Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad SIM abroad

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I didn't see a link. (The iPad does use 3G.)

That is not relevant. The SIM you linked to is for a phone device and I repeat, simply will not function in your iPad as it requires a mobile broadband SIM from Three. Three differentiate between the two by calling one mobile data and the other mobile broadband.

I do not know why you're not seeing my links. I've posted three in the post above.one is for the SIM that you need, at just 8,99GBP as well. Be aware though, that 1GB will not go far and you'd be better off with the 3GB. Remember, this will also work for free in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I saw those three, thanks very much @culabula.

What a strange and random (and randomly listed) group of countries! But this is a good start.

Do you know how long the data lasts? (In other words, do I have to get a new SIM every month?

That SIM you kindly linked to is a standard size, is there the same offer on a nano SIM, which is what iPads use?

364258.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

culabula wrote: »
    I do. I don't top them up.

I don't agree with it -too dear. Much better to throw it away and buy another. Better deal.

For longer trips, I always bring two or three with me. No harm done.

Now that you mention it, that's what I decided to do as well. I think the deal is far worse when you top up, I think 1gb for £15?

I saw those three, thanks very much @culabula.

What a strange and random (and randomly listed) group of countries! But this is a good start.

Do you know how long the data lasts? (In other words, do I have to get a new SIM every month?

That SIM you kindly linked to is a standard size, is there the same offer on a nano SIM, which is what iPads use?

364258.png

You can easily change the size to nano on the Amazon link. The latest generation from Three online or instore are '3-in-1' so you can easily press out the nano size that you require.

If you get the one at 20.49 it is 3GB for 3 months or until you use it up. As advised earlier, throw it away then and get a new one or get a few in advance. They don't start until you insert them, so handy to have a few and far cheaper than topping up.

If you can get to a Three store in the UK before onward travel, you will be online before you leave the shop. The entire purchase, insertion and automatic activation will take a few minutes.

On the Three.co.uk website (an unnavigable nightmare of a kludge), you eventually come to a three-month nano-SIM for £20.49 (€28)

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=569

but when you look for what devices it works with, it includes only phones.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, that's what I decided to do as well. I think the deal is far worse when you top up, I think 1gb for £15?

Yes, it's pointless. Just buy in advance or on an ad-hoc basis.

On the Three.co.uk website (an unnavigable nightmare of a kludge), you eventually come to a three-month nano-SIM for £20.49 (€28)

Don't worry about that -as long as you choose one of their mobile broadband SIMs the point is that they work in DEVICES whereas the mobile data SIMs ONLY work in phones.

THIS is the one that you want:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff?deviceType=SIM_ONLY_MBB&priceplan=&greatForServices=&manufacturerName=&payGPriceForTariff=50to99.99&payGPriceForTariff=0to49.99&intid=3store_mbb_payg_sim

I had already put the correct link for you in the post containing three links above. You will see the acronym 'MBB' in that link = mobile broadband. This is a subtle difference from mobile data.

Be clear -you want a prepaid mobile broadband 3GB SIM at 20,49GBP. You do not want a 'SIM-only' phone SIM no matter how much data is included.

I had already put the correct link for you in the post containing three links above. You will see the acronym 'MBB' in that link = mobile broadband. This is a subtle difference from mobile data.

Be clear -you want a prepaid mobile broadband 3GB SIM at 20,49GBP. You do not want a 'SIM-only' phone SIM no matter how much data is included.

No - because the link you posted led to a standard SIM, @culabula. I need a nano SIM.

Ah, wait, one of your links, when followed through, finally led to this:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/content/basket?ID=1183

which describes itself as
    Broadband - Pay As You Go + 3.
    Includes.
    Pre-loaded with 3GB and valid up to 3 months. Topped up and ready to go.
    3GB data
    Valid for 3 months

which seems to be what I need, and is indeed €20.49 (ouch, since I probably only want to use it for a couple of days).

No - because the link you posted led to a standard SIM, @culabula. I need a nano SIM.

Ah, wait, one of your links, when followed through, finally led to this:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/content/basket?ID=1183

which describes itself as

which seems to be what I need, and is indeed €20.49 (ouch, since I probably only want to use it for a couple of days).

I repeat. Three sims are three-in-one. You simply press out the size that you need.

If you only want it for a couple of days -you can choose a cheaper one. But, as advised, you can continue to use it free of charge in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I repeat. Three sims are three-in-one. You simply press out the size that you need.

If you only want it for a couple of days -you can choose a cheaper one. But, as advised, you can continue to use it free of charge in Ireland.

I can, but I know my way in Ireland! Though come to think of it, I could probably fasten the iPad onto my handlebars when going for long cycles…

I can, but I know my way in Ireland! Though come to think of it, I could probably fasten the iPad onto my handlebars when going for long cycles…

Yes, but don't you like having a 4G-enabled iPad online ? 😜

All I'm saying is, the data/investment will not be wasted. If you only use it for a couple of days you can either continue to use it in Ireland or remove it and use it again if you travel within a Feel at Home country within 3 months.

Yes, but don't you like having a 4G-enabled iPad online ? ��

Not really. At home, it's mostly used on wifi.
    All I'm saying is, the data/investment will not be wasted. If you only use it for a couple of days you can either continue to use it in Ireland or remove it and use it again if you travel within a Feel at Home country within 3 months.

Unfortunately, that 'if' is fairly iffy.

In other news, member Biko, there's little point complaining to a moderator about a thread he's currently contributing to. If you aren't interested, don't read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Qualitymark - another option for you when you arrive abroad and need a map is to use an app like CoPilot; I've used it for years and really like it. Your 3G iPad has the GPS chip so the app will work fine without Internet access. You'll be able to find your way to a WiFi cafe or a vendor of mobile internet SIMs!

JonMac wrote: »
    Qualitymark - another option for you when you arrive abroad and need a map is to use an app like CoPilot; I've used it for years and really like it. Your 3G iPad has the GPS chip so the app will work fine without Internet access. You'll be able to find your way to a WiFi cafe or a vendor of mobile internet SIMs!

Wow, this is good news indeed! In that case I could dispense with having a sim at all, since I'd only really use it for maps. Thank you so much - I'll download it today and try it out immediately.

I tried CoPilot out in a furrin city today. I'm pretty stupid with directions, so ended up in the wrong train station after becoming confused and stopping to ask a human directions. This free trial version doesn't include things like train and bus stations. Are they in the paid version, @JonMac?

I would google the address before you leave, e.g.
    Gare du Nord 18 Rue de Dunkerque, 75010 Paris
    Amsterdam Stationsplein 1012 AB.

Sometimes it gets funny, such as it says Rue de Dunkerque is a restricted road.

The POI's seem to be only available if you have Internet access.

You can also browse the map to set your destination.

I would google the address before you leave, e.g.
    Gare du Nord 18 Rue de Dunkerque, 75010 Paris
    Amsterdam Stationsplein 1012 AB.

Sometimes it gets funny, such as it says Rue de Dunkerque is a restricted road.

The POI's seem to be only available if you have Internet access.

You can also browse the map to set your destination.

I did that. I found it a little bit hard to follow, but will practise at home before bringing it out foreign to Galway or anywhere again.

This time it was my own silly fault. I followed the map reasonably successfully almost to the station, then couldn't understand where it was telling me to go. I asked a local for Central Station. "Is that the one beside the Europa?" he said, and, acting on earlier experience, I said "Er, yeah, I think so." Damn untrustworthy northerners, switching the main station and not telling me.

Edit: If the POIs are only available when online, this isn't an app I'd buy. I wonder what's the story with TomTom.

Culabula - I bought one of the Three.uk data SIMs that you suggested. I'm going to use it in Spain next month.
    Do I need to activate it in the UK on the way to the ferry, or can I just activate it in Spain when I arrive? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Culabula - I bought one of the Three.uk data SIMs that you suggested. I'm going to use it in Spain next month.
    Do I need to activate it in the UK on the way to the ferry, or can I just activate it in Spain when I arrive? Thanks.

Hi. First of all, there's no activation involved. You simply stick it in and off you go. If you set your data counter to 0 in settings, you can watch your consumption.

As it works in Ireland, you can start using it at any time or just before you leave.

Nota bene -no need to roam with a specific network, simply accept whatever network it locks onto. However, if data speeds are poor, you're free to try any other network available to you.

Advertisement