If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with AV reciever - Onkyo 605

Options
  • 29-09-2015 12:29pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have the above receiver and it has just developed a strange issue.
    I have a 5.1 setup and ocassionally it drops the signal to the centre speaker so that it is very muffled or non existant, like one of the wires were loose. Initially I thought it was an issue with the speaker as when i disconnected and re-connected the cable it would work.
    Hoever I have since swapped the speakers around and have the same issue when using a different speaker.

So it looks like the centre channel on the reciever is the issue. But disconnecting and re-connecting the cable solves it, or if I turn up the volume it "pops" and the sound returns to the speaker.

Any ideas if this is an easy fix, or a big issue?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have a 5.1 setup and ocassionally it drops the signal to the centre speaker so that it is very muffled or non existant, like one of the wires were loose. Initially I thought it was an issue with the speaker as when i disconnected and re-connected the cable it would work.
    Hoever I have since swapped the speakers around and have the same issue when using a different speaker.

So it looks like the centre channel on the reciever is the issue. But disconnecting and re-connecting the cable solves it, or if I turn up the volume it "pops" and the sound returns to the speaker.

Just checking if you have checked the receiver end of the cable as well. Have you checked both ends in case there are some loose strands touching which may short the cable? 
    Sounds like that channel could be faulty - how old is the amp? could you PM me your contact details and I'll see what records we have in system for you?

cheers
    Brian

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hi Guys,

Just checking if you have checked the receiver end of the cable as well. Have you checked both ends in case there are some loose strands touching which may short the cable? 
    Sounds like that channel could be faulty - how old is the amp? could you PM me your contact details and I'll see what records we have in system for you?

cheers
    Brian
    Cheers, I'll double check the other end of the cable too.
    The amp is approaching 8 years old now, has served me well so far.
    I didn't buy it from yourselves, but wanted to know in general if they are an expensive thing to fix.

If so and I'm buying the speakers I might grab a new amp too...

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Hi Guys,

cheers
    Brian
    Cheers, I'll double check the other end of the cable too.
    The amp is approaching 8 years old now, has served me well so far.
    I didn't buy it from yourselves, but wanted to know in general if they are an expensive thing to fix.

If so and I'm buying the speakers I might grab a new amp too...
    Ah Right OK, To be honest at that sort of age it is probably better to replace. Depending on where you get it repaired, if theres shipping involved etc, you would be looking at €70-100 just to get it looked at to find the fault, then depending what it is on what the final cost would be 

At the minute there are a few models of Onkyo amp worth looking at if you want to stick with them -
    They start with the Txsr343 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201592-txsr343.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab - at €349, but the model which would be the current equivalent to your own is the txnr646 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201457-txnr646.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab at €749 - 100wpc and a 7.1 amp

other manufacturers worth looking at - Yamaha RXV677 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200624-rxv677.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab at €399 for similar spec

Cheers
    Brian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.