Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Sleepy wrote: »
    Yep, that they did, and the fridge...

that is just brilliant. Who does that! I thought the kitchen looked bad in the house im bidding on but that green is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

beanian wrote: »
    anyone else on here stuck in probate limbo?
    we went sale agreed in the middle of March, contracts signed end of May and we are still waiting for probate to come back to complete the sale even though we have been assured it has been expedited once we signed contracts.
    So frustrating as we cant plan anything and the probate office dont provide updates on applications

I'm in probate limbo too. We've been assured that it's been expedited. We went sale agreed in mid May and have exchanged contracts. Would love to hear from anybody who has come out the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Yep, that they did, and the fridge...

When's the house warming, seeing as we all know your address now:p

Only messing, a lovely house, congrats on the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Staph wrote: »
    I'm in probate limbo too. We've been assured that it's been expedited. We went sale agreed in mid May and have exchanged contracts. Would love to hear from anybody who has come out the other end.

When did you sign contracts? Expedited probate should take 4 weeks...it'll be 8 weeks on Friday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

We signed contracts at the end of June and our solicitor mentioned recently that it could take another 3-4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

We got it!!
    Full post to follow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Staph thats very tough. Waiting is awful.

Royalmarine wahoo!!!

Put an offer in on monday morning but still havent heard anything back yet. Dont want to see to keen on the house so when would be best to follow up with the EA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Naid23 wrote: »
    Put an offer in on monday morning but still havent heard anything back yet. Dont want to see to keen on the house so when would be best to follow up with the EA?

I'd follow up.

Placed our first bid. Yikes. There is an under bidder so who knows, hoping there's no bidding war. We've put a budget cap on it so we don't go nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Grrr.....

So frustrating. We were told on Tuesday that the seller had signed, so we went ahead and signed for mortgage to be drawn down and paid rest of the deposit, stamp duty, etc, etc,,

Got confirmation that our solicitor received the money (deposit/fees, etc) into their account this morning, then they said they had been in touch with sellers solicitor because he hadn't signed the contract yet.
    They also said they have requested the mortgage cheque from the bank. How long should that take?

I assume it has to clear into our solicitor acc, then transfer to sellers solicitor acc, so a day for each transfer?

Seems to be dragging his feet for some reason....

I've rang EA to chase him up as to why he didn't actually sign on Tuesday, impaitiently waiting to hear back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Who told you they had signed?

The cheque usually takes about 2 days. Not long at all.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I'd follow up.

Rng him this afternoon and someone has offered 1k over our bid so we've upped ours again - EA seems to be dragging it out. Would love if there was a decision by tomorrow but its more likely to drag out til next week at this rate!

Annoying that we had to call him and not him ring us to tell us there was another bid.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Who told you they had signed?

The EA.
    Our solicitor won't chase them at all, we have to keep ringing the EA to get them to chase seller/solicitor...

The EA.
    Our solicitor won't chase them at all, we have to keep ringing the EA to get them to chase seller/solicitor...

Is that not your solicitors job? Thats silly that you have to keep chasing them.

Naid23 wrote: »
    Is that not your solicitors job? Thats silly that you have to keep chasing them.

Yeah that is his job alright, but when I rang up to ask if the seller had signed/got contracts back at the start of the week, his response was for me to ring the EA and get them to chase him...

Easy to say, we won't be recommending him to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Our experience with solicitors was similar. Customer service doesn't seem to be a concept they're familiar with.

Closed today and got the keys. Utterly overwhelmed with the amount of work to be done and have to move in before the 14th as the lease on our rental ends then.

Delighted but a bit stressed about all the work needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Our experience with solicitors was similar. Customer service doesn't seem to be a concept they're familiar with.

Closed today and got the keys. Utterly overwhelmed with the amount of work to be done and have to move in before the 14th as the lease on our rental ends then.

Delighted but a bit stressed about all the work needed!

You'll get it done though. Wait and see. We've got a room painted, kitchen back splash tiled and starting flooring our bedroom tomorrow. All our selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Congratulations, it feels all the more real when the keys are in your hands!

Congrats Sleepy!!

Santy, thats some good work today.

I'm starting to get ahead of myself so to speak and thinking of what the hell happens next after we go sale agreed?

We need a solicitor right? And the bank say I have to get my own independent advice due to the lack of life insurance for the OH. Does that mean I need another solicitor? Can a family relation (solicitor) be that independent advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Hi all, once your 1st mortage approval runs out, do you have to apply all over again? Wondering because we may be buying privately, but the seller may not be ready to move before approval runs out? Would a contract through solicitors suffice to extend approval.
    Thanks

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Hi all, once your 1st mortage approval runs out, do you have to apply all over again? Wondering because we may be buying privately, but the seller may not be ready to move before approval runs out? Would a contract through solicitors suffice to extend approval.
    Thanks

I know I asked the bank this since getting our approval was torture. You have six months from sale agreed with Haven anyways even if this runs beyond your approval. If sale falls through or it goes past that then you have to reapply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Congrats Sleepy!!

Santy, thats some good work today.

I'm starting to get ahead of myself so to speak and thinking of what the hell happens next after we go sale agreed?

We need a solicitor right? And the bank say I have to get my own independent advice due to the lack of life insurance for the OH. Does that mean I need another solicitor? Can a family relation (solicitor) be that independent advice?

Well we started Tuesday with a bit of help from both fathers, ( both on holidays from work as well) :) we've set the 20th of August to officially move in.
    I don't know about your other question. Is it the mortgage protection ye are struggling to get? Or seperate life assurance?

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Well we started Tuesday with a bit of help from both fathers, ( both on holidays from work as well) :) we've set the 20th of August to officially move in.
    I don't know about your other question. Is it the mortgage protection ye are struggling to get? Or seperate life assurance?

Not to get them, my husband is uninsurable (I've already got a policy ready for the mortgage) so one of the conditions that underwriting has applied is that I get independent legal advice to him before signing. I'm just not sure if I can just use my cousin for it rather than paying a second solicitor :D

We've been counterbid. Have bid again but we won't go much further going by the property price sales in the estate in June we'd be over valuing it. Going to be a long weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

After a bit of a stand still in the last few weeks we did finally close and received our keys this week. A crazy flurry of activity in the end. The actual process of buying a house in this country is incredibly bizarre, at least it currently is to my eye.

Despite being pretty clued up on the actual process, I found myself in the dark a lot of the time about how things were progressing. I found the bidding/counter-bidding situation to be completely lawless at times. We have bought what we consider to be our forever home but to do so we did end up paying over the asking price. The property we have bought was (if the agent is to be believed) under seven different bids at one stage. A couple who offered more than everyone else were turned down because they were in a chain. The only reason we apparently "won" was because we were the only bidders who weren't in a chain despite offering a considerable chunk of money less. Ever the cynic, I don't think I actually ever believed there was a hoard of bidders. I do know that there was at least one other set of bidders (we knew them) but the hype of the agent was borderline parody at times. We had a fair bit of wiggle room with our approval which was great for us but it must be a nightmare for buyers with a strict budget.

We originally applied about a year ago and we were turned down on the basis of minor credit card debt and my OH's student loans. After clearing those and reapplying six months later we were offered a mortgage far greater than seemed reasonable to either of us given the previous rigmarole. We met some incredibly mad characters along the way, including one bank official who was adamant we get married before applying and a surveyor who tried to tell us that a particular property was in a "structurally sound, just completed finish" despite several obvious faults. The prices of places in our area have exploded from the time when we started applying originally to the time we actually purchased. A few similar houses in our area have SA in the last few weeks for €15k (in some cases) more than what we went SA on.

The entire situation just seems mad to me. Absolutely mad.

After a bit of a stand still in the last few weeks we did finally close and received our keys this week. A crazy flurry of activity in the end. The actual process of buying a house in this country is incredibly bizarre, at least it currently is to my eye.

Despite being pretty clued up on the actual process, I found myself in the dark a lot of the time about how things were progressing. I found the bidding/counter-bidding situation to be completely lawless at times. We have bought what we consider to be our forever home but to do so we did end up paying over the asking price. The property we have bought was (if the agent is to be believed) under seven different bids at one stage. A couple who offered more than everyone else were turned down because they were in a chain. The only reason we apparently "won" was because we were the only bidders who weren't in a chain despite offering a considerable chunk of money less. Ever the cynic, I don't think I actually ever believed there was a hoard of bidders. I do know that there was at least one other set of bidders (we knew them) but the hype of the agent was borderline parody at times. We had a fair bit of wiggle room with our approval which was great for us but it must be a nightmare for buyers with a strict budget.

We originally applied about a year ago and we were turned down on the basis of minor credit card debt and my OH's student loans. After clearing those and reapplying six months later we were offered a mortgage far greater than seemed reasonable to either of us given the previous rigmarole. We met some incredibly mad characters along the way, including one bank official who was adamant we get married before applying and a surveyor who tried to tell us that a particular property was in a "structurally sound, just completed finish" despite several obvious faults. The prices of places in our area have exploded from the time when we started applying originally to the time we actually purchased. A few similar houses in our area have SA in the last few weeks for €15k (in some cases) more than what we went SA on.

The entire situation just seems mad to me. Absolutely mad.

Thats very interesting about the bidding. We're bidding right now apparently against someone else. We're really going to have to keep a lid on ourselves because a four bed with a driveway versus our 3 bed with no off street parking sold in June for only 20k more than the current bidding. We set our maximum and we'll have to wait if it doesn't work.

That surveyor seems nuts?!

Have you guys managed to get moved in or is there work to do first?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

The bidding process is horrible.

You find a house which you like, you can imagine yourself living there, and like the neighbourhood. You like it so much that you decide to make an offer.

And then the estate agent tells you someone else is bidding against you. How dare someone else want to live in my house ?

Twice, I had to walk away from what I considered my dream homes because the bidding got past my limit. There is no point in setting a limit and going past it - you'll just end up resenting the cost rather than enjoying the house.

The conveyencing process is totally mad too. Nothing happens for months (four in my case!) and then there's occasional periods of panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Thats very interesting about the bidding. We're bidding right now apparently against someone else. We're really going to have to keep a lid on ourselves because a four bed with a driveway versus our 3 bed with no off street parking sold in June for only 20k more than the current bidding. We set our maximum and we'll have to wait if it doesn't work.

That surveyor seems nuts?!

Have you guys managed to get moved in or is there work to do first?

Not yet, few bits to do to secure the back garden for our dogs and freshen up some parts :) Hopefully next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Hi all.

First time poster (and hopefully buyer!) in this thread. I'll jump straight in... I viewed a property over the weekend that is ticking almost all the boxes I have, and enough that I'm seriously considering it. I've more than 10% of the deposit saved, and am a regular saver, but haven't applied for a mortgage. I got approval in principle earlier this year with KBC but didn't pursue it as I wasn't looking in earnest. However the property in question has fallen into my lap and I've an appointment with the same bank tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone on here who got their mortgage through KBC could tell me how long roughly it took to get full approval once they submitted documents? Thanks a mil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement