Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

From sale agreed to deal done took about 4/5 months in my case.

That said, finding the right place took a lot longer. I also had previous properties that I'd been sale agreed fall through for various reasons which I wont go in to, but needless to say there are no guarantees with property and timelines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

bro started toying with idea of buying house in jan, went sale agreed on a place mid feb, got keys start april. just saying. it can go v quick sometimes. bear in mind also that once bank valuation is done the mortgage has to be drawn down within 2 months commonly or another valuation required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Sorry for the stupid question but if a bank only values the house at 200 and the current offer on the house if 220 does that mean they'll only give you a mortgage for 90% of the 200?

Well I'm not too sure, because they might question your reasoning for paying over the odds for a property and then decide that you don't have good financial sense.

Technically though, the reason for the valuation is only to ensure (as much as is possible) that if you default that the bank can cover their losses by repossessing and selling the property, therefore it has to be worth at least as much as the loan, and they'd probably want some wiggle room to cover costs etc.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Well I'm not too sure, because they might question your reasoning for paying over the odds for a property and then decide that you don't have good financial sense.

Technically though, the reason for the valuation is only to ensure (as much as is possible) that if you default that the bank can cover their losses by repossessing and selling the property, therefore it has to be worth at least as much as the loan, and they'd probably want some wiggle room to cover costs etc.

Friend of mine went sale agreed on a house, bank came in and valued it lower than the sale agreed price. They ended up re-negotiating with the seller on the basis that the house was overpriced. Though im sure that exception rather than the norm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

So we won our appeal, we'll sort of. Got an offer less the amount we were looking for. Now other banks have said that amount to us before so it wasn't a shock. When bidding for a house how much less should you offer? Let's say a house is 150000k offer 130k?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That's an impossible question Santy2015.

We offered over 20k below asking to flush out the real price the vendor wanted and met them 10k below asking. I'd be surprised if you'd be able to knock 20k off an 150k house but there are so many factors to be taken into account (is the vendor in a chain? Will they reduce asking for a cash / first time buyer? are they in a hurry to sell? Are they asking high and hoping for offers close to it, or asking low and hoping to kick off a bidding war? Is their valuation of their property way out of line with reality? etc. etc. etc.

Sleepy wrote: »
    That's an impossible question Santy2015.

We offered over 20k below asking to flush out the real price the vendor wanted and met them 10k below asking. I'd be surprised if you'd be able to knock 20k off an 150k house but there are so many factors to be taken into account (is the vendor in a chain? Will they reduce asking for a cash / first time buyer? are they in a hurry to sell? Are they asking high and hoping for offers close to it, or asking low and hoping to kick off a bidding war? Is their valuation of their property way out of line with reality? etc. etc. etc.

Sorry never gave much details. They want 150k finished but on the property price register just before Xmas one of the same houses sold for 120k now I know prices have gone up in the last few months but 30k seems excessive. On these houses as well, we viewed them a few weeks back and one of the houses next to the one we were looking at was sale agreed and had men working in the house on the day. Since then I took a spin up to them and that exact house is now for sale again. I kinda think the developer is playing a game but that's doubtful. He has been noted in the past as being a bit of an ass, couple I know were asked to pay 10k more after going sale agreed and took them 7 months to get the keys( they didn't pay the 10k)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Hi there,

Not sure if there's a definite answer to my question but I'd be grateful for any information at all.

I bought a house with my brother in 2006. It's in negative equity now and over the years we fell short on a few monthly repayments but thankfully we're on top of that now and managing to pay the full mortgage each month. In total we were short on 3 monthly payments but still lodged every last penny we had. (i.e. our repayment was 1600 but we could only lodge 1000) It must be said that the bank were quite understanding at the time.

Now looking forward to the future I will be hoping to buy a house with my wife in the next few years. We're both saving away for a deposit at the moment with the credit union. She is a first time buyer but obviously I am not. Does this mean we'll most likely have to raise a 20% deposit? Also, will my negative equity home and 3 under-payments go badly against me when looking for approval?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

turniphead wrote: »
    Hi there,

Not sure if there's a definite answer to my question but I'd be grateful for any information at all.

I bought a house with my brother in 2006. It's in negative equity now and over the years we fell short on a few monthly repayments but thankfully we're on top of that now and managing to pay the full mortgage each month. In total we were short on 3 monthly payments but still lodged every last penny we had. (i.e. our repayment was 1600 but we could only lodge 1000) It must be said that the bank were quite understanding at the time.

Now looking forward to the future I will be hoping to buy a house with my wife in the next few years. We're both saving away for a deposit at the moment with the credit union. She is a first time buyer but obviously I am not. Does this mean we'll most likely have to raise a 20% deposit? Also, will my negative equity home and 3 under-payments go badly against me when looking for approval?

Thanks.

In short yes. You will need the 20% as you are not a full time buyer.

Are you planning to sell? If so how far in negative equity are you?

Unless you can pass stress tests by a good margin on the two mortgages I'd say you will seriously struggle to get a second mortgage. You have a history of struggling to pay one, that property is still in negative equity

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

In short yes. You will need the 20% as you are not a full time buyer.

Out of curiosity, does that mean if two people are buying and one is a first time buyer and the other is not, that one pays 10% and the other 20%, i.e. 15% in total deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

As far as I know, if one member of a couple applying for a mortgage is not a first time buyer, both are considered to be second time buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Out of curiosity, does that mean if two people are buying and one is a first time buyer and the other is not, that one pays 10% and the other 20%, i.e. 15% in total deposit?

No but if the name of the house goes under the person being the first time buyer, then it will be 10% (if they can afford the full mortgage by themselves). If its a joint application, it will be 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

turniphead wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks.

I'm in a similar boat. 20% is needed for a new mortgage!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

As far as I know, if one member of a couple applying for a mortgage is not a first time buyer, both are considered to be second time buyers.

This is correct - just to add to it as it was a surprise to me if you're in this situation.

The one party that is (technically still) a FTB in a joint application, is eligible to claim FTB DIRT relief from revenue, if you can prove what savings relate to that individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

This is a super silly question but I'm gonna ask anyway.

There's a house we really want to view, we have some time off work next Thursday and Friday (14th & 15th) Should I ring the estate agent now to try and make an appointment or wait till next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

This is a super silly question but I'm gonna ask anyway.

There's a house we really want to view, we have some time off work next Thursday and Friday (14th & 15th) Should I ring the estate agent now to try and make an appointment or wait till next week?

Ring now! The EA have more flexibility to make the viewing suit your needs - if possible - with the more notice you give him/her.

Or there may be an evening/weekend viewing that could suit you better!

Definitely ring and find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

ando wrote: »
    No but if the name of the house goes under the person being the first time buyer, then it will be 10% (if they can afford the full mortgage by themselves). If its a joint application, it will be 20%

Just to add to this, you cannot get a mortgage on your own if you're married.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

This is correct - just to add to it as it was a surprise to me if you're in this situation.

yeah, lived abroad between 2002-2010, never had any desire to buy a house/apt anywhere, came home, started renting, met someone, moved in together, got her pregnant, 5 months into her pregnancy get an email saying the landlord is moving back into the house (had a great relationship with the landlord and he was very apologetic btw but he couldn't afford the rent hike he had from his rental property). we now have a 1 month old. have absolutely no interest in buying but I never want to get turfed out of somewhere again especially since the arrival of the baby. the new PRTB rules to protect renters have done nothing but made things worse for renters IMO, just guarantees a rental increase every two years. My rent didnt go up the four years I was renting.

she has a house down the country which she bought way back, some small amount of equity in it but she wants to hang on to it as its paying for itself and has no private pension.

only way we see to possible to have a safe and secure future schools, clubs etc for our family is to buy although we don't want to. in recent weeks are considering longterm/potential permanent emigration. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Just to add to this, you cannot get a mortgage on your own if you're married.

You can get a mortgage on your own you just cant put down any of your other halves earnings savings etc as part of the application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Jen44 wrote: »
    You can get a mortgage on your own you just cant put down any of your other halves earnings savings etc as part of the application

No, if it's for the family home, then the other half would have an interest in the property by law and the bank would require the loan is assessed on both individuals.

You can get an investment property on your own but that would then be 30% deposit so there's no way of getting around the first time buyer deposit by applying on your own.

y
    only way we see to possible to have a safe and secure future schools, clubs etc for our family is to buy although we don't want to. in recent weeks are considering longterm/potential permanent emigration. <snip >

I can't see why you would rather pay rent than buy your own place to be honest or even go to the lengths of emigrating just to avoid owning your own place which most people strive for.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I can't see why you would rather pay rent than buy your own place to be honest or even go to the lengths of emigrating just to avoid owning your own place which most people strive for.

Because he can't afford it, perhaps? That's an increasing geopolitical reality, the number of people who can afford to own their own home will continue to decrease.

But then we get into the old argument of "shure just move to the country, it's cheaper" versus "I need to stay in Dublin for the jobs/amenities" and we go around in circles again.

PM Sent

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Because he can't afford it, perhaps? That's an increasing geopolitical reality, the number of people who can afford to own their own home will continue to decrease.

But then we get into the old argument of "shure just move to the country, it's cheaper" versus "I need to stay in Dublin for the jobs/amenities" and we go around in circles again.

The poster doesn't cite not being able to afford to buy rather not actually wanting to buy. I just find it a strange outlook and wondered why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Ring now! The EA have more flexibility to make the viewing suit your needs - if possible - with the more notice you give him/her.

Or there may be an evening/weekend viewing that could suit you better!

Definitely ring and find out!

Going for a look this Saturday. We don;t have our approval yet, husband will be in his jobs 6 months in 2 weeks time, then we can officially apply.

Spoke with a broker though and he reckons it should all be fine.

Really like the look of the place so hopefully having already viewed it, things will move a bit quicker when we can put in an offer. Currently living with MIL so desperate for things to move quickly :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Went sale agreed on a house this morning :)

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Went sale agreed on a house this morning :)

Congrats. :) what's people's opinions on end of terrace houses? It's a mixed estate with detected semi d and terrace. We viewed one earlier today I like it, it's a bit small but you can work with it, it's around 1100 sq foot. Herself likes it but not as much as me. But I reckon she'll come around. It's a lovely estate quite and there's zero social housing which I find strange but not giving out about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What's the aspect of the unattached wall?
    I've found if it's north facing the house will be freezing, south facing and it can be toasty warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

1100sq foot is small? :eek: We're buying a property of that size and thought it was pretty big for a modestly priced house in Dublin!

I'd consider an end of terrace house to be worth a premium over a terrace, having side access between the gardens is great for stuff like putting out bins, moving lawnmowers, kids bikes etc.

The aspect of the unattached wall is an interesting consideration but I'd imagine one that's easily sorted with extra insulation if it's North facing...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement