Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NPPR Form

Options
  • 29-09-2015 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

It's been a while since of gone through the whole process of selling a house. I've been onto a solicitor, he has asked that if I go with him I will need a few bit of information, 7 years proof that it is my main residence is the main sticking point. Is this a normal request these days.

Also, what should I be looking to pay for solicitors fees.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What CC is it? I had to do an affidavit for mine no proof required, I heard others didn't even need the affidavit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Rew wrote: »
    What CC is it? I had to do an affidavit for mine no proof required, I heard others didn't even need the affidavit.

It's Wicklow, is it standard practice to prove you lived in your house now?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Yes it is normal practice. I had to do this recently when selling a property. You need to show proof that the NPPR, Local property tax and the household charge has all been accounted for. It is very easy to get access to your NPPR and LPT records, the only complications are when you have been exempt and have to prove this. Like a previous poster, I had to have a NPPR exemption form signed by a solicitor (very simple request and cost me €10). You need to get this form from the relevant county council and then send them on the completed exemption form.
    You don`t need proof that the property has been your main residence, as the exemption form you fill in and is witnessed is an affidavit.

The NPPR/LPT forms was the most complicated thing I had to complete when selling my property, my advise to you would be to take care of this as soon as possible in the sale, even obtain the details before you advertise the property....

Cheers, have copies of my LPT online, the 2nd solicitor we talked to mentioned nothing of it, will have to ask him tomorrow.

Apparently it is the purchaser`s solicitor that looks for these details. It`s no harm to get them, as no doubt you will be asked for additional forms throughout the sale so the more you have in place now the less stress you will have down the line:-) Good luck!

• Advertisement

One other thing to note is, if you were the owner of the property before the 1st of november 2014, then you are liable for all the LPT for 2015 even if you sell the property at any point in 2015 (i was informed of this by revenue). My solicitor put a special clause in the contracts that the purchaser was liable for any LPT after the closing date of the sale...

hairyslug wrote: »
    Cheers, have copies of my LPT online, the 2nd solicitor we talked to mentioned nothing of it, will have to ask him tomorrow.

Whats required varies by CC unfortunately Wickow CC seem to be particularly sh**ty about it (I thought Meath were bad making get an affidavit). I did a quick google and found the page with info and the form:

http://www.wicklow.ie/nppr-non%E2%80%93principal-private-residence-charges

http://www.wicklow.ie/sites/default/files/Application%20for%20Certificate%20of%20Exemption%20for%20NPPR.pdf

To apply of an exemption they require:
    • Utility bills in the owner(s)’ name, for the correct dates addressed to him/her at the property for the charge years in question.
    • FULL property folio and map.

If I were you id get on this fast and get it sorted as it may delay your sale. Dont wait on getting a solicitor they will jsut tell you to fill in the form I've linked to. I would email Wicklow CC and clarify what proof you need and what happens if you cant provide all those bills (IE is one bill per year enough or do you have to provide the full back history). TBH I think they are being completely unreasonable asking for that level of proof. Who has bills going back that far?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Just had to do this for Dublin city council but it was such an efficient service. Biggest problem was that they required a utility bill posted to the address in question annually from 2009 to 2013.

Rew wrote: »
    Whats required varies by CC unfortunately Wickow CC seem to be particularly sh**ty about it (I thought Meath were bad making get an affidavit). I did a quick google and found the page with info and the form:

http://www.wicklow.ie/nppr-non%E2%80%93principal-private-residence-charges

http://www.wicklow.ie/sites/default/files/Application%20for%20Certificate%20of%20Exemption%20for%20NPPR.pdf

To apply of an exemption they require:
    • Utility bills in the owner(s)’ name, for the correct dates addressed to him/her at the property for the charge years in question.
    • FULL property folio and map.

If I were you id get on this fast and get it sorted as it may delay your sale. Dont wait on getting a solicitor they will jsut tell you to fill in the form I've linked to. I would email Wicklow CC and clarify what proof you need and what happens if you cant provide all those bills (IE is one bill per year enough or do you have to provide the full back history). TBH I think they are being completely unreasonable asking for that level of proof. Who has bills going back that far?!

They also said they would follow up with a house check or "confirmed by local knowledge"

Tbh, I didn't believe the solicitor when he started going on about this, have started chasing up sky for old bills, they are the only crowd I've been constant with since I moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Wicklow CC are very sticky about this - they insisted on utility bills which meant I had to go back to utility suppliers and get some sample bills re-issued for the years in question (as I hadn't held on to bills from years back). They wouldn't accept any other proof of address. I also had to send the folio.

In fairness to them I emailed in scanned versions of the above as well as the scanned completed form and they issued the exemption cert that day so start getting your documentation together now and it shouldn't hold you up.

• Advertisement

Wicklow CC are very sticky about this - they insisted on utility bills which meant I had to go back to utility suppliers and get some sample bills re-issued for the years in question (as I hadn't held on to bills from years back). They wouldn't accept any other proof of address. I also had to send the folio.

In fairness to them I emailed in scanned versions of the above as well as the scanned completed form and they issued the exemption cert that day so start getting your documentation together now and it shouldn't hold you up.

I don't think Wicklow are particularly different to other jurisdictions. From my understanding, they all require this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

What happens if you rented out your place for a few years in between buying and selling?

stackeye wrote: »
    What happens if you rented out your place for a few years in between buying and selling?

You pay it for that period

I had honestly never heard of it before this week, maybe I just had my head in the sand.

I've been hassling all possible utilities to see if they can come up with invoices/bills for me.

The penalties are quite big, totalling over 7k if you can't come up with any proof between 2009/13

In hindsight, I would be filing everything thing

There was no need to do anything historically as it was only if you had a holiday home or other 2nd house you had to care. There was plenty of reminders at the time but for those of us who it was primary residence we didn't have to do anything, till now...

How exact do you have to be on the dates, I have 4 of the 5 years, 2 of those years are not for March.

hairyslug wrote: »
    How exact do you have to be on the dates, I have 4 of the 5 years, 2 of those years are not for March.

I'd say you need a copy for every year but i was told the dates were indicative only. Mine bills were all for july.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Col1980

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Have to apply to Wicklow Co Co for this NPPR exemption. I have electricity bills 2009 to 2012 can’t get my hand on 2013 (may have been a pre-pay meter) have Wicklow accepted any other proof of occupancy from anybody?

When I did this originally, I sent in copies from Greenstar, ESB, SKY, and something else (can't remember) they accepted it but I must have sent in at least a dozen, my thought was to flood them with proof so there would be no question.

I sold my parents house in Wicklow 2 years ago and while the answered all my queries quickly, they were quite strict with what would be accepted and had to use electric Ireland bills,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is going to get more and more difficult for people who are resident in the house to prove they lived in it between 2009 and 2013. This carry on will be going on for another 6 years or so. By now there's probably very little money coming into the County Councils from non-payers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is going to get more and more difficult for people who are resident in the house to prove they lived in it between 2009 and 2013. This carry on will be going on for another 6 years or so. By now there's probably very little money coming into the County Councils from non-payers.

The amount coming in probably hasn't dropped as much due to people paying the full fines they didn't actually have to due to not being able to find the paperwork and needing to get the house shifted.

Advertisement