Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

We had issues with the place we're selling, to do with our attic conversion.

What were the issues out of curiosity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

What were the issues out of curiosity ?

The original carpenter moved the trusses/joists. It would cause the structure to weaken. We had to reinstate.
    It wasn't something that we requested of the original carpenter. He was a family member, and thought they were doing us a "favour" by making the room bigger. It was a case that we came home from work and it was done, and we didn't know any better at the time, we were far too wet around the ears. More fool us.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Hi there,

I've just gone sale agreed and am looking around for a solicitor. First one has come back with a quote of €2700. Can anyone tell me if this is good or bad?

House is situated in south Dublin with a sale agreed price of €440k.

Fairly steep imo
    paid 1600e a few months back.
    I rang 4/5 different places and went with the cheapest .

Edit- was 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

South Dublin house. All fees and outlays excluding Stamp Duty came to just under €2.5k for us. June just gone.

That was broken down including land registry etc.

• Advertisement

North Wicklow house, less expensive than your own - just paid 3130 for everything (fee, VAT, closing searches, registration fee) excluding stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm buying in North Kildare. All solicitors quotes I received were between €2550 and €2750 including everything except stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Uglysoik1

Paid €4350 inc everything with stamp duty

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Offer submitted mid-May, sale agreed mid-June. Signing on Monday.

Could have signed weeks ago as no chain on either side but the vendors solicitor wouldn't answer a query and the agent was no help until we said we were pulling out because we weren't getting a response. Needless to say our solicitor got the response pretty quickly after that.

Vendors solicitor is trying to say we were playing games the entire time when they were the ones not responding to the queries.

Either way, delighted to be moving towards closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Offer submitted mid-May, sale agreed mid-June. Signing on Monday.

Could have signed weeks ago as no chain on either side but the vendors solicitor wouldn't answer a query and the agent was no help until we said we were pulling out because we weren't getting a response. Needless to say our solicitor got the response pretty quickly after that.

Vendors solicitor is trying to say we were playing games the entire time when they were the ones not responding to the queries.

Either way, delighted to be moving towards closing.

What was the point in them holding things up? what was there to gain?

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What was the point in them holding things up?

They wouldn't tell us when the tenants in the house were due to leave. Apparently wanted us to sign before they even asked the tenants to leave officially.

Are still blaming us for not signing earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Obviously banks look at your savings history as part of a mortgage application but do they take into account how much you pay on rent? I am looking at moving to a place thats €250 a month higher rent, so thats €250 less I can save.

Am I better stay where I am and save the money or how would the banks look at it?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Obviously banks look at your savings history as part of a mortgage application but do they take into account how much you pay on rent? I am looking at moving to a place thats €250 a month higher rent, so thats €250 less I can save.

Am I better stay where I am and save the money or how would the banks look at it?

Depends what bank you're looking to go with, AIB take your rent into account.

Other banks need to see you're saving consistently but AIB will take the amount you're paying in rent consistently in addition to savings.

There might be another bank that does this but AIB is the only one I'm familiar with.

Gael23 wrote: »

They do take into account your rent. And they will look for proof of this on your bank statements, it makes it easier if you set up the standing order as "Rent", so there's no mistaking this.

We are getting keys on Monday.
    I believe the mortgage funds have been requested and we are ready to go on Monday.
    Does anyone know how it goes down on the day? The solicitor said we don't go to their office. So, do we just drop off keys to the purchasers estate agent? And then collect our keys from the vendor's estate agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

We are getting keys on Monday.
    I believe the mortgage funds have been requested and we are ready to go on Monday.
    Does anyone know how it goes down on the day? The solicitor said we don't go to their office. So, do we just drop off keys to the purchasers estate agent? And then collect our keys from the vendor's estate agent?

For your sale, you should drop keys off to the auctioneer once you have cleared the house. Once your solicitor rings you to say that sale has closed, you can cancel any insurance you have. For the purchase, once your solicitor has said it has closed, keys will be picked up from the auctioneers. On the day of closing searches need to be carried out by your purchasing solicitor against those your buying off and the house. Equally your purchaser will do searches against you and the property. These can take a few hours depending on backlog so both may close in the afternoon esp if solicitors are doing same day transfer of funds. Those will need to clear also.

Your solicitors should contact you once the sales have closed.

Dolbhad wrote: »
    For your sale, you should drop keys off to the auctioneer once you have cleared the house. Once your solicitor rings you to say that sale has closed, you can cancel any insurance you have. For the purchase, once your solicitor has said it has closed, keys will be picked up from the auctioneers. On the day of closing searches need to be carried out by your purchasing solicitor against those your buying off and the house. Equally your purchaser will do searches against you and the property. These can take a few hours depending on backlog so both may close in the afternoon esp if solicitors are doing same day transfer of funds. Those will need to clear also.

Your solicitors should contact you once the sales have closed.

Yes the solicitor said it would be the afternoon.
    I really hope it goes over the line tomorrow. I want those keys in my hand. Then I can finally relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Misssally

Has anyone any experience of purchasing a property in probate? I’m just wondering how long the process usually takes, finding varying answers online!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

For anybody who has applied for a mortgage with AIB recently, how long has it taken for full approval once all documents have been submitted on the portal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

For anybody who has applied for a mortgage with AIB recently, how long has it taken for full approval once all documents have been submitted on the portal?

It was about a week for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah it took 2 days to move to underwriters and it was 5 working days on the dot there before the loan pack and letter issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Thanks folks. Have AIP and submitted the last of the documents needed today so was just wondering how long others have been waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Misssally wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of purchasing a property in probate? I’m just wondering how long the process usually takes, finding varying answers online!

really varies wildly. It can take a month or over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,851 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I found AIB the worst of the banks to deal with.

Offered us far less than any of the others (KBC, PTSB, BoI). The others took into account the wife's contracted overtime, AIB lied and said they did to, then admitted they didn't, refused to discuss it and then never returned calls to the underwriter. They also claimed we didn't need them to give us further cash because we had (just) enough saved to cover the shortfall between their offer and our needed amount - the assumption being you don't need to pay solicitors, stamp duty or have money to put a single thing in the house.

Bank of Ireland couldn't have been nicer or quicker with their offer. Gladly went with them, and the wife will be moving her account from AIB to BoI shortly, doesn't want to deal with AIB ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I had to call the ombudsman on AIB the last time I applied there (never again)
    They were requesting documents that a PAYE individual could not provide.

Current mortgage with BOI, looking to move house and it looks like we will be going with PTSB this time

The survey was carried out on my house today. Chatted to the guy on the phone and he said only minor issues, nothing needing urgent attention. Just waiting on the official report now. Hopefully that's another thing ticked off the list. Still worrying about the mortgage protection insurance.

Still worrying about the mortgage protection insurance.

We had the call back from Chill saying our application was successful, no doctor referrals or further questions which was great as himself has only been to the doctor once since he was a child.

Was much easier than we anticipated so hoping it goes well for you!

We had the call back from Chill saying our application was successful, no doctor referrals or further questions which was great as himself has only been to the doctor once since he was a child.

Was much easier than we anticipated so hoping it goes well for you!

Thanks. But I have a long and complex medical history unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Which bank would people generally consider best value at the moment when cash back etc. are all factored in.

Will be applying for circa €150k mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

use bonkers.ie mortgage tools.

there's way too many variables at play here to take some rando's on the Internet's advice on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement