Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting rent book at end of tenancy

Options
  • 29-09-2015 2:38pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to know as I can't seem to find a definitive answer, if I can request a rentbook that goes over at least the last few months of my tenancy as I am just finishing up and moving back home for a while.

I'd like to have it for future reference and possible applications where it may be handy to point to regular outgoing payments.

Moved into a house share 2 years ago and naively forgot to request then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Saudade

Hi Weepsie,

Yes, you're fully legally entitled to a rent book. It's illegal for your landlord to deny you receipts or statements.

If you paid your rent by direct debit or standing order, then at least you already have a digital copy of your transactions which should appear on your bank statements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Saudade wrote: »
    Hi Weepsie,

Yes, you're fully legally entitled to a rent book. It's illegal for your landlord to deny you receipts or statements.

If you paid your rent by direct debit or standing order, then at least you already have a digital copy of your transactions which should appear on your bank statements.

Cheers, paid by bank transfer end of each month so do have that to fall back on.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you have a lease and you pay by DD then the landlord is under no obligation to sign a rent book I think. Your lease specifies how much rent to be paid, how it is to be paid and how frequently it is to be paid.

If you have the bank statements (which you do) it's completely irrelevant anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

awec wrote: »
    If you have a lease and you pay by DD then the landlord is under no obligation to sign a rent book. Your lease specifies how much rent to be paid, how it is to be paid and how frequently it is to be paid.

If you have the bank statements (which you do) it's completely irrelevant anyway.

Cheers, I won't have to ask so as I have the lease, I just wasn't entirely sure to be honest.

Advertisement