Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What chair do you use??

• 29-09-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I was wondering what kind of chair do you use for your battlestation?

I'm in the market for a new chair and have no idea what kind to get. The one I have at the moment is a cheapo off amazon that I got when setting up my rig thinking that I might only spend one or two hours a night on so I wasn't overly worried about getting a super fancy ergonomic dream machine that massages while I play. I just wanted something to sit on.

My gaming binges sometimes go on all day and I tend to get pains in the top of my back so methinks its time to get a new chair and flash the cash for a decent one.

I'd be especially appreciative to hear from taller guys as I am 6'3" with broad shoulders which I think is one of the reasons the chair doesn't suit as the top of my back is at the head rest.

Any and all recommendations welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

ikea markus - pretty popular round here afaik

great for the money imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I am currently using the Markus but I broke one of the arm rests and the height is constantly dropping down so am looking into alternatives myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Another Markus user here for my battlestation:

JkpgyLV.jpg

Have it around 5 years now and beyond needing to tighten the arm rest screws once a year or so I've had no issues with it. I really don't think you'd find much better for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Markus seems like it is fairly popular so far. The only thing that would bother me would be the fixed armrests. When I'm playing using KB+M I have my armrests down but if I pick up a controller for single player game I tend to have my elbows sticking out which I need to lift the armrests up for.

I do like the height of the back and the price is very reasonable too.

Nice setup too btw.

if you're close, you can try all the ikea ones out in store - get a feel yourself

yea I was hessitant about the arm rests - and they're how the back of the chair is attached to the base, so they cant be removed

• Advertisement

I'm in Limerick so it would be a bit of a trek just for a chair. I might have a look to see what others they have and make a list so if I do get up that side I'll know what to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

3wayswitch wrote: »
    Another Markus user here for my battlestation:

JkpgyLV.jpg

Have it around 5 years now and beyond needing to tighten the arm rest screws once a year or so I've had no issues with it. I really don't think you'd find much better for the price.

How how how do u keep it that tidy???

On the chair an aeron is the only way to go, if u can get one reasonably priced,

cadete wrote: »

On the chair an aeron is the only way to go, if u can get one reasonably priced,

I don't think they will ever be reasonably priced but I have heard they are the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

cadete wrote: »

The desk has a cable management system which holds all my cables and plug boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Maguined wrote: »
    I am currently using the Markus but I broke one of the arm rests and the height is constantly dropping down so am looking into alternatives myself.

10 Year warranty on it (one of the screws sheered on my arm rest) so get on to them. If not and you're in Dublin let me know when you're selling it please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

My gaming binges sometimes go on all day and I tend to get pains in the top of my back so methinks its time to get a new chair and flash the cash for a decent one.

I'd be especially appreciative to hear from taller guys as I am 6'3" with broad shoulders which I think is one of the reasons the chair doesn't suit as the top of my back is at the head rest.

Any and all recommendations welcome!

I have a Herman Miller Aeron (large) and I'm of a similar build; just shy of 6'3", wide shoulders, etc. You can pick the chair up on ebay; but bide your trime with it and you'll get one for around £170-250 that's in very good condition with all the trimmings (headrest, arm-rest, adjustable lumbar, etc). It's a bit more than what you'll pay for some cheapie, but the chair is an investment in your back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Markus user here for about 4 years now? Maybe five. All I know is that I still have plenty of warranty left, and was toying of using it lately.

The gap thing on the chair is acting up a little, and it doesn't seem to be going as high as I liked it, and its just gradually dropping down. Too many pies probably on my part : /

The armrests have become to be a problem I live with. My elbows are absolutely wrecked from them. The way my desk height is, I have to wrest my elbows on the arms in order to use the KB+Mouse properly, but its absolutely ruined the skin on my elbows to the point the skin is broken and very sore.

Also possibly due to that problem with the height dropping, or the cushioning maybe wearing out a bit, I'm getting some mad pains in my lowerback/arsecheek after a few hours gaming.

To be honest it's 4-5 years old and gets a serious amount of use, like, easily 40 hours a week, so I've gotten a pretty good return on it already. If the nuisances keep up I'll get in touch with IKEA to see how the warranty works, cause I definitely dont have the receipt, and although pretty sure the chair hasn't been on sale in Ireland for over 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There is actually a weight limit on that chair believe it or not. All I know is technically I'm to fat for it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wossack wrote: »
    yea I was hessitant about the arm rests - and they're how the back of the chair is attached to the base, so they cant be removed

Yes, they can. They simply screw into the side of the seat part of the chair, so can simply be screwed off. I've removed mine, as they just get in the way at times.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Yes, they can. They simply screw into the side of the seat part of the chair, so can simply be screwed off. I've removed mine, as they just get in the way at times.

oh, hah, after a bit of googling, it looks like I actually have a Malkolm, not a Markus :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

ikea markus - pretty popular round here afaik

great for the money imo

Would this be a good option for someone who sits at a desk alot and does occassional gaming ?
    I currently have a Viking Direct Berlin chair but its not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Has anyone tried them chairs that look like racing car chairs. Can get ones on amazon for less than £100. I'm always wary of stuff that seems so flashy though.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Would this be a good option for someone who sits at a desk alot and does occassional gaming ?
    I currently have a Viking Direct Berlin chair but its not very good.

Im pretty happy with mine. My only complaint would be for a bit more lumbar support, and better arm rests - they're quite thin, and like another poster above, I use mine alot when gaming, so can get sore elbows after very long sessions

mines a fabric one - didnt fancy the faux leather personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Im pretty happy with mine. My only complaint would be for a bit more lumbar support, and better arm rests - they're quite thin, and like another poster above, I use mine alot when gaming, so can get sore elbows after very long sessions

mines a fabric one - didnt fancy the faux leather personally

Thanks ,I will check it out in the Ikea store next time I'm up that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I have an M class one of these http://www.dxracer.net/.
    Best purchase I have made chair wise.
    Over a year now and still as comfortable as the day i first sat on it. Its highly adjustable which is 100% a must for a chair you will sit in for more than an hour at a time.
    Build quality is top notch yeah the colours aren't to everyone's liking but meh the comfort and no back/muscle/arse pains make up for that . I have also fallen asleep in it when its tilted back and its not bad for a quick nap ;)

Spend good money on a chair now rather than on a doctor/physio later.

• Advertisement

I would love to get a Dx Racer might have to save up for a bit though.
    I quite like the classification guide aswel quick and easy to read. I will have to look into it to see which one would suit me best.

Advertisement