Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

My solicitor has our keys and is awaiting the title searches

How long do they normally take?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

sadie1502 wrote: »
    I would consult a reputable contractor for a quote. That really is your best option.

This.
    It's so hard to give any sort of quote from your information and you're best to give someone in the know a look at the property or at least a viewing.
    Don't forget things like possible re-wiring, insulation, changes of rads / pipes, windows and anything else.
    Some houses can be total money pits too...
    Best of luck!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

MrMac84 wrote: »
    My solicitor has our keys and is awaiting the title searches

How long do they normally take?

Not long I believe, something like an afternoon/3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

will there be anything in the budget for saving schemes/first time buyer initiative? help to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

guile4582 wrote: »
    will there be anything in the budget for saving schemes/first time buyer initiative? help to buy?

The Government have been kite flying an idea about tax credits for first time buyers that are gradually introduced. They're trying their best to not influence the prices as just giving extra money to people pushes prices up for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I sure hope not.
    Anything like that will just push prices up by whatever that 'grant' etc.. will be... and probably more.

It may seem like the thing to help FTBs, but it will greatly hinder them in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I sure hope not.
    Anything like that will just push prices up by whatever that 'grant' etc.. will be... and probably more.

It may seem like the thing to help FTBs, but it will greatly hinder them in reality.

Coveney seems to have taken some proper advice in relation to housing. We'll have to see what's announced in the budget but let's hope nothing undermines the mortgage lending rules already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

Thanks for advise! We have saved €20,000 for repairs/rennovations but I'm just not sure how far that would stretch!

Get a few builders in to quote you on the work involved. There is always a risk involved here so ultimately at the end of the day it’s up to you and how much of a risk you are willing to take. Just get as much info as you can, IE structural surveys, builder quotes etc. Don't limit yourself to one builder, a friend of a friend or one person’s advice.. Get as much independent advice as you can and decide for yourself as you'll be the one paying if something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

Siipina wrote: »
    Just got a call from the live cover insurance, they want to do a medical test with me. What do they do? And what if I fail?
    I am not sick. I had diabetes in pregnancy and my Mom died on cancer but is that a reason ?

Life protection companies try to avoid at all costs paying for a nurse or doctors visit so for them to do this they must really want to confirm what you are saying. A positive is that this may be a quick turnaround as you could be waiting weeks for a doctor to sign a PMA form (I was waiting 7 weeks). You can always look around to different life protection companies as some more than others can look upon your circumstances in a completely differently light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I sure hope not.

The more they tinker the more they distort the market. I am not in a position to buy yet, but there is such uncertainty around housing, particularly for FTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 HouseHeating

Another question, we have our approval in principle since July. Does anyone know if we go sale agreed on house and apply for our actual mortgage - do we need to resubmit everything like bank statements and salary letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hopefully not.

Hopefully there will be policies to drive up supply, not measures to help demand.

We need lower costs and more supply.

Rew wrote: »
    Not long I believe, something like an afternoon/3 hours

As I posted this my phone rang to collect the keys

Sorted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Received our survey results and a call from the bank to say Letter of Offer is in the post yesterday.

Nothing of any interest really in the survey, minor wear and tear.

Also received my cheque from An Post for our state savings so need to open joint account and get that lodged next week. Such a pain that we both have to take an afternoon off work to do that, banks have terrible opening hours for people with full time jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Received our survey results and a call from the bank to say Letter of Offer is in the post yesterday.

Also received my cheque from An Post for our state savings so need to open joint account and get that lodged next week. Such a pain that we both have to take an afternoon off work to do that, banks have terrible opening hours for people with full time jobs!

All go for you, great to see it all happening for you now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

A lot of Ulster Bank branches open on Saturday mornings and have done for years, I'm surprised other banks haven't followed suit.

Monife wrote: »
    A lot of Ulster Bank branches open on Saturday mornings and have done for years, I'm surprised other banks haven't followed suit.

Yeah, it's pretty customer unfriendly of the rest of them. This is why myself and himself are together 10+ years but no joint account!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Yeah, it's pretty customer unfriendly of the rest of them. This is why myself and himself are together 10+ years but no joint account!

You can set up accounts online without having to go to the bank. And unless you want to deposit cash there is very little reason to visit an actual branch anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

We set up our joint account online, I think my partner faxed in some extra documents they looked for but it was quite straightforward. We never went in to the bank during the week.

matrim wrote: »
    You can set up accounts online without having to go to the bank. And unless you want to deposit cash there is very little reason to visit an actual branch anymore.

The bank has told us we have to physically present. I actually asked on the Talk To forum here, so the answer is there for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The bank has told us we have to physically present. I actually asked on the Talk To forum here, so the answer is there for all to see.

Strange I set it up online with BoI. All I had to do was take a picture / copy of our ID and email it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

We set up with BOI this week online. Put in the application Monday night and got our account number confirmed on Thursday. It was really easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We signed! Solicitor reckons vendors will stick to their dates so we will have keys in the next two weeks.... I'm still not breathing until they actually sign as well

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Laghan

We will be 4 weeks sale agreed tomorrow. Have gotten engineers report on the house, letter of offer from the bank has been received by myself and the solicitor. The contracts from the other side haven't yet been received yet though, is it normal for it to take this long.. well, I know nothing is normal in this game but generally speaking, how long does it usually take? I'm worried about the sale falling through and missing out on other properties and house prices rapidly rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Everyone seems to be going great,
    Our story, had mortgage approval few months back, got outbid on country property, lost interest as we were looking in a very specific area, not much houses come up for sale, a house came up for sale 2 weeks ago that we loved, got re-approval, bid on it after we seen it, came up to close to asking price subject to removal from the market, sale agreed, booking deposit paid over, letter of offer on the way from the bank. Very exciting times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

We signed! Solicitor reckons vendors will stick to their dates so we will have keys in the next two weeks.... I'm still not breathing until they actually sign as well

Woohoo! :D
    Really happy for you!

Got my keys Friday.... Now the front garden looks like Cork city dump there's so much crap in it! Best of luck everyone

matrim wrote: »
    Strange I set it up online with BoI. All I had to do was take a picture / copy of our ID and email it in.
    zedhead wrote: »
    We set up with BOI this week online. Put in the application Monday night and got our account number confirmed on Thursday. It was really easy.

I'm not with BOI, I'm with AIB.

Useful to know re BOI though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

Long time reader but very seldom poster.

Great to see so many people getting the keys to there new homes! Really envy you!

Just looking for some advice here. Myself and the missus have 35k saved for our first home. At the moment I'm working full time (permanent). My missus is working in a salon but is getting paid cash. However as she has a child from a previous relationship she is also getting single parents (yes I know this is wrong but she is giving it up next month) the salon have offered her full time work in the next 3 weeks to cover maternity leave on a full time basis but it might only be for a minimum of 7 months and a maximum of 9 or 10months. We are currently renting the last 2 years paying €1250 p/m.

My question is, will they consider my missus for a joint application? Do they take into account that we have been renting? And also my bank is with permanent TSB, are these good to continue investing with? Iv read about mortgages.ie aswell and was thinking of going to them for some advice.

If anyone can help answer them questions for me or even add additional advice I'd be very greatful.

Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Went to the bank Friday to drop off our offer to loan documents, got the copies of the valuation and they bank guy said from this side everything is done. So great. Now we are waiting for the contracts, had a chat with our solicitor Friday as well and she will push the vendors solicitor now.
    The vendors gave us their tel number so if we have any questions we can come back to them. Did that today to ask what kind of internet they have and if it would maybe possible to get the measurement of the bedroom so we can order the bed. No Problem at all but it looks a bit wild as they are packing. So I guess the risk of them pulling out is very small now and maybe we really get the key end of the month. That would be so great as we need to move and every day earlier is better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement