Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

We have our first viewings tomorrow. What sort of things should we be looking for/questions we should be asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

SB_Part2 wrote: »

Have these! Really good that you don't need to tape them.

Easily pleased:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

zedhead wrote: »
    We have our first viewings tomorrow. What sort of things should we be looking for/questions we should be asking?

Just try to take everything in, make notes on what you like/don't like.

If you find the layout doesn't suit or the house is too small, move on to the next property.

You'll know when you have found the right one, its a strange feeling, almost like you know your home.

So much for hoping to get closed and keys today, sellers solicitor has decided to take the day off...so frickin frustrating, have loads of stuff that we want to get started on rather than sitting about each evening and weekend with nothing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Just try to take everything in, make notes on what you like/don't like.

If you find the layout doesn't suit or the house is too small, move on to the next property.

You'll know when you have found the right one, its a strange feeling, almost like you know your home.

So much for hoping to get closed and keys today, sellers solicitor has decided to take the day off...so frickin frustrating, have loads of stuff that we want to get started on rather than sitting about each evening and weekend with nothing to do!

Yeah it's a pure pain, only for the EA letting me know the sellers solicitor was going on holidays a few weeks back we'd still be waiting for keys. The builder facilitated us and gave the keys to the EA and then gave them to us so that we could get work done. Master bedroom is painted abs floored, kitchen walls are tiled. All that needs doing now is shower door for en suite, appliances delivered and fitted, blinds are ordered so they should be in next week, gate is made just needs to be put on. 20th August is moving in day :) (Hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Laghan

Brioscai wrote: »
    Laghan, if I was you I would save, save, save and wait until your partner gets a job or else borrow and get the biggest house in the best possible area. As someone who had your plan and got hit by the bust in a tiny house, getting older, then with kids, I would steer anyone away from thinking they could trade up easily. In a year and a half, your partner will contribute to your spending power. Or else, I'd buy the bigger house, with help and rent a room or get students. While things might be tight the first year, presumably with your partner working next year, you would comfortably afford the loan and mortgage. I would offer what you think you can get away with on property 2 or else stop looking and keep saving for another year.
    Definitely keep saving. The second house looks ideal but realistically you're at least 10k off it right now.

You can check the XXXXXX for what price the houses are actually achieving but if it was recent enough it might not have been updated yet. It'll still give you an idea for the area though.

Thanks guys... it's kind of the sensible option really isn't it? I just really want things to happen yesterday and I'm worried that in another 5 months the prices will have gone up again. I checked the PPR, there have been only a couple of houses sold on the street in the last few years and nothing very recent, so it's difficult to tell. I'll probably make an offer next week of the max we can afford, it's a good bit less than the asking price but the worst that can happen is he will say no and we will just have to save for longer and keep looking.

We went to see option number 1 again today for the second time and have decided it's definitely not for us. There are already 2 people bidding and it's at 98k, there's also too much work to be done and there seems to be a few dodgy characters in the square! So the hunt continues!!! *sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Regarding boxes for moving we got a moving kit from http://www.Boxdepot.ie (disclaimer: no connection whatsoever except as a one time customer).
    They came flat packed so just had to tape them up, fill, label and tape closed.

Have them mostly disassembled now so if anyone wants them they are welcome to them (Leixlip area, working in Blanch during the week, in st judes gaa club twice a week evening time). PM me if interested, otherwise they will be recycled.

Also got some big see through containers from B&Q - expensive though, 20 quid, but they are useful for long term storage, especially with being able to see into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

For those in the process of saving, and considering the external costs of purchasing, our final "extras" bill came to €5,320. That figure includes stamp duty, land registry fees, engineers report, professional solicitors fees and search fees. The house in question is in Cork City and is not a new build.

Edit: we also got some plastic, clip-top boxes. Fairly sturdy for the moving process and are handy for storage in general. Purchased them from Home Store and More fairly cheaply considering their strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Look's like we are going to have to have the bank valuation redone. It'll be 2 months at the end of this week and I highly doubt we will be drawing the mortgage down in the next few days. Only €65, but still a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Look's like we are going to have to have the bank valuation redone. It'll be 2 months at the end of this week and I highly doubt we will be drawing the mortgage down in the next few days. Only €65, but still a pain.

Aw i saw your name pop up and hoped you had exciting news :( it's progress at least!
    Thanks to the poster for the "extras" figure. Handy to get a rough idea.

Well I emailed the solicitor and said, the valuation will be out of date on the 14th of August and that I assumed we wouldn't draw down by then so should I go ahead and organise to have it redone. he said "let me check the file". I'd be surprised if it happened by the end of the week. The vendors solicitor would have received our signed contracts on either the 2nd or 3rd and i don't think we've received our copy back yet.

• Advertisement

Well I emailed the solicitor and said, the valuation will be out of date on the 14th of August and that I assumed we wouldn't draw down by then so should I go ahead and organise to have it redone. he said "let me check the file". I'd be surprised if it happened by the end of the week. The vendors solicitor would have received our signed contracts on either the 2nd or 3rd and i don't think we've received our copy back yet.

We were on the same boat but didn't have to pay for the 2nd valuation, all the auctioneer did was resend the old one with a new date

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Staph wrote: »
    I'm in probate limbo too. We've been assured that it's been expedited. We went sale agreed in mid May and have exchanged contracts. Would love to hear from anybody who has come out the other end.

Probate has finally come back on Friday last week, took 9 weeks from requesting an expedite till issue. Got all excited as I expected all we had to do was drawdown and close, however it turns out we now need to wait on Dublin City Council to issue their consent for the sale (old council house) and that can take 3 weeks!
    Our mortgage expires on the 15th so we can either re-apply or drawdown now and sit on the cash till closing, accruing 2 weeks of interest in the process :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Can anyone recommend an Engineer/building surveyor to carry out a pre purchase inspection and a solicitor in the north county Dublin area?

Thanks

Mod: by pm only please

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

beanian wrote: »
    Probate has finally come back on Friday last week, took 9 weeks from requesting an expedite till issue. Got all excited as I expected all we had to do was drawdown and close, however it turns out we now need to wait on Dublin City Council to issue their consent for the sale (old council house) and that can take 3 weeks!
    Our mortgage expires on the 15th so we can either re-apply or drawdown now and sit on the cash till closing, accruing 2 weeks of interest in the process :mad::mad::mad:

Can you not extend the current mortgage by showing the bank evidence that its in progress and you just waiting on x, y or z?

I'm pretty sure our bank said this when we asked what would happen if we went over the offer period.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

For those who are in their new houses, how much time elapsed between signing contracts and getting the keys? I signed last week and am hoping to close by end of the month but I know that is dependent on a number of factors. Hope it can happen in that time cos otherwise I'm on the streets as of 31 August....

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

beanian wrote: »

Thanks for the information. Hope you don't have too much trouble with the final part.
    At this point, we will have to get a new valuation as ours is over 2 months old. Once we have news, we will request an up to date copy. Hopefully it happens soon :)
    Save

For those who are in their new houses, how much time elapsed between signing contracts and getting the keys? I signed last week and am hoping to close by end of the month but I know that is dependent on a number of factors. Hope it can happen in that time cos otherwise I'm on the streets as of 31 August....
    We went sale agreed on the 9th of April got keys the 22nd of July. All the contracts were signed before the 31st of May

Santy2015 wrote: »
    We went sale agreed on the 9th of April got keys the 22nd of July. All the contracts were signed before the 31st of May

Thanks Santy, I'm sale agreed since mid-May and just signed contracts, hoping the rest will happen swiftly now but you just never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Santy2015 wrote: »

What was the delay?!

What was the delay?!

In my case there has been no specific issue or delay, it has taken about 13 weeks to get this far. Hence hoping things will speed up now for the final hurdle :o

• Advertisement

What was the delay?!

Yeah that seems like a really long time from contracts to keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Yeah that seems like a really long time from contracts to keys.

I don't think it seems that long. The average time is 4-6 weeks. Things like holidays etc around this time of year can push things out a bit longer.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I don't think it seems that long. The average time is 4-6 weeks. Things like holidays etc around this time of year can push things out a bit longer.

From contracts being signed by both parties to getting keys can sometimes happen in a week or two so end of May to 22nd July seems a bit long, hope I'm not looking at a similar wait :cool:

EA and solicitors saying to us 4-6 to keys not 4-6 between contracts and keys?! That seems awfully long

6 weeks would be great but be prepared for it to be longer. Mine has taken 12 weeks to get to signing contracts, looking at a few more now to get keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My former housemate went from offer to keys in just over two weeks. The main reason was that he was a cash buyer and buying a property that didn't have a mortgage on it. Haven't heard of anything that fast where banks are involved.

We've nothing further in terms of approval with banks just the actual drawdown stuff. Valuation is tomorrow at 12. Structural survey etc all done. We'll be a week sale agreed tomorrow. Sellers want a quick sale and have even given our solicitor their solicitors details so hopefully all will be quick

What was the delay?!

It was on the builders side, took his sweet time once he got his deposit to finish off some of the jobs to get us to closing. Should've been a lot earlier.

Getting inpatient now. Solicitor never emailed me back yesterday. Can't set up the home insurance without a firm closing date. Just want to be out of where we currently are and into our lovely new house! So much to do and I want to get the ball rolling on stuff.

• Advertisement

Getting inpatient now. Solicitor never emailed me back yesterday. Can't set up the home insurance without a firm closing date. Just want to be out of where we currently are and into our lovely new house! So much to do and I want to get the ball rolling on stuff.

I got boxes yesterday (courtesy of krazyklown thank you!) and I'm starting the spare room today. The plan is to gradually dump/pack up the non every day stuff in the house to make the move easier. However given we are going to be caught on notice to the landlord we're probably going to have a few extra weeks of rent paid even after we get keys.

I'll repost the boxes here when we get in Krazyklown, someone else might want them then!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement