Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA International Economics and Finance MH401

Options
  • 29-09-2015 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I'm studying Economics, Politics and Law here in DCU. I recently discovered the above degree had fallen in points, I thought it would climb dramatically so I stupidly didn't apply (I ended up getting well above the points needed). Now I'm not sure which course I want more and I'm beginning to hate Politics and I often wonder will I be able to go through the FE1's and all the reading for law. Economics seems fun, as it seems business related and that was one of my favorite subjects during the LC.

I just wondering what people in NUIM think of the course. One of your own lecturers actually said its not too late to switch now. I want to work as an Economist or in a bank but I think the EPL leaves my options open too for a career in law. I might not even like Economics down the road as its only Week 2. The biggest things that bother me is will it be difficult to get a H2.1 needed to apply for masters in law or economics and is the maths hard in the course.

I also live between Balbriggan and Skerries, so travel could work out as an issue. What are the hours like?

To summarise this, I ask all college students alike what course do you think is better suited to me? Is it possible even to study a single honour in Economics? Could I even enter Year 2 through advanced entry at the end of this year? If I can't. what fees am I liable for?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Thank you in advance!

Which course is better? 1 vote

NUIM
    0% 0 votes
    DCU
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rayman1998

Hey there, I'm in first year of this course atm. Currently we're doing Economics, Maths and one of our electives (a language or computer science). If your dead sure you wanna be an Economist, I really recommend you transfer over to us ( I'm biased, I know). I know I'm so so late but I only saw this now by chance.

The hours of students doing a language is around 15-16 hours with all the tutorials and language labs. Students doing computer science do about 20 hours with the tutorials and labs.

We do Introductory Calculus and Statistics in maths. I reckon if you got a B in ordinary maths, you should have no trouble.

There's only 20 people doing this course and we are a great bunch. Only happy to add one more to our little group !!

If you need any more info, just pm me :-)

Advertisement