Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

If you're buying a new build and Help-to-Buy is still available next year, the breakdown would be:

5% of 325k = €16,250 from you
    5% of 325k = €16,250 from Help-To-Buy
    1% Stamp Duty - 325k minus VAT = €286,343.6 * 1% = €2,863.43
    Solicitors Prof Fees = Estimate €1500 - €2000 (best to estimate high)
    Other Fees = approx. €1,500

So that'd be approx. €23,000 you'd need.

If Help to Buy is gone, or you're not buying a new build, then it would be:

10% of 325k = €32,500
    1% Stamp Duty = €3,250
    Solicitors Prof Fees = Estimate €1500 - €2000
    Other Fees = Approx. €1,500

So that'd be close to €40k. I'm only familiar with the purchase process for new builds, so apologies if my estimates re: other fees is incorrect.

They'd only need a mortgage on 90% of the 325k, which means they would need a combined salary of ~ €83.5k.

Exemptions can be given up to 4.5 times salary, so if you got the full exemption of 4.5, then a combined salary of €65k would do.

No idea what your repayment capacity is like - €1700 savings + €1200 rent would indicate a pretty good capacity, but no idea what other outgoings you have.

On the subject of help to build, does anyone have any tips for easily finding them? I may be blind, but on daft (app) i cannot see any option to filter for new builds only, i.e. eligible for the help to buy scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

givyjoe wrote: »
    On the subject of help to build, does anyone have any tips for easily finding them? I may be blind, but on daft (app) i cannot see any option to filter for new builds only, i.e. eligible for the help to buy scheme.

WWW.DAFT.IE/NEW-HOMES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

ELM327 wrote: »
    2 years permanency is the standard. You can use consecutive contracts as part of the permanency but banks will not allow you draw down unless you are permanent afair

2 years permanency is not the standard. Yes they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We've just been approved as FTB for 3.5x (salary+average regular bonuses) + deposit = purchase price.

We are looking for a 90% LTV mortgage. We didn't think we'd get the full amount based on salary as we are a single income family with one dependent, but neither seemed to make any difference in our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

2 years permanency is the standard.

I haven't seen this anywhere. Most banks will just go by whatever the Salary Cert says. I'm still on my probation, but my Salary Cert from my employer said I was full time. Had no issue getting approval, and that was with the banks being aware that I was only with the company only 5 months.

I'm sure if my Cert said that I was still on probation, I still would have gotten an offer but would have to prove permanency before drawing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CaptivePortal

hi all,

long time lurker finally in position to buy. just wondering about peoples experiences placing offers.

We placed on offer on a property yesterday to estate agent via email. We have not received any acknowledgement and when i rang their office today i was told the es was on another call and would call me back. this was 4 hours ago.

My question is: should we have received acknowledgment of the offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

2 years permanency is not the standard. Yes they will.
    Banks will allow you draw down if you are not permanent? Really?
    Show me that and I'll show you a bank that needs a new credit risk team.

Certainly. Someone on a rolling contract, or someone that is self employed. An IT contractor or a Ryanair pilot for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

2 years permanency is not standard. Once you are passed your probation (which is usually six months), it is enough for banks to give approval.

There are also people who are on contract work (depending on the field they are working in) who can also get mortgages.

You do not have to be permanent to get a mortgage, but it definitely helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

hi all,

long time lurker finally in position to buy. just wondering about peoples experiences placing offers.

We placed on offer on a property yesterday to estate agent via email. We have not received any acknowledgement and when i rang their office today i was told the es was on another call and would call me back. this was 4 hours ago.

My question is: should we have received acknowledgment of the offer?

Absolutely they should have acknowledged your offer. This is poor form by the EA.

• Advertisement

Certainly. Someone on a rolling contract, or someone that is self employed. An IT contractor or a Ryanair pilot for example
    Someone self employed needs to provide 2 years of accounts to show viability.

Rolling contract is a negative in your review which the underwriters will perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CaptivePortal

Absolutely they should have acknowledged your offer. This is poor form by the EA.

Thanks, they actually called not long after posting!

Someone self employed needs to provide 2 years of accounts to show viability.

No they don't, umbrella company directors for example are self employed but don't need to provide 2 years of accounts.

Rolling contract is a negative in your review which the underwriters will perform.

Yes, but it doesn't prevent them drawing down which was your original point. Th eonly negative is that it's the average of 3 years P60s which is used as the 3.5 x calculation.

No they don't, umbrella company directors for example are self employed but don't need to provide 2 years of accounts.

Yes, but it doesn't prevent them drawing down which was your original point. Th eonly negative is that it's the average of 3 years P60s which is used as the 3.5 x calculation.
    As a self employed director of a company my partner was advised she needed 2 years of accounts to prove income.

It's all very well and good posting on the internet that "they don't" but in the real world we were told we needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Do ulster bank request up to date payslips and bank statements before draw down if it is still within the 6 month period from loan offer

As a self employed director of a company my partner was advised she needed 2 years of accounts to prove income.

It's all very well and good posting on the internet that "they don't" but in the real world we were told we needed it.

You're giving a lot of advice based on your specific treatment.

I lot of what you have said is not true in our case. For example our purchase price was >4.5 times our income but we borrowed using a 3.8 LTI exemption!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

I am and I did have to provide 2 years of accounts for all banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭drinkingwater

loriexxx wrote: »
    Do ulster bank request up to date payslips and bank statements before draw down if it is still within the 6 month period from loan offer

They didn't ask for anything from us, draw down last Friday with UB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

We applied for a mortgage and we were informed by the lender that we got approval in principle and they would be sending out a letter today so we could go looking for houses.

We only needed €150,000 as we have the rest in savings. Will the approval in principle letter state the amount that we are approved for? It will be the first one we applied for so I'm not sure what to expect. If an estate agent asks for proof of funds when we place a bid, I'm worried it might look like we only have €150,000 to spend. I also don't want to show them bank statements because I don't' want them knowing our max budget. Not sure the procedure here.

Other question I had is regarding bids. There's a few houses up that are €10-€15k over our budget. Is there any point in looking at these houses and putting in an offer on them as long as there are no other bids yet? Or would it be a waste of time?

derekbro wrote: »
    I am and I did have to provide 2 years of accounts for all banks.

As am I, and I didn't for either EBS or KBC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

We applied for a mortgage and we were informed by the lender that we got approval in principle and they would be sending out a letter today so we could go looking for houses.

We only needed €150,000 as we have the rest in savings. Will the approval in principle letter state the amount that we are approved for? It will be the first one we applied for so I'm not sure what to expect. If an estate agent asks for proof of funds when we place a bid, I'm worried it might look like we only have €150,000 to spend. I also don't want to show them bank statements because I don't' want them knowing our max budget. Not sure the procedure here.

Other question I had is regarding bids. There's a few houses up that are €10-€15k over our budget. Is there any point in looking at these houses and putting in an offer on them as long as there are no other bids yet? Or would it be a waste of time?

Yes your AIP letter will state how much you've been approved for. If the estate agent asks for proof just send them the letter with the amount blacked out. We were never asked ourselves for proof of funds but that was advice I saw on here from other people when we were looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

hanaimai wrote: »
    Yes your AIP letter will state how much you've been approved for. If the estate agent asks for proof just send them the letter with the amount blacked out. We were never asked ourselves for proof of funds but that was advice I saw on here from other people when we were looking.

Makes sense, thanks for the advice. We will do that. I kind of thought they might not ask because most people I know were never asked but I know they could ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Bit of a crystal ball question but would you say the other banks will reconsider their fixed rates now that AIB has dropped theirs to 2.85%?

Bit of a crystal ball question but would you say the other banks will reconsider their fixed rates now that AIB has dropped theirs to 2.85%?

They might

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Makes sense, thanks for the advice. We will do that. I kind of thought they might not ask because most people I know were never asked but I know they could ask.

We just got our broker to send a letter saying we could afford the house and that was it. You could possibly ask the bank for similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If they will then it won't be for 8-12 months. A lot of the loan book is forward funded.

I'm not sure why people are making such a song and dance about AIBs rates when there is already better value in the market.

The 10 year rate is currently the best available so perhaps others might react to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Misssally

Question re deposit, second time buyer & most of our deposit is tied up in our current home. Do we have to finalise sale & move out etc before we put an offer on another house or is there any way to bridge the deposit? We’ve small kids so want to avoid having to move in with family if possible so any advice welcome!

• Advertisement

Misssally wrote: »
    Question re deposit, second time buyer & most of our deposit is tied up in our current home. Do we have to finalise sale & move out etc before we put an offer on another house or is there any way to bridge the deposit? We’ve small kids so want to avoid having to move in with family if possible so any advice welcome!

Whilst it is possible to buy and sell on the same day it is very difficult. I would be planning to have a week or two between buying and selling.

You don't need to have your own sale finalised before bidding but most EAs will want you to be at least sale agreed on your own house before considering your offer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement