Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for some advice/information as a beginner

• 29-09-2015 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Im looking for some advice and information. Im looking to get my first bike in the next few months, but theres a few things that i’d like to clarify from those of you with knowledge in the area

My main reason for getting a motorbike, is for work and college. I live in a pretty rural area where there isn’t any close public transport, hence why im really looking into this as a viable option for me. I've also wanted one, ever since i was little, and i can finally afford to invest in one.

So obviously, i need my license, and i need to do an IBT course, right? And after that i should be able to drive on the road, along with having all the safety gear. Is there anything else that i need to do, or look into? Even if not, is there anything recommended that i should do?

Also, with bike sizes, i know that because im under 24 (im 22) im going to be restricted, but ive heard that i can ride up to a 250cc bike. Is that the right engine size that i can ride? I’ve heard others say that its 125cc so i want to be 100% sure on what it is. I've been looking at CBR125r's, CBR250rr's, YZFr125's, YZF250's and Ninja 250's along with some Hyosung125's. So i've been looking into both engine sizes.

I know that with road tax its a bit different to cars, so is insurance the same, or can i get covered with the usual companies like Axa and Aviva?

Apologies for the most basic questions, but i dont know many, if any people, that own a motorbike, so trying to find certain answers has been difficult enough.

Thanks in advance biggrin.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

A lot of your answers are in the stickies.

Yes, it's license, then IBT, then you're away. 6 months waiting and then the test.

At 22 you can get an A2 license, which isn't 250cc as such, it's more to do with the power of the bike in kW and power/weight ratio - See the list here: http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

You can get your full A license after 2 years on an A2 by doing the IBT module 5 on an A bike, no second test.

There are specific insurers for bikes - have a look in the stickies.

Also, Shameless plug: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl9G7hBQk0LZ-YlE4V7Q2sbevruhd3g4Y

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Mce was cheapest for me but large excess try and get an assessment when doing you're ibt for liberty too they're generally one of the cheapest. Have a look at hornets too (bike I have) same engine as the 250rr but cheaper to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Thanks guys. Definitely gonna have a look into both of your advice, and the sticky thread!

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Mce was cheapest for me but large excess try and get an assessment when doing you're ibt for liberty too they're generally one of the cheapest. Have a look at hornets too (bike I have) same engine as the 250rr but cheaper to insure.

Yep, Liberty can be very cheap, especially with an assesment (grade 2 got me 30% off). Also 10% if your car or home is with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bobcranfret

gerrowadat wrote: »

Yes, it's license, then IBT, then you're away. 6 months waiting and then the test.

At 22 you can get an A2 license, which isn't 250cc as such, it's more to do with the power of the bike in kW and power/weight ratio - See the list here: http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

You can get your full A license after 2 years on an A2 by doing the IBT module 5 on an A bike, no second test.

Also, Shameless plug: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl9G7hBQk0LZ-YlE4V7Q2sbevruhd3g4Y

Like the OP, I would like to get the correct learner permit to ride a 250cc bike. I note that there are no examples of 250cc bikes in the RSA list of representative bikes. Am I correct in saying that, to ride a 250cc bike, I would get an A2 permit to allow me to ride that bike, but for the A2 test I would have to rent a larger bike? I find it all very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Like the OP, I would like to get the correct learner permit to ride a 250cc bike. I note that there are no examples of 250cc bikes in the RSA list of representative bikes. Am I correct in saying that, to ride a 250cc bike, I would get an A2 permit to allow me to ride that bike, but for the A2 test I would have to rent a larger bike? I find it all very confusing.

For the test it just has to have a displacement above 395cc and produce more than 20kw and less than 35kw. It also has to have a power to weight ratio less than 0.2kW/kg. So you have to look past the cc displacement of the engines

Your A2 provisional (with IBT) would allow you to ride a 250cc on the road as long as it has less than 35kW of power

Yes, you're correct. Once you do the IBT itself and your test on an A2 bike, you can ride anything your license covers outside of that, even a 50cc scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bobcranfret

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Reventon93 wrote: »
    Is there anything else that i need to do, or look into? Even if not, is there anything recommended that i should do?

I read that you can complete the IBT course over a Sat/Sun. Which, though far, far better than the situation when I started out, represents a very small amount of training for what can only be described as a risky pursuit.

Now I know that you can't sit with a trainer on our tail for 6 months but I wouldn't be letting the grass grow under your motorcycling feet before I'd be looking at further training. You're at your most vulnerable in these early days so anything you can do to protect yourself ought be done. And training and practice is perhaps the single best action you could take.

Take it very easy in the early months, staying away from busy, traffic heavy/congested road and times (if such a thing exists down your way). Try to rack up miles and miles on relatively clear roads, roads without much by way of traffic/business activity (which produces unexpected events) - your focus initially can't help but landing on the mechanics of riding a bike. But its awareness (or road craft) of what's going on around you that serves a ride most. The easier a time your give yourself in choice of roads you travel will allow the mechanical use of the bike and roadcraft to sink in. You'll encounter enough hazards to have to deal with anyway.

Bikes are exhilarating and there's the pull of winding it open. Try to avoid this, sticking to speed limits and erring on the side of slower (but no so as to cause traffic to pile up behind you) - since it frequently isn't advisable even for an experienced ride to ride at the speed limit. It's a limit, not a target.

It takes many, many years to become experienced enough to have a good chance of handling that which can come at you. Retain your respect for your limitations, even when you've a few years up and might begin to think you've mastered this.

And keep the training up throughout. There's only one thing that's going to really help you have a long biking career / sound body and that's experience. The faster you can build that up, which training helps do, the better.

All the very best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I read that you can complete the IBT course over a Sat/Sun. Which, though far, far better than the situation when I started out, represents a very small amount of training for what can only be described as a risky pursuit.

That's why it's called IBT - Initial Basic training. It's only basic, to get you riding on a bike, and it's only your initial training. After that, you need to practice, practice, practice, before you would be anywhere near ready for a test.

I agree that further training is very useful. I recently did more training, and have learned some more on how to improve my riding. City commute is never fun and holds more risks than relaxed country riding. But, since you are tested in an urban environment, that is where you need to prepare for your test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Now I know that you can't sit with a trainer on our tail for 6 months but I wouldn't be letting the grass grow under your motorcycling feet before I'd be looking at further training. You're at your most vulnerable in these early days so anything you can do to protect yourself ought be done. And training and practice is perhaps the single best action you could take.

Take it very easy in the early months, staying away from busy, traffic heavy/congested road and times (if such a thing exists down your way). Try to rack up miles and miles on relatively clear roads, roads without much by way of traffic/business activity (which produces unexpected events) - your focus initially can't help but landing on the mechanics of riding a bike. But its awareness (or road craft) of what's going on around you that serves a ride most. The easier a time your give yourself in choice of roads you travel will allow the mechanical use of the bike and roadcraft to sink in. You'll encounter enough hazards to have to deal with anyway.

Bikes are exhilarating and there's the pull of winding it open. Try to avoid this, sticking to speed limits and erring on the side of slower (but no so as to cause traffic to pile up behind you) - since it frequently isn't advisable even for an experienced ride to ride at the speed limit. It's a limit, not a target.

It takes many, many years to become experienced enough to have a good chance of handling that which can come at you. Retain your respect for your limitations, even when you've a few years up and might begin to think you've mastered this.

And keep the training up throughout. There's only one thing that's going to really help you have a long biking career / sound body and that's experience. The faster you can build that up, which training helps do, the better.

All the very best.

Definitely some very useful info in your post, and what i was looking for in advice.

To get to work/college, it can either be on main roads or side roads. Id be leaving either really early in the morning or late in the evening when roads should be fairly quiet, so that should hopefully get me used to riding in a less stressful situation. All while building up some decent experience.

Also, with winter coming up, thats going to be some valuable experience of driving in frosty (possibly icy) weather and trying to manage different conditions.

I'm just excited at this point to get going (safely, of course) and just enjoy the whole experience.

To get to work/college, it can either be on main roads or side roads. Id be leaving either really early in the morning or late in the evening when roads should be fairly quiet, so that should hopefully get me used to riding in a less stressful situation. All while building up some decent experience.

Also, with winter coming up, thats going to be some valuable experience of driving in frosty (possibly icy) weather and trying to manage different conditions.

Just watch out for the dark mornings and then the frost/ice. A spill in those conditions can shake you, never mind do you damage. I commute, across the city, early morning. Traffic is very light. I then come home early afternoon, just when schools break.

Get plenty of practice and confidence in, before you hit the wet and frosty weather. I am still very very cautious in the wet. I can feel the bike when it hits patches of less grip. But, keep your head and you should be able to keep control.

I've a thread of my year of learning so far, maybe something in there might help you too - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057268760

Paulw wrote: »
    That's why it's called IBT - Initial Basic training. It's only basic, to get you riding on a bike, and it's only your initial training. After that, you need to practice, practice, practice, before you would be anywhere near ready for a test.

I'd recommend practice/ training/practice straight after the IBT. The test isn't your primary focus. Staying alive is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I'd recommend practice/ training/practice straight after the IBT. The test isn't your primary focus. Staying alive is.

If anything I would've thought it would be better to take the test as close to your IBT as possible while all that training is fresh in your head and you haven't developed any bad habits. Surely the longer you leave it off the more likely it is to develop bad habbits?

Once you pass your test then you can begin exploring more detailed training.

Assuming you're using an alternative means of transport to fulfill your requirements at the moment you might consider reverting to it temporarily and leaving riding in the frost and ice until such time as you've gained experience riding on wet, greasy roads.

The latter represents a step-wise introduction to dealing with the former.

Better than jumping straight into what represents the most challenging and unpredictable of road conditions (along with diesel around a corner)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I started Training in November and during the winter. For me it was perfect as when summer rolled around it was a dream.

The key is time in the saddle, and training. And as pointed out already go for the test as soon as you can. That is what i did. But time in the saddle is very valuable.

If it seems too frosty or icy, or you're just going to be panicky and not relaxed, don't bother. If you've another mode of transport, use it. Whatever about whether you're going to be able for it, pushing beyond what you think you're capable of often ends up a self-fulfilling prophecy. Obviously you want to be pushing yourself a bit, but know the limits.

listermint wrote: »
    I started Training in November and during the winter. For me it was perfect as when summer rolled around it was a dream.

The key is time in the saddle, and training. And as pointed out already go for the test as soon as you can. That is what i did. But time in the saddle is very valuable.

I was fairly similar. I did my IBT last Nov. But, haven't done my test yet. It's booked for this month.

I am a hell of a lot more confident now on the bike, and know there are a few areas that I need to improve on to give myself a better chance at the test. I am glad I waited, but if I fail the test, I will probably wait until Feb/Mar before I try again, in the hope that the weather is decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Paulw wrote: »
    I was fairly similar. I did my IBT last Nov. But, haven't done my test yet. It's booked for this month.

I am a hell of a lot more confident now on the bike, and know there are a few areas that I need to improve on to give myself a better chance at the test. I am glad I waited, but if I fail the test, I will probably wait until Feb/Mar before I try again, in the hope that the weather is decent.

You wont fail. Saddle time is the only thing that will stand to you, Testers are looking for Confidence and awareness, display both and you will be a shoe in.

And above all be at one with the bike, Know the bike .

Spend 1 hour each evening about 2 weeks before the test date literally driving in circles both directions in a car park. work on it until you get the turn as tight as you can (without feet down) and it will stand to you in terms of knowing the bikes weight and fall points. Its all in the throttle control and the rear brake. Over and over both directions.

The deploy the same knowledge of the bikes weight to your Test Uturn and your confidence on the bike.

Afterall its just some guy following you around a route. Its easy stuff.

Keey safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Keep the videos coming. Dont suppose you wear an orange helmet?

• Advertisement

Keep the videos coming. Dont suppose you wear an orange helmet?

Nope, white. Although I've seen a lad on an identical GS with an orange helmet on the N4 once or twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Nope, white. Although I've seen a lad on an identical GS with an orange helmet on the N4 once or twice.

Ah we seen the same bloke so. :P

Advertisement