Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Miles, Summer Smiles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Is that slogger jogger who's doing Rotterdam? And I'm glad you're glad to be back at the pool!!! :)

One and the same. He's looking to get that sub3 off his back, and looks in very good form to do so!

Tue 30mins easy running 5:51/km pace
    Average HR 149, closer to where it should be.

Wed 2,050m swim
    1,000pb 1:43/100 pace
    10*100 alt swim/pb off 1:45/1:50 (in 1:33-1:47)
    These didn't feel great, fighting the water, and nothing done fast (purposefully for experiment)

Thurs 34min easy run 5:36 pace; Masters swim
    Ran this easy by feel, didn't look at the watch. It felt much better than recent, and the watch numbers concurred afterwards (HR 153 av)

Swim/crossfit:
    Warm up
    400 choice
    10x75 free/10 sit ups/10 press ups/ 30s plank 20s rest
    Main set
    2x100 free on 1:30/ 1:45
    30 squats/ 15 Burpees

This was tough- the first time stressing the body in a while. The 10x75 set was tough enough to be the main set, and indeed I could only get in one rep before my hamstrings complained after the squats. The 2x100 were in 1:24, 1:32. Not great but we're only starting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

thanks for the vote of confidence.
    Recced Annagh hill again yesterday. Looking well and have organised to remove some of the tree obstacles that were blocking the descent. Shaping up well for early March.

Tri friends welcome to come along. https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1332

Sat 10.63k easy run 5:56/km

Kept it flat and slow, ran around Arklow at dawn. There was a chap swimming in the sea, no wetsuit or cap. Food for thought!

Sun 1:20 turbo 220W av; 9.16k easy run

Roads were frosty this morning so I skipped the scheduled long spin in favour of something on the turbo.

3*(10min easy, 5 mins steady, 5 mins steadier)
    175W, 200W, 260W
    208, 243, 277
    200, 255, 312
    5*20s 428W+, 40s easy
    5 mins easy

PM 9.16k easy run 5:40/km pace, HR 154av

A nice dusk run through the forests and then home, chasing the setting sun. This felt better than the past week, and the HR was closer to where it should be.

Mon 6.47k Hill run; 3,200m Master swim

The run was early, up around the trails, brashings, and fields of a snowy Hillbrook. Great fun. The pace was nothing to write home about but the views... a steely cold vista of snowcloud-capped hills and valleys. The sort of run that stays with you and is training for the soul.

Swim:
    200 warm up
    200 free fist with pull buoy
    4x50 free kick 15s rest
    Main set
    12x200 free on 3:30 (every 3rd 200m is max on 4:30)
    200m cool down

I'm still finding it heavy going in the water, but so is everyone else after the Xmas break. The main set was tough, but the timing was good. I need to be swimming fast again (any way that I can), to find good form. So the steady 200's were in around 3:05-3:10, at a cruising pace that searched to set up the right stroke for the Max... each of these came in 2:54-2:59. Not great, but they were an education. The last one was in 2:55 with a draft- probably the best form though, and something learned from it.

• Advertisement

Tue 40 min turbo

5 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    10x(30sec hard, 30sec easy)
    5 easy
    10x(30sec hard, 30sec easy)
    5 easy

This was tough, counting down the seconds for each 30s hard. The HR graph shows a nice progression :)

33ubr76.jpg

Wed 3,100m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    8x100 as 25 fist, 75 cruise + 10-15sec
    4x50 as 25 fs, 25 sw + 10sec
    8x50 mod + 10sec (in 42-45)
    4x50 as 25 rs, 25 sw + 10sec
    4x200 alt sw/p steady + 15sec (in 3:14-3:17)
    4x50 choice easy

After watching the Gerry Rodriguez videos for a couple of hours last night, I was eager to put of the advice into practice. Most of this session was spent focusing on taut form, faster catch and pull, and BE2. It remains to see what will come of it, but while swimming with this form I remembered being told to swim through a tube of smarties a couple of years ago by someone or other. The good advice gets burned to the brain...

PM 10.32k Hillbrook loop run 5:16/km av pace

A nice evening for this staple loop, felt a bit sluggish starting off, but soon got into it and was inadvertantly upping the pace. Kept it down in the end, and was happy to see the HR back to a normal range. 6*(20s build, 30s easy) thrown in for good measure, which helped the posture and gait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Do you get to eat the smarties first???? :D

Although I haven;t watched all the videos in the series yet those I have watched are excellent. He's a very engaging character and gets his point across really well. I love his KISS approach.

Thurs 61min turbo; 6k run; Masters swim

Turbo:
    Easy spinning (188W av), with 5*20s bursts.

Run:
    Easy trot around Arklow (5:29/km av), killing time while the kids were swimming.

Swim:
    Warm up
    400 free
    4x100 free 25k 25d 50pb 15s rest
    Main set
    15 sit ups/ 45s plank/ 10 press ups
    4x75 free pull buoy Dec 1-4 20s rest
    35 squats
    1x200 free pull buoy breathe every 5/7 by 25m
    (repeat 3 times)

It was a busy lane tonight, great to see. I'm at the back end of Standard in my lane, happy about that as it pushes me on. I'm starting to feel the water again, back to caressing her fluidity. Those youtube vids were on my mind too, so form was taut, stretched out and long, high elbows... all the things you learn from day 1, but sometimes need to be reminded of.

LC Masters gala is in Limerick in March, a few of us will be going down to it. I've my eye on to 100 and 400 free, although the 1,500 is on the evening before the main event... decisions to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oooooo.....LC Masters gala!!! That will be fun!! :)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oooooo.....LC Masters gala!!! That will be fun!! :)

Having never stood on blocks in my life! Any tips for the start?

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Having never stood on blocks in my life! Any tips for the start?

Wait for the gun! ;)

Which begs the question - are you allowed one false start?

Which leads me to my best tip - practice starting on blocks before the big day. :) It's been a lifetime ago that I raced, and I'm not sure what kind of start you'll be using on the day, but a few things to consider are: wrap your toes around the block, look at your knees while down in the starting position (not up!), listen for the horn to sound and explode off the block, streamline your body as much as possible from head to toe when entering the water (minimize drag!), and start kicking once totally in the water and before you lose momentum. I'm sure your masters coach will do a little "starting block" clinic for you peeps if you ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

One of the club sessions I used to do we used to do a bit from the blocks. One session I remember was 20 x 50m off the blocks each 50m length. One thing I remember is to tuck your head down a bit when your entering the water, chin to chest, stopped the goggles being pulled off. But like Dory said, practice and see what works for you.

A great gala by all accounts. If you do the 1500m on the Friday I believe you need someone to count for you too. That used to be the case anyway.

Fri 5,000m swim "Gerry Rodriguez 90 mins" 1:35:43

Warm up:
    400sw, 400pb (1:43 pace)
    Main set 4x1000 as:
    4x250pb (20s rest) progression effort 70/75/80/85%+ (1:38/1:40/1:39/1:37 pace)
    10x100 fastest you can swim consistent with 3/5s rest between. You should be on the anaerobic threshold. (1:38/1:40/1:39/1:37/1:31/1:37/1:38/1:38/1:39/1:40)
    2x500 pb/snorkle/band/kick (mechanics) 75% effort; 30s rest between (1:48/1:49 pace)
    10x100 90% effort, 30s+ rest between (1:32/1:34/1:34/1:37/1:34/1:32/1:34/1:35/1:35/1:36)
    200m cool down

Well this was tough, I didn't hit the times I had in mind, but it sets a marker. My arms were a little tired from last night, but this is a useful set, its more about form than speed (although both are trained). If I was doing it again (and I will) I'd bring a centre snorkle for technique, and do some kicks too.
    The first set of 100's I had targeted 1:30 pace- ended up way off that. I think this is mainly due to January sluggishness and I'd expect that set to get closer to 1:30 pace soon. Ditto the second set of 100's, I had targeted sub 1:25.
    But overall I'm happy with how it went, the main purpose is consistent form (perhaps consistent form on tired arms?), and the "mechanics" sets help to reset that form for the 100's.

That's a long set! I know you love your swimming but did you find your mind wandering at all??? Coach prescribed session?

joey100 wrote: »
    That's a long set! I know you love your swimming but did you find your mind wandering at all???
    Not a bit- in fact you stay focused all the time as the set is broke up into segments.
    Coach prescribed session?
    Not exactly... but as long as it doesn't impact on Sundays 3+hr turbo it wasn't verbotten either.

Ah the 3+ hour turbo, the joys of winter training! Fair play on the swim, sounds like a tough set but does look like your kept busy through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

But overall I'm happy with how it went, the main purpose of such a long set was to overtake Griffin on the swim log is consistent form (perhaps consistent form on tired arms?), and the "mechanics" sets help to reset that form for the 100's.

Fixed that for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

On diving starts;

Being the studious person that you are, I'm sure you remember Gerry Rodriguez talking of a session consisting of 8*400m, with diving starts, in the video series I sent to you.

It goes like this
    1) sprint the first 100m whilst sighting 3/4 times per 25m,
    2) then dial the effort back to cruising pace for the middle 200m, sight twice per 25m for this stretch,
    3) then back to sprinting the last 100m and sighting 3/4 times per 25m.
    4) When you touch the wall, immediately push yourself up out of the pool and stand up.
    5) It would be great if you could run for 10 seconds, but I think most pools wouldn't allow this.
    Anyway, this ideally would be done as a group session where the next person immediately dives in after the lead swimmer and gets on their feet right away. If they're banging your toes right away, then just get over, it happens. It's sounds like great pool based race prep.

I have a proposition for you.

I realise we don't live close to each other, but would you be interested in doing this session together. Anybody else based around the Pale would be welcome to come along. I also realise you're a much better swimmer than me and you'd drop me no problem starting off, but maybe on the seventh or eighth set, you'd have tired and my doggedness would start to pay off. Or perhaps other boardsies will come on board and with a draft, they'll be able to stick with you, and swimming in their slipstream, I'll be able to stick with them.

Or I could lead out some of them. You give me a head start of 10 seconds, or whatever we deem appropriate, then you try pass me out before 100m. As long as your not a complete ignoramus when trying to pass, I'll look forward to the tussle. We might both take a few thumps, but so what? All in the game, yo.

If you can't pass within the first 100m, then stay where you are for the 200m at cruising pace and pass during the final 100m.

Any interest?

If you think it's a good idea and you're happy, I'll post details on the main forum and we could get a group. We'll take over a lane somewhere, and let all the leisure swimmers go sh!te. Flash mob style.

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    On diving starts;

Being the studious person that you are, I'm sure you remember Gerry Rodriguez talking of a session consisting of 8*400m, with diving starts, in the video series I sent to you.

It goes like this
    1) sprint the first 100m whilst sighting 3/4 times per 25m,
    2) then dial the effort back to cruising pace for the middle 200m, sight twice per 25m for this stretch,
    3) then back to sprinting the last 100m and sighting 3/4 times per 25m.
    4) When you touch the wall, immediately push yourself up out of the pool and stand up.
    5) It would be great if you could run for 10 seconds, but I think most pools wouldn't allow this.
    Anyway, this ideally would be done as a group session where the next person immediately dives in after the lead swimmer and gets on their feet right away. If they're banging your toes right away, then just get over, it happens. It's sounds like great pool based race prep.

I have a proposition for you.

I realise we don't live close to each other, but would you be interested in doing this session together. Anybody else based around the Pale would be welcome to come along. I also realise you're a much better swimmer than me and you'd drop me no problem starting off, but maybe on the seventh or eighth set, you'd have tired and my doggedness would start to pay off. Or perhaps other boardsies will come on board and with a draft, they'll be able to stick with you, and swimming in their slipstream, I'll be able to stick with them.

Or I could lead out some of them. You give me a head start of 10 seconds, or whatever we deem appropriate, then you try pass me out before 100m. As long as your not a complete ignoramus when trying to pass, I'll look forward to the tussle. We might both take a few thumps, but so what? All in the game, yo.

If you can't pass within the first 100m, then stay where you are for the 200m at cruising pace and pass during the final 100m.

Any interest?

If you think it's a good idea and you're happy, I'll post details on the main forum and we could get a group. We'll take over a lane somewhere, and let all the leisure swimmers go sh!te. Flash mob style.

:D Sure, great idea, build it and they will come! I'll start working on my southpaw now ;)

^^^ I think we need to secure a camera man and a colorful commentator so we all can see the drama unfold! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Great, and we'll make sure to schedule one for the week you come over for Challenge Galway, Dory.

PM 7.84k run
    15 easy
    5 steady
    4x(400m fast, 200m easy)
    5+ easy

The paces weren't anything special, I am still struggling to breath at pace. Still, faster than I've run in a while.

zico10 wrote: »
    Great, and we'll make sure to schedule one for the week you come over for Challenge Galway, Dory.

Great idea, this couldn't possibly happen without the forums' finest fish. Look after those femurs Dory ;)

Sat 16.69k run

60mins easy
    20mins steady
    10mins easy

Another early start overlooking the dawning sun rising from red Wales. Chatting, discussing, pace for an hour, then picking things up a bit for a decent 20 mins. The best way to start the weekend.

Sun 3 hour turbo 178W av

2x(45 easy, 45 tempo) (146W, 187W, 154W, 226W)

I was not looking forward to this, roads might have been ok to go out but it was cold enough that I wasn't risking up. Woke at 4am and tossed and turned considering would I wake the family with turbo noise? Eventually went back to sleep and started it at 9am.

"2001: A Space Odyssey" is exactly 2:30 long, giving you 30 minutes to work out what the hell was going on.

That's a significant difference in the 2 tempo efforts. Nice to finish better than you started

Coach prescribed session?
    Not exactly... but as long as it doesn't impact on Sundays 3+hr turbo it wasn't verbotten either.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    That's a significant difference in the 2 tempo efforts. Nice to finish better than you started

I'm sure some(one in particular) might suggest a connection between the two sessions! In fact I was half asleep on Sunday and only realised what tempo wattage was, half way into the turbo.

Mon 7.6k easy run, 44:40

The one purpose in this run was to wake up the body for tonights 400mTT. Aim will be sub 5:45. I've not been swimming great recently but if focus on good form I should have no excuses.

Good luck this evening :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Aim will be sub 5:45.

😱

Advertisement