Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

derekbro wrote: »
    I'm using the broker killers1 recommended on here on boards and it has been so much smoother than the first time I applied directly to the Banks. I am self employed and it was such a pain the first time and took over 3 months. With Killers 1 it was about 3 weeks.

Be great if you could send me the details please? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

listermint wrote: »
    Dont, its stupidly expensive and not competitive.

Zurich are doing some solid insurance deals presently.

The banks are in fact using Zurich underwriting and adding their own something something on top....

Thanks gonna check out Zurich. It was just interesting seeing that BOI report where so many people are buying their services. But I think it's just laziness/ exhaustion as someone already mentioned.

I just have to find a good surveyor now. If anyone can recommend in Cork it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Henrys Grimey Paws

I'm a first time buyer looking to buy a house with my gf, problem is that I started a new job at the end of last year so won't complete my 6 month probationary period until next month. Is it possible for us to get AIP (or at least even start the process) prior to completing my probationary period or will the banks just flat out refuse to until I've been in my job 6 months?

I'm aware to be fully approved I'd need to have been in the role 6 months but wondering can we get the ball rolling on AIP now?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm a first time buyer looking to buy a house with my gf, problem is that I started a new job at the end of last year so won't complete my 6 month probationary period until next month. Is it possible for us to get AIP (or at least even start the process) prior to completing my probationary period or will the banks just flat out refuse to until I've been in my job 6 months?

I'm aware to be fully approved I'd need to have been in the role 6 months but wondering can we get the ball rolling on AIP now?

Isn't much ball rolling unless you have deposit up and running in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AIP takes a day from some lenders, there's no real hurry. That said you can start making appointments and getting your paperwork together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

listermint wrote:
    Isn't much ball rolling unless you have deposit up and running in full.

Gift letter from parents works in lieu of deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gift letter from parents works in lieu of deposit.

Won't be working in full unless proof of funds are transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Anyone else notice that prices have gone up a good 30-40k in the last 6-8 months. I'd my house up in the summer at 290k little or no interest. Sale agreed the other week at 326k lots of interest. Looking to buy in the ballycullen/ firhouse area and everything up there has jumped by the same amount.

Yep huge rises in certain segments in the market. It's a knock on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Massive rises. Had an appointment to view a house today, the first viewing was Sat. Price has gone from 225k to 254k

• Advertisement

We know we're fecked when it hits one bed apartments. I'll let you know if I sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FinanceDublin

Bradz213 wrote: »
    Massive rises. Had an appointment to view a house today, the first viewing was Sat. Price has gone from 225k to 254k

Yep, most remarkable increases in last 2 months since I've been ambiently watching market in 2014. Frustrating, not quite at deposit saved level yet and just feel like the finish line is stretching a little further away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Anyone else notice that prices have gone up a good 30-40k in the last 6-8 months. I'd my house up in the summer at 290k little or no interest. Sale agreed the other week at 326k lots of interest. Looking to buy in the ballycullen/ firhouse area and everything up there has jumped by the same amount.

Fully agree, and I'd even say the majority of the increases are since janruary.

Houses have gone from (for example) €500k to €575k in three months from what I'm seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

Bandara wrote: »
    Fully agree, and I'd even say the majority of the increases are since janruary.

Houses have gone from (for example) €500k to €575k in three months from what I'm seeing

I'd agree with this. I've really noticed it since January. Houses that were in our budget end of last year are now suddenly getting out of reach. It's so disheartening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

boris1234 wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. I've really noticed it since January. Houses that were in our budget end of last year are now suddenly getting out of reach. It's so disheartening.

Is this both in new and second-hand homes or just new?

pilly wrote: »
    Is this both in new and second-hand homes or just new?

I am only looking at second hand homes and have noticed it there. I would assume this is due to the central bank rules being relaxed for first time buyers therefore bringing more people into the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

From what I have seen in Dublin, if a property is well presented and in a good location, you can add 10-15% of the asking price. Prices on Daft etc do not accurately reflect what's going on in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I have noticed houses are going Sale Agreed quicker too. Noticed it on my way to and from work, i always note when a For Sale sign goes up and i have noticed maybe two weeks after Sale Agreed was on two of the houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I wonder if the start of the year has allowed banks to issue more exemptions to the CB rules again.
    I think each institution has a limit of exemptions it can use.
    May account for the rise in prices.
    In general, I know many people who are reaching their savings goals and are ready to buy.

I'm currently looking to appoint a solicitor. Does the location on the solicitor matter? I assume everything will be done via phone, email and post or will I have to ever meet face to face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

I'm currently looking to appoint a solicitor. Does the location on the solicitor matter? I assume everything will be done via phone, email and post or will I have to ever meet face to face?

Dont think it matters tbh. We're buying in Dublin but our solicitor is in Naas and theres been no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

You will have to meet to sign contracts etc. You wouldn't want them based too far away, but yes, you won't be meeting them regularly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

You will have to sign contracts. Also we had to call into our solicitor as a couple to discuss some issues with our solicitor - it was impossible to do it over the phone so i would personally want to be close enough to my solicitor.

Also i think local knowledge is vital for the solicitor - our solicitor knew what all the estate agents in the area were like (we went through two sale agreeds with her before we actually got our house). She also knew the vendors solicitor and how to handle him.

The development that I was looking at have quotations from a couple of local solicitors which seem reasonable (€900 for fee, cicra €2200 all in). I was just wary of using ones recommended by the Estate Agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Going to view a house next week. I think it could be a house owned by a bank.

Does the EA usually tell you this if you ask?

I'm interested in it but if bank own it, it probably means that my opening bid will be a little less than I would have bid for a private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Going to view a house next week. I think it could be a house owned by a bank.

Does the EA usually tell you this if you ask?

I'm interested in it but if bank own it, it probably means that my opening bid will be a little less than I would have bid for a private sale.

Yes they do. Ask them they will tell you.

Just wondering of peoples experiences when bidding on a house in Dublin. Are you normally asked for proof of mortgage etc?

We have bid on a quite a few houses recently and we haven't been asked once for proof of mortgage. Some barely even ask what our situation is i.e. FTB with approval or second time buyer etc.

The system is just way too easy to abuse and drive up prices when someone may not actually be in a position to bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

going through online application process soon with bank - told it takes 45 mins. Any prep needed other than having all my files in order ?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

boris1234 wrote: »
    Just wondering of peoples experiences when bidding on a house in Dublin. Are you normally asked for proof of mortgage etc?

We have bid on a quite a few houses recently and we haven't been asked once for proof of mortgage. Some barely even ask what our situation is i.e. FTB with approval or second time buyer etc.

The system is just way too easy to abuse and drive up prices when someone may not actually be in a position to bid.

I contacted an estate agent expressing interest in a house but explained I didn't have formal approval yet. went to view the house and the estate agent was pushing me to bid knowing I didn't even have formal approval.

I think they are using people without approval to push up bids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

I know we cant get too excited yet, but month after we got AIP we have Sale Agreed on a house from Saturday.

Despite paid.
    Houee marked online Sale Agreed
    Solicitor contacted
    Surveyour planned for this Thursday
    Life insurance organised since last year

and now...
    Our approval in principle and whole application process was organised online and over the phone with BOI representative. Usually the girl was fast with replying to all our questions.
    Yesterday I sent email with all details about property we sale agreed and that we want go further for full mortgage approval, but no answer yet. 2 days quiet and we would like to move on with sending documents.
    Tomorrow I will make a call, instead of sending another email.

Does anyone knows what kind of documents we will need to get a full mortgage approval ?

Do I have to contact already our broker about adding mortgage protection to our life insurance?
    When is the best time to get a home insurance? I can really imagine paying for this even we did not get a mortgage yet.

All replies will be much appreciated.

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement