If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subwoofer for Sony STR-DH 550 5.2 system

Options
  • 29-09-2015 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have this system at home. I used my existing speakers from an old Philips all in one system I had but the existing subwoofer is not suitable for my new system so I have it wired it in simply as an extra front speaker (so in effect I have a 6.2 system). My question is, what type of subwoofer do I need for this system? I have read about active and passive systems but don't fully understand the difference to be honest. No idea about budget I want to spend until I figure out what product I need. Also, would there be any benefits to using 2 subwoofers since I have the capability (average sized living room, approx 5m x 4m)? Can you make me some recommendations from your products please?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

bmwguy wrote: »
    Hi,

I have this system at home. I used my existing speakers from an old Philips all in one system I had but the existing subwoofer is not suitable for my new system so I have it wired it in simply as an extra front speaker (so in effect I have a 6.2 system). My question is, what type of subwoofer do I need for this system? I have read about active and passive systems but don't fully understand the difference to be honest. No idea about budget I want to spend until I figure out what product I need. Also, would there be any benefits to using 2 subwoofers since I have the capability (average sized living room, approx 5m x 4m)? Can you make me some recommendations from your products please?
    The difference between active and passive subs, is that active subs have an amplifier built in, whereas a passive one uses the receiver amp in the same way as a normal speaker. Active subs are generally a lot better, as they use a higher level of amp to be able to create and sustain low frequency sounds.
    From what you are saying above it sounds like yours is passive

Active subs start around £99/€149, and would be a reasonable step up from the passive sub you have. There isn't really much benefit in keeping the passive one added as an extra speaker if you do purchase an active one

Have a look here - http://euro.richersounds.ie/c-23-Subwoofers.aspx?swapstore=1 for some other active subs

Regards
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Thanks Brian,

Mine just connected to my old Philips unit with the same connector blocks as the speakers, but my new Sony amp has a dedicated port for a sub. Thats why I just wired it as an additional front speaker, sure I will leave it there its not doing any harm and is hidden from sight. OK, I will have a look at the list you gave and get back to you if I need anything but I definitely think a sub is required to complete the whole setup.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

bmwguy wrote: »
    Thanks Brian,

Mine just connected to my old Philips unit with the same connector blocks as the speakers, but my new Sony amp has a dedicated port for a sub. Thats why I just wired it as an additional front speaker, sure I will leave it there its not doing any harm and is hidden from sight. OK, I will have a look at the list you gave and get back to you if I need anything but I definitely think a sub is required to complete the whole setup.
    No probs, drop me a post/pm if you have any other questions

Cheers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.