line very difficult. I opted to stay left, close to the bank, and got a good start from the off, leading for the first 100m or so. Unfortunately I ran into weeds and a group of about four went by me. I swam out and tried to hook onto legs but they had made 10m on me. Round the bouy, and start swimming upstream. This was a matter of plugging away to get on the feet ahead, and after quite a while I managed to do so (looked like he'd been dropped by the leaders). He must have been tiring though, a couple of touches on his feet and he stopped and started breaststroking, so I passed and swam into fresh water myself. The center divider was causing some issues, you had to swim out from it or you'd be caught with its snaking. After a while it stopped, no divide in the river.
    Up to a lad in a kayak, past him, and I realise he's been hiding the next section of divider. I was on the wrong side, so swam back under to correct. I worked from here to the next bouy, and rounded it (this was an error, there was a further bouy higher up). Swam back down, lots of traffic from earlier waves but thats not unusual. Up to the exit, got hauled out, and into trans. I felt like I'd left a solid swim, but had no idea I'd shortened it. Very hard to gauge distance/time when you're pushing in a race.

T1 1:45
    No issues.

Bike 1:09:46
    I'm very pleased with the bike. Right the way around I was pushing it, keepig an eye on a higher wattage than usual. It was quite congested by the time we hit the course (final wave), but no real issues passing people. Any slower sections were uphills or technical biking, but I liked the course overall and was pleased with how I handled it.

T2 1:31
    No issues.

Run 46:36
    A few hilly drags, but I paced the run well enough. I was conscious of perhaps having overcooked the bike, so ran the first 5k cautiously enough (22:30). It helped having so many targets to pass, that helps take your mind off things. Wasn't passed by too many during the run myself, so overall I was happy with how it was going. I tried to keep up the pace on the second 5k (22:13), think the course was a little long? Anyway, going down the Kyber second time I was passed by a lad who looked like my AG or thereabouts. He put in 20m, and I was resigned to finish behind him, but once we hit the final 500m outside of the park I started reeling him in. Still in two minds regarding settling for second behind him, but with 200 to go I sprinted the rest, passing him and finishing dry retching from the effort.

Overall
    Obviously I'm not happy with having undercut the swim, but overall I had a very solid race, probably one of my best. The bike in particular was just rewards for the effort put in, and the run was about what I anticipated. The swim had been solid enough, I heard afterwards it might have been long, so that would have suited me. In my defence I looked up the swim course last night on google maps, anticipating bends etc, but the course wasn't up on the website. A poor excuse I know, but I'm lamenting all those easy NS points I just dropped. I thought the swim course might have been better marshalled/laid out, but I would say that, wouldn't I? The rest of the race I couldn't fault, great organisation and marshalling year after year. Thanks to those from Pirhana who gave up their days racing so we could.

Need to lick my wounds for a while before Clougherhead in three weeks, last race of the season. And then start planning for next year :D

You can't be the only one who cut that swim. Probarly the only one fast enough to get caught!! The middle divider wasn't there. I knew swimming up people would easily make that mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sickener but mistakes happen. At least you know your performance was good; it's not like you burnt out and plodded the run.

Mon 3,500m Masters swim

Warm up
    500 free
    6x50 free 25 fist/25 sculling 10s
    Main set
    9x200 free
    Odds 15s rest (easy-pace)
    Evens 30s rest (pace)
    10x50 free
    odds B.E 3/5 by 25m 10s rest
    Evens B.E 5/7 by 25m 15s rest
    Swim down
    400 choice easy

The Masters sessions started up again tonight, for another 40-week block. I've been neglecting swimming recently, and boy did that show tonight! Form, speed, breathing; were all terrible... you can't hold swim form if you don't swim regularly. I've been able to bluff my way through recent tris, the wetsuit will disguise all flaws, but I've noticed my swim ability dropping in general. This doesn't matter too much in races, as I've been good enough to exit high, and hold position generally during bike and run. But its not something that can continue indefinitely, and this winter needs to show a marked improvement in swim form. The aim next year is to swim with the leading pack throughout.

The Masters sessions will be tough for a couple of weeks for the wrong reasons, and tough after that for the right reasons.

Tue 40 mins easy run
    Just a very easy trot, the legs had Sundays race in them.

Wed Rest
    Should have jumped on the turbo but the day got away from me.

Thurs 60 mins cardio; Masters swim
    30 mins treadmill hill intervals, 30 mins elliptical trainer. It was raining out, and I was wearing my new super flourescent Nike%20Free%205.0%202014%20Mens%20Running%20Shoe%20Pink%20Black%20Volt_7273_LRG.jpg and I didn't want to dampen the radioactive pink colour, so I did the gym bunny thing.

Swim:
    Warm up
    10x100 free
    (25m kick,25m fist,50m swim) 15s
    Main set
    All free
    1x400m every 100m builds 45s (this took 6:10 overall)
    2x300m every 4th 25m max 30s
    3x200m breathe every 5 20s
    4x100m Dec 1-4 15s (last 100 1:24)

This was a tough little set, but a good one to remind what swimming form is. Coach pulled me up a couple of times regarding a diminishing kick when I get tired, which leads to a big drop in speed/form. Something to work on.
    I enjoyed the max 25's, you can't beat that feeling when you're swimming fast and sitting on top of the water.
    The last fast 100 I'm content with the time, as I hung a cramping foot at a 90˚angle for the last 50. Its a long way off 1:11, but its a decent starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I wear them runners for racing, same colour and all!

joey100 wrote: »
    I wear them runners for racing, same colour and all!

I'm bound to run faster in them so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Are you in Lough Key this weekend?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Are you in Lough Key this weekend?

Not this year- I've had lots of weekend races this summer and am overdue a family outing. I liked this race last year- best of luck if you're going yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Not this year- I've had lots of weekend races this summer and am overdue a family outing. I liked this race last year- best of luck if you're going yourself!

Not this year for me either but thanks. Enjoy the weekend.

Sat 15k easy run 5:30/km pace

It was lashing raining, and the kids have been getting up early going back to school all week... will I stay in bed and skip the early start? Thankfully this question was only fully pondered half way towards Arklow, so they got their swim and I started running in the rain nice and early. Once you get good and wet you don't mind, and the drizzle can be good company (alas my usual Saturday running company is off injured). Out along the coast before turning up along the backroads into the hills, and then back down to Arklow.

Afternoon was spent with the family watching Georgia Tech vs. Boston College at Lansdowne Road... a real spectacle and great entertainment, with an almighty finish that had us delighted to be sitting among the GT side of the crowd.

Tue 4,600m swim

46x100 off 1:46

I missed the Masters session last night, so got to do my own set this morning. Most of these were done with the pb, with the odd straight swim thrown in to mix it up. However, after 3k my feet were beginning to cramp so I stuck to the pb for the remainder. I wasn't sure how i'd get on, but in the end it was a pretty decent swim, no breaks and kept them all around 1:35-1:41. Tiring towards the end, but I held decent enough form and that was the main goal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

That looks like a birthday set

mossym wrote: »
    That looks like a birthday set

2 days early, I have Masters on Thursday. Guess I'm an Old Master at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Tue

46x100

:eek::eek::eek: Do you do that set often? Is it not very monotonous?

EC1000 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: Do you do that set often? Is it not very monotonous?

Never done it before (never too late to start a tradition though!).

To be honest I found it a very useful set, especially so when tiring after 3k and "chasing" better form to keep on track. It wasn't monotonous at all, oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

46x100 off 1:46

Should that 6 be a 5? Or were you still able to work out what the time you needed to push off for your 46th 100?

That'd impress me more than the actual swimming if it is the case.

Off 1:46, counting for the first few before I lost the count, and just counted seconds onto each lap time. Average "off" time was 1:46.78, so a little over!

I don't think the swim is impressive by the way. Brett Suttons birthday set for his swimmers is the infamous 100^3 set- 100 laps of 100m off 100 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I don't think the swim is impressive by the way.

I never said that it was. :pac:

Advertisement