Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iCloud help please

• 29-09-2015 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Ok, my iPhone needed updating to IOS9 but didn't have enough storage due to the hundreds of pics and vids that were on the phone so I said I'd back up all my photos etc to my iCloud account..... That took hours to do and when it was completed I then deleted all my photos and vids giving me the space to update my phone. Now I don't know how to access all my photos that I backed up........ Please don't tell me I've lost all my pics!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

spursfan79 wrote: »
    Ok, my iPhone needed updating to IOS9 but didn't have enough storage due to the hundreds of pics and vids that were on the phone so I said I'd back up all my photos etc to my iCloud account..... That took hours to do and when it was completed I then deleted all my photos and vids giving me the space to update my phone. Now I don't know how to access all my photos that I backed up........ Please don't tell me I've lost all my pics!!!!!!!

You can log into your icloud from laptop/device at https://www.icloud.com/ using your appleID and password to view all stored items. I'm sure they're safe.

Unfortunately, pic sizes are increasing hugely with advances in camera quality. iOS now offers an 'optimized storage' option whereby all pics stored locally are transferred to the cloud and a local low def copy is stored on the phone. Done this on my daughters iphone 5C in the last few weeks. 3.5GB of photos were reduced to I think around 700MBs which makes a huge difference when you are playing with an 8GB handset that only affords the user with 5GB of useable space.

Settings > Icloud > photos > optimize iphone storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Also for future (and this is just general advice):

Don't delete anything until you test your backups. An untested backup is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When it comes to iCloud, never delete anything period unless you don’t want it.

iCloud Backup is just that: a backup. If you delete the original copy and backup again, it may overwrite the previous backup. Bye bye photos.

iCloud Photo Library uses syncing. So if you delete on one devices, it gets deleted on all other devices as well, including iCloud. Again, bye bye photos. (However, deleted photos should be stored for 30 days in the Recently Deleted album.) The correct way to use iCloud Photo Library is as dodzy suggested above: by enabling Optimise iPhone Storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Im21Iswear

Ok, so if you weren't using icloud photo library, you won't find the pics at icloud.com

First thing you need to do is turn OFF icloud back ups for your iphone
    If the phone continues to back up to icloud (without the photos) the backup containing the photos will be overwritten

Next you will have to erase your iphone and set it up again, restoring it from the icloud backup that contains the pics

Please check you have a backup before erasing!

Advertisement