Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

Will the bank look for more paperwork at this point? I have the full offer and already shown proof of funds with those statements.

It'll do no harm to take all the paperwork with you to the solicitor, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yellowballon

Will the bank look for more paperwork at this point? I have the full offer and already shown proof of funds with those statements.

It'll do no harm to take all the paperwork with you to the solicitor, just in case.

Of course - thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

We signed last week and that's all we needed. Hadn't needed to see the solicitor before then so I suppose just find out why he wants to see you!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

nothing quite like an EA saying that they will revert to you by lunchtime monday only to hear nothing and when you call it turns out they are on annual leave. i give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

cnlbel wrote: »
    nothing quite like an EA saying that they will revert to you by lunchtime monday only to hear nothing and when you call it turns out they are on annual leave. i give up.

Wow!! Unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Bids in on a new house - Round 5 here we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Contracts arrived this morning. Solicitor send me email today, will check everything and come back to me either today or tomorrow. Hubby is off tomorrow that would be just perfect if the solicitor can manage that. What is the usual timeframe between signing contract and closing date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

They signed!!! Keys on Friday :):) I'm so frigging happy!!

Having said that got a minor kick in the teeth this evening when our broker told us that having the insurance policy start on Friday was too late as the bank won't release funds until we have insurance so we need to be insured from a few days before then. Nearly flipped my lid, why the hell would you not tell us that before now ffs?! Anyways it seems to be all sorted but for everyone out there you need to insure the house before they will release funds to your solicitor (who then does the transfer to the other party) and not start the insurance from the day you are due to get keys. Luckily our insurance guys are awesome and had confirmation by email late this evening and will have a digital copy of the letter to us first thing.

Friday!! OMG we are so close :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Having said that got a minor kick in the teeth this evening when our broker told us that having the insurance policy start on Friday was too late as the bank won't release funds until we have insurance so we need to be insured from a few days before then. Nearly flipped my lid, why the hell would you not tell us that before now ffs?! Anyways it seems to be all sorted but for everyone out there you need to insure the house before they will release funds to your solicitor (who then does the transfer to the other party) and not start the insurance from the day you are due to get keys. Luckily our insurance guys are awesome and had confirmation by email late this evening and will have a digital copy of the letter to us first thing.

It's finally happening for you!! :) delighted, fair play to you

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Yep, there'll always be something like that in the final days and usually something which could easily have been avoided. Hope you're home and dry now!

I didn't have to show any proof that my house was insured before getting the keys, I offered the paperwork to the bank but they said they didn't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Naid23 wrote: »
    Bids in on a new house - Round 5 here we go!

I'm joining you again Naid!

*ding ding*

/Comes out from the corner with bloodied nose, swollen eye but wants to finish on this round!

Best of luck!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Survey results are now a week overdue!! Broker doesn't want to sort valuation until we have the survey results so it is delaying things slightly. All updated paperwork has been submitted so really just waiting on suvery/valuation before we can start pushing the other side to see where they are at regarding contracts etc.

Very frustrating just sitting around waiting and nothing we can do!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'm joining you again Naid!

*ding ding*

/Comes out from the corner with bloodied nose, swollen eye but wants to finish on this round!

Best of luck!

:pac:

I'm just about standing up i've been beaten back so much :):)
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Whiskeyman and Naid- best of luck, you have more experience and knowledge behind you now so that can only go in your favour-you also know not to get too invested so the fight this time round won't be as tough hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GinaI

Hi, my sale was closed off last week and I got a key! However, the seller’s furniture ( and rubbish) is still in the house. And agent still have a key as well. It was agreed that I am buying a house without furniture. What is my legal position on this? I want to move ASAP! I offered to buy some furniture of the seller but I requested for rubbish to be removed as well. Haven’t heard back. Totally confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The house should be empty unless the contents are part of the sale. Get onto your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

GinaI wrote: »
    Hi, my sale was closed off last week and I got a key! However, the seller’s furniture ( and rubbish) is still in the house. And agent still have a key as well. It was agreed that I am buying a house without furniture. What is my legal position on this? I want to move ASAP! I offered to buy some furniture of the seller but I requested for rubbish to be removed as well. Haven’t heard back. Totally confused now.

Get on to your solictor and notify the estate agent that you will be progressing legal action. The Agents also needs to give you back your key. Or it might be worthwhile changing the locks for your own peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Went through a broker to get my mortgage based on house we had already bid on. Offer accepted, and confirmation of agreed offer from Estate Agent. Valuation for the bank complete & mortgage approval has been received. :D Now just waiting on the sellers solicitors to send the sale contract to my solicitor as the surveyor won't go out until he has copies of all the plans & land deeds etc.

Broker dropped me a mail yesterday to say the mortgage approval was through and drop in for a chat on the next steps...called in and he drops the bomb that his fee is €500 and is now due. All along when talking to him and the different costs involved he always just kept saying not to worry about him, so I had presumed he would be paid via commission from the bank.

I obviously have no choice but to pay, not going to jepordise the sale, but so annoying he wouldn't just have said from the start that it was 500 quid. :mad:
    I will be making a big effort now to sort my own life & house insurance just so he doesn't get the additional commision on those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Change your locks anyway.

Tell the estate agent that you'll be invoicing them for the skip hire for the furniture if it's not removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

@Bored Accountant that's really ****ty. I didn't think any brokers charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Went through a broker to get my mortgage based on house we had already bid on. Offer accepted, and confirmation of agreed offer from Estate Agent. Valuation for the bank complete & mortgage approval has been received. :D Now just waiting on the sellers solicitors to send the sale contract to my solicitor as the surveyor won't go out until he has copies of all the plans & land deeds etc.

Broker dropped me a mail yesterday to say the mortgage approval was through and drop in for a chat on the next steps...called in and he drops the bomb that his fee is €500 and is now due. All along when talking to him and the different costs involved he always just kept saying not to worry about him, so I had presumed he would be paid via commission from the bank.

I obviously have no choice but to pay, not going to jepordise the sale, but so annoying he wouldn't just have said from the start that it was 500 quid. :mad:
    I will be making a big effort now to sort my own life & house insurance just so he doesn't get the additional commision on those.

Was there any contact for a fee? Can you just refuse to pay him and take over the dealing with the bank yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

Most brokers work on commission from the bank. It defeats the whole purpose of going through a broker if you have to pay them.

Check all of the paperwork and see if there's a reference to €500 anywhere. If not, tell him you assumed he would be paid by the bank, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

matrim wrote: »
    Was there any contact for a fee? Can you just refuse to pay him and take over the dealing with the bank yourself?

Yea there was a note in contract signed that his fee was €120 an hour but an estimate would be provided at the start (I need to check the wording of that when I get home from work).
    Mortgage is with Haven Mortgages and they only deal directly with brokers. For the sake of 500 quid on a 210,000 mortgage I'm not going to cause the deal to fall over, but I won't be recommending him to people to use!!!

Its just annoying when we are already tight on funds for deposit, solictor, surveryor (€500 plus VAT) that annoyed me too. :mad:

I won't care once I have they keys of the house :cool:

Got the contracts and closing date could be Friday but it doesn't look like it. Somehow it seems like there is no planning permission. Totally confused now. Unfortunately the solicitor just send us the email and now it's too late to call them to explain it. Solicitor wrote that we should get our engineer ( we don't have one) and go down to the office to search for the planning permission? As I would know what to look for . Does anyone have any experiences with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Siipina wrote: »
    Got the contracts and closing date could be Friday but it doesn't look like it. Somehow it seems like there is no planning permission. Totally confused now. Unfortunately the solicitor just send us the email and now it's too late to call them to explain it. Solicitor wrote that we should get our engineer ( we don't have one) and go down to the office to search for the planning permission? As I would know what to look for . Does anyone have any experiences with this?

We had experience with this, eventually pulled out for another reason but the seller had to apply for retention when it was found the house was built in the wrong location on site and larger than permitted. Did the solicitor say "no planning" or incorrect planning?

You can possibly check online - look up the county council website, most have an online search facility for planning applications, with many you can search by map. Pull up the property you're buying and check the planning history on it - it may be obvious whether there is planning permission or not, but you will probably need an engineer to check finer details such as compliance. Banks will generally not lend where there is a doubt over planning, as the asset is not saleable again in their view without retention planning being obtained. Retention planning can take a long time and if the property is less recent, the planners may come up with conditions such as treatment systems being replaced, or sightlines being provided, some of which are costly and/or difficult to comply with.

PM if you want help with searching planning files.

Zzippy wrote: »
    We had experience with this, eventually pulled out for another reason but the seller had to apply for retention when it was found the house was built in the wrong location on site and larger than permitted. Did the solicitor say "no planning" or incorrect planning?

You can possibly check online - look up the county council website, most have an online search facility for planning applications, with many you can search by map. Pull up the property you're buying and check the planning history on it - it may be obvious whether there is planning permission or not, but you will probably need an engineer to check finer details such as compliance. Banks will generally not lend where there is a doubt over planning, as the asset is not saleable again in their view without retention planning being obtained. Retention planning can take a long time and if the property is less recent, the planners may come up with conditions such as treatment systems being replaced, or sightlines being provided, some of which are costly and/or difficult to comply with.

PM if you want help with searching planning files.[/QUOTE

Thanks a lot for your answer.
    Solicitor said no planning, I m sure the planning is there as the vendors had a mortgage as well on it and bought the house 2004. Hopefully its going to be ok. I ll check the county council site.
    website goes only back until 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Siipina wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your answer.
    Solicitor said no planning, I m sure the planning is there as the vendors had a mortgage as well on it and bought the house 2004. Hopefully its going to be ok. I ll check the county council site.
    website goes only back until 2001.

Do you know when the house was built? You can go into the council offices and look up older panning files that are not available online. The house we were interested in was early 1970s and it was easy to get the file from the planning office in person. Also, if it was built before 1963 (I think) it will not have required planning permission.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do you know when the house was built? You can go into the council offices and look up older panning files that are not available online. The house we were interested in was early 1970s and it was easy to get the file from the planning office in person. Also, if it was built before 1963 (I think) it will not have required planning permission.

The house was build 1981. Then I guess will be down to the council in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Tasden wrote: »
    It's finally happening for you!! :) delighted, fair play to you

Brilliant :) let the fun begin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Closedown date 7th of October what does that mean ? Do we get the keys that day ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement