Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

This waiting around to hear back from estate agents really sucks. I'm not the best at dealing with uncertainty so I knew this whole process would make me all twitchy, but it's only been a few days! Patience is a virtue and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Life insurance finally sorted, took almost two weeks! Contracts signed, balance of deposit paid so just waiting on vendors to sign now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

We hoping to go viewing our first houses this weekend. Anyone got any tips. Ive no idea what we should be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

At what point in the process should you be getting a solicitor? Before mortgage approval? Before sale agreed? Or is it only after sale agreed you need one?

Sorry, totally clueless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Konata wrote: »
    At what point in the process should you be getting a solicitor? Before mortgage approval? Before sale agreed? Or is it only after sale agreed you need one?

Sorry, totally clueless!

Ya i wouldn't mind knowing that answer either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

mollybird wrote: »
    Ya i wouldn't mind knowing that answer either.

I got mine sorted just after going sale agreed then went to get an engineer

Our mortgage broker recommended one and we went with him. You only need them once you go sale agreed but it's no harm to get recommendations/quotes in advance of that and then you have the details to give the estate agent as soon as they're needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Konata wrote: »

Sorry, totally clueless!

You only need one once you go sale agreed. It might not be any harm to have one lined up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

mollybird wrote: »
    We hoping to go viewing our first houses this weekend. Anyone got any tips. Ive no idea what we should be doing?

Firstly just see if you like it. I've lost track of the amount of properties I was about to totally discount after about 30 seconds. The EA will typically give you an brochure with measurements, BER rating on it to take away so you can consider all that afterwards in the cold light of day.

If after viewing a house and I liked it, I used to "visit" it at key times of the day to check for things that might not have been apparent at the viewing, like a busy road, or evening parking etc, noise coming from a school etc.

Then if I was happy, I'd put in an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The EA will typically give you an brochure with measurements, BER rating on it to take away so you can consider all that afterwards in the cold light of day.

I stopped getting the brochure because they were taking up space and all that information is typically on daft / myhome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Did anyone have to reapply for their mortgage after the 6 month AIP lapsed?
    Did you contact the bank beforehand to get the ball rolling or how is it best approached?
    Any info would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Just heard back from the estate agent and we're sale agreed! Can't quite believe it! I guess the fun starts now. Obviously nothing set in stone till the contracts are signed but we're really excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Just heard back from the estate agent and we're sale agreed! Can't quite believe it! I guess the fun starts now. Obviously nothing set in stone till the contracts are signed but we're really excited :)

Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Yay! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Did anyone have to reapply for their mortgage after the 6 month AIP lapsed?
    Did you contact the bank beforehand to get the ball rolling or how is it best approached?
    Any info would be great.

I did!

I Just contacted their advisor, said to expect the updated documents (statements, new salary cert etc) to be sent in over that week, was a lot less questions the second time around!

Paid the remainder of my deposit and solicitor fees today. Should have the keys on Friday :)

Woohoo congrats!

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Paid the remainder of my deposit and solicitor fees today. Should have the keys on Friday :)

Thats brilliant. Congrats.
    How long did it take from paying the deposit to closing out?

Naid23 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant. Congrats.
    How long did it take from paying the deposit to closing out?

Paid the booking deposit back in March after we went sale agreed. The contract deposit was paid 20th May. So 3 weeks from paying the contract deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Paid the booking deposit back in March after we went sale agreed. The contract deposit was paid 20th May. So 3 weeks from paying the contract deposit.

That's great! Delighted for you :)

• Advertisement

Wow thats quick! Congrats again.

Wow thats quick! Congrats again.

It should have been much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Congrats :) hopefully be getting keys ourselves in 3/4 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

We've had 2 offers rejected now

House we are looking at is 295 but needs work, the estate agent advised us to come in at 270k, that was rejected.
    We came back at 279k for our second offer and that was quickly rejected.

We are now left scratching our head as to why the estate agent advised 270k to start and is now pushing for close to ask

This is a house we both really want but going over 290 leaves no money left for decorating

A very frustrating day

The estate agent probably thought the vendor would accept the offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

House we are looking at is 295 but needs work, the estate agent advised us to come in at 270k, that was rejected.

We are now left scratching our head as to why the estate agent advised 270k to start and is now pushing for close to ask

This is a house we both really want but going over 290 leaves no money left for decorating

A very frustrating day

I'd stick at 279 if I were you. Leave it a few days and see if they come back to you. Let them contact you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

A very frustrating day

The funny thing is this agent you're dealing with was the one that influenced their asking price in the first place, I have no idea why they would get you to under bid by 25k, while the market is slow I haven't heard of anyone having a bid accepted of up to 10% lower.

Best advice would be don't listen to any agents and do your own thing, you will bid what you can realistically afford and if starts eating into reserves for doing up the house then you just have to move onto the next one.

Best of luck

Oh Really? I always had it in my head that it could take a lot longer for everything to go through. My sisters in laws recently bought a house and it took 3-4 months from deposit to signing contracts and there was no one living in the house they were buying.

House we are looking at is just coming out of probate so hopefully be a quick turnaround. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Sono wrote: »
    The funny thing is this agent you're dealing with was the one that influenced their asking price in the first place, I have no idea why they would get you to under bid by 25k, while the market is slow I haven't heard of anyone having a bid accepted of up to 10% lower.

Best advice would be don't listen to any agents and do your own thing, you will bid what you can realistically afford and if starts eating into reserves for doing up the house then you just have to move onto the next one.

Best of luck

We are going to view the house again tonight, then we will be in our best and final offer tomorrow most likely

• Advertisement

Oh Really? I always had it in my head that it could take a lot longer for everything to go through. My sisters in laws recently bought a house and it took 3-4 months from deposit to signing contracts and there was no one living in the house they were buying.

House we are looking at is just coming out of probate so hopefully be a quick turnaround. :o

The house wasn't occupied and we weren't in a chain. We were going with KBC but they were insufferable to deal with. We eventually gave up on them after 8 weeks and tried BOI. They had our offer letter ready within a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement