Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Fair play Kurt, have one scheduled for later myself and not looking forward to it! Never done one on the road before, how did you find it? Any reason you done it on the road over a turbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

joey100 wrote: »
    Fair play Kurt, have one scheduled for later myself and not looking forward to it! Never done one on the road before, how did you find it? Any reason you done it on the road over a turbo?

Af uckit it was probably meant to be a turbo FTP alright... which likely means it will be scheduled again soon...

Anyway its done now. My turbo Wattages don't usually correspond to my road wattages, but todays was a lot closer to where I'd expect it to be (and how I'd expect to race).

Good luck this evening. They are a lot nicer once they are done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

FTP test just sent a shiver down my spine. Nice work.

Why did you do it outside? Ignore that, just saw Joey asked the same thing :D

I didn't mean a turbo one would be better, probably not, because you will be racing on the road and not on a turbo! Was just curious if there was a reason you picked road over turbo. I'd probably struggle to find a road quiet enough and long enough to do one on around me.

Hope the calf held up ok through it. I'm sitting in work trying to get into the hurt zone for it, will be tough but if the number rises it's all worth it.

pgibbo wrote: »
    FTP test just sent a shiver down my spine. Nice work.

Why did you do it outside? Ignore that, just saw Joey asked the same thing :D

A shiver has gone down my spine too...

Should have done it on the turbo:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

That's brilliant. I'm sorry but in a cruel way that made me laugh. :-)

That's brilliant. I'm sorry but in a cruel way that made me laugh. :-)

I've since been told to mix it up a bit, and compare them. Makes sense!

Wed 4.6k easy jog

A great November dusk evening for running through fallen leaves in the forest... pity my calf was bothering me, getting tight, then forgotten about, and the pace crept up... until it made itself known again. I kept this slow, and came home with my tail between my legs. Easy runs for a while, will probably ditch any Dec 10k attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

I'd the difference between the 5 & 20 numbers normal for you?

RJM85 wrote: »
    I'd the difference between the 5 & 20 numbers normal for you?

FTP Test|5min av W|20 min av W|turbo/road
    Jan 15|315|281|turbo
    Feb 15|330|305|turbo
    Jun 15|352|bailed after 4 mins over 330|turbo
    Nov 15|301|284|road

That's my FTP history, so I'd say its a little closer than normal. Hard to tell with a road FTP though, a lot more variables. But, I've struggled to stay over 250W av during 2015 races, so I'm happy enough with the road FTP figures.

• Advertisement

The kids were asking me earlier, what was the Web Summit about? I told them it was mostly a bunch of techies hoping to finance apps to solve problems that you didn't even know you had- First World Problems. "Whats a First World Problem dad?", so (animated, excited voice) it's lunchtime, you open your box, oh no its stale carrot sandwiches again!.. if only there was a way to let dad know the lunch you really want... download our app at MyLunchBox.ie and you can synch with dad's grocery list! Hey Mom, don't forget its treat day Friday, hope you packed my Snickers... remind her at MyLunchbox.ie!! Cathy had couscous and everyone likes her so why can't I have couscous?... Whinge about it at MyLunchbox.ie!!! Etc etc, got a few belly laughs so all was good.

Just googled it and came across MyLunchBox.com... Mismatched Containers? Messy Storage? Chaos in the Fridge? You need MyLunchBox.com!!!

There is a War coming.

Meanwhile all I did today was 20min calf rolling- its feeling better, I have a 30min run TT tomorrow which I will not do; eyes on the prize which is 6+ months away. 45 years to learn discipline, not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I was just getting ready to google MyLunchBox.com. ;):D

Fri 2,000m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 as 15front scull, 35 easy (narrow sweep) + 10sec
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy + 15sec
    4x50 as 15 mid scull, 35 easy + 10sec
    4x50 as 15 rear scull, 35 easy + 10sec
    100sw,200p

Found this a strange session, I've never done mid or rear sculling before. It was a useful exercise, and the rear scull in particular showed up my weak triceps. The fast 25's after each were interesting too, as the scull would feed into your stroke. I found myself doing s-pulls, and rotating a bit more. Fast 25's in 18-16s, and the fastest ones came after the mid scull.

Sat 1km jog

The plan was a two hour bike, but I woke at 5am to the sound of lashing rain, and my partner said he was ditching if it was lashing rain- suited me too as I have a cold. After a busy day in the office I finally got out for a run at 4:30pm, great evening light and clear breeze to run in... however the calf was tighter than I'd like it to be so I turned back for home. Frustrating, but a weeks frustration in November beats a months frustration in May.

Sun Off

This has been a very poor week for training, but I don't mind at all. Today I took photos for 4 hours at the Asgard Fab Fun Gala, the first in our long-term plan to host a regular gala on the calendar. Under 11's only today, and only local Wicklow and Bray clubs, but it was a hoot. So much joy and fun from these competitive little fish, many of them doing their first ever gala. It all went like clockwork, and the enthusiasm during the whole event is worth a weeks training anyway :)

Calf is better, back to the grift from tomorrow, bring it on.

Lots of girls on the forum very hot and bothered over the past while, and its getting to be a royal pain in the ass. Could be for lots of reasons, but just in case its the obvious one, here's some nice music dat doth sooth the wild beast ;)

Mon 6k run 4:53/km pace av; 60 mins Masters swim

Decent run in a windswept November forest, the trees succumbing to the inevitable. Its been a good autumn for colour, but time marches on... I had dull but obvious calf pain throughout, but not enough to bail. Running with a proper gait and higher turnover definitely helped, and I've a feeling this injury will be manageable in the short term.

Later into the pool for an hour of catch and pull technique work, and then tumble work. Both were extremely useful. We did a couple of lengths with exaggerated hand entry (think Kenneth Williams hands into the water), and something clicked about proper pull after that. Then lots of tumbles, practice to get it right, and then 8 lengths of "California Rolls", which are tumble turns every 6 strokes. Nightmare to look at, but they are useful for whipping your legs over quickly.

I'll see your Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson (barf and barf) and raise you Elton John. ;)

(Btw, I haven't a clue about the royal pain in your patootie you reference. :confused: I guess I'm out of the loop because I just kept swimming... :D)

^ Nice wig, I might get one ;)

Tue Turbo FTP 55 mins

10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    5min TT (352W, 87 rpm)
    10 easy
    20min TT (297W, 79 rpm)
    5 easy

This was the hardest FTP I've ever done. From the graph below, it was a bit of a shambles (I was aiming to hold 310+ steady for the 20 mins). I was conscious that the 5min TT needed an absolute flogging, and pushed it as hard as I could, holding over 350W. The ten minute easy couldn't come soon enough.

Then into the 20min TT. All was well until 2 mins in, when I started to tire. By four minutes I was considering quitting, and promised myself if I made it to five mins I could end. Then 6 mins became the lie... and I can relive the next 40 secs battle to make it to a third of the way... Suffice to say the rest of the test was a similar battle of wills. I've no idea how I made it to the end, but I did. I've held a higher 20min wattage before, (albeit not after such a high 5 min wattage), but this was the hardest I've ever gone on the bike. And it was much harder than last weeks road test, so I'm glad it was repeated.

a1u6nc.png

Well done Kurt. They are some good numbers. I've been there with the trying to convince yourself you will see how u feel at 5 mins, 8 mins,10 mins. only so many times you can fool the body though! I tried starting a bit lower than planned for the first 2/3 mins of my one this time and then build into it. Seemed to work better from a pacing point of view anyway, got to around 12 mins before the lies to myself started.

I wouldn't worry about holding a 20 min effort higher before, the idea of this is to see what you could hold over 1hr rather than 20 mins. If you used the higher 20 min effort the sessions that are coming would kill you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What weight are you at now?

What weight are you at now?

87.7kg- why do you ask? (I guess it explains why slow on roads?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    87.7kg- why do you ask? (I guess it explains why slow on roads?)

Just asking from a w/pkg perspective. Are you using .95 or .925 as your multiplier?

It would highlight to me why you would not do so well on a lumpy/hilly course. Course selection will be important for you next year, that or a dose of the trots:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just asking from a w/pkg perspective. Are you using .95 or .925 as your multiplier?

It would highlight to me why you would not do so well on a lumpy/hilly course. Course selection will be important for you next year, that or a dose of the trots:)

Height. Kurt is tall.He uses 0.92 as his multipler.

Yes weight is an issue all right, although I'm starting this block from a better position. I was around 93kg this time last year and raced the season around 85-88kg so fairly sure I'll drop under 85 from January and would hope to race closer to 82kg. Lots of cod liver oil in my beer should do it ;)

Fairly sure we used a 92.5% multiplier last year. I'd be more confident of using a 95% for training based on today's test.

tunney wrote: »
    Height. Kurt is tall.He uses 0.92 as his multipler.

I stand corrected! 92% it is then

wed 28 min easy run

Easy, very pleasant jog on local roads. Calf felt a little tight after 20 mins, changing gait to a better posture with higher turnover gave an immediate benefit.

Currently on my second visit to dublin in a day, the first for business, the second for shopping. I'm in dundrum waiting outside women's clothes shops while missy shops, if anyone as a spare bullet just shoot me.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »

Currently on my second visit to dublin in a day, the first for business, the second for shopping. I'm in dundrum waiting outside women's clothes shops while missy shops, if anyone as a spare bullet just shoot me.

Please tell me Mrs. Godel is in that women's shop with missy, and missy is not in there making her own unsupervised clothing choices. :eek:

^She was let loose, dad sat outside the stores while mom was at a wimmins conference. Scylla and Charybdis :)

Fri 2,900m swim; 8.41km run

200sw 200p 100k
    100p 1:34
    200sw 3:07
    300p 5:03
    400sw 6:20
    400p 7:11
    300sw 4:59
    200p 3:25
    100sw 1:30
    400m swim down

I missed the Masters crossfit last night, so got in a swim today. Form felt good, without pushing anything too much. My catch and pull are getting better.

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

Run:
    10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    5x(2 hard, 2 easy)
    5 easy

Average pace for each 2min hard: 3:59, 4:10, 3:39, 3:58, 3:46 (min/km)

My calf felt much better today, so I decided to chance this run. If I'm honest, I held back slightly on the hard pace, as I don't want to do any damage. But these were tough enough paces anyway, for where I'm at. Happy with how this run turned out, and happier still there is no damage.

• Advertisement

Sat 15.85k easy run @ 5:35 pace

A wet and cold morning to greet the too-early alarm clock. I would hladly have gone back to sleep but for the kids had an early swim :) met up with K and we kept everything very slow and very flat, around the coastal roads of Arklow. Running in the rain is enjoyable, and we got to scout out a few nice swimming locations- apparently there's a group that still have sea sessions here, so I might look into them.
    The important thing was the run felt easy and my calf felt good. Much of the conversation was spent discussing the benefits of slow runs slow, hard runs hard. We both ténd to do slow runs hard, with predictable results. Sometimes two heads are better than one.

Advertisement