Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Thurs 60 mins easy turbo.

Boring, boring. Feel like sh*t and its grey and miserable mid-November. I remember fondly the snow-covered Thanksgiving meals of yore and wonder why I ever left the States. Could have been President Godel by now.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    That sounds all so familiar!!!!

Crappy time of year P, loads are down with the same bug. I had to skip swim training tonight, pity as it would have cheered me up. One-leg kicks, burpees, backwards fly, start jumps; all the things that give me a smile knowing Tunney will read this log ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Backwards fly...jaysus. Is that actual back fly or a version of double-arm backstroke? Sounds horrendous either way. Sure you'd have water up the snoz the whole time :pac:

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Backwards fly...jaysus. Is that actual back fly or a version of double-arm backstroke? Sounds horrendous either way. Sure you'd have water up the snoz the whole time :pac:

We were to do it with a dolphin kick so I guess its closer to an inverted fly... main purpose I think is to open the shoulders and get good rotation and drive from them. And yes, half the pool goes up your nose!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt_Godel wrote: »

Boring, boring. Feel like sh*t and its grey and miserable mid-November. I remember fondly the snow-covered Thanksgiving meals of yore and wonder why I ever left the States.

Pecan piiiiiiiiiiiie. ;)
    Could have been President Godel by now.

Good god, you got that right!

Mon 45 mins easy turbo; 3,000m Masters swim

Felt crap over the weekend, a bug in the house. Feeling a bit better tonight so chanced the swim.

200 easy
    6*75 as (25k, 25 fist, 25 swim, 15s)
    Main Set:
    (2*100 on 1:35
    2*100 on 1:30
    2*100 on 1:25
    2 mins rest)
    Repeat 3 times
    6*50 as 25 brst, 25sw with last 20 MAX
    200 easy

Led off the first set, a little too fast as first 100 under 1:25. Last 100 was in 1:26, pretty happy as its a 5:51 400 joined onto a 3:10 200. Swapped order for the next two so had a draft.

• Advertisement

TUE 11k easy run

Nice and easy run around the night streets of Arklow. I'm going to have to bombproof my legs over the winter, if I want to escape the usual summer calf injuries. Two ways to do that- stress and adapt, or slow winter miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'm going to have to bombproof my legs over the winter, if I want to escape the usual summer calf injuries. Two ways to do that- stress and adapt, or slow winter miles.

There's also taking sensible rest and general maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    There's also taking sensible rest and general maintenance.

Spoken like a man with youth on his side.

tunney wrote: »

Needs more high fives at the end, but otherwise it looks awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Spoken like a man with youth on his side.

Spoken from a man who was in an absolute crock this year, because I neglected those two things. Convinced I was toughening myself up, I pigheadedly persisted with training, when I really shouldn't have.

zico10 wrote: »
    Spoken from a man who was in an absolute crock this year, because I neglected those two things. Convinced I was toughening myself up, I pigheadedly persisted with training, when I really shouldn't have.

Ha, you are young Padwan and will learn...;)

To your list could also be added sleep, diet, time management, weight, etc etc. I don't doubt for an instant that rest and maintenance have a large part to play in staying injury free- my point is more that I'll choose lots of long and slow to improve the running legs. Over the "hard and adapt" that I prefer, but leaves me run-injured. Hard intervals on bike and pool will suffice in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

With all this talk of running, Race is only little over a week away now, how you feeling for it? Regretting the bet with Tunney or you think you have him????

joey100 wrote: »
    With all this talk of running, Race is only little over a week away now, how you feeling for it? Regretting the bet with Tunney or you think you have him????

He has until midnight tonight to pull out with grace. ;)

Wed 10k run 4:55/km pace

Running against the dying light, I felt good so this was a little faster than expected. I'll roll and massage tonight, and run short and easy tomorrow- the aim is to see what can be put in while not coming within an asses roar of injury.

(Dear Diary)
    I got some much anticipated business news today, something that has been stressing me out for ages (and has been worked on feverishly every day for the past two years), and can now be put to bed with a tuck and a kiss. Back in Sept 2009 I was depressed and going nowhere in Ireland. I decided to do something about it, I knew it would take a lot of work and a long time, I put in a huge amount of work to change career paths late in life... the pieces have finally fallen into place today. Peter K asked me on one of those "get to know you" threads a while back, what have you learned in Tri that you could apply to your life. I didn't know how to answer it back then, but have often thought on it since. Hard work gets its own reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Good for you :)

Do you ever see donothoponpop? Is he still around? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »

Last seen weighed down with finishers medals, puny shouldered and floundering in a sea of good intentions, I threw him a breeze block for comfort. Naive little do-gooder, limp-Boards-membered gratifist.

But thanks for asking ;)

<Snip> Personal abuse, even if they're not on boards anymore, is not allowed

I was rather sweet on him, to be honest. Sure, my first encounter with him was steeped in a mild serving of critical tones, but I always thought of him as lyrical and Grinch-like in an adorable, Dr. Seuss kind of way. Wasn't there a photo of him all sprawled out on a vehicle looking quite fit and young after some Jingle Bell Dash a few years back? <sigh> ;)

• Advertisement

I was rather sweet on him, to be honest. Sure, my first encounter with him was steeped in a mild serving of critical tones, but I always thought of him as lyrical and Grinch-like in an adorable, Dr. Seuss kind of way. Wasn't there a photo of him all sprawled out on a vehicle looking quite fit and young after some Jingle Bell Dash a few years back? <sigh> ;)

Quick someone throw some cold water on her.

Quick someone throw some cold water on her.

(I'm betting a certain someone digs up that sprawled photo. ;):D)

Mod Tunney banned for a month /Mod

Don't think I ever actually banned you? If I did, I did so with a satisfied grin on my face :D

Thurs 45 min easy turbo; 31min run @ 5:29/km pace

Very wet down here, so much that a lot of roads have flooded. I got word late in the day we wouldn't be able to drive the kids to Arklow on the roads, and so my intended streetlamp run was dashed. I grabbed my gear and headed out the local roads. It was 4:30 and already very dark, so the first headtorch run of the year. Kept the pace nice and gentle, legs felt good.

Can't see any difference myself, Dory?! ;)
    Mon 45 mins easy turbo; 3,000m Masters swim

Felt crap over the weekend, a bug in the house. Feeling a bit better tonight so chanced the swim.

200 easy
    6*75 as (25k, 25 fist, 25 swim, 15s)
    Main Set:
    (2*100 on 1:35
    2*100 on 1:30
    2*100 on 1:25
    2 mins rest)
    Repeat 3 times
    6*50 as 25 brst, 25sw with last 20 MAX
    200 easy

Led off the first set, a little too fast as first 100 under 1:25. Last 100 was in 1:26, pretty happy as its a 5:51 400 joined onto a 3:10 200. Swapped order for the next two so had a draft.
    Fri 3 miles and 4 miles

/Aft/ Whence the younglings being departed to Pictoriums afar, mine eyes did fall on my beloved, and thoughts of afternoon delights to be had. Alas, my wooings fell on deaf ears, so her accompanym'nt to deciduous jogging was I, for three of His Majesties own miles. Discourse was the only course served, inter alia.

/Moontime/ Girded with covering fabrics, and a Cyclopean Prometheus abrim my nog, into the dark grasses of Annagh to venture. A steady march up yon hill, oft dowsing my glow, the better to drink in views afar. Some faster motion once ridgeward, under a lunar orb. Pitted and surprizeful was the ground, and better than not, the excursion. A tonic of four miles.

Must reread Mason&Dixon...

Assignment:

Next log has to be in limerick form. Points given for wit, rhythm, and rhyme-ability. Points deducted if it doesn't make me laugh.

- Prof. Dory

Fri 10k easy run 5:26 av pace

A slow runner fond of libation
    got faster while upping consumption
    convert last nights beers
    to gases which steers
    The fart-fueled go-faster rear-engine

Fri 10k easy run 5:26 av pace

A slow runner fond of libation
    got faster while upping consumption
    convert last nights beers
    to gases which steers
    The fart-fueled go-faster rear-engine

<ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!>

We have a winner!!! You have achieved "laugh out loud" status with that hilarious bit of potty humor!! Well done you!!! :D

<ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!>

We have a winner!!! You have achieved "laugh out loud" status with that hilarious bit of potty humor!! Well done you!!! :D

Winner? And there was me thinking we had a good thing going that might brighten these dark winter months...

Oh well, back to 5*100(ty67/kph) in a Rorschach narrator voice...

• Advertisement

Winner? And there was me thinking we had a good thing going that might brighten these dark winter months...

Oh well, back to 5*100(ty67/kph) in a Rorschach narrator voice...

Oh, we can do fun stuff like this periodically to mix it up and brighten these winter days - I'm game. "Winner" was in the spirit of you completed the assignment in champion form. You get an A. :)

Advertisement