Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad SIM abroad

• 29-09-2015 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I recently went to a city in Europe. I brought an iPad with a SIM slot with me, with the intention of buying a SIM to use only for data, so I could use it for maps and local information for the couple of days I was there.

But when I went looking for a SIM, it turned out that to activate the data plan, I would have to make a call - which of course I couldn't do on the iPad.

Is there a workaround?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Put the sim into another phone?

Can you do it through the SIM provider's website through a WiFi connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Put the sim into another phone?

Can you do it through the SIM provider's website through a WiFi connection?

a) Yes, that's what the shop said. One flaw in this: I don't have another phone that takes a nanosim.

b) And nope; them damn furriners don't make things easy. Good thinking, though, if it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Check a few different providers, some should have iPad data sims that don't require a call to activate. I got one in a European city last summer

naasrd wrote: »
    Check a few different providers, some should have iPad data sims that don't require a call to activate. I got one in a European city last summer

I did - in Netherlands - and nary a one. Don't think Apple thought this through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I did - in Netherlands - and nary a one. Don't think Apple thought this through!

Don't be blaming apple for what is really a carrier issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I recently went to a city in Europe. I brought an iPad with a SIM slot with me, with the intention of buying a SIM to use only for data, so I could use it for maps and local information for the couple of days I was there.

But when I went looking for a SIM, it turned out that to activate the data plan, I would have to make a call - which of course I couldn't do on the iPad.

Is there a workaround?

This sounds very strange: are you sure you didn't get an iPhone or other phone SIM with data ?

As for the size of the SIM, if you get hold of an adaptor, you could easily use another phone. However, once activated, if it is a SIM for phone use, it may not then work in iPad.

Ok, here's a very convoluted solution, I don't even know if it will work.

Skype has a feature (that costs the price of an SMS), where you can set your number, so that the person receiving the call sees an incoming call from whatever number you choose. I live abroad, so it is actually great when ringing home - my parents/family see my mobile number ringing, when in fact it is me calling, usually with a 10" tablet to me ear, via Skype.

If you log into Skype (again, assuming you have a Skype account :)), set the number to the number of the data SIM, make the call, and, em, well let's see if it will work.

culabula wrote: »
    This sounds very strange: are you sure you didn't get an iPhone or other phone SIM with data ?

I didn't buy anything - but the iPhone or other phone SIM was the only kind on offer. I've never found a shop that sells an iPad-only SIM - is there such a thing?
    Ok, here's a very convoluted solution, I don't even know if it will work…

If you log into Skype (again, assuming you have a Skype account :)), set the number to the number of the data SIM, make the call, and, em, well let's see if it will work.

But I couldn't log into Skype in the first place, having no way of getting the data to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

I've had 2 data SIMs in my iPad. It seems to depend on the carrier. The first was from 3 Ireland and the back room folks had to activate it for me, after I called for help. It took 2 or 3 days.
    The second was from a prepay from Orange Spain and that set it up by itself; it even put a message on the screen when the credit was topped up.

I didn't buy anything - but the iPhone or other phone SIM was the only kind on offer. I've never found a shop that sells an iPad-only SIM - is there such a thing?

But I couldn't log into Skype in the first place, having no way of getting the data to do so.

Yes, of course. It's an *iPad* data SIM that you want. As I said, even once you activate the other SIM, there is no guarantee that it will then work in your iPad. Many carriers prevent this.

• Advertisement

JonMac wrote: »
    I've had 2 data SIMs in my iPad. It seems to depend on the carrier. The first was from 3 Ireland and the back room folks had to activate it for me, after I called for help. It took 2 or 3 days.
    The second was from a prepay from Orange Spain and that set it up by itself; it even put a message on the screen when the credit was topped up.

Most carriers supply dedicated data SIMs for iPad. I myself have bought dozens over the years. I have never had any problem getting any of them to work.

Some carriers' SIMs for phones will also work in an iPad or will with a workaround -but many are defeated, such as those from Three UK, Orange France and so on.

May I ask what country you wish to buy a SIM for ?

Surely there is somewhere around you that has free wifi? Cafe, hotel, city park? I dunno.

Surely there is somewhere around you that has free wifi? Cafe, hotel, city park? I dunno.

I'm afraid I cannot see that as working. In any event, it's the wrong kind of SIM and I would caution against getting it.

If the SIM required is for the Netherlands, I found a dedicated iPad SIM in the very first network site I went to, Vodafone.nl.

May I ask what country you wish to buy a SIM for ?

Various. In the most recent case, I got off the plane in Schipol and went to the nearest phone shop, Lycamobile. They hadn't got a data-only SIM. They said to try the electronics shop. They said to try the newsagents. Later on, I tried a shop selling phones in The Hague. None of them had data-only SIMS for iPads. They offered me iPhone SIMs, but said they had to be activated by a phone call.

The same happened to me in London last year. For my next trip, I bought a 3 SIM online, and it worked while I was there. (It was a 3 SIM for iPhone, which apparently may or may not work with an iPad.)

Various. In the most recent case, I got off the plane in Schipol and went to the nearest phone shop, Lycamobile. They hadn't got a data-only SIM. They said to try the electronics shop. They said to try the newsagents. Later on, I tried a shop selling phones in The Hague. None of them had data-only SIMS for iPads. They offered me iPhone SIMs, but said they had to be activated by a phone call.

The same happened to me in London last year. For my next trip, I bought a 3 SIM online, and it worked while I was there. (It was a 3 SIM for iPhone, which apparently may or may not work with an iPad.)

Hi again. In the first instance, Lycamobile, which is a MVNO, is the wrong choice of network for such a SIM. You really need to use main operators. Here for example is the vodafone iPad data SIM in the Netherlands:

https://www.vodafone.nl/shop/mobiel-internet/prepaid/internet-op-je-tablet.shtml

Secondly, you bought the wrong SIM from Three UK. What you need is their Mobile Broadband SIM (20,49GBP for 3GB for 3 months). This will work in a Mifi or an iPad. A Three UK SIM is an excellent choice as it will give you free data in 16 countries, including many European ones. Not only that, but it will allow tethering from the iPad for other devices.

If you look at the operators' websites I would be very surprised if they do not offer a dedicated iPad or Mobile Broadband SIM in the country you're visiting. Then, once there, buy in a larger shop and not just the first one that you come to.

iPhone or phone SIMs may work in an iPad depending on operator -for example Three UK won't yet Three Ireland will (but only with tweaking). But for full use (tethering, streaming etc) you're probably better off with a dedicated, local iPad SIM.

Just ask here for advice, for your next trip.

Thanks for your advice and offer of help, @culabula.

Can you tell me now, in advance of my next trips to the Netherlands, France, UK and Spain, where to get these shy and flighty data SIMs, either before I go or when I get there?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Can you tell me now, in advance of my next trips to the Netherlands, France, UK and Spain, where to get these shy and flighty data SIMs, either before I go or when I get there?

Go to Amazon for the 3GB SIM card for £20.49. Only problem I have with it, is that I can't top it up, as it looks for a UK billing address. I'm sure Culabula will have a way around this?:)

whiterebel wrote: »
    Go to Amazon for the 3GB SIM card for £20.49. Only problem I have with it, is that I can't top it up, as it looks for a UK billing address. I'm sure Culabula will have a way around this?:)

Which one is data only?

UK billing address: use Parcel Motel.

Yep: three UK mobile broadband SIM is your only man for UK, France and Spain.

For NL, the Vodafone data SIM looks spot on unless you can find a better offer from a rival network. Hie thee to downtown Amsterdam and buy one in a Vodafone shop.

• Advertisement

Which one is data only?

UK billing address: use Parcel Motel.

That should be it. It's correctly described as "mobile broadband" and costs 20,49GBP for 3Gb for three months.

Even abroad it will allow tethering and streaming which a phone SIM from Three UK will not.

whiterebel wrote: »

I do. I don't top them up.

I don't agree with it -too dear. Much better to throw it away and buy another. Better deal.

For longer trips, I always bring two or three with me. No harm done.

For NL, the Vodafone data SIM looks spot on unless you can find a better offer from a rival network. Hie thee to downtown Amsterdam and buy one in a Vodafone shop.

If I'm travelling I normally can't hie myself anywhere. I'm on a schedule, and have to leave the airport and go straight to where I'm going. Then I'm lost, because I've no way to get directions from the maps.
    That should be it. It's correctly described as "mobile broadband" and costs 20,49GBP for 3Gb for three months.

Even abroad it will allow tethering and streaming which a phone SIM from Three UK will not.

Er, what should be it?

Looking at the 3 nano SIM for mobile broadband on Amazon, it gives no reference to it working for France or Spain.

By the way, I'm just back from a short hop to France. For such a short trip, I just got a Three UK SIM, popped it in a Mifi and shared the data to 4-5 of my devices while there.

For longer trips, I would get the superb new "Let's Go" iPad SIM from Orange France @14,90€ for blazingly fast 4G and share that from iPad to other devices.

Again, I feck it away when it runs out and buy another. Cheaper.

If I'm travelling I normally can't hie myself anywhere. I'm on a schedule, and have to leave the airport and go straight to where I'm going. Then I'm lost, because I've no way to get directions from the maps.

Er, what should be it?

That one at 20,49GBP for 3GB that you were asking about. That's the one I buy regularly. It's mobile broadband and not phone data.

Appreciate your inability to hie. In that case, you should see about ordering the SIM in advance from eBay to your Irish address or maybe order it from vodafone.nl to your hotel ? I see the SIM is free, then you apply a top up for data.

However, in an airport like Schiphol I would imagine Vodafone has a presence. Show them the link I sent you and explain that that's the SIM you want.

That one at 20,49GBP for 3GB that you were asking about. That's the one I buy regularly. It's mobile broadband and not phone data.

Appreciate your inability to hie. In that case, you should see about ordering the SIM in advance from eBay to your Irish address or maybe order it from vodafone.nl to your hotel ? I see the SIM is free, then you apply a top up for data.

However, in an airport like Schiphol I would imagine Vodafone has a presence. Show them the link I sent you and explain that that's the SIM you want.

I didn't see any link! Could you post it again?

I should imagine Vodafone has a presence in Schipol too, but I couldn't find them. The Information office, with typical Dutch helpfulness, shrugged his shoulders and sent me back to the Lycamobile shop.

This http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B47EYI2?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i appears to be a much cheaper version of the Three UK nano SIM, but it's not clear how long it lasts. At one stage I got one that worked (both in Britain and Ireland) for three months; can't remember how much it cost, but it was reasonable value, though I didn't use it except for the four days I was in Britain and needed it for maps.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions about streaming and tethering and mifi, whatever they are; it's kind of you and they'll be helpful for people who want to do these things. All I want to do is put a nano SIM into my iPad for data, so I can use it for turn-by-turn directions. I quite enjoy getting lost, as I invariably do unless I have a talking map, but it can be tiring after getting up at four for a flight.

Three UK's page only seems to offer a plan at £33 (€45) per month http://www.three.co.uk/Tablets/Apple/iPad-mini-3?featuretab=Features and doesn't say what countries it covers, as far as I can see.

I should imagine Vodafone has a presence in Schipol too, but I couldn't find them. The Information office, with typical Dutch helpfulness, shrugged his shoulders and sent me back to the Lycamobile shop.

This http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B47EYI2?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i appears to be a much cheaper version of the Three UK nano SIM, but it's not clear how long it lasts. At one stage I got one that worked (both in Britain and Ireland) for three months; can't remember how much it cost, but it was reasonable value, though I didn't use it except for the four days I was in Britain and needed it for maps.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions about streaming and tethering and mifi, whatever they are; it's kind of you and they'll be helpful for people who want to do these things. All I want to do is put a nano SIM into my iPad for data, so I can use it for turn-by-turn directions. I quite enjoy getting lost, as I invariably do unless I have a talking map, but it can be tiring after getting up at four for a flight.

https://www.vodafone.nl/shop/mobiel-internet/prepaid/internet-op-je-tablet.shtml

That is absolutely not the SIM you require. The key words are that it is '3G' data (phone) whereas you want a "Mobile Broadband" SIM. The one you were linked to earlier at 20,49GBP IS the one you want.

That is absolutely not the SIM you require. The key words are that it is '3G' data (phone) whereas you want a "Mobile Broadband" SIM. The one you were linked to earlier at 20,49GBP IS the one you want.

I didn't see a link. (The iPad does use 3G.)

• Advertisement

Three UK's page only seems to offer a plan at £33 (€45) per month http://www.three.co.uk/Tablets/Apple/iPad-mini-3?featuretab=Features and doesn't say what countries it covers, as far as I can see.

This one will do the job for you:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Broadband-Preloaded-Standard%C2%A0SIM-Tablets/dp/B0047GJI9W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443609387&sr=8-2&keywords=three+mobile+broadband+sim

Three offers free roaming in 16 countries. On their website, simply search for Feel at Home and you will see the list.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

You are looking at contracts. You want a prepaid mobile broadband SIM. Here they are:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff?deviceType=SIM_ONLY_MBB&priceplan=&greatForServices=&manufacturerName=&payGPriceForTariff=50to99.99&payGPriceForTariff=0to49.99&intid=3store_mbb_payg_sim

Advertisement