Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Sun 10k easy run @ 5:13 pace

An early club text told me the planned spin was cancelled due to high winds, and the day sort of got away from me. Before I knew it I was putting away DIY tools and it getting dark outside. A quick change, and a very pleasant 10k run in the forest. Glad I got something done today. Also, I finally got my HR strap functioning, something El Coachio has been on my case about for ages. A brand new set of numbers to ponder- tonight was kept around 145-155 bpm, and felt easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You'd better make a new column for that chart, another line for that graph, and squeeze an extra wedge into that pie!!! Numbers!!!! ;):D

Katie Ledecky, Katie Ledecky, Katie Ledecky!!!

Make sure you read about her 400 IM! Holy cow!!! And looking at the video, it looks like she was in 5th after the breaststroke and not 4th, like the article says, which makes her freestye leg even more impressive. What a closer she is. And faster free split than the men? Wow. My hero. :)

http://reachforthewall.com/2015/11/13/in-400-im-a-glimpse-at-katie-ledeckys-future/

Wow that is the way to close out a 400IM... she just ran out of pool but what a finish! Thanks for posting :)

Mon Masters swim with 400mTT

400 warmup
    10*50 as (25k, 25sw; 10s)
    400mTT (5:48)
    10*75 (25 each BE3,5,7; 10s)

Better, more controlled, but more control needed. Still went out a little too fast (1:20 for first 100m), and died between 250-350m, but all that is to be expected. Overall this felt more comfortable than usual TT's, swimming within myself rather than swimming in lactate. I had targeted 1:27/100m av pace beforehand, knew I would go off faster than this but wanted to keep the first 100m over 1:20, so in that sense I hit the target. Its a slight PB too, by a couple of seconds, so I should be happy... and yet I know I left something out there. Could have gone under 5:45 tonight. Never happy ;)

A look at the Garmin scores confirms something I've inherently believed: I'm a lot quicker with a longer stroke, and slow down with a higher cadence. Further battles ahead with El Coachio ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Should that include the caveat that you're faster *in the pool* with a longer stroke?

RJM85 wrote: »
    Should that include the caveat that you're faster *in the pool* with a longer stroke?

Horses for courses:
    Flat open water I can hold my own a lá the pool;
    Choppy anti-tide afterwards-whinging-beginners-berate-marshalls-for-letting-swim-go-ahead I will destroy 99% of the field;
    Downstream or with-tide flow with wetsuit, I get handed my ass.

It's all good fun!

(Honest answer without joking- a long, strong, glide/catch/pull gets more bang for buck than choppy high cadence turnover)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Horses for courses:
    (Honest answer without joking- a long, strong, glide/catch/pull gets more bang for buck than choppy high cadence turnover)

maybe for you Kurt but i dont think this applies to everyone (i am not suggesting that you say it does either).

How do you think your pool speed and long style transfers to open water? i have the perception from looking at your log intermittently that your pool swim times are quite good, a bit faster than me i think, but then you dont race as fast i would expect you to (from what limited bits i garner from your log)

MD1983 wrote: »
    maybe for you Kurt but i dont think this applies to everyone (i am not suggesting that you say it does either).

This log is an offence-free zone, all advice is taken in good faith (without the need for caveats :)) No it doesn't apply to everyone, or even to most, I'd say. My current tri coach has told me higher cadence (classic choppy Tri style) is the way to go, as did a previous tri-swimmer coach. My current swim coach is encouraging a longer stroke with a slight reach/glide, based on what he sees at the pool, and its getting me faster in the pool, both for short and long stuff (recent 1,500mTT done at 1:34/100m pace).
    MD1983 wrote: »
    How do you think your pool speed and long style transfers to open water? i have the perception from looking at your log intermittently that your pool swim times are quite good, a bit faster than me i think, but then you dont race as fast i would expect you to (from what limited bits i garner from your log)

The obvious difference is the wall, so perhaps I'm getting large benefit from it (either a strong kick off, or a slight rest). But I don't think my kick off is particularly strong, and I (mostly) tumble now so any rest is limited. I don't draft in the pool (but obviously do in races). As mentioned above I outperform in choppy seas, do ok in flat lakes, and underperform in downstream or withtide races. This suggests to me that I've good upper body strength for swimming, with poor streamline- I can fight into the water quite well, but struggle to work with it. So I've to work more on position and rotation, something I've been doing lately in the pool.

On the long style specifically- the aim is to swim long, with a good reach, slight glide on entry, and solid backend exit. Getting more distance per stroke. If I think back over last seasons OW races, the times I struggled was when I had a higher cadence/shorter stroke. The times I pushed on in races was when I consciously lengthened the stroke. Obviously there will be times when choppy conditions call for greater cadence, but in general using my length has served me well. The proof will be next seasons races- I agree that OW performances to date haven't mirrored what my pool times would suggest.

I have a lot of faith in my current swim coach- he is superb on the deck, and the feedback is precise. If my 100-400m pool times were getting quicker, but longer pool stuff static, I'd question the use in what I'm currently doing. But the fact that my 400-1,500m pool times are improving so much, is proof enough for me that a lengthened stroke is getting better results.

Tue 45min turbo; 1,800m swim

10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    5x(3 110-120%, 2 easy)
    5 easy

110-120% is 297-324W. Each 3min came in: (W, rpm)
    319, 80
    313, 88
    305, 87
    317, 81
    314, 81

It feels easier spinning a lower cadence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swim:
    200sw 200k
    10x50pb as 25 fist, 25sw
    5x100pb as 25fs, 75sw
    4x50 in 40s, 15s rest
    200pb easypeasy

• Advertisement

The obvious difference is the wall, so perhaps I'm getting large benefit from it (either a strong kick off, or a slight rest). But I don't think my kick off is particularly strong, and I (mostly) tumble now so any rest is limited. I don't draft in the pool (but obviously do in races). As mentioned above I outperform in choppy seas, do ok in flat lakes, and underperform in downstream or withtide races. This suggests to me that I've good upper body strength for swimming, with poor streamline- I can fight into the water quite well, but struggle to work with it. So I've to work more on position and rotation, something I've been doing lately in the pool.

Just my 2 cents...speaking in very brief, general terms....and assuming your "outperform/underperform" assessment is based on how you "perform" compared to the other swimmers in the water with you: a wetsuit is an equalizer....a downstream/with tide race further erodes the advantage a better swimmer would have....and a choppy sea would play to the strength of a stronger swimmer.

Two more things - even tumble turning allows you a nice rest....and if you want to get better at OW swimming, then you need to OW swim more. As a very wise ecoli once told me, there is no substitute for specificity. I think the spirit of that message applies here. Sometimes it's just that simple. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents...speaking in very brief, general terms....and assuming your "outperform/underperform" assessment is based on how you "perform" compared to the other swimmers in the water with you: a wetsuit is an equalizer....a downstream/with tide race further erodes the advantage a better swimmer would have....and a choppy sea would play to the strength of a stronger swimmer.

Very true, I've often thought on the wetsuit being a factor which normalizes abilities. The one downstream only race I've done had everyone exiting in a very tight range. During Athy this year (3km river up/down/up/down) I was left standing on the downstream, but could make up ground going up. But the way I look at it (at all swimming in fact) is that if people are going faster than me going downstream then there is a technique I need to learn to swim downstream faster.
    Two more things - even tumble turning allows you a nice rest....and if you want to get better at OW swimming, then you need to OW swim more. As a very wise ecoli once told me, there is no substitute for specificity. I think the spirit of that message applies here.

For some reason I've shut up shop until April in the OW- yet there are still several locals swimming around Arklow year round. This needs to be addressed.
    Sometimes it's just that simple. ;)

Sage advice ;)

Wed 40mins easy run (143HR av)

I'm still getting used to the HRM. The first 2km of this run I struggled to keep the HR under 160, even though the pace was no faster than the rest, just a jog really. Anyway, it then went down and I kept it under 145. 5:35min/km for 7.17k.

But those numbers do no justice to a swirling dusk evening run on wet leaves and windfallen branches after the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Kurt_Godel wrote:
    I'm still getting used to the HRM. The first 2km of this run I struggled to keep the HR under 160, even though the pace was no faster than the rest, just a jog really. Anyway, it then went down and I kept it under 145. 5:35min/km for 7.17k.

Same happens me. For the first 10 min I'm up at 170bpm even when just easing into it. Thought it was just my strap acting up

Thurs 60min easy turbo

I couldn't get over this spin, kept it easy, 166W average, but the HR was displaying a steady 55-60... ok it was easy effort but surely it should have been a lot higher? Put in a little more effort and it only went up to around 65....???

Just looked on Garmin Connect and realised I had been looking at the cadence figures on the display, as HR was 110bpm... ;)

Thurs pm 2,350m Masters swim

400 free
    6*75 choice 25 kick, 25 fist, 25 swim 10s rest
    Main set
    5*100 free on 1:40
    60 sit ups
    4*100 free on 1:35
    60 sit ups
    3*100 free on 1:30
    30 sit ups
    2*100 free on 1:25
    30 sit ups
    1*100 free (under 1:20)

Pretty tough session tonight, with a nice structure to it (distance decreases as pace increases). I was swimming quite well, every 100 was in between 1:25-1:20, except the last, where I bust a gut to just scrape in 1:19.

Fri 8.56k run with intervals

15 easy
    5x(2 hard, 1.5 easy)
    5 easy

The 2min hard segments were (av pace, av HR):
    3:55, 170
    3:30, 169
    3:52, 169
    3:46, 171
    3:30, 168

On an undulating, gusty course, I smfelt a moment which took me back years. Gasping for breath, heart pumping, sweat and spittle- reminded me of a particular training run when I was a teenager. Nothing spectacular about that run (done on Barton road in Dundrum with a group from DSDRC), but it was a hard effort moment in Winter that stamped its immediacy in my memory. Something released that memory by running hard today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fri 8.56k run with intervals

15 easy
    5x(2 hard, 1.5 easy)
    5 easy

The 2min hard segments were (av pace, av HR):
    3:55, 170
    3:30, 169
    3:52, 169
    3:46, 171
    3:30, 168

On an undulating, gusty course, I smfelt a moment which took me back years. Gasping for breath, heart pumping, sweat and spittle- reminded me of a particular training run when I was a teenager. Nothing spectacular about that run (done on Barton road in Dundrum with a group from DSDRC), but it was a hard effort moment in Winter that stamped its immediacy in my memory. Something released that memory by running hard today.

Did that running session happy three weeks before a humiliation in a running race? That could be the link for you.

tunney wrote: »
    Did that running session happy three weeks before a humiliation in a running race? That could be the link for you.

This was back in the Middle ages, way before the Garmin era. Back then I relied on honesty to know how well a competitor was training. Now I can just look on Garmin Connect and smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

This was back in the Middle ages, way before the Garmin era. Back then I relied on honesty to know how well a competitor was training. Now I can just look on Garmin Connect and smile :)

You know I use a Tomtom and an SRM as well as a garmin and combine the three in Trainingpeaks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You know I use a Tomtom and an SRM as well as a garmin and combine the three in Trainingpeaks?

lol....I thought that might be the response :D

Didn't know that!

I have a fitbit and a Polar and a Nike+ that I don't use either.

Fri pm 2,900m swim

2x50sw,2x50p,2x50p
    4x50 fast on 60
    400sw,4x100B+B + 15s
    300sw,3x100B+B + 15s
    200sw,2x100B+B + 15s
    100sw,100B+B + 15s
    4x50 fast on 60
    200 choice easy

A salvaged headlamp strap was tonights weapon of choice to bind the legs. Thus far I've had bike tubes, number belts, an old tshirt, electrical cord, and rubber tubing from a broken tether. I'm sure there's an expensive branded Triathlete band somewhere for sale.

Sat 19k easy run @ 5:11 av pace

A nice early run with K, out towards Brittas Bay and back to Arklow. We kept the pace down, threw in a few quicker km's towards the end, and generally chatted and solved the worlds problems on a cold bright morning.

Sun 2:30 turbo

Long and boring. It was a great morning to be out, but I was working on swim club stuff all weekend, and this morning/afternoon are taken up with that. A long boring turbo is endured rather than enjoyed, and leads to a cranky mood.

Summer smiles :)

Weekly Summary w/e 22nd Nov|Session|Comment
    Monday|2,150m Masters swim|400mTT in 5:48 (PB)
    Tuesday|45min turbo; 2,000m swim| Turbo 5*3min 305-319W
    Wednesday|7.17k easy run| 5:35pace
    Thursday|60min easy turbo; 2,350m Masters swim|sets of 100's, all in under 1:25
    Friday|8.56k run; 2,900m swim|5*2min hard run, felt tough; B&B swim
    Saturday|19k run|5:11 pace good run with K, enjoyable
    Sunday|2:30 turbo|161W av, 112bpm. Boring and endured
    Weekly km |Swim 9.4k Bike 105k Run 34.9k Total time 10:56|Can't complain, decent week. 400mTT PB, and no running issues

Mon 5.18k easy run; 2,750m Masters swim

I've been working very hard recently- taken on way too much. The weekend was a blur of paperwork, today was a nightmare dealing with the twin evils of Governmental bureaucracy and self-entitled tech support... 8 hours wasted to tick a box via "technology", when a pencil would have sufficed. So thats the background to todays training.

Run:
    Very cold, very frosty, a route I would otherwise have enjoyed, failed to lift the pending work mood. But it did make it somewhat more bearable.

Swim:
    Again, didn't feel like going, but am glad I did now. Most of the session was 3rd in a train so there was a strong draft. No matter, I worked on form and streamline, and on tumbles in a train. Didn't take anyones eyes out so thats a bonus :)

6*75 as (50sw25k; 25sw50k; 75k; repeat)
    8*200 alternate on 3:00, 3:30
    10*50 as (25 backward fly, 25sw)
    200 easy

backward fly- that was a new one on me. Fun, but I got half the pool up my nose.

Tue 55 min turbo

10 easy
    5x(4 110-120%, 2 easy)
    5x(30sec max, 30sec easy)
    5 easy

I found this extremely hard. Didn't sleep well last night, overworked, feel a cold coming on... the 5*4min hard came in (average W, HR);

285, 164
    261, 165
    298, 168
    296, 169
    290, 170

Those wattages read very low for the perceived effort, but the HR are a lot higher than usual on the bike.

Wed 8k easy run 5:13 pace

I felt a lot easier on this run than I anticipated. The HR was way down and I was plodding along nicely at the start. Still, a bad nights sleep, a cold in the house, and work stress all combined to leave me content I got out at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That sounds all so familiar!!!!

Advertisement