Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Van M3

Options
  • 28-09-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Noticed today just after the toll coming into Dublin there was a white a yellow speed van

Nice placement to get more money out of you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It's always sitting just after the bridge that goes over Mill Road inbound on the Navan Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

It's always sitting just after the bridge that goes over Mill Road inbound on the Navan Road.

Yeah to catch you as its 80 down to 50

Funny the new one I seen is on a three lane motorway with a hardshoulder.
    But they are there to "save lives", yet the van in front of me decided after seeing it to slam on in the second lane and could have lead to an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

jeffk wrote: »
    Yeah to catch you as its 80 down to 50

Think it's still the 80 zone, 50 is a few metres up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

just obey the rules of the road, don't break the law, you'll be grand.

You'd think that

Coming up to the van(knowing it was there) doing 120 or so
    Two cars in lane three,first down to silly speed, then had the other one doing likewise
    Then a taxi going even slower in lane two
    I had to go into lane one(undertaking, which is illegal as far as I know) to continue doing the speed-limit

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    (undertaking, which is illegal as far as I know)

Undertakers in Ireland beware.

Your problem is with other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Undertakers in Ireland beware.

Your problem is with other drivers.

No, his problem is with speed vans being strategically placed at specific areas where there are, in many cases, a ridiculous drop in speed limits to laughable levels and at points that are polar opposites to 'Black Spot' locations. This is a cash cow, plain and simple.

Case & point.....

I challenge anyone to stay within 30kmh in this area. You'll be ran off the road.

364746.JPG

dodzy wrote: »
    No, his problem is with speed vans being strategically placed at specific areas where there are, in many cases, a ridiculous drop in speed limits to laughable levels and at points that are polar opposites to 'Black Spot' locations. This is a cash cow, plain and simple.

No, their problem is with "a ridiculous drop in speed limits to laughable levels" not being observed by other drivers. In their example, they cited 2 cars going OVER the limit (120 or so, as jeffk says) in the 80 or 50 zone (i assume from posts) only slowing because of a speed van enforcing the law. They were already breaking it by their own choice.

80 - 50 is a ridiculous drop?

50 is a laughable level?

I disagree entirely.

Law is law. If you want to change it, there are plenty of options. If you want to break it, be prepared to get caught.

and a cash cow? I'd love to know how much income they generate per year vs cost to run, and then the decrease in loss of life for the same period.

I don’t agree with the camera as dozy said or the one before it just as the slip road to the hospital starts.

Dozy hit the nail on the head:
    Built a motorway to Navan (they didn’t really need), turn a N road into a L road and put cameras on it (outside Dunsaughlin and just leaving Navan as you cross the bridge)
    Took the road from here to Finglas, made it modern, bus lane etc, then dropped the speed limit to 60 and park a van in a cut out of the fence.

But I’m on about a different part on the M/N3
    amp4pd.jpg
    That part is 120, yet there where two cars in lane three and one in lane two doing 80 or less, so me doing the speed limit had to undertake these cars, two days before a car in lane two decided after seeing the van to slam on. Hardly sounds like safe driving as a reaction to said van

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Going back to your OP jeff, it does seem a ridiculous place to put the van- it's a long straight safe stretch of road.
    Their presence there would appear to have little to do with driver safety.
    There are stretches along the old N3* that are far more dangerous and it would be better to try to slow drivers down on those spots.

*I regularly drive to Cavan but haven't driven that road since the motorway opened so I'm assuming the dodgy spots are still there.

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Going back to your OP jeff, it does seem a ridiculous place to put the van- it's a long straight safe stretch of road.
    Their presence there would appear to have little to do with driver safety.
    There are stretches along the old N3* that are far more dangerous and it would be better to try to slow drivers down on those spots.

*I regularly drive to Cavan but haven't driven that road since the motorway opened so I'm assuming the dodgy spots are still there.

The old road as id call it is grand,herself lives in Navan and her brother lives in Virginia,so I go up and down that road a lot. Straight as an arrow in most parts and of course has speed vans(Navan hire,silver tankard pub)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

On n3 this evening again after kepak bridge heading towards blanch.

definitely noticing bigger presence of camera vans all over lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

It was in that spot either Weds or Thirsday morning last.

There is no car breaking the speed limit at 7:30am there dueing the week as it's usually tail to tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GraphicGaming

I hate the way the van is positioned here just after yhe esso garrage to catch those who stay at 80 or slow gradually down to 60 very unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bulmers wrote: »

definitely noticing bigger presence of camera vans all over lately.

......in locations where a 20 or 30% differential in speed is plainly not a safety issue. Funnily enough I've never seen a camera van on the main drag into my street where there really IS a safety risk with kids, pedestrians and cyclists all around, and folk fly down at 60kph with no fear of being pulled up for it.

Let no mouthpiece from the Guards or the RSA or Paschal Donohue's office ever again try and bullsh1t me that camera vans are not a money making racket, for that is all they are and parking in locations like those on this thread just ends their credibility.

Advertisement