Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NearlyForty

Why wouldn't they? The only issue you'll have is the 3.5 rule but depending on where you are that may not be an issue. And the deposit of course.

Because I’ve been hearing from people that the bank won’t look at you unless you’re over the 80k mark, with which I would have thought was the average income.. I know with kids, they take a certain percentage off you too. Maybe I should stop listening to others and just go for it.. Each case is different I guess!
    AIB and BOI seem to be giving the best AIP that would be reasonable for us for where we are

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Because I’ve been hearing from people that the bank won’t look at you unless you’re over the 80k mark, with which I would have thought was the average income.. I know with kids, they take a certain percentage off you too. Maybe I should stop listening to others and just go for it.. Each case is different I guess! AIB and BOI seem to be giving the best AIP that would be reasonable for us for where we are

We dont earn 75k but were approved by 3 banks. But like previously said, we could only borrow 3.5 times salary and had to have deposit and proof of savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

My husband has 2 jobs - BOI have told us they can only take 3.5 x (my salary + 1 of his salaries) & 3.5 times x ( half the salary of his second salary). Is this the case with all lenders or is this a BOI specific rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Because I’ve been hearing from people that the bank won’t look at you unless you’re over the 80k mark, with which I would have thought was the average income.. I know with kids, they take a certain percentage off you too. Maybe I should stop listening to others and just go for it.. Each case is different I guess!
    AIB and BOI seem to be giving the best AIP that would be reasonable for us for where we are
    Generally it's €250 income disregard per child, after daycare etc, per month.

Just apply, the banks will tell you what they need you to change if they give you a no initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I'm gonna ask a very basic question here, but would just like clarification on how mortgages work exactly! (Have never even considered buying until recently). Lets say there's a house for sale for 300k and gross salary is 50k. So for a first time buyer, you'd need 10% deposit, so 30k. Then a loan of 270k over x number of years. However I've heard that the loan minus deposit is usually 3.5 times your salary. So in this case you'd only be able to get a loan of 175k. Have I got this right? If so, what if I wanted a loan of more than 3.5 times my salary, is that possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I'm gonna ask a very basic question here, but would just like clarification on how mortgages work exactly! (Have never even considered buying until recently). Lets say there's a house for sale for 300k and gross salary is 50k. So for a first time buyer, you'd need 10% deposit, so 30k. Then a loan of 270k over x number of years. However I've heard that the loan minus deposit is usually 3.5 times your salary. So in this case you'd only be able to get a loan of 175k. Have I got this right? If so, what if I wanted a loan of more than 3.5 times my salary, is that possible?

The limit is 3.5 times your salary.

Banks are allowed make exceptions on this up to 4.5x your salary, but it's on a case-by-case basis and obviously your ability to repay the larger mortgage is taken into account. The higher your salary (or joint salaries) and the lower your other commitments, the better chance you have. The banks have a limit on how much of their loan book can be made up of these "exception" based mortgages, and the consensus is that they are more liberal giving them out early in the year and then come April/May, they need to start balancing their loan book and are less likely to give them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Myself and my partner applied and are earning around the same as you, though we have no children. We used a broker, he brought our details to a few banks and came back with what they were willing to offer. We can now purchase up to 350k which isn't terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

The limit is 3.5 times your salary.

Banks are allowed make exceptions on this up to 4.5x your salary, but it's on a case-by-case basis and obviously your ability to repay the larger mortgage is taken into account. The higher your salary (or joint salaries) and the lower your other commitments, the better chance you have. The banks have a limit on how much of their loan book can be made up of these "exception" based mortgages, and the consensus is that they are more liberal giving them out early in the year and then come April/May, they need to start balancing their loan book and are less likely to give them out.

Thanks! I had never even heard of this x3.5 salary limit before. Will meet with some banks and see how I get on. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NearlyForty

Thanks all..!! The feed back is much appreciated..
    Even though I know your offer tends to be 3.5 your income, but some banks seem to be tighter with regards how much they’ll quote you when you have kids. I think that was the part that was worrying me more. When we multiply ours by 3.5 it comes out at 265k and take say 50k off that with 5 kids, that leaves us with roughly 215k.. So AIB and BOI came back with those quotes, yet PTSB and a few others came back with 105k or 150k, like that’s a huge chunk gone..crazy?!! Why do they differ so much

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The bank will test your ability to meet the monthly repayments. They look at your monthly income, then deduct for any existing loans etc. They then deduct a fixed amount per child. With 5 children, that deduction is going to be large enough.

Once that’s done, they have a number that they are confident you can repay each month. The offer you receive will be asked on that number.

So while you may on paper qualify for €250k, if you have a lot of monthly putgoings (which impact your ability to repay), they may only offer €105k.

Obviously I don’t know what’s going on in your particular case, but this could be one explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Myself and my partner saved our asses off for the last 3 years and got mortgage approved a couple of weeks ago, with an exception of up to 4.5 times our salaries. We don't need to borrow quite that much (we were looking for 4 times our salaries) but it was great news all the same.

Put a booking deposit down on a new build last week, exciting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Interest related question, with ECB looking very unlikely touching interest rates this year & quantative easing programme still operating by ECB.

Anyone taking out a mortgage this year are you fixing? We are just waiting on approval & see no issues with our circumstances so outside of buying our family home and moving, the next big decision to make is to fix or not?

I am looking at 5 year fixed rate, other people’s thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Interest related question, with ECB looking very unlikely touching interest rates this year & quantative easing programme still operating by ECB.

Anyone taking out a mortgage this year are you fixing? We are just waiting on approval & see no issues with our circumstances so outside of buying our family home and moving, the next big decision to make is to fix or not?

Talking to a mortgage advisor during the week and he told me everyone is fixing nowadays. I will defo be fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Talking to a mortgage advisor during the week and he told me everyone is fixing nowadays. I will defo be fixing.

I hope he didn't tell you to fix for two years which is possibly the worst advice you could give anyone at the moment. You'll be coming off a fixed rate smack bang into a time when interest rates will be on the up in a big way, and you may not be able to refix. Or at least that's how the futures market sees it.

I'd broadly advise someone to fix for 4 to 5 years, but all dependent on your own situation. Keep asking questions and keep an inquisitive mind. And best of luck with the gaff. All swings and roundabouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm fixing for 5 years, currently sale agreed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also fixing for 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Cheers for replies, like I said 5 years seems to offer best value at moment.

I chose 3 years fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I chose 3 years fixed.

Nothing wrong with that. But in my opinion it would be the minimum I'd fix for.

5 is a good number. 3 is not bad. Always take advice as it applies to your own situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

We also fixed for 5 with UB!

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    I hope he didn't tell you to fix for two years which is possibly the worst advice you could give anyone at the moment. You'll be coming off a fixed rate smack bang into a time when interest rates will be on the up in a big way, and you may not be able to refix. Or at least that's how the futures market sees it.

I'd broadly advise someone to fix for 4 to 5 years, but all dependent on your own situation. Keep asking questions and keep an inquisitive mind. And best of luck with the gaff. All swings and roundabouts!

No he didn’t say fix for 2 years just nearly everyone is fixing. I do like the idea of 5 years tbh, cheers.

Nothing wrong with that. But in my opinion it would be the minimum I'd fix for.

5 is a good number. 3 is not bad. Always take advice as it applies to your own situation.

Yeah that’s solid advice! I think the best option really varies from bank to bank. With AIB, the five year fixed rate was 3.5% and I didn’t think that was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Sale closed and finally got our keys! I never want to have to do that again. This will be our forever home for sure. Best of luck to everyone here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

Question for anyone who might know. We are sale agreed and have received our loan offer. Term on the loan offer is 35 years, as we agreed with the advisor at the time of meeting that we would apply for the maximum and could always reduce before drawdown.

Our preference is for a 32 year term, however, due to multiple delays with paperwork already, i'm minded not to request the bank change from 35 to 32 if it requires the loan offer packs to reissue, as I think we can overpay the monthy amount ourselves to effect this change (need to confirm this with the bank though).

Does anyone know if we were to request the change, would the bank do it via a branch/advisor request without any need for re-issuing of loan offer packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

No need to request any reduction. Just overpay if you like and you'll be done in 32 years anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No harm in leaving it as is and overpaying (assuming you can). Then if your circumstances ever change you can stop the overpayments without any difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

Cheers guys, this was the option that I was leaning towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the change the term, the calculations will have to be redone and the loan pack re-issued. It’s probably easier for you to overpay, subject to whatever Ts&Cs are in your contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Hi I'm just wondering myself and my partner are looking to buy are first house for around 200k or less if possible .we have also have land available to us to build on . I know how land is expensive but we are not sure if we should get a loan to build are own home on it or just buy a new build house to save the hassle of having to build one . I know I would be paying way over the price for a new build but my partner doesn't want the hassle of building are own home . I think we would be better to build as we would save alot more and out house would be are own designs and not be the same as every house. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

• Advertisement

Just looking at UB. There 2 year fixed rate is by far the best option for me, savings of around €63 per month compared to 5 years fixed. I’m very tempted tbh but understand there is a risk in 2 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement