Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

1st night sleeping in the new house, guest bed made up in spare room which we are using til the master bedroom is complete.

Just getting used to the different surroundings and find other little bits and pieces to be done, all in good time...

Stick at it everyone, over 15 weeks of stress and hassle, but the peacefulness of our own place was worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Went to view a house this morning- was easily 50 people there, couldnt believe it. Definately the most ive seen in one viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Naid23 wrote: »
    Went to view a house this morning- was easily 50 people there, couldnt believe it. Definately the most ive seen in one viewing!

I've easily seen that unfortunately!
    Some tend to come in groups with parents and friends...
    I guess there may only really be 20 parties out of that 50 and maybe only 10% will actually put bids on.
    Don't forget loads come just out of noseyness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Never been so eager for a Monday! Hopefully in the morning Haven will confirm they have the original life policy and then it will be onto issuing the funds.

If I get anymore of this nonsense from the broker about "Oh they definitely have it, it must just be waiting to be scanned" I'm gonna get really annoyed. If Haven are saying they absolutely do not have it, how can the broker be so sure they do!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I guess there may only really be 20 parties out of that 50 and maybe only 10% will actually put bids on.

Yeah true - think the fact that the house was smaller then others it just exaggerated it more. Not a house we will be bidding on but would say there will be a few having a go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

whiskeyman wrote: »

I agree, even when we were viewing there were plenty that we just went to view because it was near one we liked and we wanted to get an idea of what houses on that road were like.

The large group of people are the most annoying because they usually crowd into the one room / hall making it hard to get past. I remember one day there was a couple, with one set of parents and their young baby in a carrier. They were on the same viewing route as us so we saw them about 5 times. In every house the would leave the baby on the ground in the carrier with at least 2 people in the hall for the whole viewing. This made it impossible to get past, especially at the end when you would also have all 4 in the hall asking the estate agent questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

A very annoying thing happened on Thursday. A couple we know were viewing a house similar to ours in the same estate. The EA said she'd show them a nearly finished house after viewing a bare one. She arrived on went in and there was water everywhere in the nearly finished house. Then the EA proceeded to try and show this couple our house 2 doors down. The locks are changed and she tried to use her keys to get in. The house is sold not in builders name anymore. How dare she try and invade our privacy with such arrogance. It's seriously aggravating, same EA basically laughed at us when we made a bid on a different house in the same estate, we proceeded to deal with a different EA who was good in fairness. Won't name the company but they're a huge business in this country.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    A very annoying thing happened on Thursday. A couple we know were viewing a house similar to ours in the same estate. The EA said she'd show them a nearly finished house after viewing a bare one. She arrived on went in and there was water everywhere in the nearly finished house. Then the EA proceeded to try and show this couple our house 2 doors down. The locks are changed and she tried to use her keys to get in. The house is sold not in builders name anymore. How dare she try and invade our privacy with such arrogance. It's seriously aggravating, same EA basically laughed at us when we made a bid on a different house in the same estate, we proceeded to deal with a different EA who was good in fairness. Won't name the company but they're a huge business in this country.

Wow what cheek!! My friend was telling me that there is somewhere you can complain about estate agents- auctioneers board i think it was. Am sure google can find it.

Good thing you changed the locks when you did- thats absolutely shocking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Is a survey mandatory for the mortgage? I had been told it was but the solicitor says not - he'd recommend one, but it's not a necessity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Is a survey mandatory for the mortgage? I had been told it was but the solicitor says not - he'd recommend one, but it's not a necessity

Think it depends on the after of the house. But i'd recommend getting one anyway

• Advertisement

Wow what cheek!! My friend was telling me that there is somewhere you can complain about estate agents- auctioneers board i think it was. Am sure google can find it.

Good thing you changed the locks when you did- thats absolutely shocking!!

Cheek is right, if locks hadn't been changed she would've went in. I'm still raging about it.

Depends on age of the house but regardless I'd get it done for peace of mind. It could be the best €350/€500 you spend

Thanks - we've got an engineer and builer in the family who could do the job fron our perspective, just wondering whether a formal sign off is needed

Thanks - we've got an engineer and builer in the family who could do the job fron our perspective, just wondering whether a formal sign off is needed

Our solicitor insisted on the report being signed off and the snag list

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

If you're getting a mortgage, the bank will require you to have the house valued.

It's always worth getting your own survey. The building surveyor will know exactly what to look for - building repairs are expensive so it's a false economy not to have a proper structural survey done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Looks like it will be Thursday now when we close. The broker has no sense of urgency about any of it.

Looks like it will be Thursday now when we close. The broker has no sense of urgency about any of it.

thats really frustrating alright. Hope you get it sorted this week.

If you're getting a mortgage, the bank will require you to have the house valued.

It's always worth getting your own survey. The building surveyor will know exactly what to look for - building repairs are expensive so it's a false economy not to have a proper structural survey done.

Thanks - we've got both arranged. The attic has been converted - they're not calling it a bedroom (though its currently being used as one), but the builder I brought along to see it thinks it could be a problem regardless, as it's not up to fire regs. It doesn't bother me personally, but I want to be sure it doesn't stop me buying / insuring / selling the property later.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Hi all,
    I am reading this tread for a while now and now its time for me to ask a few questions.
    We fell in love with a house some month ago, got Mortgage approval last week went to have a second good look and at the moment we are in the price talk but it looks good as we are not too far appart. As it is in a rural area in the west we have no bidding wars, thank god.
    Now the EA recommended a survey, we wanted to get one anyway, and Im not sure really how to find a surveyor. I went on google but there are just pages which want to give me quotes, maybe thats how it works but I am not sure.
    Then the bank wants a valuation, can a surveyor do this or do have have to get somebody else?
    I have to say, I thought I read so much about the whole process but now I thing I have not a tiny little clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

You can find a surveyor here: https://www.scsi.ie/members/search

The bank will usually give you a list of valuers you can pick or will send their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Thanks a lot for the quick answer, only thing could not find one in my county.
    It is building surveyor I need isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

So, 2 weeks after getting keys and it'll now be Sunday before we move in.

Found a load of issues the surveyor missed or under-rated, have had to have two rooms chipped back to the brick and re-bonded and plastered and the windows are in far worse condition than noted in is report... Luckily I was able to re-juggle our finances a bit to cover the plastering work and got it at a very good rate but it was still north of two and a half grand of unexpected expenditure.

One tip for anyone who'll be taking out home improvement loans after closing is to go talk to a bank, the credit union rates are far higher than the main banks at the moment and with a bank loan, there's no need to leave a chunk of your savings in place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We need a cert from the homeowners for the bank and the building surveyor. Turns out that's not what the EA sent us. The EA was like, yeah I thought that wasn't a cert. We're like, well why the hell didn't you go back and ask for the cert when that's what we requested?!!! Ridiculous behaviour and now our loan offer is delayed

We need a cert from the homeowners for the bank and the building surveyor. Turns out that's not what the EA sent us. The EA was like, yeah I thought that wasn't a cert. We're like, well why the hell didn't you go back and ask for the cert when that's what we requested?!!! Ridiculous behaviour and now our loan offer is delayed

why do you need a cert from the home owners? am i missing something - havent heard of that before.

why do you need a cert from the home owners? am i missing something - havent heard of that before.

Pyrite estate. Fully remedied and covered by the home bond but we need the cert before we'd buy. Our surveyor is very confident the work is perfect (he knows the group who did it) but we need the paper for things like home insurance and obviously the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Siipina wrote: »
    We fell in love with a house some month ago

This is a very dangerous thing to do - make sure the vendors don't realise this!

The bank will have a list of acceptable valuers, e.g. locally to me two of the estate agents are accepted (but not if buying off them). The EA will also know surveyors although there is a slight risk asking them as you may get one that's a bit, eh, 'nicer' than they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Laghan

I’m looking for advice on this situation if anyone is willing to offer an opinion..
    I am interested in 2 houses. House 1 is my preferred option, it just scores more points overall.
    I went to view house 1 today again for the 2nd time, the EA said that it is in receivership and they will probably wrap up the sale once they get the asking price. There are no offers in on the property yet but it’s only been on the market for 2 weeks. She also mentioned that if a lower bid was offered, what usually happens with receivers is that they just hold out for a higher bid. As an EA I would expect her to say that, I’m sure she wants to get the most from the property but I am not guaranteed the house if I offer the asking price either, in which case I’m just driving up the price?

On Friday, I put in an offer on house 2 against 1 other bidder. The EA said he would speak with the seller today. Apparently the other bidder had until lunchtime today to make a counter offer and they haven’t come back, the seller is happy to give me the house at what I offered.

So, what’s the best move here? House 2 is looking for booking deposit over next few days. Do ye think it’s a good/bad idea to offer house 1 the asking price in the hopes that they remove it from the market? Does it make a difference that it’s a receiver in anyway?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated…. I really didn’t think this would all happen so quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Which house do you want?

If it was me I'd go for the house that wasn't in receivership.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Laghan

SB_Part2 wrote:
    If it was me I'd go for the house that wasn't in receivership.

Thanks for response, I would be happy with either house but house 1 scores more points. Why would you avoid receiverships?

• Advertisement

We were told by the EA that receivers have been known to pull the property even if it achieves asking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement