Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekday brunch - any suggestions?

Options
  • 29-09-2015 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭

Meeting a friend for a mid-morning late breakfast on a weekday. Wants to find someplace where a nice, light meal can be enjoyed in pleasant surroundings with time to chat.

Late breakfast or early lunch or any combination of...probably not just a rasher'n'egg, though. Nor a Chicken Pesto Wrap, either, LOL

Has to be central, friend passing through en route to other parts.

Thanks in advance, all ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Brother Hubbard would be a nice spot for it.

Herb Street is another we go to on Sundays nice spot by Grand Canal Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The Bernard Shaw in Portobello is lovely, Italian couple do the food, not exactly central but depends where they're going to/from!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Blas Cafe on Kings Inns Street (across from the Parnell Street side of the ILAC) or MishMash up the top end of Capel Street

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

spurious wrote: »
    Blas Cafe on Kings Inns Street (across from the Parnell Street side of the ILAC) or MishMash up the top end of Capel Street

I keep on meaning to try Blas what sort of things do they do? Mish.Mash is a great spot too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jimmii wrote: »
    I keep on meaning to try Blas what sort of things do they do? Mish.Mash is a great spot too.

Soup, sandwiches, breakfasts, but with a bit of thought put into them. Always have a good selection of baked goods - homemade biscuits etc.
    Every time I go, I usually have the egg and bacon bla, or the toasted three cheese sandwich, which is very nyom. Had a very tasty bean soup there once. A friend speaks highl;y of their Eggs Benedict, though it wasn't available the last time I went. can't remember why.

It's very hipster though (lots of crouching over computers) and although Mish Mash is much smaller, I kind of prefer the 'vibe' in Mish Mash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

BiBi's in portobello is excellent and perfect midweek as it is usually rammed weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Phoning some of them today.

I thought its interesting that the "cool" areas for that kind of café seem to be Capel St/Bolton St area, (3 nominations) and Portobello district! (2)

Well, went to Blas because it was the first one we reached on our walk, and also it is in the old Chocolate Factory which I remember well from working in Bolton St back in the Olden Daze.

Lovely use of an old industrial space. Small menu but the double poached eggs with sliced avocado on sourdough were just perfect. Tasty cup of coffee.

For a simple breakfast, would recommend.

Thanks you all - am saving the list to try the others too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Whitefriar ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

cson wrote: »
    Whitefriar ftw

Do they do weekday brunch? Thought it was weekend only, good to know.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what "Whitefriar ftw" means?

"Blas" at the old chocolate factory appear to be open Saturdays according to their website. The place is on Kings Inn St, just behind the College of Technology, opposite the childrens school.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

katemarch wrote: »
    Well, went to Blas because it was the first one we reached on our walk, and also it is in the old Chocolate Factory which I remember well from working in Bolton St back in the Olden Daze.

Lovely use of an old industrial space. Small menu but the double poached eggs with sliced avocado on sourdough were just perfect. Tasty cup of coffee.

For a simple breakfast, would recommend.

Thanks you all - am saving the list to try the others too!

Can I ask you how much it cost? Myself and girlfriend went to Bibi's earlier, she's a semi-regular, and it cost €28 for not a helluva lot. €3:50 per miniscule coffee.

I'm not sure what "Whitefriar ftw" means?

"Blas" at the old chocolate factory appear to be open Saturdays according to their website. The place is on Kings Inn St, just behind the College of Technology, opposite the childrens school.

Whitefriar for the win, archaic internet slang :pac:

@Birneybau

-- One of us paid for 3 breakfasts since it was a question of a guest visiting.

The original bill for 3 of the Egg/Avo/sourdough, plus a coffee each, was about 28 euro, paid 30 left the change as a tip.

@Birneybau

-- One of us paid for 3 breakfasts since it was a question of a guest visiting.

The original bill for 3 of the Egg/Avo/sourdough, plus a coffee each, was about 28 euro, paid 30 left the change as a tip.

As much as I paid for 2, essentially the same breakfast. Thanks.

Advertisement