Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM card replacement policy.

Options
  • 29-09-2015 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

2 weeks ago I lodged a cheque in one of your branches. My ATM card was spliiting ever so slightly above the magnetic stripe and I had a conversation with the cashier that went along the following lines:

Cashier: Your card is splitting there sir, I'll order a new one for you so it doesn't split sometime when you need it.
    Me: Oh I hadn't actually noticed, but ok, thank you. 
    Cashier: It'll take 3-5 working days, is that ok?
    Me: Yes, no problem. Thank you.

A few days later new card arrives. Great.
    A few days later again when I look at my account online lo and behold there's an €8 charge for a new card. Was it mentioned anytime throughout the process there would be a charge? No. Was I happy to continue with my card that was working perfectly? Yes, of course I was. So I rang Banking 365 last Thursday and had the pleasure of waiting for over 20mins before finally getting someone. Then I was promised a call back by my branch last Friday. That didn't happen. The call came yesterday. Here's the essential part.

Me: Had you told me there was a charge I wouldn't have taken a new card
    Cashier: But it's only €8
    Me: That's not really the point at all. The card was working perfectly and it didn't need to be replaced. I only replaced it at your suggestion. To then charge me for it is a little sneaky tbh.
    Cashier: But faulty cards can damage our machines.
    Me: Well then surely it's in your interest to pay for the replacement of cards then?

That last comment was greeted with what I can only assume was stunned silence. We parted ways after that.

I am fully aware it's "only €8", but that is clearly not the point. The way it was done says an awful lot about how you perceive your customers and how you treat them. It's another example of behaviour that is not exactly customer focused and is duplicitous in nature. Good to see you have changed.....:rolleyes:

Any comment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi.

2 weeks ago I lodged a cheque in one of your branches. My ATM card was spliiting ever so slightly above the magnetic stripe and I had a conversation with the cashier that went along the following lines:

Cashier: Your card is splitting there sir, I'll order a new one for you so it doesn't split sometime when you need it.

A few days later again when I look at my account online lo and behold there's an €8 charge for a new card. Was it mentioned anytime throughout the process there would be a charge? No. Was I happy to continue with my card that was working perfectly? Yes, of course I was. So I rang Banking 365 last Thursday and had the pleasure of waiting for over 20mins before finally getting someone. Then I was promised a call back by my branch last Friday. That didn't happen. The call came yesterday. Here's the essential part.

Me: That's not really the point at all. The card was working perfectly and it didn't need to be replaced. I only replaced it at your suggestion. To then charge me for it is a little sneaky tbh.
    Me: Well then surely it's in your interest to pay for the replacement of cards then?

That last comment was greeted with what I can only assume was stunned silence. We parted ways after that.

I am fully aware it's "only €8", but that is clearly not the point. The way it was done says an awful lot about how you perceive your customers and how you treat them. It's another example of behaviour that is not exactly customer focused and is duplicitous in nature. Good to see you have changed.....:rolleyes:

Any comment?
    Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks for your getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie and I am very sorry to hear about your experience.

I would like to look into this further for you; please can I ask you to send a PM with your name, the branch you were dealing with and a contact telephone number.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks for your getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie and I am very sorry to hear about your experience.

I would like to look into this further for you; please can I ask you to send a PM with your name, the branch you were dealing with and a contact telephone number.

Thanks
    Nicola

It's been sorted on my side Nicola. My question however would be how many other customers have been "offered" this "service" under the assumption It was free and never checked or realised they were actually charged for it?

If you still want the details I'll mail them to you. However, I'd rather see the introduction of a ban on charging for replacement cards implemented than this underhand way of revenue gathering. I wonder what % of customers get replacement cards every year x €8 equals? A nice bonus for someone no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Had a similar issue recently , ATM card was due to expire in November this year, around the end of July the magnetic strip started to peel off. Now I have never lost or needed a replacement ATM card, so I called to order one. 

During the conversation the 365 operator, informed there would be a charge for the new card, I queried as to why, considering a new card would be issued in a few weeks and I had never needed a replacement card from BOI or had issues before, the operator agreed to wave the charge, first statement arrives after the new card is issued and surprise surprise there is the 8 Euro charge. After another 2 weeks and 3 phone calls it was eventually recredited to my account

Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks
    Nicola

It's been sorted on my side Nicola. My question however would be how many other customers have been "offered" this "service" under the assumption It was free and never checked or realised they were actually charged for it?

If you still want the details I'll mail them to you. However, I'd rather see the introduction of a ban on charging for replacement cards implemented than this underhand way of revenue gathering. I wonder what % of customers get replacement cards every year x €8 equals? A nice bonus for someone no doubt.
    Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks for your post.

Currently for a personal current account there is a charge of €8.00 for the replacement of a lost/stolen or damaged card. However the replacement card charge should always be advised upfront before a new card is requested.

In this case if you were not advised of the charge we would certainly want to look into this further for you and review the charge.

Thanks
    Nicola

Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks
    Nicola

Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks for your post.

Currently for a personal current account there is a charge of €8.00 for the replacement of a lost/stolen or damaged card. However the replacement card charge should always be advised upfront before a new card is requested.

In this case if you were not advised of the charge we would certainly want to look into this further for you and review the charge.

Thanks
    Nicola

Thanks for your reply Nicola but you've given what can best be described as a "political reply" and dodged the central and most important part of my post. I'll furnish you with the details you've asked for when you reply to same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

The cards should also be fit for purpose. The Oberthur C. S. cards you are currently using are of a very poor quality. Should the customer bear the cost of your penny pinching?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks
    Nicola

Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks for your post.

Thanks
    Nicola

Thanks for your reply Nicola but you've given what can best be described as a "political reply" and dodged the central and most important part of my post. I'll furnish you with the details you've asked for when you reply to same.
    Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry that you are unhappy with the response provided, we are here to answer any banking queries that you have but we cannot discuss customer specific information.

If you would like me to follow up on your query I am happy to do this, just let me know.

Thanks
    Nicola

Hi ButtersSuki,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry that you are unhappy with the response provided, we are here to answer any banking queries that you have but we cannot discuss customer specific information.

If you would like me to follow up on your query I am happy to do this, just let me know.

Thanks
    Nicola

Wow!

How much did that reply via a PR Agency cost the bank?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

ButtersSuki,
    Your last reply is unnecessary and in no way helpful to either yourself or the rep attempting to assist you. 

Please review the tone of your posts before posting again. 

ButtersSuki,
    Your last reply is unnecessary and in no way helpful to either yourself or the rep attempting to assist you. 

Please review the tone of your posts before posting again. 

Hi Niamh,

I asked a question that I feel given the circumstances is fair. I received a reply that completely avoided the question that was asked, hence my "smart" reply.

If the bank representative had answered my question there would not have been a smart reply. Apologies if my comment is deemed offensive, but again, had the question been answered I wouldn't have been so frustrated at being fobbed off with a pre-orepared answer.

Again, I'm the one who has been overcharged here, and this type of underhanded charging is what annoys customers and shows how little the banks have changed their behaviour since the economic clause of 2008 where the taxpayer bailed out these banks who have for a variety of reasons changed very little.

Regards,
    ButtersSuki.

• Advertisement

What is the point in having this forum if you're going to delete or edit anything that you remotely deem critical of the bank?

A wasted opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Very disappointing attitudes from both the BoI representative and the Boards "Community Manager" on this thread.

As a BoI customer myself, I agree with the OP that Nicola has not provided satisfactory answers. Most of the replies we have seen are stock platitudes that wouldn't be out of place in any corporate PR handbook.

As a Boards user I don't appreciate Niamh trying to silence a legitimate complaint from a customer on a commercial feedback forum. If customers can not expect honest answers from the company in question (and are to be rebuked when expressing frustration at question-dodging politician's answers from the staff), then there is very little point in this forum existing in the first place.

The silence is deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I think we may need to open a Boards.ie feedback thread on this matter, and the whole idea of the "Talk To" forums in general. Between this (BoI) forum and other TT forums (particularly UPC and Vodafone), I have been severely disappointed in the wasted potential of these forums. The corporations involved have been disregarding an unprecedented opportunity to directly interface with customers and improve their business models based on direct feedback.

Absolute waste of time for everybody involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Hi.

Any comment?
    Wow! I recognise that conversation. It must be policy, but unofficially policy. My current a/c card stopped working although it looks ok. Heard from a member of staff that lower quality cards cut costs, just dont last very long.  So why would I pay to replace a faulty card?

Me: Hi, my card has suddenly stopped working in atm machines? Its not being recognised or something? 
    Bank Staff (examining card, and sees no obvious damage) : ¨do you keep it in your pocket¨    
    (...because of course it would get damaged in my pocket. But that wasnt the case as I kept it in an awkward little case to protect my bank cards.)
    Me: ¨ NO, I KEEP IT IN A CASE FOR ALL MY BANK CARDS¨
    Bank Staff:¨Aah, thats it then. You should keep it separate from all your other cards, because they can interfere with each other. So do you want us to replace it for you? ¨
    Me: THATS RIDICULOUS (How do you keep all your cards separate??)....BUT YES, THAT WOULD BE GREAT. HOW LONG WOULD THAT TAKE?¨
    Bank Staff: Only 5 to 10 working days.
    Me: OK, GREAT.
    Me: BUT EH.... AM I GOING TO BE CHARGED? TO REPLACE A FAULTY CARD??
    Bank Staff: ¨Yes, but its only 8 euro....¨

YEAH, I REALLY THINK I SHOULD PAY THE ONLY 8 EURO TO REPLACE A BANKS FAULTY BANK CARD WITH ANOTHER NOT FAULTY YET BANK CARD THAT APPARENTLY NEEDS TO BE KEPT SEPARATE FROM ALL OTHER (NOT FAULTY) BANK CARDS.....

Banking these days... :(

Advertisement