Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Ribeye steaks....I slow cooked them

Options
  • 29-09-2015 12:09am

I recently had two ribeye steaks. Normally I would fry or bbq them but lately I've gotten tired of the salty/dry taste of them.

So I chopped them up in to pieces and slow cooked them in a stew with veg and a glass of red wine.

Do you think this is a waste of steak? I know that usually slow cooking something is better with cheaper, fattier cuts of meat. Is it OK with ribeye steaks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've no doubt ribeye would be fine stewed but you're paying a hig price per Kg for something that probably isn't improving the dish compared to a cheaper cut .

As s you describe your fried ribeyes, it sounds like you are overcooking them (even if you don't like any pink in your steak).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Salty taste? Use less salt :)

As above you paid for a steak when all you needed was cheaper meat really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're steaks are coming out dry, you might want to consider coking them differently to the way you normally would?

I've been doing a reverse sear recently and it's (imho, short of sous vide) the best way to get a great steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you're steaks are coming out dry, you might want to consider coking them differently to the way you normally would?

I've been doing a reverse sear recently and it's (imho, short of sous vide) the best way to get a great steak.

+1

I've had a few reverse seared tomahawks, and they are awesome.

Slow cook / Stewing is a bit of a waste of meat that expensive, considering you can make an equally tasty and tender dish out of cheek or skirt for a fraction of the price.

vibe666 wrote: »

Hmm never heard of a reverse sear? Might check it out.

Thanks for the replies by the way it's nice to get some alternative opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Total waste, no need to stew rib eye for 3 hours. Get the cheap stuff, cheek or chuck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Or shin or tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nearly as criminal as the time I witnessed sirloins going into a George foreman.

RasTa wrote: »
    Total waste, no need to stew rib eye for 3 hours. Get the cheap stuff, cheek or chuck

Yeah I know where you're coming from. It's just that I had 2 ribeyes in the freezer I needed to use up and have got a bit tired of the steak I cook recently so thought I would do something different and get the most out of every part of it (rather than cutting off the fatty bits)

Advertisement