Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

teaontap wrote: »
    We finally got the full loan offer from EBS after months trying to sort out mortgage protection for my husband's dodgy heart. Eventually had to go through a UK company for a 10 year policy and sign documents with the back regarding our status when the policy expires.

Still no sign of the contracts from the house though which is so frustrating! Our offer had been accepted and booking deposit paid back in early January. Estate agent seems to think its possible the receiver hasn't even instructed their solicitor to prepare contracts yet.
    Really hoping we can get them soon and move along quickly from here!

can I ask what company you got protection through?

can I pm you?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭teaontap

barrier86 wrote: »
    can I ask what company you got protection through?

can I pm you?

Of course that's no problem at all. We got it through Pulse insurance in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

chrismon wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I nearly have my 10% deposit saved, I know I'll need 4-5k on top of this for solicitor etc.
    Can I apply when I have my 10% or will I need the extra saved at the time?

go now, no point in hanging around. time to getting the nod from the bank varies, so you might have the full amount saved by then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Hi all.
    I nearly have my 10% deposit saved, I know I'll need 4-5k on top of this for solicitor etc.
    If you go with one of the banks giving cashback, that will mostly cover the legal expenses for you too

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pedanticness

Hi all.
    For our approve in principal we only had about 7% of our deposit saved. New by the time we actually went to move to offer letter stage we'd have it. BOI had no issues with that. EBS / AIB did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If you go with one of the banks giving cashback, that will mostly cover the legal expenses for you too

Good point, I'm getting 6k back from the bank which will cover the solicitor fees and stamp duty. Have to wait another 5 years for the 3k back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

For our approve in principal we only had about 7% of our deposit saved. New by the time we actually went to move to offer letter stage we'd have it. BOI had no issues with that. EBS / AIB did.
    I'm getting my mortgage through AIB and at the time we applied for approval in principle, we didn't have enough to cover the deposit but as we were buying a new build, they could see based on our monthly savings that we would have enough to reach deposit by the time the house is built

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Hi all.

You don't get that cash for a few weeks after closing, well after you have to pay your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Speaking of cashback, when do you get this and how do you get it?
    I'm due cashback from BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

ELM327 wrote: »
    I was with PTSB and its automatically put into your account - think it was 21 working days or thereabouts

• Advertisement

With BOI you get 2% of the amount you borrow within 30 days of drawdown. Then in 5 years you get another 1%. Think EBS / PTSB are about 2% but not 100% sure about those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

PTSB just credited our account a week after we drew down, didn't need to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Do you get the cashback if you've gone with a different bank to where your current account is?

EDIT: It seems you do, but you don't get the "cashback plus" (3% instead of 2%)

"The 2% deal is still available to those who doesn’t have a current account"
    https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/mortgages/are-mortgage-cashback-offers-good-value/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Do you get the cashback if you've gone with a different bank to where your current account is?

EDIT: It seems you do, but you don't get the "cashback plus" (3% instead of 2%)

"The 2% deal is still available to those who doesn’t have a current account"
    https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/mortgages/are-mortgage-cashback-offers-good-value/

Article seems to be from 2017, but does anyone know if the table with the interest rate comparisons is still accurate?

EDIT: Calculator / comparion on the site is worth a look for anyone looking:

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-mortgages/

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

sarah88 wrote: »

Would anyone know if an AIP "saves" our exception with BOI. I'm getting pretty worried after seeing the above posts about BOI running out. Would appreciate any advice.

We were approved for an exemption (although we didn't need it in the end) and EBS told us that it would last until our approval ran out (6 months). I'm not sure if its the same with BOI though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Thanks all.
    I'll apply very soon so!

I have a 2k loan and herself has 6k left on her car loan, will that have much affect on our application?

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Thanks all.
    I'll apply very soon so!

I have a 2k loan and herself has 6k left on her car loan, will that have much affect on our application?

Thanks for all the help.

Yes your monthly repayment ability will be affected by your monthly loan payments. Which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Just got mortgage approved by Bank of Ireland. The 2% cashback is only valid if you drawdown by 31st June, so it's unlikely I'll be able to avail of it. Does anyone know if they're likely to extend this, or have another offer?

Just got mortgage approved by Bank of Ireland. The 2% cashback is only valid if you drawdown by 31st June, so it's unlikely I'll be able to avail of it. Does anyone know if they're likely to extend this, or have another offer?
    They've rolled it forwards twice already. I nearly missed it was it was due to expire in Dec 2017. But when we got to November they rolled it forward 6 months. My adviser in the bank said that they had no plans to get rid of it as it was bringing people in. That was before Fianna Fail started giving out about these cash back offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lillycakes2

Is there anywhere you can find a breakdown of what all the banks are offering (2018) so one could compare it, like interest rates, cash back offers etc. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks all.
    I'll apply very soon so!

Thanks for all the help.
    The monthly payments on loans are what they look at so if possible there's no harm rolling over the loans into a new one over a longer term.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭teaontap

Just got the call from the auctioneer to say the receiver is pulling out of the sale. Feel so deflated and defeated now after this has dragged on so much. Back to the drawing board again now with only 6 weeks before we need to vacate our current property I now need to find somewhere to rent and buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

You’ll get the 2% within 45 days of full draw down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sarn wrote: »
    You’ll get the 2% within 45 days of full draw down.

Less about 40% in DIRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

myshirt wrote: »
    Less about 40% in DIRT.

Since when is this a thing? We got the full 2% paid in about 2 - 3 weeks after draw down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

cloneslad wrote: »
    Less about 40% in DIRT.

Since when is this a thing? We got the full 2% paid in about 2 - 3 weeks after draw down.
    So did we!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Dovies wrote: »
    So did we!

Sorry, brain not working. I was thinking of their mortgage saver bonus.

• Advertisement

Sorry, brain not working. I was thinking of their mortgage saver bonus.

Think you scared the crap out of a few folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement