Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitered alarm

Options
  • 28-09-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Lads I need to get an alarm system fitted in my house as I am getting a fourth gun. Does the alarm have to be monitered by a company or can it be monitered to my and a few mates phones ? What is the cheapest and most basic system I can get to keep the guards happy?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If they are all unrestricted firearms then it's level three security at a minimum:

Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. | Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621 |

If one or more are restricted then it's level 4

Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place | In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities. |

If you are getting a monitored alarm it must be by a registered company and maintained by the same as per the SI above (highlighted)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

Hi cass , I have two rifles and a shotgun . I am buying another shotgun but need an alarm fitted. Can my mate who is an electrican fit an alarm for me ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

borrisboy wrote: »
    Can my mate who is an electrican fit an alarm for me ?
    As above:
    Cass wrote: »
    If you are getting a monitored alarm it must be by a registered company and maintained by the same as per the SI above (highlighted)
    So if it's a monitored alarm or house alarm it must be by a registered company. I used to work for a company installing alarms years ago, but as i'm not registered myself i had to get my mate, who is, to fit the system to my own house.

If it's just the safe or room the guns are stored in i think something your mate does will suffice, but don't quote me on that. It's down to your Super.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

ok thanks Cass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

You only need a self installed alarm for your 4th firearm, as none are restricted.
    You may as well get something that will cover the house as well. Entry doors, and a couple of internal motion detectors are enough.

Did Aldi/Lidl have a Yale unit in lately??? That would do you OK.

Anyway something from Woodies, B&Q, etc. will do IF your super excepts it and doesn't require you to install something more advanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I went in and yapped to my local FO because I am applying for a restricted firearm. The FO asked me about my safe, and my alarm system etc. as expected. All was in order.

Then they asked me if I had electric gates. :eek:

What next, an alligator filled moat?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

clivej wrote:
    Did Aldi/Lidl have a Yale unit in lately??? That would do you OK.

clivej wrote:
    Anyway something from Woodies, B&Q, etc. will do IF your super excepts it and doesn't require you to install something more advanced.

In my opinion I would not use the above considering the risk involved. I had 3 inspections when I was applying 1st one was 2 guards sent up my the fo just to see if I had a safe. 2nd was a crime prevention officer and finally the fo himself. I put it down to the fo covering all bases but felt all the onus was on me telling them what I had alarm wise. On the plus side of getting a registered installer to fit a system if you need to go the monitoring route you can use the same system as the monitoring station won't accept the diy systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

If you are.getting a forth gun then you have a.fair few quid invested so why put a system is place that is half arsed.

Also, as a.gun owner you need.to take every precaution to ensure the guns never fall into the wrong hands.

A properly installed alarm will.cost you €600. I know personally I've had a safe in placed and my house alarmed and monitored from day one of owning my first gun.

As gun owner I fell you should put as much protection in place not minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I went in and yapped to my local FO because I am applying for a restricted firearm. The FO asked me about my safe, and my alarm system etc. as expected. All was in order.

Then they asked me if I had electric gates. :eek:

What next, an alligator filled moat?

Four firearms and one is restricted then get a monitored alarm fitted.

NOT Eircom. Nothing wrong with their system but you have to stay with them, you can't get extra sensors fitted from different people.

Advertisement