Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installation Disk or System Repair Disk?

• 28-09-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hope somebody can help me with this :)

I accidentally deleted windows 7 from my laptop ( battery went dead during factory reset).
    Now when I turn on laptop it says ' An operating system wasn't found'. I know that a Windows 7 installation disc would do the trick but does anyone know if a System Repair CD would do the same job.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

There is a difference but both might work.

The installation disk is a DVD of about less than 3 GB and contains a full copy of the operation system. It usually also functions as a repair disc.

The system repair disk is a CD of much smaller capacity and does not contain the operation system. It allows you to boot up the system and gives you access to the restore points in windows if present, or possibly access to an image in a hidden partition on the drive, or a backup if made. It also allows repair of boot sector (mbr etc)

There may be differences in terms of re-activation of windows, in that a full re installation may afterwards (within a month?) require the key that is printed often under the laptop where it wears and sometimes cant be read. This is usually not required when restored from its own image.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mrtom

Does a full W 7 reinstall require reinstalling motherboard drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

mrtom wrote: »
    Does a full W 7 reinstall require reinstalling motherboard drivers?

Yes, but the old drivers may still be on the laptop, and you can install them after installing windows.
    you should have your windows key on a sticker on the laptop if you get a win 7 dvd.
    win 7 iso are easy enough to find online if have access to another pc, friends mabey?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

Thanks Joe1919. A friend is gonna copy windows 7 from their computer and I still have the product key at the back.. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

han2000 wrote: »
    Thanks Joe1919. A friend is gonna copy windows 7 from their computer and I still have the product key at the back.. Thanks again :)

You normally need the win 7 iso file (burned on a DVD or bootable usb flash drive) to install. Just copying the windows folder (& boot files etc) from another computer will cause problems, as the windows folder is custom built during install to match the hardware. It is possible with similar computers to clone. The windows version ( Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc.) must match your key/label or a new key will need to be loaded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement