Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Tue 4,600m swim

46x100 off 1:46

I missed the Masters session last night, so got to do my own set this morning. Most of these were done with the pb, with the odd straight swim thrown in to mix it up. However, after 3k my feet were beginning to cramp so I stuck to the pb for the remainder. I wasn't sure how i'd get on, but in the end it was a pretty decent swim, no breaks and kept them all around 1:35-1:41. Tiring towards the end, but I held decent enough form and that was the main goal.

I've done 100 x 30 a couple of times and that was starting to get boring, 46 seems like a long way away when you're at rep no. 1.

Glad to see that maths degree is coming in useful, I can only remember intervals in multiples of 5 or 10 secs ;)

I think if you can do the 100 x 100 off 100 you can call yourself a real swimmer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Tue PM 45 min run

4k steady build (4:55, 4:39, 4:32, 4:32)
    11x(1 min easy, 1 min 5k race pace)
    4 mins easy

I wore the Nike's for the first outdoor run: phenomenal shoe. I will be stocking up on supplies. The steady build felt very comfortable. For each of the 1min race pace I was holding excellent running form, very happy with how these shoes hit the ground. Fast paces were between 3:34-3:51. This was a nice run on a very warm and sweaty evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What model Nikes Kurt?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    What model Nikes Kurt?

Nike Free 5.0
    They are very light minimal runners. I'm going to have to keep an eye on them, my calf had a pointed niggle yesterday which may be from the run.

Wed 60 mins easy turbo
    What it says on the tin.

Thurs Masters swim
    Warm up
    400 free
    6x75 free 25kick25swim25sculling
    Main set
    9x200 free Dec 1-3 30s rest
    1. 60% fast 30s rest (in circa 3:30-3:20)
    2. 75% fast 45s rest (in circa 3:10-3:15)
    3. 90% fast 60s rest (in 3:03, 3:05, missed last one)
    Swim down
    10x50 25 choice/25 free 10s rest

We've a whole load of new swimmers at the Masters this year, the lanes are busier than last year. I wasn't feeling great tonight (kids have coughs), struggled to breathe. I concentrated on form, and boy do I have a lot of work to do here. The summers swim races in Tri's have disguised sinking legs, no kick, snaking, lifting head too high, etc. Its good I suppose that I can now throw out 1:30 100's at will, from minimal training, but its all coming from the shoulders and power. Bringing correct form into my swimming this winter should bring the summum bonum that has been threatened but never achieved over the past couple of swim winters.

I was meant to do a local 26k run race today, 4k Glendalough swim tomorrow, but a cold has put paid to those races, and in all likelihood I'll miss Pulse race next weekend too. So the season has ended a little early, may as well do a quick recap while its still fresh in my head.

Preseason training went well, I was working with Tunney's program and liked the structure, and the set goals each week. Most of my bike training was done on the turbo, and a lot of it was pretty intense. I made big gains on the bike this year, which I put down to a solid winter of turbo work. Running was all about calf management, meaning intense sessions were kept to a minimum, and zero hillwork or hillrunning. Long slow runs were the order of the day, and I put the lack of racing injuries this year down to discipline in running slow and easy when prescribed. My weight yo-yoed as usual, and kept on the pudgy side, which always affects the running. Nonetheless, I was content with my runs in the main. Swimming took a back seat- the goal was to improve my race times overall, and so I gave up some swim training time that was used to greater effect elsewhere. Training with the Masters group kept it interesting and fun, and I even got to do a Masters gala (underperformed!).

Racing- I hit the start of the season in decent shape, and had a solid start:
    Carlow Sprint- had a horrible swim, worked well on the bike, and had a very good run.
    Lough Cutra Oly- good swim, strong bike, but died on the grassey run.
    Killiney OW race 1.4km- only OW race this year, enjoyed the workout.
    20k run West Dublin Peaks IMRA race- fun. Very much fun.
    National Aquathlon Championships- choppy swim, decent run. 2nd in AG.
    Wicklow Harbourman Oly- strong controlled swim, very strong bike, died a death on the run. Worst run ever, went from 1st in AG leaving T2 to 5th at the end.
    Two Provinces NS champs- solid swim, solid bike, good run. Beginning to understand pacing between the disciplines a bit better.
    Loughrea Sprint- good swim, good bike, good run. Very well paced race.
    Caroline Kearney Oly- good swim, good bike, great run until I died over the last 3km!
    Tri the Hook Sprint- Nice choppy swim, a decent bike, and a good hard run.
    Dublin City Tri Oly- Solid swim, great bike, good run. I cut the swim course and so was DQ'd, a real pity as this was the best I raced all year.

Overall I had a very enjoyable race season, I packed in a load of races, trained unstructured between them, and "raced" myself fit. I think this approach worked well. As the season went on I paced the races better, and was fairly competitive in my AG for NS races (hit podium once or twice, otherwise close to podium). My NS points average was higher than usual, and its fair to say it was a successful year. Still room to improve though, always room to improve...!

Onwards and Upwards-
    I came 7th in AG in Sprint Champs, and bagged one of the 5 AG spots for ITU World AG champs, which are on in Rotterdam next September. Thats the goal to work towards, and I think having a goal race at the end of a season will work better for me. For now, back to the pool, back to the turbo, back to the dark morning runs; and start the ball rolling again.
    The biggest change is I'll be self coaching, after two years working with Dave Tunney as my coach. I'm unsure if this is the right thing to do or not, as I made big progress in the last two years under Dave's program. He was more beneficial than I had ever anticipated when I first went looking for an online coach- the man really knows his training, and provided a great service far beyond the weekly program I'd get. Dave, I want to thank you sincerely for the effort you put in, its not often in life that people surpass expectations, and you really opened my eyes to the fun and reward that can be gotten from hard work (I know you're probably smiling reading this thinking he didn't work hard enough!). The reward from the coach/benefit relationship was certainly in my favour. There are two steps I think to take now to move forward; either use what I've learned from Tunney to self-coach, or massively increase the amount of work and input on his side to hone the program further... as I say I'm unsure if self coaching is the right course, but at least I know I'm better equipped now than I was a couple of years ago.
    Two years ago I improved my swimming. This year I improved my bike. For next year, the run needs to be brought to a competitive level... if I can get the run sorted then I'll see big improvements in times and race positions. Weight, weight, weight... something I always talk about. In my favour, I massively cleaned up my diet a few months back, now just portion sizes to tackle. Swim times have been flat recently, and I'll work on bringing them down through improved position.

So thats it, 2016 in a nutshell, its over in a flash. One thing I want to mention is enjoyment- I've had one of the best summers of my life, and have been really enjoying travelling to races, meeting friends from other clubs, training with clubmates, logging and chatting on this forum... so thanks to everyone who has been a part of that. There are so many times that races don't go to plan, or injury sidelines you, or mechanicals mess up your day... that its important to recognise and appreciate the fun that comes from competing and completing- this is a fun sport! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement